A tool for tagging Emby content

VicMoore
GrimReaper
Message added by GrimReaper,

For Plugin version of the tool, go to:

VicMoore

Thanks Bigverm23 for the clarification.  This tool doen't do what you need.  I did learn something new and I will explore it further.  

Vic

VicMoore

I had several days with nothing to do so I programmed on my laptop. I rewrote the tag tool from scratch. It's now organized into multiple files according to function.  I also used the latest javascript features.  The code is much faster and easier to modify. The rewrite lacks a few filters and a few other simple things. These things will be added soon.  Download all of the files to the same folder and click on "tool.html."  Also included is a draft for a manual. It's about 70% finishrd.

1   Display and navigate the Emby library,

2   Select and edit the metadata for an item within the library

o   add or remove tags, genres, studios and cast members

o   add or remove locks,

o   set watched and played status,

o   edit dates, ratings, and other metadata

3    play movies, videos, TV shows, audio, music, and photos,

4    read ePub books

5    Bulk edit metadata

6    Display the VirtualTV guide,

o   play a channel from the guide on one or more TVs

o   play a channel on your computer

7    Apply filters to select specific media,

8    Create a new Emby Collection and add selected media to it,

9    Add or remove media from an existing Emby Collection,

10    Create a new Emby Playlist and add selected media to it,

11    Add or remove media from an existing Emby Playlist,

12    Play an Emby playlist,

13    Dashboards for Emby devices

o   Monitor Emby clients playing media

o   Control all media playing on devices

14    Edit channel Tags, Names, and Numbers

Kanipek has been helping me test the code.  The testing is not finished so proceed with care. I will correct bugs ASAP.

Vic

jszip.min.js manual.docx media.js tool.html tool.js bulk.js channels.js dashboard.js editor.js epg.js epub - Copy.js epub.js filter.js

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

kuzak84

Thank you SO much, Vic, for all of your hard work, especially with everything that's been going on with you recently. You fill a huge void, IMHO, with Emby. Though I like it as a more low-profile alternative to Plex and others, it does lack so many basic features that one would think are no-brainers in 2022, especially when it comes to editing and using metadata. So thank you for your generosity in filling that void!

My library is primarily made up of home videos, which I've spent a huge amount of time tagging with keywords and actors (names of family members), and yet, Emby seems to lack basic functionality in terms of being able to view a list of actors (family members) in its database, editing metadata on-the-go, enabling a quick "star" rating system (like Plex does), etc. To their credit, Plex does seem to be listening to feedback, but is incredibly slow to implement change, even going so far as to essentially say (in so many words) "you don't really need that feature," or "it isn't worth our time to do that." I get it, it's free, but again, in 2022, these just seem to be easy features to implement. Anyway, I'm done soapboxing :) 

Two suggestions for you as you develop the 2.0 version of your tool.

1. I know you said that more filter options are on the way, but the ability to filter by "No tag," "No actors tagged," "No studio," etc. would be incredible. WIth hundreds of videos in my library, I would really like the ability to quickly find those that need metadata added.

2. Having a live metadata editing form under the playing video. Unfortunately, Emby seems to have gotten rid of the "3-dot" context menu from its video player, so no more quick access to the "Edit metadata" screen.

Again, thank you so much, Vic!

Best wishes!

• Agree 1

VicMoore

thanks Kuzak84 for the kind words. I will add both of your requests if you agree to test them.  The first one is easy.  The second is more complex.  Would it be adequate to add tag and genre editing at the bottom of the playing video? 

Vic

• Like 1

VicMoore

Chowbok,  I added to bulk edit the means to remove taglines and overviews.  Let me know if it works as you expect.

Vic 

kuzak84
4 hours ago, VicMoore said:

thanks Kuzak84 for the kind words. I will add both of your requests if you agree to test them.  The first one is easy.  The second is more complex.  Would it be adequate to add tag and genre editing at the bottom of the playing video? 

Vic

Vic, absolutely!

Thank you so much!

Happy2Play
7 hours ago, kuzak84 said:

2. Having a live metadata editing form under the playing video. Unfortunately, Emby seems to have gotten rid of the "3-dot" context menu from its video player, so no more quick access to the "Edit metadata" screen.

OT: If you truly want you can unhide it with custom css on Local Web Client as custom css only applies to local web client not online client or any other client.

App Setting-Settings, custom css box (log in as admin user)

div.videoOsdBottom div.videoOsdBottom-maincontrols button.btnOsdMore {display: inline-flex !important;}

image.thumb.png.9146e791e80d050138f66b0a72bf32cb.png

Personally, never seen a need for this during playback.

VicMoore

Thanks for the tip Happy2Play...    Try the new code I think you will like it.

Vic

• Agree 1

Happy2Play
5 hours ago, VicMoore said:

The second is more complex.  Would it be adequate to add tag and genre editing at the bottom of the playing video? 

