Hisense, TCL & Sony models - Playback issues on Emby for Android TV

lastditch

viking19

I'm very disappointed with Emby for Android TV. I really thought it would be better than the WebOS app on an old LG TV, but that app played the same movie files with no issues. This has been a problem for months, I'm not hopeful this will be resolved.

1 hour ago, viking19 said:

I'm very disappointed with Emby for Android TV. I really thought it would be better than the WebOS app on an old LG TV, but that app played the same movie files with no issues. This has been a problem for months, I'm not hopeful this will be resolved.

@viking19 

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

viking19
51 minutes ago, Luke said:

@viking19 

Hi.  Can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

Already tried that, stuttering remains, I also updated to v2.0.85g with no improvement. Same as the users in these threads, audio issues when playing certain formats and two recent issues on android tv.

TheClaus

@Luke

viking19 is correct about trying it and that it still remains.  You asked me to try that in my post and when I replied I that it still happens there wasn't a reply back.  Are we not giving you enough to figure out what is wrong?  I will provide anything you need to fix this issue.  I will even buy a Google Chromecast 4K with Google TV and mail it to anywhere in the world if that is what it takes to get this fixed.

Tell me what I can do to help and I will do my best to help.

lastditch

Yeah I agree kinda frustrating. Im about to buy a lifetime license because I need hardware transcoding, and thats pretty much all I need out of premium. But its making me rethink it and just migrate to Jellyfin. If the support is gonna be the same, why not?

rbjtech

Could you provide a copy (or sample) of the file that has the issue ?  via PM

I have been using AndroidTV on Shield and FireTV sticks for YEARS without any issues - 1000's of files played - so unless the Dev's can recreate the issue - they will struggle to solve it.

Edited by rbjtech

TheClaus
6 hours ago, rbjtech said:

I have been using AndroidTV on Shield and FireTV sticks for YEARS without any issues - 1000's of files played - so unless the Dev's can recreate the issue - they will struggle to solve it.

I have AndroidTV on Shield running in the living room through my AV receiver and it has no problems.  My FireTVs(actual TVs) also work just fine.  I can tell you with the Fire TVs they are on 2.0.79a instead of 2.0.83g.  I see you have an AVR also so that has me believing it is something with it running the AndroidTV client directly through the TV or through the Chromecast to the TV's HDMI that is the issue.  Like the processing of audio is messed up.  As stated, before I haven't made any changes to my TV audio settings and things were working before.

I am willing to be the guinea pig but need the developers to put in the effort to want to fix this.  You can see from my other post that I put in the effort and encoded a retail bluray and gave my results.  Their reply was trying the standard Android app.  I did and then I didn't get any reply back.  Is there something more I should do.  I will work on getting a sample of a chapter from the retail bluray and do the work that I did before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

viking19
8 hours ago, rbjtech said:

It is not A FILE that stutters it's most files so uploading a sample might not help, but I'll try to get some time.

2 hours ago, TheClaus said:

I have AndroidTV on Shield running in the living room through my AV receiver and it has no problems.  My FireTVs(actual TVs) also work just fine.  I can tell you with the Fire TVs they are on 2.0.79a instead of 2.0.83g.  I see you have an AVR also so that has me believing it is something with it running the AndroidTV client directly through the TV or through the Chromecast to the TV's HDMI that is the issue.  Like the processing of audio is messed up.  As stated, before I haven't made any changes to my TV audio settings and things were working before.

I am willing to be the guinea pig but need the developers to put in the effort to want to fix this.  You can see from my other post that I put in the effort and encoded a retail bluray and gave my results.  Their reply was trying the standard Android app.  I did and then I didn't get any reply back.  Is there something more I should do.  I will work on getting a sample of a chapter from the retail bluray and do the work that I did before.

Yep, AndroidTV app built into the TV is the problem for me. Oddly, TheClaus had a movie with multiple audio tracks playing the DD track working but for me DD would still stutter, although in my case the first track was TrueHD.

I also don't think this is brand specific, as I've read posts from owners with TCL, Sony and Hisense TVs all with Android TV and playback issues.

Edited by viking19
add more info
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

TheClaus

I couldn't find a guide or howto on getting a sample so I went searching for DTS-HD samples.  I found this website and grabbed the Animated Logo (Lossless) Trailer.  I then placed it into Emby and when I played it on my AndroidTV app built into the TV I got the same results that have been posted not only in this post but others.

I have also attached the trailer to this post for anyone else to use to try and fix this issue.

Please @ebr or @Luke let me know that all this work is helping out.  I love Emby and want to continue using it but with the AndroidTV app in its current state and no idea if anything I am providing works I am losing hope in Emby.

dts_animated_logo_lossless_1080p-thedigitaltheater.mkv

rbjtech
2 minutes ago, TheClaus said:

I couldn't find a guide or howto on getting a sample so I went searching for DTS-HD samples.  I found this website and grabbed the Animated Logo (Lossless) Trailer.  I then placed it into Emby and when I played it on my AndroidTV app built into the TV I got the same results that have been posted not only in this post but others.

I have also attached the trailer to this post for anyone else to use to try and fix this issue.

