Docker

Luke

GloriousPanda
15 hours ago, alucryd said:

@GloriousPandaWe pushed an official image in the scale main repository about a month ago, there shouldn't be any more need for truecharts. Probably needs to be updated for our latest release, will need to check if truenas didn't already update it, but did you give it a try?

Oh yes, I see it now. Thanks for publishing it and for pointing that out! I gave it a quick test and found a few issues:

1. It seems to be on version 4.8.0.2-beta instead of a stable release like the latest 4.7.4.0. Depending on the user, this may be a good thing or a bad thing.

2. I faced some permissions issues for the mounted directory and found nothing on the truenas documentation about what UID and GID apps from official truenas repository require, and nothing about it in the installation screen. This is out of your control, I'm sure. Did a bit of searching and found this page on the docker hub that said that UID and GID environment variables could be used, so I set those variables and tested adding a library and playing a file. Both worked fine this time. Nothing else was tested.

There are a few advantages in the truecharts repository that official truenas repository doesn't provide. The most important ones are:

a. easy ingress with SSL instead of using only IP and port (or an external reverse proxy that points to the IP and port);

b. automatically setting the correct permissions for mounted directories and their contents; and

c. setting manual resource limits (if needed) for CPU and RAM usage.

So, is there a need for truecharts? No.

Is truecharts useful? Absolutely.

Personally, I plan to stick with the truecharts release because of its advantages as long as it stays stable. But having an official release provides two great things: Users don't need an unofficial repository and can just use the official version as long as they are willing to set up some external reverse-proxy when desired; and in case I ever face any issues I can check whether that happens with the official release too.

Edited by GloriousPanda
Typo

HanzoX7

Quick question. I have Emby Premiere (lifetime). I had it on an Asustor NAS that died. Any issues with moving over to Unraid or TrueNAS?

alucryd

@GloriousPandaThanks for the feedback. Yes the docker documentation fully applies to the TrueNAS chart, and we are completely open to improvements. It's just a PR away on GitHub.

Will get in touch with the scale team as 4.8 shouldn't be used there indeed, they probably didn't see it was a prerelease.

Points a and c are fair points, we can get some inspiration from truecharts there. As for point b, IMHO permissions should not be handled automatically as there's always the chance to mess sth up. I totally understand why people would want it, but the same result (readable mounts) can be achieved by tweaking UID, GID and GIDLIST and I prefer leaving that part in the user's hand.

• Like 1

alucryd
2 hours ago, HanzoX7 said:

Quick question. I have Emby Premiere (lifetime). I had it on an Asustor NAS that died. Any issues with moving over to Unraid or TrueNAS?

Not that I know of, you should be able to copy the programdata folder over to any other kind of setup, be it another NAS, native linux installation or docker/kubernetes.

HanzoX7
24 minutes ago, alucryd said:

Not that I know of, you should be able to copy the programdata folder over to any other kind of setup, be it another NAS, native linux installation or docker/kubernetes.

I'm starting fresh from my backup, so my question is about the license. Apologies, as I did not made that clear in my original post. 

liesenheimer

I will also be migrating (from Synology) to Unraid.  What would be better, Docker or VM with other OS?  Will I need to pass through the GPU?  This isn't happening for a few months, just trying to prepare.  Also, how can I keep my watch progress, date added, etc., does the programdata folder hold that info?

23 hours ago, liesenheimer said:

I will also be migrating (from Synology) to Unraid.  What would be better, Docker or VM with other OS?  Will I need to pass through the GPU?  This isn't happening for a few months, just trying to prepare.  Also, how can I keep my watch progress, date added, etc., does the programdata folder hold that info?

Hi, I'd probably suggest using our Docker container, and yes you'll need to configure the container for gpu passthrough. Regarding progress I would suggest checking out our backup guide:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-backup

• Thanks 1

liesenheimer
22 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, I'd probably suggest using our Docker container, and yes you'll need to configure the container for gpu passthrough. Regarding progress I would suggest checking out our backup guide:

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001159936-backup

Thank you sir, for the advice and link.  Will do some research.

