Docker

Luke

2 minutes ago, KoRnEr007 said:

A 4.6.6 will be out, i am waiting before update even on docker

Hi, yes the Docker update is coming. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not sure what could cause this but my Emby install in docker is out of date.

It's running 4.5.4.0. Linux docker container.

docker pull emby/embyserver:latest
latest: Pulling from emby/embyserver
Digest: sha256:fe546815dfc198ffb4b700952664e4960113921f5b55bfba89fb23da5f8583fb
docker.io/emby/embyserver:latest

Anything I might be missing?

Thank you!

aptalca
5 hours ago, thawkth said:

I'm not sure what could cause this but my Emby install in docker is out of date.

It's running 4.5.4.0. Linux docker container.

docker pull emby/embyserver:latest
latest: Pulling from emby/embyserver
Digest: sha256:fe546815dfc198ffb4b700952664e4960113921f5b55bfba89fb23da5f8583fb
docker.io/emby/embyserver:latest

Anything I might be missing?

Thank you!

Did you recreate the container after pulling the image?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aptalca said:

Did you recreate the container after pulling the image?

I didn't! That helped. Emby is my first/only Docker container and I think I missed that.

The documentation said to pull the container but I never saw that it was necessary to do this. Since I used Docker Compose what I had to do (in case someone else ran into this!) is:

docker-compose pull 
docker-compose up -d

Make sure to do this from whatever directory your emby docker compose file is in.

Thank you!

I've got a quick question since I ran into this issue today after getting my docker up to date.

I received this message:
docker.errors.InvalidArgument: "host" network_mode is incompatible with port_bindings

This is the Emby Docker page and the instructions:
https://hub.docker.com/r/emby/embyserver

The container can be run using the following Docker Compose file:

version: "2.3"
services:
  emby:
    image: emby/embyserver
    container_name: embyserver
    runtime: nvidia # Expose NVIDIA GPUs
    network_mode: host # Enable DLNA and Wake-on-Lan
    environment:
      - UID=1000 # The UID to run emby as (default: 2)
      - GID=100 # The GID to run emby as (default 2)
      - GIDLIST=100 # A comma-separated list of additional GIDs to run emby as (default: 2)
    volumes:
      - /path/to/programdata:/config # Configuration directory
      - /path/to/tvshows:/mnt/share1 # Media directory
      - /path/to/movies:/mnt/share2 # Media directory
    ports:
      - 8096:8096 # HTTP port
      - 8920:8920 # HTTPS port
    devices:
      - /dev/dri:/dev/dri # VAAPI/NVDEC/NVENC render nodes
      - /dev/vchiq:/dev/vchiq # MMAL/OMX on Raspberry Pi
    restart: unless-stopped

According to this, I don't think it's supported to specify ports and network_mode: host simultaneously. Can anyone confirm? Here are some details:

https://forums.docker.com/t/docker-errors-invalidargument-host-network-mode-is-incompatible-with-port-bindings/103492/11

I commented the host line out and everything seems to be working normally.

Thank you for this great project and the help!

aptalca
8 hours ago, thawkth said:

I've got a quick question since I ran into this issue today after getting my docker up to date.

I received this message:
docker.errors.InvalidArgument: "host" network_mode is incompatible with port_bindings

This is the Emby Docker page and the instructions:
https://hub.docker.com/r/emby/embyserver

The container can be run using the following Docker Compose file:

version: "2.3"
services:
  emby:
    image: emby/embyserver
    container_name: embyserver
    runtime: nvidia # Expose NVIDIA GPUs
    network_mode: host # Enable DLNA and Wake-on-Lan
    environment:
      - UID=1000 # The UID to run emby as (default: 2)
      - GID=100 # The GID to run emby as (default 2)
      - GIDLIST=100 # A comma-separated list of additional GIDs to run emby as (default: 2)
    volumes:
      - /path/to/programdata:/config # Configuration directory
      - /path/to/tvshows:/mnt/share1 # Media directory
      - /path/to/movies:/mnt/share2 # Media directory
    ports:
      - 8096:8096 # HTTP port
      - 8920:8920 # HTTPS port
    devices:
      - /dev/dri:/dev/dri # VAAPI/NVDEC/NVENC render nodes
      - /dev/vchiq:/dev/vchiq # MMAL/OMX on Raspberry Pi
    restart: unless-stopped

According to this, I don't think it's supported to specify ports and network_mode: host simultaneously. Can anyone confirm? Here are some details:

https://forums.docker.com/t/docker-errors-invalidargument-host-network-mode-is-incompatible-with-port-bindings/103492/11

I commented the host line out and everything seems to be working normally.

Thank you for this great project and the help!

That's right. Host networking means all ports are exposed (as it uses the host's network interface directly), which negates the ports definition. You only need host networking if you need to use dlna. If not, omitting host is better, then it will use bridge networking and only the ports you map will be exposed.

Alex3111

Running Emby Server Version 4.7.0.19 beta using `lscr.io/linuxserver/emby image.`

At this moment it is consuming 2.039GiB as per 'Docker stats', and when a Docker restart emby it goes back to 166MiB.

I am having to `docker restart emby` every 4-5 days as only having 4GB total and emby using 50% is killing the environment.  This has been happening for the last 3-4 weeks, and the system is setup to get new docker images when available.

