Android TV 2.0.48 but Playback thru VLC for Android TV because of HEVC

godbodian

godbodian
4 hours ago, rbjtech said:

It looks to be a possible frame rate issue on the first two vids - I would check to see if you have the 'Frame Rate Matching' options set in Emby.  On playback, press and hold the centre button to get Stats for Nerds (SFN) shown - at the top, you want the display fps to match the media fps.   Unless they do, you will get a jerky playback.  Settings on your TV to try and minimise this may help (frame insertion), but the best option is to simply playback at the correct framerate. 

These days, 23.976 is the norm - this 'may' be shown as 24 in some cases.

How do you change the FPS within the app?

rbjtech
21 minutes ago, godbodian said:

How do you change the FPS within the app?

In the 'Playback' settings in the app - there are a couple of settings to do with 'Match Frame Rate and Match Scaling' or something of that nature - I can't remember the exact wording sorry.

You also need to check what it should be in stats for Nerds - are you ok to test that (press and hold 'OK' button on remote, or you can also get to it via the menu's ?)

Edited by rbjtech

godbodian
3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

In the 'Playback' settings in the app - there are a couple of settings to do with 'Match Frame Rate and Match Scaling' or something of that nature - I can't remember the exact wording sorry.

You also need to check what it should be in stats for Nerds - are you ok to test that (press and hold 'OK' button on remote, or you can also get to it via the menu's ?)

The only thing I have is 'Max Streaming Bitrate' in the in-app playback settings.. and yeah I checked the stats and the FPS is standard 23.97.

rbjtech
41 minutes ago, godbodian said:

The only thing I have is 'Max Streaming Bitrate' in the in-app playback settings.. and yeah I checked the stats and the FPS is standard 23.97.

You don't have these settings under 'Playback' ?

Screenshot_20211112-153348.thumb.png.5b5a6be027183e99fb3cefecd5722934.png

Screenshot_20211112-153414.thumb.png.c414aab7c465498d04852b0c68e77c6a.png

edit - to a new user - it is actually not obvious that you can scroll down for a lot more settings ;)  that might be the OP's issue here ... lol

Edited by rbjtech

rbjtech
28 minutes ago, godbodian said:

.. and yeah I checked the stats and the FPS is standard 23.97.

Sure - but what is the Display Mode - that is the important bit - Is this also 23.98 as shown below ? (it should match the Original Media Info framerate)

Screenshot_20211112-154030.thumb.png.6067235d091ccde4594e6acd9a244c6a.png

godbodian
48 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

You don't have these settings under 'Playback' ?

Screenshot_20211112-153348.thumb.png.5b5a6be027183e99fb3cefecd5722934.png

Screenshot_20211112-153414.thumb.png.c414aab7c465498d04852b0c68e77c6a.png

Hey I think I may have pinpointed the possible cause and solution, thanks to you..

I'm running ATV 2.0.48g NOT 2.0.52g, like you. I don't have the Refresh Rate Switching nor the Matching Resolution features.

Where do I get this version of the app?

GrimReaper
3 minutes ago, godbodian said:

Hey I think I may have pinpointed the possible cause and solution, thanks to you..

I'm running ATV 2.0.48g NOT 2.0.52g, like you. I don't have the Refresh Rate Switching nor the Matching Resolution features.

Where do I get this version of the app?

AFAIK, you should have, as those have been there for a long time. 

App Settings>Playback tab, scroll down. 

Edit: Might wanna enable "Debug options" while you're at it. 

Edited by GrimReaper
Append
  • Agree 1

godbodian
20 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Well this is a Beta release (see below) but the Refresh Switching/Matching Resolution are part of the main release.

You did scroll down the 'Playback' configuration menu right ? ;)

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/42240-emby-android-tv-release-notes-beta/

Just updated and the two features still aren't in the playback menu.

20211112_121837.jpg

rbjtech

Hmmm - it's possible that your TV does not support framerate matching - which I find very odd as I thought most TV's do..

Need @ebr to comment here - as that's all I can think of why those settings are missing !

edit - to be more precise, it may be the Version of Android on your TV that does not support framerate matching, the TV itself may (and probably does if you was to connect a Shield for example).

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1

godbodian
6 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Can you show Stats for Nerds in a screen shot - what does Display Mode say ?

There is no "Display Mode".