GloriousPanda
On 24/06/2022 at 03:12, alucryd said:

@GloriousPandaThanks for the feedback. Yes the docker documentation fully applies to the TrueNAS chart, and we are completely open to improvements. It's just a PR away on GitHub.

Will get in touch with the scale team as 4.8 shouldn't be used there indeed, they probably didn't see it was a prerelease.

Points a and c are fair points, we can get some inspiration from truecharts there. As for point b, IMHO permissions should not be handled automatically as there's always the chance to mess sth up. I totally understand why people would want it, but the same result (readable mounts) can be achieved by tweaking UID, GID and GIDLIST and I prefer leaving that part in the user's hand.

To be fair, a, b, and c, are all handled by truecharts outside of the docker image itself. It's just a difference in how official repository works vs how the community repository works, and it's the same for _all_ releases by all projects on TrueNAS SCALE. I don't see any of those as drawbacks of Emby's official release itself, and I'm not saying that the official Emby release is lacking in any way.

b (Automatic permissions) is optional there, but a nice to have for some people. Yes, I agree, it can really mess things up if it's deployed on a directory without knowing what you're doing. Emby's environment variables are much better than automatic permissions in this case.

wedgekc

I recently installed the Emby ScripterX plugin to send notifications.  In my triggered scripts, I would like to use the curl command, however it isn't included in the image and apt doesn't appear to be installed either.  What is the best way to install or use curl inside an Emby docker container? Thanks.

1 hour ago, wedgekc said:

I recently installed the Emby ScripterX plugin to send notifications.  In my triggered scripts, I would like to use the curl command, however it isn't included in the image and apt doesn't appear to be installed either.  What is the best way to install or use curl inside an Emby docker container? Thanks.

Hi, does this help?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/34571711/cant-run-curl-command-inside-my-docker-container

wedgekc
1 hour ago, Luke said:

No.  The solution there was to install curl using apt (that is how I would normally do it), however, apt isn't installed in the Emby docker image.  It appeared to me that the image is using Ubuntu 20.04?  Am I missing something?

alucryd

@wedgekc Our image is based on busybox to be as small as possible, and minimize the attack surface. As such it's not a distro image and doesn't come with any sort of package manager, only the most basic set of binaries.

You have 2 main options, both will require you build your own image using your own dockerfile. Either start from our image and copy the binaries you'll need (binaries will need to be built for glibc 2.27 or lower), or start from any distro image and install our corresponding linux package on it (not unlike what linuxserver is doing, except they're extracting our rpm on a deb distro for some reason).

wedgekc
12 minutes ago, alucryd said:

@wedgekc Our image is based on busybox to be as small as possible, and minimize the attack surface. As such it's not a distro image and doesn't come with any sort of package manager, only the most basic set of binaries.

You have 2 main options, both will require you build your own image using your own dockerfile. Either start from our image and copy the binaries you'll need (binaries will need to be built for glibc 2.27 or lower), or start from any distro image and install our corresponding linux package on it (not unlike what linuxserver is doing, except they're extracting our rpm on a deb distro for some reason).

Got it.  Thanks for the reply. I'll checkout linuxserver's image.  I know they have docker mods that will include extra packages, that might be the quickest/easiest way.

• 4 weeks later...
BobbyDing

Hi. I'm upgrading my unraid server hardware to include some nvme drives. Presently running the "embyserver" version of Emby. Of course the appdata folder will be on one set of 1TB nvme (raid0) drives. Transcoding is presently working on an nvidia quadro gpu. Transcode-temp is running in ram (128GB, so there's plenty of room). I direct play in house to two 2015 nvidia shields, and transcode outside the house to an ipad and an android phone. We also use Emby for live TV and recording. While unraid will occationally be juggling a few other dockers (no VMs), Emby will be used mostly.

My question is besides installing the libraries to nvme ( have two more 2TB nvme drives available), what else might I use the available nvme drives for with Emby to speed thing up?

