Android TV 2.0.48 but Playback thru VLC for Android TV because of HEVC

godbodian

rbjtech
4 hours ago, ebr said:

Android TVs do not support automatic display mode switching.  

ah-ha - that explains that then.  Thanks @ebr

• 1 month later...
On 11/11/2021 at 9:03 PM, GrimReaper said:

Qual CPU sua máquina servidora possui? Você está transcodificando HEVC 1080p de 10 bits apenas em software, o que pode ser bastante desgastante. 

Translated by google translator:
Following, although not the same case.
Use Emby app on a Miibox S.
In my case it only works with external players enabling software decoding. If you leave it on HW, the video is shredding.
How can I enable SOFTWARE-only encoding in emby's native player?
Problem only on mii box S, because I have a 3rd gen Fire stick and it works perfectly with the native player.

Edited by Edernh

6 hours ago, Edernh said:

Translated by google translator:
Following, although not the same case.
Use Emby app on a Miibox S.
In my case it only works with external players enabling software decoding. If you leave it on HW, the video is shredding.
How can I enable SOFTWARE-only encoding in emby's native player?
Problem only on mii box S, because I have a 3rd gen Fire stick and it works perfectly with the native player.

Hi.  We'll address this in the other topic you posted.

xXSagaiaXx

I just got a 55" Hisense ATV about a month ago and I'm having the same issue. Never had this issue with my Shield TV. It's not something that happens all the time either. It's not just with HEVC either. I've tried playing older videos not converted with HEVC and same problem. Like I said it's intermittent.

• Like 1

godbodian

Here's the only thing I don't understand about what @ebr said as it applies to me, if ATVs don't allow automatic display mode switching, how exactly does the VLC player work so seamlessly (with the only exception being that it won't see some subtitle files).

I would love to have full functionality without constantly swapping between internal and external players.

paralepepipedo

I have a similar problem when I play mkv with coeec hevc, when I play the video for the first time it plays without any problem but if I stop it and press resume from there it is when the video stops and does not play anymore, if I press playback correction it plays a few seconds and it stops again and I can try again until it comes out because it had a lot of errors.

it happens with all the hevc if I play the video with out interruption is no problem, the problem occurs when I stop the video at any minute and resume (if I put pause nothing happens).  The other thing I noticed is that the orange bar of the transcoding is on the daahboard.  fills completely. I use nvidea shield and tvstick

Screenshot_2021-12-24-14-51-25-971_com.mb.android.jpg

• Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 1:49 PM, godbodian said:

Where you talking to me?

If you were, EBR & you already asked me to do that, it didn't change anything.

What version did you try?

godbodian
57 minutes ago, Luke said:

What version did you try?

I used whatever version was present on November 11th, sorry I don't have the exact version id.

As for the other version of Android TV, I upgraded to 2.0.52g, then reverted back when there was no change.

5 minutes ago, godbodian said:

I used whatever version was present on November 11th, sorry I don't have the exact version id.

As for the other version of Android TV, I upgraded to 2.0.52g, then reverted back when there was no change.

Can you try sideloading it again and let us know how that compares?

https://emby.media/emby-for-android.html

Thanks.

godbodian
12 minutes ago, Luke said:

Can you try sideloading it again and let us know how that compares?

Thanks.

I just sideloaded the app. 

Same issue with the certain HEVCs but with the added issue of what I can only explain as an uncalibrated toggling. What I mean is whenever I click the directional pad on the remote, the selection indicator/highlight moves way more than my input. Nearly like a two/three for one. I click once the selector jumps two/three spaces instead of one.

Also I really wouldn't want to use this as a workaround as the notable ATV feature of voice search isn't present in this version.

Edited by godbodian

godbodian
On 12/24/2021 at 8:28 AM, godbodian said:

Here's the only thing I don't understand about what @ebr said as it applies to me, if ATVs don't allow automatic display mode switching, how exactly does the VLC player work so seamlessly (with the only exception being that it won't see some subtitle files).

..I didn't mean to repost this but I do think it's a valid troubleshooting question. To my understanding of what EBR theorized about why the issue was, on my end.. it was the file and my TV not being able to handle the output but I LITERALLY have NO issues with playback with external players/VLC.

