Hisense, TCL & Sony models - Playback issues on Emby for Android TV

lastditch

Not sure if it helps anyone with a Hisense TV - but my problem started when Hisense did a firmware update. It also turns out (according to Hisense) that they accidentally pushed firmware of a different TV to mine - causing all sorts of other issues. I manually updated my firmware to the right version and the problem is now gone. Chances are this happened to others too. Not saying that applies to everyone though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

bonaminGR

Hello Guys. 
I'm experience similar issues. 

Intro:

I have been using Emby so far, MOSTLY on PCs using a browser or using a chinese TV Box on my living room's TV. I also used Emby very few times on my phone using the Android App, and sometimes on a couple of LG WebOS TVs. Everything was working fine, at least most of the time. Some hiccups here and there on one of my LG TVs, but I found it reasonable as the TV is old enough to be considered "slow". 

Two days ago, I bought a TCL 65C835 TV, with Android TV built in, and I was very happy be able to use Emby with a native app on the TV, without having to use a TV box. Seperate remotes are annoying to be honest. 

That being said, my happiness ended as soon as I loaded the app. 

The Problems: 

- A LOT of stuttering and choppy audio on most of my films. Even the ones that do seem to play fine, they are definitely NOT fine. Judder is very obvious and micro stuttering is almost always present. 
- Some titles, don't play AT ALL. 

What I have noticed / Tried: 

- Using (sideloading) the Android app, does not help. It makes things worse I might say. 
- Looks like MOST of the files that do have a problem, have some sort of EAC3 Audio.
- On Films  with dual or triple Audio, for example EAC3 and AAC, the AAC track works fine, but selecting EAC stutters. 
- If I try the "Playback Correction" button, 1 or sometimes a couple of times, it "fixes" things. BUT, the way it fixes it, is by apparently downmixing the Audio to 2.0. Which is a no-no for me since I am having the problem in my Home Theater. I can see on "Stats for Nerds" that Audio is no longer Direct, but it's "Software Decode" AAC. 
- If I use the External Player option, both VLC and MX Player seem to be working "NEARLY" fine. They don't stutter, but subs have some problems. 
- I tried KODI on the TV using the Emby addon, and files are playing just fine. 
- I tried installing a fresh install of Emby on my PC (My regular Emby runs on my Dedicated Server Machine), no difference. 
- I tried loading the same exact files on two temporary Jellyfin and Plex servers, and they both work flawlessly. Direct Play with Multi Channel Audio.

I know I can have both Emby and Plex/JF running using the same file directory, but I really don't like the UI if those two. 
Kodi using Emby's library works FINE on my PC, and I actually "Kinda" likes the way it works (plus it has the "Random Film Suggestions" that I've been asking :D ), but on the TV the UI is laggish. 

I really like the convinience of the Native Emby App, and using 1 remote. So I would REALLY like it to work :( 

More Detailed Info:

TV Model: TCL 65C835
Kernel: 4.19.116+
ATV OS Build: AR2101
Product Info: V8-T615T03-LF1V474.000418

Emby Android TV app: 2.0.90g

TV Connected via ARC-CEC to a Marantz SR7010
Network is LAN cable. 
Server is on the same Network

Emby Server: 4.7.14
Hardware Transoding is Enabled using dedicated GPU.

Examples of Films that Stutter:
1.JPG.73ddc9b0cc8e5408147158fca634b72d.JPG

2.JPG.251b4a1cf461a967fe0b63744d83f483.JPG

Example of Film that does not play at all. 
// It DOES play if I limit bandwidth and force transcoding, or it DOES play if I set "Downmix to Stereo" in settings. Doesn't work as Direct Play at all. //
3.JPG.e6b84e1acf7931b4b04965053052de2a.JPG

Example of a Film that plays flawlessly even though 4K with many audio channels:
5.JPG.c393b132c27f407fb907babf602f302b.JPG

Sorry for the long post. Just sharing some info that could possibly help. I would really, REALLY, love for this to be resolved. 
I'm just a step away from ordering an nVidia Shield Pro. I got so annoyed by this TV. :(

rbjtech
1 hour ago, bonaminGR said:

I'm just a step away from ordering an nVidia Shield Pro.  :(

Ultimately your answer - if you value your time/sanity.  The Shield Pro 'just works' and has been the AV Enthusiasts favorite for all this time for this very reason.

