Hisense, TCL & Sony models - Playback issues on Emby for Android TV

lastditch

smgsmagus

I tried sideloaded app on Shield , but how can I register it? I have registered one for Android TV version, sideloaded standard android one from github, but cannot get it working as it's not registered (I do not have Emby premiere, only app registration on Google Play).

viking19
6 hours ago, smgsmagus said:

I tried sideloaded app on Shield , but how can I register it? I have registered one for Android TV version, sideloaded standard android one from github, but cannot get it working as it's not registered (I do not have Emby premiere, only app registration on Google Play).

You don't have to register it just to try. When you click the play button and the big scary screen comes up that demands you buy premiere for a single app just arrow down to the bottom where it says play for one minute. The new version of the mobile app on AndroidTV seems to scare you into buying a subscription even though neither of the Android apps work properly on AndroidTV. For me mobile v3.2.92 works just as poorly as any version of Emby for ATV, which I wasted my money on. I'm very frustrated.

On 1/22/2023 at 10:55 AM, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Disregard for now actually, I'm realizing it may coincidentally have been separate issues with the 2 specific videos I happened to be testing. Further test videos are playing fine. Sorry about that. Thanks. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have exactly the same issue on my TCL TV with AndroitTv app.

I used some others devices :

PC : No issues
TV (LG) : No issues
TV (FireStick TV) : No issues
Samsung S21 : No issues

TCL TV with Andoid TV application (vers 2.0.83Gà=) Premium account

As soon as I have a media on direct play i have some sound issues.
I used "correct ...." 3 times or 4 times and it's working well on the AndroidTV App. 

On the server i saw that the media is "transcoded"

I don't now for the moment how install Android version on my TCL TV and I saw that it"s the answer given some times.

I see nothing on server log.

1 hour ago, Onyxa said:

I have exactly the same issue on my TCL TV with AndroitTv app.

I used some others devices :

PC : No issues
TV (LG) : No issues
TV (FireStick TV) : No issues
Samsung S21 : No issues

TCL TV with Andoid TV application (vers 2.0.83Gà=) Premium account

As soon as I have a media on direct play i have some sound issues.
I used "correct ...." 3 times or 4 times and it's working well on the AndroidTV App. 

On the server i saw that the media is "transcoded"

I don't now for the moment how install Android version on my TCL TV and I saw that it"s the answer given some times.

I see nothing on server log.

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

I saw this answer but for the moment i don't know how can i install apk directly on my TCL android TV.

I double check how can i do that and i update post

Ok I install version Android and now the sound seems to be good.

No sound issues with direct play like i add on since the beginning.

But now I have stop during the play.

The problem happens with 4K film

Vidéo
4K HEVC HDR10
Lecture directe (24 mbps)
Audio
French AC3 5.1 (Default)
Lecture directe (384 kbps)
If I reduce quality, transcode is activated and no problems with sound or with image

Emby for Android 3.2.82
Téléviseur du salon
192.168.1.6 http/1.1
Flux
MKV (24 mbps)
HLS (15 mbps 51 fps)
Réduction du bitrate en raison des paramètres qualité
Vidéo
4K HEVC HDR10
Transcoder (H264 15 mbps)
Mappage des tons (format=nv12:matrix=bt709:primaries=bt709:transfer=bt709)
Audio
French AC3 5.1 (Default)
Lecture directe (384 kbps)

Edited by Onyxa

• 3 weeks later...
viking19

With no new updates to either the server or AndroidTV app I assume the issues still exist, I switched to Plex(ugh!) a couple of weeks ago and have NO ISSUES on the Hisense U65H (Google TV built in). I have continued to use Plex(bah!) exclusively on the U65H, I don't know what Emby is doing differently but it sure isn't working.

TheClaus
13 hours ago, Luke said:

Are you still having an issue with this?

I am with @viking19 that with no new updates to either the server or AndroidTV app the issue still exists.  I just tested it out on both my Google Chromecast 4K with Google TV and my Hisense TV(Google TV built in) and have the same results.  I am doing the same on as @viking19 and wish I didn't have to.

Is there anything I can provide that would help with this.  I can take videos of it happening I can provide logs or files(which I have previously).

Would love to have this fixed so I can start using Emby again on all my devices.

• Agree 1

viking19

I hate to be "that guy" but four days later and no response from the devs, after they specifically asked if the issues still exist, especially after @TheClaus provided all kinds of previous test info.

PS The Hisense TV is actually a 65U68H (Canadian U6H) I have got to stop posting during HNIC.😆

• 3 weeks later...
TheClaus
On 2/24/2023 at 9:01 PM, Luke said:

Are you still having an issue with this?

I am still having issues with this.  Is there anything I can do or provide to help fix this issue?