But going thru VLC removes the ability to use functions like "Shuffle/Play All", and the ability to play subtitles. Apparently the file naming structure isn't compatible.

But really those are the only issues.

Edited by godbodian
Initially posted in error, edited to make post valid

• 1 month later...
godbodian

Just checking in to see if a solution has been found. It sucks not being able to use HEVC and/or HEVC with subtitles seamlessly.

• 2 months later...
godbodian
On 4/22/2022 at 2:30 PM, Luke said:

Can you try sideloading the latest release of our standard android app and let us know how that compares?

Thanks.

It's still the same issue but somehow, even worse? With the AndroidTV version at least it starts eventually even with the constant visual studder. But this version freezes everything with these certain HEVC files, excluding audio. So the other app, DEFINITELY handles the errors better.

Also I don't know if it's just my TV brand but the UI response for this sideloaded app is all over the place. Sometimes one click on the directional pad, regardless of direction counts as two or three clicks, making navigation difficult.

Thanks for responding back.

EDIT: This is what I'm running, if it helps.

Windows 11 Pro, Emby Server 4.7.0.35beta, APK V2.0.70g (tv.emby.embyatv)

Edited by godbodian
Adding info.

6 hours ago, godbodian said:

It's still the same issue but somehow, even worse? With the AndroidTV version at least it starts eventually even with the constant visual studder. But this version freezes everything with these certain HEVC files, excluding audio. So the other app, DEFINITELY handles the errors better.

Also I don't know if it's just my TV brand but the UI response for this sideloaded app is all over the place. Sometimes one click on the directional pad, regardless of direction counts as two or three clicks, making navigation difficult.

Thanks for responding back.

EDIT: This is what I'm running, if it helps.

Windows 11 Pro, Emby Server 4.7.0.35beta, APK V2.0.70g (tv.emby.embyatv)

What version number of the standard app did you test?

godbodian
59 minutes ago, Luke said:

What version number of the standard app did you test?

The ARM version from the link you provided. 

Version 3.2.47

Thanks,

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, godbodian said:

Hey guys, is there any word on this?

Have you tried the latest version of the standard app?

godbodian
59 minutes ago, ebr said:

Have you tried the latest version of the standard app?

Not recently. I'll try it.

A question, this issue has been present for a year roughly or more roughly because I was dealing with it prior to this post for help. Every time I check back in to see if there's a solution you guys ask me if I'm using the standard app. Which has always confused me because I'm on an Android TV and the standard app never functions correctly on my Android TV. To the point it often doesn't function correctly within the UI. I mean no disrespect in anyway, I'm just not understanding the relevance.

@ebr I just sideloaded Emby for Android 3.2.62. Actually, in this version the UI doesn't jump around when I navigate, which is awesome but there's some slight squeezing with the buttons and posters. Unfortunately, this app also has the same problem. 

Also, if it's my television, why doesn't VLC have the same or similar issues? Using the external player works fine for one off viewings of any format or codec, the reason I don't utilize it is because understandably there's a breakdown between the app and the external player when some of the higher functions are involved. Functions like shuffle, play all, subtitles, etc. all cause issues for the external player although the playing of the videos themselves are seamless.

Edited by godbodian
Update after attempting suggested troubleshooting

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 10:30 AM, godbodian said:

Not recently. I'll try it.

A question, this issue has been present for a year roughly or more roughly because I was dealing with it prior to this post for help. Every time I check back in to see if there's a solution you guys ask me if I'm using the standard app. Which has always confused me because I'm on an Android TV and the standard app never functions correctly on my Android TV. To the point it often doesn't function correctly within the UI. I mean no disrespect in anyway, I'm just not understanding the relevance.

@ebr I just sideloaded Emby for Android 3.2.62. Actually, in this version the UI doesn't jump around when I navigate, which is awesome but there's some slight squeezing with the buttons and posters. Unfortunately, this app also has the same problem. 

Also, if it's my television, why doesn't VLC have the same or similar issues? Using the external player works fine for one off viewings of any format or codec, the reason I don't utilize it is because understandably there's a breakdown between the app and the external player when some of the higher functions are involved. Functions like shuffle, play all, subtitles, etc. all cause issues for the external player although the playing of the videos themselves are seamless.

@godbodian what do you mean by slight squeezing with the buttons and posters?