Kodi Beta version discussion thread

im85288

dark_slayer

Ah yes I see what you mean, I was not actually referring to the part where you turn debug on in Kodi..more just the upload method used which provides a link. Works well and honestly it does make reading the logs easier on the eyes :)

Well, firing from the hip here, but in my experience the xbmclogs site is just a custom pastebin with the same file size limits

It's been about a month since I tried, but the add-on was logging way too much IMO (even when set to 0). The easy log uploader would likely just kick it back for file size, because I have yet to log an issue that resulted in a small enough of a log to use pastebin

All that could have changed since my last issue

Edited by dark_slayer

xnappo

Just pushed a new version to the beta repo with improved Fast Movies 1 & 2.   Please test.  Go into Video Addons and try All Movies vs. Fast Movies vs. Fast Movies 2.  Not all data is populated yet.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

marcelveldt

Just pushed a new version to the beta repo with improved Fast Movies 1 & 2.   Please test.  Go into Video Addons and try All Movies vs. Fast Movies vs. Fast Movies 2.  Not all data is populated yet.

xnappo

Amazing, no wait time at all ! :)  :) :)  

A few properties still missing but that's no big deal. If you want to maintain this I can add them for you if you want.

I'm curious if we have any users with very huge libraries that are willing to test this ?

Or very slow devices...

xnappo

Thanks - but no need yet to add anything.  Right now the big question is whether to try to maintain both as is, or put more effort into 'Fast Movies 2' which right now I think is going to be much faster, but would be a lot harder to expand.  Have to wait for the dev server with the data size reduction to know for sure how fast 'Fast Movies 1' can get.

I think 'Fast Movies 2' will be very fast even with a large collection - but again I am worried about the practicality...

Please *do* take a look at my last two commits to see how it is working.

Thanks!

xnappo

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

b0dyr0ck2006

Hey guys, amazing work you are you doing here but I'm running into issues. I've read and read and read, seems a lot of information on here is splattered about all over the place and not consolidated properly so hard to find all the right information.

So I decided to build my dad a raspberry pi htpc for Christmas. I've installed openelec, and xbmc3 fine. The system runs perfectly. I've overclocked the pi a bit. My pc is acting at the house server, running windows 7 with 9 TB of space hosting all the media. As soon as I link the pi to my media browser server on my pc the whole unit sloooooows riiiiiiiight dooooooown to the point of unusability. It is running aeon nox. I'm must he overlooking something as it seems many here have the system running ok. Adding and playing media from a USB stick work fine and the menus still browse smoothly, it's just when I add the server address the pi falls over. I'm aware that there would be some lag in opening menus due to Linux/windows but it's more than lag. It's a complete stall.

Please help, I could spend plenty more money and build up one of my many PCs as a htpc but liked the idea of a tiny htpc.

Edited by b0dyr0ck2006

dark_slayer

Nobody has this working splendidly on an RPi just yet. They only really work comfortably under a ton of optimizations, a native SQL library being one of them

Better options are currently a roku. I think the fire and nexus TV devices will be good media browser options some day as well, but not currently available and no expectation that they'll be ready by Christmas. A firetv running xbmc and xbmb3c might be sufficient in the short term until a better option is available from redshirt. Getting xbmc to run smoothly on the fire is a little hackity right now, even just getting to appear on the home screen takes a workaround

xnappo

@@b0dyr0ck2006 - in the options go to the services tab and turn them all off.  In Metadata turn off 'People' and 'Overview'.

That is the best we can do for now.  We are working on it, but the Pi is very very slow at running Python code, I would recommend something else really - Kindle Fire or even better a NUC.

xnappo

b0dyr0ck2006

They can browse and play all content on their sony bravia fine thanks to media browser server but I wanted to give them a better UI as currently it's very bland, plus it doesn't support watched status etc.

I'm happy to hack, crack and build an sql server to run concurrent with mb3 (I have other systems running mb client) if that is the route I need to take.