20211112_124329.jpg

godbodian
16 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Hmmm - it's possible that your TV does not support framerate matching - which I find very odd as I thought most TV's do..

Need @ebr to comment here - as that's all I can think of why those settings are missing !

edit - to be more precise, it may be the Version of Android on your TV that does not support framerate matching, the TV itself may (and probably does if you was to connect a Shield for example).

Below are the specs for my televisions.

Screenshot_20211112-124809_Best Buy.jpg

Screenshot_20211112-124816_Best Buy.jpg

Screenshot_20211112-124825_Best Buy.jpg

Screenshot_20211112-124834_Best Buy.jpg

Screenshot_20211112-124843_Best Buy.jpg

rbjtech

Hmm ok - thinking about it - that may be part of the feature set you don't seem to have.

Lets wait for @ebr - he may want to see why this version of Android is missing these features ..

Is there any way to see what screen refresh you are running on the TV - maybe an 'info' button on the remote or something to show what resolution and refresh you are running ?

If there is - note what they are with emby, then play the same with VLC and note them again.  I'm curious if VLC is changing the refresh.

godbodian
8 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Hmm ok - thinking about it - that may be part of the feature set you don't seem to have.

Lets wait for @ebr - he may want to see why this version of Android is missing these features ..

Is there any way to see what screen refresh you are running on the TV - maybe an 'info' button on the remote or something to show what resolution and refresh you are running ?

If there is - note what they are with emby, then play the same with VLC and note them again.  I'm curious if VLC is changing the refresh.

Yeah this is as close as this TV has I believe.

20211112_125448.jpg

rbjtech

Hmm 23Hz - I hope that is a non rounded up 23.976 .. no TV should be displaying @ 23Hz nor should any media be 23Hz... 

Is that in Emby or VLC ? - can you do one for each, playing the same video and see if there are any differences in what your TV is reporting as the framerate.

godbodian
3 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

Hmm 23Hz - I hope that is a non rounded up 23.976 .. no TV should be displaying @ 23Hz nor should any media be 23Hz... 

Is that in Emby or VLC ? - can you do one for each, playing the same video and see if there are any differences in what your TV is reporting as the framerate.

That was Emby. This is VLC.

20211112_131037.jpg

20211112_131136.jpg

rbjtech

ok - so it's 23.976.  the TV is incorrectly reporting the refresh rate :(

So if both plays are at the same refresh rate (according to your pics, they are), then they SHOULD look the same - but Emby is not smooth correct ?

Lets see if @ebr can see anything in the app log you sent - it may be a HEVC profile or something that Exoplayer (emby) does not like ..

• Thanks 1

Android TVs do not support automatic display mode switching.  Your device is reporting 1080/60 as the only available mode but that may not be accurate.  In the settings for the TV, what is the display set to?

Both of the videos you sent logs for are 23.9x frame rate.

What is the frame rate of the one you say plays well?

godbodian
1 hour ago, ebr said:

Android TVs do not support automatic display mode switching.  Your device is reporting 1080/60 as the only available mode but that may not be accurate.  In the settings for the TV, what is the display set to?

Both of the videos you sent logs for are 23.9x frame rate.

What is the frame rate of the one you say plays well?

This is the third video that plays fine.

FYI, after checking today I realize this only happens with the two AndroidTVs.. my other Chromecast enabled televisions and my one Roku device don't experience the HEVC issue. EDIT: The issue is present with my sons Xbox, also.

20211112_144410.jpg

20211112_144552.jpg

Edited by godbodian

That is 23.9x as well.  Somewhere in your TV menus there should be a place you can set the resolution and possibly the refresh rate.  Also, I noticed in your specs that it has "smooth motion technology".  Find any sort of enhancement like that and try turning it off.

godbodian
28 minutes ago, ebr said:

That is 23.9x as well.  Somewhere in your TV menus there should be a place you can set the resolution and possibly the refresh rate.  Also, I noticed in your specs that it has "smooth motion technology".  Find any sort of enhancement like that and try turning it off.

There's no real toggle for controlling the functionality of the resolution nor refresh rate separately or directly, surprisingly. 

Apparently everything is automatic.

godbodian
6 minutes ago, ebr said:

You cannot turn off their "special enhancement" processing either?

Nope not at all. It's basically colors and contrast, etc.