Please @ebr or @Luke let me know that all this work is helping out.  I love Emby and want to continue using it but with the AndroidTV app in its current state and no idea if anything I am providing works I am losing hope in Emby.

dts_animated_logo_lossless_1080p-thedigitaltheater.mkv 37.68 MB · 0 downloads

I'll test this - I'm pretty sure I've tested it before and had no issues .. brb

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

I'll test this - I'm pretty sure I've tested it before and had no issues .. brb

Ah - I see you have no issues with an AVR either (this was going to be my test) - I'll check my FireTV's which are direct.

TheClaus
Just now, rbjtech said:

Ah - I see you have no issues with an AVR either (this was going to be my test) - I'll check my FireTV's which are direct.

FireTV that I tested was running an version of 2.0.79a.  I haven't seen an issue on that.  If you can put what version you are running in the reply I would appreciate it.

TheClaus
2 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

So tested on my FireTV > Generic Monitor with speakers.

ffmpeg-remux-1f287736-2e5e-40ed-8dab-35c6b9262d13_1.txt 10.45 kB · 1 download

App: AndroidTv 2.0.86a

Tried Auto, DD and Downmix to Stereo (ffmpeg log for that attached) - all played perfectly fine...

Is that a side-loaded version?  I am looking at Amazon's Store and the latest app version is 2.0.79a.

rbjtech
25 minutes ago, TheClaus said:

Is that a side-loaded version?  I am looking at Amazon's Store and the latest app version is 2.0.79a.

Yes - latest Beta I believe.

But let me try another FireTV that has 2079a.. 2 secs

rbjtech
5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Yes - latest Beta I believe.

But let me try another FireTV that has 2079a.. 2 secs

No issues on that either 2079a, FireTV stick 4K directly via HDMI to a Panasonic Plasma TV (Stereo Speakers).

viking19

I just tried a few samples from that site on AndroidTV 2.0.85g

Animated Logo (Lossless) DTS-HD MA 5.1 : stuttering

Dolby 3D Glasses Return Trailer Flat (2D) DTS-HD MA 5.1 stuttering ; PCM 5.1 plays smooth ; AC3 5.1 stuttering

Dolby Cinema - Element AC3 5.1 stuttering

Living World of Audio 1 DTS 5.1 audio plays fine but video has some juddering? probably from being 25fps

This is on Hisense TV with built in app.

Edited by viking19
more info

TheClaus
5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

No issues on that either 2079a, FireTV stick 4K directly via HDMI to a Panasonic Plasma TV (Stereo Speakers).

Yeah I think it is an issue with Android built TV or the Chromecast connected directly to a TV and not through a receiver.

rbjtech

ok - unfortunately I don't have any devices with built in Android and the only Chromecast I have is on the Shield Pro - which uses an AVR.

TheClaus
24 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

ok - unfortunately I don't have any devices with built in Android and the only Chromecast I have is on the Shield Pro - which uses an AVR.

No worries.  Hopefully I have narrowed it down enough for the developers to get it fixed.

andyxoxo
On 1/5/2023 at 4:43 PM, andyxoxo said:

Been having audio dropout problems with Emby for at least six months on my Sony X85J Android TV which is why I quit using it and just use Plex instead (and experience no dropouts whatsoever). And this is trying out both the Emby Android & the AndroidTV apps on my TV.  Am here just checking in on the forum to see if they are ever going to fix the problem or even know about it (which I guess they do but seem to not have fixed yet)

So a few days ago I updated the Server to 4.7.11 and on my Sony X85J TV I updated the app to 3.2.90 (using the phone app, not the Android TV app) and have yet to experience any audio dropouts with that combination. So for gee whiz sake I fired up the Emby Android TV app 2.0.83g on the TV and yep, the audio dropouts reappeared. So went back to regular android app 3.2.90 and all good again.

So whatever updates you guys made with 3.2.90 fixed my audio dropouts (for me at least) and hopefully you can make those fixes also into any upcoming update for Android TV App. I say this because using the Android TV App is nicer on my 85" Sony TV mainly because stats for nerds is much faster & easier to get to. I'm a nerd see? 😉

Edit: However, I did notice that I can't make the subs smaller using the regular android app 3.2.90. I have "Smaller" set in Emby Server & in the app  3.2.90 settings. And nope, the subs are not getting smaller like when using the Android TV App. So that's a bug but hopefully it's been reported already...

Edited by andyxoxo

Bumping this as I've recently been running into similar issues. The audio itself actually plays fine but when on DTS-HD or Stereo PCM tracks, the video is choppy/stuttering. Turning off the "DTS-HD Passthrough" option fixes it, which I saw advised on an older thread, and it's still direct playing (so I guess I don't fully understand the "passthrough" options in the first place then?). However the issue is still present when playing a PCM track, since there's no similar option to turn off like the DTS-HD. This happens on both the Android TV app and regular sideloaded Android app. Almost seems like it's related to higher bitrate/uncompressed audio...?

17 hours ago, Vienna said:

Bumping this as I've recently been running into similar issues. The audio itself actually plays fine but when on DTS-HD or Stereo PCM tracks, the video is choppy/stuttering. Turning off the "DTS-HD Passthrough" option fixes it, which I saw advised on an older thread, and it's still direct playing (so I guess I don't fully understand the "passthrough" options in the first place then?). However the issue is still present when playing a PCM track, since there's no similar option to turn off like the DTS-HD. This happens on both the Android TV app and regular sideloaded Android app. Almost seems like it's related to higher bitrate/uncompressed audio...?

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!