Audio issues when playing certain formats

TheClaus

TheClaus

I am having issues playing certain audio formats when I am using either side loading the standard Android app or Android TV app.  What I did was take my retail copy of Now You See Me and used MakeMKV to create a mkv with the movie on it.  I had it grab just the DTS-HD track for audio.  Then I re-encoded the file to HEVC using FileFlows and had it copy the DTS-HD track along with creating new audio tracks for EAC 5.1, AC3 5.1, AC3 stereo, AAC stereo, and MP3 stereo.

Below are my findings:
Original DTS-HD = Stuttering video and audio
Re-encoded EAC 5.1 = Works
Re-encoded AC3 5.1 = Works
Re-encoded AC3 stereo = Works
Re-encoded AAC stereo = Frozen Screen no audio(If played at the beginning of the movie it is frozen black screen)
Re-encoded MP3 stereo = Works

I have attached the Original mediainfo text and the re-encoded mediainfo text.

Devices I have tested this on:
Hisense - 55" Class A6 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Google TV (55A6H)
Google Chromecast 4K with Google TV connected to TCL - 55" Class 5 Series LED 4K UHD Smart Roku TV

I have tried other movies and shows and found similar results.  My DVD TV shows are useless since I encode those with AAC stereo and now they all freeze.  They were working about three months ago but now the only fix is to downmix to stereo in the Emby app.

I haven't changed any settings on the TV or Chromecast.

Emby Server 4.7.11.0 docker in Unraid
Emby AndroidTV Client 2.0.83g
Hisense TV running Android OS 11

Original_Now You See Me_t172.mkv.txt Re-encoded_Now You See Me_t172.mkv.txt

TheClaus

I tried playing the same file on my Fire TV and it worked without an issue.  Fire TV is running 2.0.79a of AndroidTV.

TheClaus

When I played my test file using Emby for Android 3.2.90 I got the same results.  

Original DTS-HD = Stuttering video and audio
Re-encoded EAC 5.1 = Works
Re-encoded AC3 5.1 = Works
Re-encoded AC3 stereo = Works
Re-encoded AAC stereo = Frozen Screen no audio(If played at the beginning of the movie it is frozen black screen)
Re-encoded MP3 stereo = Works

Let me know if you need anything else.

• 2 weeks later...
TheClaus
17 hours ago, Luke said:

Can you try updating to the latest version of the sideload build?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

We've updated our embedded video player to the latest version. Let's see if it plays better with that. Thanks !

Sorry still no change.  I tried my test file I created from above and the Animated Logo (Lossless) Trailer.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
ajsnetworks

Hey @Luke, I came across a similar problem of audio missing or video not working after reprocessing movies through FileFlow and was about to create a new post but found this one that might be the same problem. If not, I can create a new post.

As mentioned, post-processed videos would not always work with either no audio or no video.

Verified post-processed file was working, via downloading and playing in VLC (Windows). Then I turned to looking at Emby and noticed that Emby had not updated the conversion from h264 to HEVC. I added FileFlow’s Emby plugin that triggers a library update via: “/Library/Media/Updated“ API call and confirmed it works:

2023-11-14 13:55:42.793 Info Server: http/1.1 POST http://host1:8096/Library/Media/Updated. UserAgent:
2023-11-14 13:55:42.794 Info Server: http/1.1 Response 204 to host9. Time: 1ms. http://host1:8096/Library/Media/Updated

But when I do a manual metadata refresh, the videos eventually get updated to the right codecs and play through Emby properly.

So, scratching my head why the API call isn’t sufficient and why I need to do a metadata refresh instead. Only thing I can think of is that FileFlow has an option that I enabled that preserves the files original timestamp after processing. This is mostly to avoid “new movies” being listed that aren’t.

Any work around to having to manually do metadata refreshes every morning?

So, scratching my head why the API call isn’t sufficient and why I need to do a metadata refresh instead. Only thing I can think of is that FileFlow has an option that I enabled that preserves the files original timestamp after processing.

Hi, this is enough, and yes that could be the reason. The date modified timestamp is checked throughout the process to determine what has changed.

19 hours ago, ajsnetworks said:

Any chance there is an api endpoint to trigger a metadata refresh?

Yes, you could use the same api that the refresh metadata dialog uses.