The ONLY downside is it does not support AV1 in h/w, nor does it support HDR10+

5 hours ago, bonaminGR said:

Hello Guys. 
I'm experience similar issues. 

Intro:

I have been using Emby so far, MOSTLY on PCs using a browser or using a chinese TV Box on my living room's TV. I also used Emby very few times on my phone using the Android App, and sometimes on a couple of LG WebOS TVs. Everything was working fine, at least most of the time. Some hiccups here and there on one of my LG TVs, but I found it reasonable as the TV is old enough to be considered "slow". 

Two days ago, I bought a TCL 65C835 TV, with Android TV built in, and I was very happy be able to use Emby with a native app on the TV, without having to use a TV box. Seperate remotes are annoying to be honest. 

That being said, my happiness ended as soon as I loaded the app. 

The Problems: 

- A LOT of stuttering and choppy audio on most of my films. Even the ones that do seem to play fine, they are definitely NOT fine. Judder is very obvious and micro stuttering is almost always present. 
- Some titles, don't play AT ALL. 

What I have noticed / Tried: 

- Using (sideloading) the Android app, does not help. It makes things worse I might say. 
- Looks like MOST of the files that do have a problem, have some sort of EAC3 Audio.
- On Films  with dual or triple Audio, for example EAC3 and AAC, the AAC track works fine, but selecting EAC stutters. 
- If I try the "Playback Correction" button, 1 or sometimes a couple of times, it "fixes" things. BUT, the way it fixes it, is by apparently downmixing the Audio to 2.0. Which is a no-no for me since I am having the problem in my Home Theater. I can see on "Stats for Nerds" that Audio is no longer Direct, but it's "Software Decode" AAC. 
- If I use the External Player option, both VLC and MX Player seem to be working "NEARLY" fine. They don't stutter, but subs have some problems. 
- I tried KODI on the TV using the Emby addon, and files are playing just fine. 
- I tried installing a fresh install of Emby on my PC (My regular Emby runs on my Dedicated Server Machine), no difference. 
- I tried loading the same exact files on two temporary Jellyfin and Plex servers, and they both work flawlessly. Direct Play with Multi Channel Audio.

I know I can have both Emby and Plex/JF running using the same file directory, but I really don't like the UI if those two. 
Kodi using Emby's library works FINE on my PC, and I actually "Kinda" likes the way it works (plus it has the "Random Film Suggestions" that I've been asking :D ), but on the TV the UI is laggish. 

I really like the convinience of the Native Emby App, and using 1 remote. So I would REALLY like it to work :( 

More Detailed Info:

TV Model: TCL 65C835
Kernel: 4.19.116+
ATV OS Build: AR2101
Product Info: V8-T615T03-LF1V474.000418

Emby Android TV app: 2.0.90g

TV Connected via ARC-CEC to a Marantz SR7010
Network is LAN cable. 
Server is on the same Network

Emby Server: 4.7.14
Hardware Transoding is Enabled using dedicated GPU.

