Hisense, TCL & Sony models - Playback issues on Emby for Android TV

lastditch

PrinzValium

Sry for the late answer. I sideloaded it and the issue is still there. So I went back to 1.8.55. it's the only version which works on my TV. 

What can I do to help to solve it?

10 hours ago, PrinzValium said:

Sry for the late answer. I sideloaded it and the issue is still there. So I went back to 1.8.55. it's the only version which works on my TV. 

What can I do to help to solve it?

What version number did you sideload?

PrinzValium
18 hours ago, Luke said:

What version number did you sideload?

The newest from yesterday. I didnt check the version number. 

It was the latest which was or is linked yesterday at your link.

seanbuff
1 hour ago, PrinzValium said:

It was 2.0.83g.

That's the "release" version of the Android TV app, not the app that Luke linked to, which is different.

Sideload the APK from this link only: https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

For reference it should be something like: Emby for Android 3.3.04

TheClaus
7 hours ago, seanbuff said:

That's the "release" version of the Android TV app, not the app that Luke linked to, which is different.

Sideload the APK from this link only: https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

For reference it should be something like: Emby for Android 3.3.04

Using Emby for Android 3.3.05 I am still seeing the stuttering issue.

viking19

Emby for Android 3.3.05 still stutters. The TV got a firmware update last week and I hoped that would help but it didn't.

rbjtech

So a question to @ebr @Luke- what does 'downmix to stereo' actually do within the app.   It obviously converts a multi-channel source to 2 channel (doh..) but I presume it is doing this from within the App itself (ie client  side) - is is not doing this 'server side' as there is no transcoding log.  What else does this function do - is it converting it to AAC 2.0 or MP3 ?    Is it using an ffmpeg extension within Exo to do so ?  Why would this conversion within the App seem to cure the video stuttering - the same amount of data is being 'received' by the device - infact the device is having to do MORE work to convert it to Stereo.  Is there a forked version that could be tested to KEEP the multi-channel, but pass it through the same pipeline as the Stereo option uses (ie convert the format or whatever it does, but keep the channels?)

The constant 'new app versions' don't appear to be making progress in this area, so unless they are targeting this issue specifically, I don't think 'try the latest version' is really helping here...

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

what does 'downmix to stereo' actually do within the app

It forces the track through the ffmpeg renderer and limits the output to two channels.

Why would this conversion within the App seem to cure the video stuttering

Because this issue appears to be isolated to the on-board decoders on the TV devices and this bypasses them.

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
46 minutes ago, ebr said:

It forces the track through the ffmpeg renderer and limits the output to two channels.

Because this issue appears to be isolated to the on-board decoders on the TV devices and this bypasses them.

ok - so would it be an option to simply pass all of the channels via ffmpeg and call it 'Audio Correction' or something like that ?  

What is the benefit of just converting to Stereo - I guess it's the lowest denominator in Audio playback but I've never heard of any device refusing to play AC3 5.1 - using it's own audio hardware to downmix onto 2 speakers if that's all it has ?

Edited by rbjtech

TheClaus
21 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I guess it's the lowest denominator in Audio playback but I've never heard of any device refusing to play AC3 5.1 - using it's own audio hardware to downmix onto 2 speakers if that's all it has ?

It isn't AC3 5.1 that I have the problem with it is EAC3 5.1 or DTS that I have seen the issue with.

• Like 1

rbjtech
12 minutes ago, TheClaus said:

It isn't AC3 5.1 that I have the problem with it is EAC3 5.1 or DTS that I have seen the issue with.

This is my point - if the internal ffmpeg in the App/Client converts EAC3/DTS on the fly to AC3 5.1 then you could leave on 'Audio Correction' and everything work ok ?

Edited by rbjtech

Yes we'd like to move the audio conversion from the server to the app but just haven't gotten there yet.

This is my point - if the internal ffmpeg in the App/Client converts EAC3/DTS on the fly to AC3 5.1 then you could leave on 'Audio Correction' and everything work ok ?

That's a lot trickier than it sounds because it is a conversion to another format that then has to be decoded rather than just decoding one format.  Why stereo?  Mostly because this option was designed for TV speakers not to bypass the internal decoders.  Also, a lot of outboard equipment wouldn't be able to accept the decoded multi-channel PCM stream anyway.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
pr3dict

Just picked up a Hisense A65 from costco for $150. I have the same issue as reported in this thread. Completely unplayable on the Android for TV app as well as the regular Android app when I sideload it. I'm on the most recent version of both. I have not tried the downmix to stereo fix as others have reported but I imagine it will work. 

parklane79

I am also running into the issue with a Hisense A65H. Downmixing to stereo isn't really an option for me since I have a 5.1 system I would like to take advantage of. So far I have been using the external player option to get around this issue.

