Hisense, TCL & Sony models - Playback issues on Emby for Android TV

lastditch

vaise

I was not sure if tv updated, so I uninstalled and reinstalled.

Same issues with all my test media on auto and 5.1.  I think that channel 10 and it’s 5.1 audio transmissions are working on auto now- so that’s a bit better.

• Thanks 1

victor@vialy.com

Well, seems like we are alone with this problem.

But anyway, here are my latest finds:

I pluged my TV to my DTS decoder via eARC, selected "Passthrough" on tv. So in theory the TV would not need to process the audio data. 
Result? Still stuttering video/audio on movies with audio above 640k bitrate

Then I installed VLC and selected External Payer. It works flawlessly with no stuttering on any movie. So, I can confirm that this is a problem with the EMBY player (Both sideloaded and android tv)

Sadly, when using VLC, it only handles subtitles when they are embedded. And it does not handle "FF" or "RW". Also, it does not handle "Resume playing" 

Hope someone comes with a solution on this nagging problem. I dont want to buy a Roku to plugin to my android TV just because of Emby.

• 2 weeks later...
Johonn

Just chiming in that i also an seeing this issue with a Hisense TV with the Android for TV app or the sideload app.  

I see this with Audio that is EAC3 when above 448 kbps.  DTS, Truehd and others do not expreience this issue along with EAC <=448kbps.

As the kids watch movies over and over one of the older movies they finally rewatched had this issue but i can confirm i have many others like this that they do not have access to.  

• Agree 2

kaledev

Hey, came on to ask about this same problem today on my Hisense TV. However, this only started popping up for me within the past few weeks. Earlier than that everything was playing fine. Today when I logged on, everything with 5.1 audio was stuttering the video and the audio. I tried side loading the app but it was the same problem. When I told the app to downmix to 2.0 everything worked again magically. Not sure why it would be a problem all of a sudden, doesn't happen on my other devices. My Fire TV seems unaffected.

vaise

This TV has turned into a jellyfin zone for me.  I much prefer emby tho.  Can’t wait for this to be fixed.  Plus the searching pulls back results from all libraries that included secured ones on last beta servers, that’s a big pain with accidental cpu transcoding of media that end users should not have access too.  

11 hours ago, kaledev said:

However, this only started popping up for me within the past few weeks

This seems to be the case for most.  The issue just starts at some point which makes me think it has to be related to firmware on the devices.  Can you see when your TV last did a firmware update?

kaledev
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

This seems to be the case for most.  The issue just starts at some point which makes me think it has to be related to firmware on the devices.  Can you see when your TV last did a firmware update?

I believe that makes sense. My TV did update in the past few weeks as well. I wonder what the firmware changed to cause the problem? Other apps don't seem to be affected.

viking19
4 minutes ago, ebr said:

Nope, I purchased the TV in November and the issue has always been there. The TV only updated once about a month ago with no change to Emby's behaviour.

Just now, viking19 said:

I purchased the TV in November and the issue has always been there

Right, since you've always had the issue then your firmware may have already been at whatever level has the issue.  The situation where someone doesn't have the issue and then all of a sudden does - with no update to Emby and an update to the TV firmware, would pretty much definitely point to it being related to firmware level.

That doesn't mean it can't be worked around in some way - but we have to discover exactly what it is first.

3 hours ago, viking19 said:

current build # is RTT2.220118.001

3 hours ago, kaledev said:

build RTT2.221108.001

Is one of those a transposition or are they really different?

kaledev
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Is one of those a transposition or are they really different?

Mine is correct: RTT2.221108.001. So I guess we're on different builds. Mine was updated June 2nd.

Johonn

I am also on RTT2.220118.001.

It is hard for me to tell when this happened.  I don't have alot of stuff in the format so it would be very hit or miss on someone picking that video on that audio codec.  It also does not help that i migrated from a old system to a new system with a completely new install of Emby rather then a migration.  

vaise

Sorry In advance if this is a stupid idea, as I am not a developer and have no idea what’s going on, but as jellyfin works fine with all this media that fails in emby - with their default sound option ‘direct’, (they don’t have anti, 5.1, stereo options) and as they are open source, could you not see what they are doing there?

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've also got this issue on TCL 65 QM8

Android 11 AR2101

On testing:

- If I set a bit rate for example 30mbps I can have the audio set to auto, all is good for TRUEHD, but I've found AAC (Direct),DTS-HD, DOLBY, DOLBY+ will cause the video to not play/stutter.
- If I set a bit rate for example 30mbps I can have the autio set to stereo down mix, TRUEHD, DTS-HD, DOLBY, DOLBY+, ACC.
- If I leave bit rate at auto, generally I'm not getting above a 3mbps bitrate, but this could be due to me using a 5g connection

Hi, if you're running the beta server, please see if 4.8.0.42 helps compared to previous builds. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
victor@vialy.com
On 8/17/2023 at 6:17 PM, Luke said:

Hi, if you're running the beta server, please see if 4.8.0.42 helps compared to previous builds. Thanks.

Don't know what you did. But it got fixed for me!

Using 4.7.14 server

TheClaus
20 hours ago, victor@vialy.com said:

Don't know what you did. But it got fixed for me!

Using 4.7.14 server

Just an FYI I have tried out both the Emby for AndroidTV and Emby for Android and the problem still exists