Thank you for your feedback, I'm looking at all options.

b0dyr0ck2006

@@xnappo I'll try that later and see if it improves much. Is there a reason why it's been coded in Python? Could media browser not be natively coded in Linux as a standalone? (I've only ever touched the surface of Linux) the size of this community surely someone could fork openelec so mb is native? I appreciate this is still very early days for the pi

Edited by b0dyr0ck2006

xnappo

XBMC addons are Python.  Writing a Linux port of MBT is what you are referring to, and that is a much, much bigger project.

b0dyr0ck2006

information overload!! haha

I love jumping in the deepend with both feet but the sudden uphill learning curve gives me brain freeze sometimes.

im85288

There's a new version 0.9.726 which contains internal restructuring in regards the connection of the server. You should not notice any difference between this and the previous version...but please report if you do find any issues.

b0dyr0ck2006

OK so disabling those options has speeded up the RPi ten-fold, thank you @@xnappo.

I am running the latest beta build of Kodi (14.0-BETA5) + Mediacentre + XBMB3C + 1080XF MB3.

The menu's flow perfectly and the general usage is smooth as a pc. Seek times into my movie database are a little slow but that is to be expected. Is there anyway to pre-cache and hold all the images and artwork/metadata on the sd card? I have an 8GB and seems pointless not utilising the space. Currently all it is doing is storing the os. My logic is that if all the required data, barring the actual media files are stored here then the whole browse and display would be faster??

I'm running off an wifi adapter at the moment so that isnt going to help speeds much so I need to get this tested on wired. I have a few issues with the skin itself but I will post them on the Kodi site.

xnappo

For images, no way to pre-cache - unfortunately that is just how XBMC works and we don't have any control over it.  However - once you browse around it will cache to the SD card for next time.

I am working on pre-caching data so the seek times are faster - see the 'speed up' thread and try 'Fast Movies' and 'Fast Movies 2' in the beta repo version.

xnappo

Edited by xnappo

b0dyr0ck2006

Ahhh OK, I wasnt aware that it keeps the images once browsed.

I shall have a look at those and test. Thanks

dark_slayer

For images, no way to pre-cache - unfortunately that is just how XBMC works and we don't have any control over it.  However - once you browse around it will cache to the SD card for next time.

Here is some info on how Kodi caches images

http://kodi.wiki/view/Thumbnails/Cache

Is there some way for a background helper to move this to a location that isn't flushed on reboot, then load from / check / update that location?

b0dyr0ck2006

It does seem to flush when you back out to the main menu and back into the movie listing. Looks as though it has to reload the images every time you browse the files

dark_slayer

It isn't flushed on reboot.

Hm, it certainly appears to take just as long after a reboot for your images to load (into what I would consider "cached" performance) as it does the first time you ever use the addon and begin building your cache

On the flipside, do you happen to get equivalent performance browsing "All Movies" after a reboot as you did prior to the reboot? I do not, but if it's something only I'm experiencing I'd be happy to log it here

dark_slayer

That is an XBMC thing.  If you are seeing that with Helix, report it over there.

xnappo

So your library-browsing performance is the same after a reboot as it was right before the reboot?

xnappo

Yes, I am on Gotham still, but certainly it doesn't pull images over the network again.  

Are you sure it is pulling it over the network?  It could just be time taken to read from the cache.

Edited by xnappo

dark_slayer

I have reported this before, there is a reload in/out of menu, I have 1000+ movies the waiting time is annoying. One order issue that I have noticed is when it get to the end of loading, then it restart the process again meaning running same a process twice. I thought it was an issue with Titan, but I experience same issue with default XBMC confluence, so it must be an issue with MB3 repo I have posted a few logs which I hope this error would have been noticed but it persists.

Let me know if I should send a debug log

Kind of in the same boat with 1700+ but I'm wondering if you've used the beta addon

This was the behavior for my setup prior to null_pointers new image caching system IIRC

Not anymore, just slow performance on reboot. I'll need to check closer to see if the slowness is from my USB read speed

e123enitan

Hm, it certainly appears to take just as long after a reboot for your images to load (into what I would consider "cached" performance) as it does the first time you ever use the addon and begin building your cache

On the flipside, do you happen to get equivalent performance browsing "All Movies" after a reboot as you did prior to the reboot? I do not, but if it's something only I'm experiencing I'd be happy to log it here

I have reported this before, there is a reload in/out of menu, I have 1000+  movies the waiting time is annoying. One order issue that I have noticed is when it get to the end of loading, then it restart the process again meaning running same a process twice. I thought it was an issue with Titan, but I experience same issue with default XBMC confluence, so it must be an issue with MB3 repo I have posted a few logs which I hope this error would have been noticed but it persists.

Let me know if I should send a debug log

Edited by e123enitan