• 1 month later...

Hi.  Can you guys test this with the latest beta of the TV app?  Thanks.

TheClaus
37 minutes ago, ebr said:

Still same audio issues.  Stutters on Auto, Convert Unsupported Audio to Dolby Digital.  Switching it to Downgrade to Stereo works just like before.

viking19

No change with the new beta.

Based on this tread Emby problem with TCL TV where users specifically mention DD with bit-rates >=640 not working, I converted a 640bps track to 448bps and muxed both into the video. The DD 448bps track played perfectly the 640bps did not, I also tried a different video with DD+ 768bps which of course stuttered.

So it seems Emby will pass-through DVD era DD but not anything better.

TheClaus
1 hour ago, viking19 said:

Based on this tread Emby problem with TCL TV where users specifically mention DD with bit-rates >=640 not working, I converted a 640bps track to 448bps and muxed both into the video. The DD 448bps track played perfectly the 640bps did not, I also tried a different video with DD+ 768bps which of course stuttered.

My TV is Hisense but I agree on your observations.  Audio lower that 640 work but anything better it stutters.

viking19
6 hours ago, TheClaus said:

My TV is Hisense but I agree on your observations.  Audio lower that 640 work but anything better it stutters.

Mine is also a Hisense, just curious that two TV brands with GoogleTV have the same issue.

7 hours ago, viking19 said:

Based on this tread Emby problem with TCL TV

Of course I meant thread, not tread. Time for an eye appointment.

rbjtech
15 hours ago, viking19 said:

13 hours ago, TheClaus said:

Emby is just passing the raw stream to the TV - if it cannot decode it properly, then that is not the fault of emby.

https://developer.dolby.com/technology/dolby-audio/dolby-digital/

This is the reason downgrade to stereo works - as I'm assuming it converts to 192Kbps...

vaise
2 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Emby is just passing the raw stream to the TV - if it cannot decode it properly, then that is not the fault of emby.

This is the reason downgrade to stereo works - as I'm assuming it converts to 192Kbps...

Im not so sure.

I had issues with the GCwGTV when it first came out that were fixed by emby updates - it was not knowing the device capabilities or something.

I have now installed jellyfin alongside emby as others in other threads have done.  It does not have the same problem with jellyfin's 'direct' method they have for playback.  I can make emby fail on specific things (posted in detail in another TCL thread I started).  Jellyfin does not fail in the same tests for this TV and needs no settings changed.  I am following 4 different threads of issues relating to this I believe.  What are jellyfin doing different? 

I have now started using jellyfin for this TV and will re-test emby with each beta - as the wife cant be messing with the different convert options - auto/5.1/stereo - depending on what show or in fact Tv stattion she is watching.  All our channel 10 transmits in DD5.1, Is its set to auto, freezes, if set to stereo, the sound has to be raised to 80, if set to 5.1, then plays.  Other stuff freeze if not set to stereo.  This does not pass the wife test at all - so jellyfin and she is fine and changes no settings (so far at least, but they only seem to have one).  

Edited by vaise
  • Like 1

viking19
7 hours ago, rbjtech said:

5 hours ago, vaise said:

Im not so sure.

I had issues with the GCwGTV when it first came out that were fixed by emby updates - it was not knowing the device capabilities or something.

I have now installed jellyfin alongside emby as others in other threads have done.  It does not have the same problem with jellyfin's 'direct' method they have for playback.  I can make emby fail on specific things (posted in detail in another TCL thread I started).  Jellyfin does not fail in the same tests for this TV and needs no settings changed.  I am following 4 different threads of issues relating to this I believe.  What are jellyfin doing different?

I've also been following several Hisense and TCL threads about this issue, the consensus by users is that Plex (which I've been using) and Jellyfin are working correctly. Old versions of E4ATV have also been shown to work, so I agree that this not just the TV's fault.

victor@vialy.com
On 7/7/2023 at 9:22 AM, ebr said:

I have the same problem. One idea I got was to convert the videos to get an audio bitrate compatible with my emby tv app on my Hisense U8H. But cant find the correct setings to do it on emby conversion.

What would I have to enter on "Conversion" in order to have the audio converted to under 640k bitrate, leaving the video untouched, even if they are 4kHDR movies? I have tried converting but it converts the video to 1080 even when entering 20mbit rate conversion. 

I think it will be faster than waiting for a fix.