Examples of Films that Stutter:
1.JPG.73ddc9b0cc8e5408147158fca634b72d.JPG

2.JPG.251b4a1cf461a967fe0b63744d83f483.JPG

Example of Film that does not play at all. 
// It DOES play if I limit bandwidth and force transcoding, or it DOES play if I set "Downmix to Stereo" in settings. Doesn't work as Direct Play at all. //
3.JPG.e6b84e1acf7931b4b04965053052de2a.JPG

Example of a Film that plays flawlessly even though 4K with many audio channels:
5.JPG.c393b132c27f407fb907babf602f302b.JPG

Sorry for the long post. Just sharing some info that could possibly help. I would really, REALLY, love for this to be resolved. 
I'm just a step away from ordering an nVidia Shield Pro. I got so annoyed by this TV. :(

I have the 75 inch of same TV and in the same boat.  It all works fine with jellyfin.  I demo the DV stuff to people on jellyfin.  It’s a great TV let down bumpy emby in some way.  
Search forums for TCL and you will see about 4 threads I am tracking of issues going back 6 months.  I believe Hisense have a similar issue.

downmix to stereo makes things play at least, but need volume up to 100 on many things, including some liveTV and recordings in Australia.  

it’s too hard for wife, kids and grandson to get a failure, then change the playback, so that is the jellyfin TV now.

For those that say just get a shield, I have a shield, but that’s not a fix.

worse, my son is buying one for gaming, so anywhere jellyfin TV you less this is sorted.

in summary, it’s not the TV if jellyfin works with all we throw at it, the tv pops up with DV and HDR10 and Atmos when it sees that.  All works fine.

• Like 1

bonaminGR
4 hours ago, rbjtech said:

Ultimately your answer - if you value your time/sanity.  The Shield Pro 'just works' and has been the AV Enthusiasts favorite for all this time for this very reason.

The ONLY downside is it does not support AV1 in h/w, nor does it support HDR10+

Thank you. I'm seriously considering it. 
I don't have any AV1 files at the moment although I do see the need for it. It looks promising. 

What about HDR10+ ? Is that a problem, and what does that mean ? 
If a movie is in HDR10+ will it not play, or ? 
Can you elaborate more please ? ❤️

bonaminGR
50 minutes ago, vaise said:

I have the 75 inch of same TV and in the same boat.  It all works fine with jellyfin.  I demo the DV stuff to people on jellyfin.  It’s a great TV let down bumpy emby in some way.  
Search forums for TCL and you will see about 4 threads I am tracking of issues going back 6 months.  I believe Hisense have a similar issue.

downmix to stereo makes things play at least, but need volume up to 100 on many things, including some liveTV and recordings in Australia.  

it’s too hard for wife, kids and grandson to get a failure, then change the playback, so that is the jellyfin TV now.

worse, my son is buying one for gaming, so anywhere jellyfin TV you less this is sorted.

in summary, it’s not the TV if jellyfin works with all we throw at it, the tv pops up with DV and HDR10 and Atmos when it sees that.  All works fine.

I understand what you are saying. It seems to me like Jellyfin and Plex are indeed both working on the TV, although, when you use either one to play a film, or even Netflix, or F1TV that I use for example, trying alter menu settings on the TV itself becomes very laggy, which leads me to believe, the chipsets inside the TVs can BARELY keep up with the needs of the OS.

Anyway, if buying a proper streaming box is the way, I might as well consider it. 

I do not plan on switching to either JF or Plex at the moment, as I don't like their UI. Emby is, well, more polished and to my taste. 
Maybe I could sideload one of those, on the server side, just to able to play the files on that specific TV, but other than that, Emby works for me. 

I dont like the jellyfin interface either, and the server takes about 2 minutes to start whereas emby is seconds, the liveTV is where emby was years ago, did nto in fact work and I would have to reenact tvheadend for the recording.  But I have to keep the wife happy - so she uses jellyfin on that new TV.  Each server beta and android app update I rush down with everything crossed in the hope today is the day I can delete jellyfin - but alas not for a while.....

• Like 1

rbjtech
10 hours ago, bonaminGR said:

Thank you. I'm seriously considering it. 
I don't have any AV1 files at the moment although I do see the need for it. It looks promising. 