PrinzValium
On 3/21/2023 at 3:24 PM, TheClaus said:

I am still having issues with this.  Is there anything I can do or provide to help fix this issue?

Maybe you can Test Version 1.8.55g which is really old but for me its working.

I also have These issues in my Android TV with the current releases. (For TV APK AND normal Android APK)

TheClaus
On 3/23/2023 at 4:59 PM, PrinzValium said:

Maybe you can Test Version 1.8.55g which is really old but for me its working.

I also have These issues in my Android TV with the current releases. (For TV APK AND normal Android APK)

I can confirm that 2.0.55g on the Android TV app works.  The commit date is Nov 27, 2021.  Every version above that does not work and will cause stuttering.

rbjtech
52 minutes ago, TheClaus said:

I can confirm that 2.0.55g on the Android TV app works.  The commit date is Nov 27, 2021.  Every version above that does not work and will cause stuttering.

.. on your setup.

I have Zero issues using the latest AndroidTV app on the Shield 2.0.87g - and not had any issues with any version up to the latest tbh.

I guess if the latest version that works on your setup is 2.0.55g - what has changed compared to 2.0.57g ?  @ebr

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42240-emby-android-tv-release-notes-beta/

2.0.57 (1 Dec)

• Fix crash on devices not supporting Oreo channels
  • Add option to not allow untrusted SSL connection by player (not needed by most)
2.0.55 (22 Nov)
  • Increase network timeout to 25 seconds
  • Improve display size determination on some devices
  • Fix sorting in channel tags
  • Fix convert to DD not working

TheClaus
6 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

.. on your setup.

I have Zero issues using the latest AndroidTV app on the Shield 2.0.87g - and not had any issues with any version up to the latest tbh.

I guess if the latest version that works on your setup is 2.0.55g - what has changed compared to 2.0.57g ?  @ebr

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42240-emby-android-tv-release-notes-beta/

@rbjtechI don't have issues with my shield.  I think that it is specific to Android TV connected directly to the TV or Android TV built in and using the TV speakers.  I can use my shield and not have any issues because it is running through the audio receiver.

• Thanks 1

rbjtech
7 minutes ago, TheClaus said:

@rbjtechI don't have issues with my shield.  I think that it is specific to Android TV connected directly to the TV or Android TV built in and using the TV speakers.  I can use my shield and not have any issues because it is running through the audio receiver.

Right ok - so the statement just applies to the 'built in' Android TV - gotcha.

It would be interesting what changed between those version though - nothing on the Release Notes gives a clue - but maybe Eric updated a library or something that is not in the release notes .. fingers crossed.. it can be identified.

pwhodges
33 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I guess if the latest version that works on your setup is 2.0.55g - what has changed compared to 2.0.57g ?

He's running 1.8.55g, not 2.0.55g...

Paul

1 minute ago, pwhodges said:

He's running 1.8.55g, not 2.0.55g...

Paul

There have been conflicting version number reports.  Not sure if the second one was a typo.

Since the issue manifests in both apps, it is most likely related to Exo changes since those long ago versions.  I believe it is isolated to using the internal decoders to mix down to stereo on a TV device.

TheClaus
11 minutes ago, ebr said:

There have been conflicting version number reports.  Not sure if the second one was a typo.

Since the issue manifests in both apps, it is most likely related to Exo changes since those long ago versions.  I believe it is isolated to using the internal decoders to mix down to stereo on a TV device.

I added a picture of the version that is working.  

photo_2023-03-27_10-23-41.jpg

53 minutes ago, TheClaus said:

I added a picture of the version that is working.  

And how did you land on that particular version?  My guess is that you'll have the same behavior up through at least 2.0.71 as that is the last version before Exo was upgraded.

Also, have you tried the latest beta as it has a subsequent Exo update?

TheClaus
9 minutes ago, ebr said:

And how did you land on that particular version?  My guess is that you'll have the same behavior up through at least 2.0.71 as that is the last version before Exo was upgraded.

Also, have you tried the latest beta as it has a subsequent Exo update?

I went here and started testing prior releases by going to the AndroidTV folder and viewing history and grabbing releases.

I have not tested a beta in quite awhile.  If you have a link for it I will grab it and test.

rbjtech
8 minutes ago, TheClaus said:

I went here and started testing prior releases by going to the AndroidTV folder and viewing history and grabbing releases.

I have not tested a beta in quite awhile.  If you have a link for it I will grab it and test.

link provided here - you'll need to side load on the Shield

Edited by rbjtech

TheClaus
15 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

link provided here - you'll need to side load on the Shield

Tested out the beta on this page and I get the stuttering during playback.  

photo_2023-03-27_11-58-22.jpg