I would think a button next to Volume to your exiting item edit metadata form opening below player.  Or automatically display edit metadata in a section below player.

VicMoore

Hello Kuzak84...

I have added the filters you requested.

Add the new tools and filter javascript files attached below to your folder.  Let me know how it works.  Remember that you agreed to test them.

Vic

tool.js

filter.js

Edited by VicMoore

Happy2Play

Might be better to provide a single zip file instead of individual files.  I can see if only one or two files change posting individually.

kuzak84
On 10/7/2022 at 5:26 PM, VicMoore said:

Hi Vic,

Thank you so much for your swift work for all of this! It works for me in Safari (and the functionality works perfectly), but in Chrome the tag/genre settings never load. It's strange. I'll play around with the Chrome settings and see what I can figure out. It may be a security setting that tripping it up. I'll continue to stress test it as well. Is there any possibility down the line of adding options for Actors, etc.?

With regard to the filters, that works awesome as well! Again with regard to Actors, is there any chance of a filter being able to detect videos missing that metadata? I know I have a specialized case where I'm trying to tag family videos.

Thanks so much Vic!

Seger

Hey erstmal herzlichen Dank für das wundervolle Tool.

I have tested under both Chrome and Firefox, the filter Show media without TAG works as desired. The single edit tag to overwrite or add also works. But unfortunately the bulk changes does not work, as soon as you click save too nothing happens.

Thank you and best regards

Seger

image.png.a9f9ffc59584edbe70edad47f16a2f00.png

VicMoore

Seger,  I am able to duplicate the problem you are having.  I will fix it tonight.  Thank you for pointing out this error.   I think the problem is that I left some test code in the software.

Vic

Thank you very much! It ran through something and indicated several times that it was reloading the page. It also added some TAG. I have selected replace all existing ones and set them under Add: children's films. But some films remain and are not set. I repeated it on those films because I thought maybe it can't set the amount at once, but unfortunately it doesn't change those films. What I also noticed is that it doesn't show how many films were selected as marked, that could be added. I could now try to edit the films again with a simple add without the function of overwriting existing ones, as the films also don't have a tag yet. Can you look at this again or do you have an idea how I should best proceed so that you can find the error?

Thank you!

Damn, but it's my own fault, I don't have to work on the whole library in the future. I saw that he replaced all my tags, even though I only set the function for the TAGs and added a new "children's films". As you can see, it also removed the community ratings, the age rating, the year and the release date, actually it should have only removed the one tag.Unbenannt.thumb.PNG.cd0b32ed212741772cf7d8c1168edb83.PNG

Unbenannt1.thumb.PNG.467a0319644fd6a4239f41a478d57483.PNG

image.png.1c0790a9654726bd70b20c4843314317.png

VicMoore

Seger, I am sorry that you are having problems.  I will look at the code again and fix it. I will also test it better than I have been.  I will get to it today.

Vic

VicMoore

Seger,  I tested the bulk edit and it worked fine.  What browser are you using?  Also bring up the browser console and see if any error messages are being given.  I will continue testing.

Vic

On 10/10/2022 at 2:14 PM, VicMoore said:

Seger,  I tested the bulk edit and it worked fine.  What browser are you using?  Also bring up the browser console and see if any error messages are being given.  I will continue testing.

Vic

Chrome is my browser. The following can be seen in the log, I have marked some films with Ctrl, then Bulk and it is taken over. But unfortunately, as already shown in the pictures, it deletes all TAGs and takes over children's films. All the other things should not be overwritten. But if I select all films in the set filter, it does not apply the bulk change.

Edited by Seger

VicMoore

Good morning Seger...

I did find one problem.  You filtered on "show only items with tags", then did a bulk edit.  After the bulk edit, my screen went back to the main screen and displayed only items with tags, which there were none.  It should have returned to the folder where I was doing the bulk edit.  This is a bug but not the bug you described.  I have tried to duplicate your every move with no success in duplicating your bug.  I will keep trying.

Vic

Thank you for continuing to try, I have repeated it over and over again. It shows the same picture. Doesn't it overwrite the other TAGs when you add one in the mass processing under the Tag field and tick off that it should sign existing TAGs? Normally, the field should then only sign the TAGs and not delete all the other tags, right?

The second problem is that it then simply does not implement a handful at all. If I don't go via mass distribution, everything is transferred cleanly.

In addition, I still have the issue of age ratings for all countries (especially Germany) open, you wrote about it with me 2 pages ago and considered adopting a list for all ratings.

VicMoore

Good morning Seger...  please reload the tool in the browser, press F12 to bring up the console, sign onto your server, go to a folder,  select two shows, click bulk edit, add a tag, and click save.  Now copy the contents of the console and send it to me.

I really want to solve this problem and I greatly appreciate your help.

Vic