What about HDR10+ ? Is that a problem, and what does that mean ? 
If a movie is in HDR10+ will it not play, or ? 
Can you elaborate more please ? ❤️

It will play the HDR10 element just fine - you will just not get the dynamic metadata from the HDR10+ element.

Considering the number of HDR10+ titles is a very low % vs DV, then I don't consider it much of a negative - and of course your TV would need to support HDR10+ anyway.

I'm also not convinced on AV1 - it's been out a while and I do not see any form of mass adoption for AV media playback - so again, only a negative if your media collection is AV1 or been converted to AV1.   Sticking with avc/hevc is still a very solid choice imo.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with a Shield Pro - but maybe buy one with a return policy, and if it doesn't play everything you throw at it - then return it.. :)

rbjtech
11 hours ago, vaise said:

Just because your equipment is not compatible with a common 'standard' out there - doesn't mean that manufacturer or software code is going to change anytime soon - or may never change because they have a 'policy' or 'license' restrictions or are simply unable to reproduce the issue or frankly unwilling to spend the time looking into the issue if it's just a few cases...

I believe The TCL plays the streaming network formats fine, reports of plex and jellyfin all fine and the third party android players too.  I would say that covers the ‘standards’ that the majority expect.

• Like 1

rbjtech
19 minutes ago, vaise said:

I believe The TCL plays the streaming network formats fine, reports of plex and jellyfin all fine and the third party android players too.  I would say that covers the ‘standards’ that the majority expect.

Sure - but as another example - the LG Player does not play DV in the MKV container - raised with LG back in 2018.   Am I expecting LG to 'fix it' - frankly, no I'm not and to the best of my knowledge - that still does not work.  I moved on and bought the Shield Pro and have not looked back.  I agree it's unfortunate that Emby does not fully work with your TV, but sometimes you just need to accept it and move on, however frustrating .. that's all I'm saying. 

Edited by rbjtech

bonaminGR
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

I moved on and bought the Shield Pro and have not looked back.  I agree it's unfortunate that Emby does not fully work with your TV, but sometimes you just need to accept it and move on, however frustrating .. that's all I'm saying. 

Thank you for your input.
Another small question if you don't mind !

I have a computer next room (5950X/RTX3080Ti) and right bellow the TV, an XBOX Series X. 
Would you suggest using one of those two instead of the Shield ? 
Or is the shield the better option..? 

PS. I will not bother at ALL, with every other feature of the Shield. 
The ONLY thing I want from my player, is to be able to stream my Emby catalogue, the usual Streaming Services (eg. Netflix) and YouTube. 
Nothing more is important to me, at THAT TV in my house. 

So Could I maybe add an HDMI cable from my PC to the TV and use my Computer as the player ? Maybe with Emby Desktop ? 
( When I'm watching something on my PC, currently, I prefer the Emby Web App. It works for me and I have no issues )

EDIT:  What I meant is, WOULD THAT SOLUTION PROVIDE THE BEST or THE SAME PICTURE QUALITY ? 
I know I can use my PC with my TV using an HDMI. I just don't know if all these protocols and standards are supported. 

Sorry if I sound like a noob, but that's because I probably am. :D

Edited by bonaminGR

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Sure - but as another example - the LG Player does not play DV in the MKV container - raised with LG back in 2018.   Am I expecting LG to 'fix it' - frankly, no I'm not and to the best of my knowledge - that still does not work.  I moved on and bought the Shield Pro and have not looked back.  I agree it's unfortunate that Emby does not fully work with your TV, but sometimes you just need to accept it and move on, however frustrating .. that's all I'm saying. 

I dont expect TCL to fix it as from their side, there is nothing broken.  The media plays on everything EXCEPT emby, therefore the issue is with how emby interprets whatever the TV is reporting as its capabilities.  If plex and jellyfin can do it, why not emby ?   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TheClaus
38 minutes ago, TheClaus said:

Hi ebr. I need to do more testing but I think that version fixed the issue for me.

