Emby problem with TCL TV

njf

Not sure which forum to post this in but I really hope someone call help point me in the right direction.

I run an Emby server on a QNAP NAS. I have the latest version of Emby for QNAP.

I recently bought a TCL TV to be our main TV. It is running Google TV firmware and I have Emby on the TV accessing the server on the NAS.

There are some videos on my NAS which, when I try to play them on the TV using the Emby server, either just open to a black screen and some where the video plays but audio is distorted.

If I access the same videos on my NAS using an Android app on the TV, not using Emby, they play fine.

I have even installed Plex on the NAS and the TCL TV (I used to use Plex before I discovered Emby), they play fine via Plex on the TV.

If I play them using Emby on my Nvidea Shield TV connected to my old Samsung TV, they also play fine.

I don't know where to start to solve the problem. It seems to be an Emby issue as I can play the same videos on the TV using Plex on the NAS or using an Android app on the TV.

It only applies to some videos.

Please help!

Hi Luke

I hope I have done this right. I turned on logs in Emby on my QNAP NAS and attach the result. In case it helps -

at 6:05 I played one of the videos that shows just a black screen on the TCL TV for 30 seconds

at 6:06 I played another of those videos

at 6:07 I played one of the videos that has the distorted sound for 30 seconds

at 6:08 I played another one of those videos

Does this help at all? Did I do it right?

By the way, I noticed that I seem to have 16 logs even when I don't turn on Debug logging. Is that normal?

embyserver.txt

Edited by njf

GrimReaper
7 hours ago, njf said:

Bump. Any help?

Hey up, 

see how to report a media playback issue.

Emby for Android TV/Fire TV and Emby for Roku Logs

These apps have the option to send an app log to us electronically.  You enter the settings page and turn on the "Debug Options".  Now there will be a new tile on your home page settings row (or menu option on the user menu at the top) labelled "Send Log".  Reproduce your problem and then use this button to send the log.  Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

Also, you can sideload standard app from here: Emby for Android - Emby and see how does that compare.

seanbuff
15 minutes ago, njf said:

OK, I think I have just sent the log. The first item I tried to play had the distorted audio and the second the blank screen.

As per the instructions, please also provide:

Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened. Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

4 hours ago, njf said:

OK, I think I have just sent the log. The first item I tried to play had the distorted audio and the second the blank screen.

Hi.  If I found your proper log, it was basically empty.  Please be sure and send the log right after reproducing the issue.  You can send it right from the playback OSD.

Thanks.

OK. I tried again. The log was sent at precisely 7:00 EST. I started the debug at 06:58. I first played a file where the audio is distorted and then one which produces a blank scree. My ID is njf.

Does this one show up?

Thanks.

Yes I see playback in that one but nothing in the logs indicates a problem.  If you de-select the subtitle track, does it make a difference?

Thanks, Luke. Unfortunately, I am now away from the TV which has the problem until the end of March so I won't be able to test it until then.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
papugo1980

I too have the same problem, I have a tcl c835, the distorted audio occurs with Ac3 or Eac3 with audio bitrate equal to or greater than 640Kbs, or on some AAC and here also the video freezes, to date it still hasn't been resolved, we need to use an external player or press twice on fix playback, hoping that emby can fix this problem because tcl guarantees the perfect functioning of the pre-installed apps and not those of third parties.

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, papugo1980 said:

I too have the same problem, I have a tcl c835, the distorted audio occurs with Ac3 or Eac3 with audio bitrate equal to or greater than 640Kbs, or on some AAC and here also the video freezes, to date it still hasn't been resolved, we need to use an external player or press twice on fix playback, hoping that emby can fix this problem because tcl guarantees the perfect functioning of the pre-installed apps and not those of third parties.

Have you tried this? 

On 1/18/2023 at 8:19 PM, Luke said:

Can you try updating to the latest version of the sideload build?

papugo1980

I tried it but unfortunately the problem persists. The strange thing however is that Jellyfin does not have these problems, it reproduces everything correctly. I'm sorry about this because I prefer to use emby

5 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

Have you tried this? 

3 hours ago, papugo1980 said:

Hi.  Try setting the audio option in the app settings to "Mix down to stereo" and see if that makes a difference.

9 hours ago, papugo1980 said:

I tried it but unfortunately the problem persists.

What version number was it when you tried?

papugo1980
18 hours ago, Luke said:

What version number was it when you tried?

Just tested with version 3.2.92 and the problem is the same

TheSnodger
On 3/2/2023 at 3:06 PM, papugo1980 said:

Just tested with version 3.2.92 and the problem is the same

I have also tested with my Firestick 4K Max which is connected directly into the Samsung soundbar, which is then connected to a HiSense laser TV.

Of the 5 movies I tried to play, only Rocky 4 played (mediainfo for each attached). The others did not display any video but played sound.

Is there any benefit to me connecting my Apple TV or Roku stick to the soundbar and trying the same files on the Apple/Roku versions of Emby?

1917.txt nobody.txt Rocky4.txt spartacus.txt whale.txt

papugo1980

However if you can please fix this audio problem that would be great as its a shame i have to use plex or jellyfin on this tcl tv

• 2 weeks later...
PrinzValium

Hi I,m having the Same issues in TCL c735 with EAC3 and Atmos audio. Jellyfin Works without a Problem and on other clients (Firestick,Android Phone, Windows) emby also Works with These Files. Only on my TCL TV emby doesnt Work proberly.