Any suggestions?

aptalca
29 minutes ago, Alex3111 said:

Running Emby Server Version 4.7.0.19 beta using `lscr.io/linuxserver/emby image.`

At this moment it is consuming 2.039GiB as per 'Docker stats', and when a Docker restart emby it goes back to 166MiB.

I am having to `docker restart emby` every 4-5 days as only having 4GB total and emby using 50% is killing the environment.  This has been happening for the last 3-4 weeks, and the system is setup to get new docker images when available.

Any suggestions?

In my experience, the ram usage is around 160MB when it's first started but not accessed. Once I access the server, ram usage jumps to around 1GB. However, if I don't access it again for a while, it drops to below 200MB eventually. So I'm not seeing a constant increase (as in memory leak), but it goes up and down depending on usage.

• 1 month later...

Maybe a feature request: My GPU only has 4GB of VRAM. Sometimes if VRAM is full (cause of encoding multiple streams) emby switches back to software encode.. It would be better emby stays at NVENC and if VRAM is full it should use system RAM

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
hjason7812

Is there an official emby server download for docker now for the truenas scale? Haven't seen anything on the download page for it. Thanks 

alucryd
9 hours ago, hjason7812 said:

Is there an official emby server download for docker now for the truenas scale? Haven't seen anything on the download page for it. Thanks 

Oh it's out now? Will give it a try and see how we can distribute for that one.

hjason7812
2 hours ago, alucryd said:

Oh it's out now? Will give it a try and see how we can distribute for that one.

Yes truenas scale has been out for awhile the release version and they just updated it. Just trying to figure out if there's an emby server for the truenas scale docker 

1 hour ago, hjason7812 said:

Yes truenas scale has been out for awhile the release version and they just updated it. Just trying to figure out if there's an emby server for the truenas scale docker 

Users have previously reported success at installing our docker package on Truenas scale.

hjason7812
8 hours ago, Luke said:

Users have previously reported success at installing our docker package on Truenas scale.

So we can use the install instruction on the first page of this and it will work just fine?

11 hours ago, hjason7812 said:

So we can use the install instruction on the first page of this and it will work just fine?

We're going to be going through it ourselves in the very near future to see if any adjustments to our Docker packages need to be made for TrueNAS. For now i'm just relaying feedback that I've seen from other users.

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, justdrooit said:

Any Docker how-tos on getting Emby Server up to the latest 4.7.0.60?

Re: 

sugarat

I've been running Emby in a Docker container for years now - updating the image now and again to the latest version and all has been great.  But I've just pulled the latest embyserver image and it doesn't start! The docker log shows:

[code]
[s6-init] making user provided files available at /var/run/s6/etc...exited 0.
[s6-init] ensuring user provided files have correct perms...exited 0.
[fix-attrs.d] applying ownership & permissions fixes...
[fix-attrs.d] done.
[cont-init.d] executing container initialization scripts...
[cont-init.d] done.
[services.d] starting services
[services.d] done.
FATAL: kernel too old
[cont-finish.d] executing container finish scripts...
[cont-finish.d] done.
[s6-finish] waiting for services.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the TERM signal.
[s6-finish] sending all processes the KILL signal and exiting.
[code]

Kernel too old??  Does Emby now require new kernel features? My server is running kernel 3.10.0-1160.66.1.el7.x86_64.

Many thanks

Edited by sugarat

alucryd

@sugarat We upped the kernel requirements, but it seems there are still a lot of very old kernels around (3.10 is EOL since 2017 for instance). Just pushed an updated latest tag, could you give it a try?

sugarat
5 minutes ago, alucryd said:

@sugarat We upped the kernel requirements, but it seems there are still a lot of very old kernels around (3.10 is EOL since 2017 for instance). Just pushed an updated latest tag, could you give it a try?

Aah.. okay thanks for letting me know.   oOo  I just pulled the latest image and it now works!

• 4 weeks later...
GloriousPanda
On 04/04/2022 at 22:03, Luke said:

We're going to be going through it ourselves in the very near future to see if any adjustments to our Docker packages need to be made for TrueNAS. For now i'm just relaying feedback that I've seen from other users.

For those wondering about TrueNAS SCALE: Truecharts has Emby Server based on Docker. It uses the Docker images from k8s-at-home because TrueNAS SCALE uses helm charts. All the necessary configuration options that would normally go into docker command line or a docker-compose file are available through the TrueNAS GUI. I've been running it without any issues for almost 8 months now, since back when TrueNAS SCALE was still in beta. I even paid for Emby Premiere back in December last year, and have used its features since then without any issues.

Emby could potentially offer an 'official' (as opposed to the current community one) by having a package available straight from TrueNAS as one of the default applications available for installation on TrueNAS SCALE. The community approach requires adding the community repository to TrueNAS SCALE. The default packages are available without changing anything. The current community applications have a lot of advantages over the default applications, though, such as the fact that community packages support easy ingress through a domain name.

Edited by GloriousPanda
  • Thanks 1

alucryd

@GloriousPandaWe pushed an official image in the scale main repository about a month ago, there shouldn't be any more need for truecharts. Probably needs to be updated for our latest release, will need to check if truenas didn't already update it, but did you give it a try?

• Like 1