FYI I tried everything that was stuttering before and it seems to be fixed.  I don't know what exo settings you tweaked but they seem to have resolved this issue for me.

• Like 1

Im getting excited again.......... Will check when out of shower.  Cant wait.  This will save me having to run another HDMI in the wall for the old shieldTV......  And mean I can remove jellyfin!

Edited by vaise

Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... Yes.... 

I changed back to auto sound, then played all the media that has failed in the past.  It all plays.

The TV is popping up with HDR10, Dolby Vision and ATMOS when it sees these too.

Nice one.  There are a few threads that need to be updated for this fix.

Great work!

• Thanks 1

viking19

I can also confirm the stuttering appears fixed on 2.0.93. Big thanks to @vaiseand @TheClausfor all the testing and keeping this issue alive. However, the new app no longer remembers the chosen audio track, it always goes back to the default track. Anyone else?

Edited by viking19
grammar

1 hour ago, viking19 said:

I can also confirm the stuttering appears fixed on 2.0.93. Big thanks to @vaiseand @TheClausfor all the testing and keeping this issue alive. However, the new app no longer remembers the chosen audio track, it always goes back to the default track. Anyone else?

Have you explored your Emby user audio settings?

viking19

What user audio settings? Users has no audio settings except for transcoding and "Remember audio track selections" has always been enabled in the server and there are no such settings in the Android TV app. It worked with the previous versions and no settings were changed, all I did was update the app, like I have many times without encountering this problem.

3 hours ago, viking19 said:

However, the new app no longer remembers the chosen audio track, it always goes back to the default track. Anyone else?

Hi.  Nothing was changed here. Can we please look at an example in a new thread?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
andyxoxo

Sony TV, X85J (have had it two years and been troubleshooting Emby Android TV app versions on it for the past two years...

Well, I am happy that some of you guys got your stuttering (audio dropout) problems fixed using Android TV v93g. For me it's somewhat better but I still experienced dropouts to a lesser extent than v83g using my "just for Emby" testing file: West Side Story, 4K H265 mkv Dolby Vision & Atmos. I use it because it's got a lot of motion dancing with HDR & Atmos so it's a great file for Plex & Emby testing.

I would say the dropouts have been reduced by 50% using v93g versus using v83g. And while using the "regular" Android Emby 3.3.29 there are no dropouts. Why is the "regular" Android version so much better at no dropouts than the TV version? It's been like this for a long time now. Life's great mystery. Oh, and in Plex, no dropouts either. It's always the Emby Android TV version that isn't up to snuff.

And I found a FF/REW possible problem using 93g which I posted here

Edited by andyxoxo

vaise

I do agree while the vast majority of issues are sorted, there are a few things that still has a slight but still perceptible issue.

Im not sure on what type of media files it is.

rbjtech
42 minutes ago, andyxoxo said:

Well, I am happy that some of you guys got your stuttering (audio dropout) problems fixed using Android TV v93g. For me it's somewhat better but I still experienced dropouts to a lesser extent than v83g using my "just for Emby" testing file: West Side Story, 4K H265 mkv Dolby Vision & Atmos. I use it because it's got a lot of motion dancing with HDR & Atmos so it's a great file for Plex & Emby testing.

I would say the dropouts have been reduced by 50% using v93g versus using v83g. And while using the "regular" Android Emby 3.3.29 there are no dropouts. Why is the "regular" Android version so much better at no dropouts than the TV version? It's been like this for a long time now. Life's great mystery. Oh, and in Plex, no dropouts either. It's always the Emby Android TV version that isn't up to snuff.

And I found a FF/REW possible problem using 93g which I posted here

@GrimReaper

We should probably change this main topic of this thread to say that this is only an issue on TCL devices ? (or maybe 'embedded' AndroidTV ?)

There has never been any issue with playback of full 4K remux with HD Audio using AndroidTV - for years it been flawless on the Shield and many other certified AndroidTV services, and still is.

Edited by rbjtech