Thanks,

Bobby

20 hours ago, BobbyDing said:

Hi. I'm upgrading my unraid server hardware to include some nvme drives. Presently running the "embyserver" version of Emby. Of course the appdata folder will be on one set of 1TB nvme (raid0) drives. Transcoding is presently working on an nvidia quadro gpu. Transcode-temp is running in ram (128GB, so there's plenty of room). I direct play in house to two 2015 nvidia shields, and transcode outside the house to an ipad and an android phone. We also use Emby for live TV and recording. While unraid will occationally be juggling a few other dockers (no VMs), Emby will be used mostly.

My question is besides installing the libraries to nvme ( have two more 2TB nvme drives available), what else might I use the available nvme drives for with Emby to speed thing up?

Thanks,

Bobby

HI, if you've already configured the app data to be there then it sounds like you're good !

• 3 weeks later...
thunderclap

I'm currently using the Linuxserver docker for Emby in Unraid but for some reason Quicksync doesn't work with 4K files, only 1080p and below. Someone recommended I try the official Emby container and am curious, if it fixes the problem and want to migrate from Linuxserver to official container, what folders need to be moved so I don't have to rescan/catalog everything? Cache, plugins, config... anything else? Thanks.

thunderclap
9 hours ago, alucryd said:

@mbuhmann As long as you mount your programdata folder to /config you shouldn't lose anything. Make sure to set UID, GID and GIDLIST accordingly, see our documentation: https://hub.docker.com/r/emby/embyserver/

Linuxserver's versions has PUID as 99, PGID as 100 and UMASK as 022 which differs from yours. I stopped their container, installed your version and moved most of the files over without changing your UID or GUID and there doesn't seem to be any issues. Do you think there will be any problems if I just leave them as your default?

As an aside, your container passes through 4k stuff fine to the iGPU so... win. :)

Edited by mbuhmann

alucryd
2 minutes ago, mbuhmann said:

Linuxserver's versions has PUID as 99, PGID as 100 and UMASK as 022 which differs from yours. I stopped their container, installed your version and moved most of the files over without changing your UID or GUID and there doesn't seem to be any issues. Do you think there will be any problems if I just leave them as your default?

As an aside, your container passes through 4k stuff fine to the iGPU so... win. :)

Well, if UID/GID don't match it's not an issue per se because we chown the programdata at startup, rather they're used to tweak the permissions to match your media files, but it sounds like it's not an issue since you can play them. As for GIDLIST, it's for adding groups like the video group to make sure emby can access your video card, but it looks like you're fine with the default there as well :)

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone help? I am fairly new to docker but not new to Emby I am migrating servers so thought I would use the Docker install this time.

What comes next? I pulled the image then used Docker run and this is where I am at. Am I being stupid? I previously tried docker-compose but that was full of errors so I deleted containers and images and started again. I am on ubuntu 22.04.01 LTS

828761169_embydocker.png.071c20a194398aa43da5719105696b67.png

hjason7812
4 hours ago, Jinx13 said:

Can someone help? I am fairly new to docker but not new to Emby I am migrating servers so thought I would use the Docker install this time.

What comes next? I pulled the image then used Docker run and this is where I am at. Am I being stupid? I previously tried docker-compose but that was full of errors so I deleted containers and images and started again. I am on ubuntu 22.04.01 LTS

828761169_embydocker.png.071c20a194398aa43da5719105696b67.png

According to truenas we can't migrate from core to scale right now. There's to many things that don't migrate over and plugins and jails are two of those things that dont migrate well. If you go onto truenas website they do have an article about this they also have a lost in that article that states what doesn't work and why. And this is for docker migration because core isn't dockers and scale is. I'm fixing to migrate from core to scale soon when I get a few things to upgrade my server with to make it more bullet proof and we'll handle anything thrown at it. Good luck

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, lawrencecurtis said:

@Luke thank you so much for all your efforts. Could you please update the docker container for the new release :)

Hi, yes it is coming. Apologies for the delay.