Docker

Luke

coldhammer

Quick question. My version of MB is a couple versions old. What is the process for updating to the newest version. Do i need to remove the current docker and then manually  install the newest one? Or do i somehow overwrite the current installed docker with the newest one.

I originally installed the docker using gfjardim template but it doesnt seem to be pulling the lastest version.

grimy55

As stated by HurricaneHernadez above, I would discourage from updating right now. Several people are having some troubles with the last update. Just wait for hurricane to post about a new working build, he is intensively working on this daily (https://registry.hub.docker.com/u/mediabrowser/mbserver/builds_history/98669/).

Also, If you have a working container, even old, I advise to export it as a working backup for the future. I did not do that and my MBS is currently down, waiting for an update.

BTW, if anyone could provide a download link to an exported working MBS container, that would be greatly appreciated!

grimy55

You will need to remove your current container and image and rebuild/rerun. e.g.:

docker rm -f mbserver #or whatever your container name is
docker rmi -f mediabrowser/mbserver #or whatever your image name is
docker run -d --net=host -v /*your_config_location*:/config -v /*your_media_location*:/media -e TZ=<TIMEZONE> --name=mbserver mediabrowser/mbserver

Alternatively, you might want to rename your container/image instead of removing them so that you have a backup in case the update does not work properly.

Edited by grimy55

coldhammer

are the commands above supposed to be entered into the docker webgui somewhere or are those supposed to run from terminal?

hurricanehrndz

From the terminal. I don't know for the docker gui.

Are you on unraid? If so it has been updated.

Stable docker is up to date with the new beta.  Happy embing everyone.

hurricanehrndz

Would it be feasable to call a firstrun.sh from start.sh using something like:

if [ -e /firstrun.sh ]
then
  /firstrun.sh
  rm -f /firstrun.sh
fi

firstrun.sh could then look like

#!/bin/sh

usermod -u ${USER_ID:-99} mediabrowser
groupmod -g ${GROUP_ID:-100} mediabrowser
usermod -g ${GROUP_ID:-100} mediabrowser

envtpl /etc/circus.d/MediaBrowser.ini.tpl --allow-missing

This would open up using USER_ID and GROUP_ID as configurable parameters to allow the docker container to be configured to match the host systems file permissions.

If no GROUP_ID or USER_ID is specified it will give a small

usermod: no changes

error message on first boot due to trying to reuse the groups set by run. but beyond that the file firstrun.sh is removed and behavior will mimic the old behavior when no GROUP_ID or USER_ID set other than not trying to recreate MediaBrowser.ini every start (so no error message about that)

but if GROUP_ID and USER_ID are passed using -e with docker run then it will set the mediabrowser user and/or group to whatever is specified and then have circusd launch mediabrowser using that user and group.

Your request has been taken care of. Please see the new instructions.

grimy55

Thank you very much HurricanHernandez for this update.

On my side, I still have the issue reported in that post (here). After the server starts up, I may play successfuly a video once but then nothing won't play for any video file, i.e. stuck with a black screen and the video duration is undetermined "--:--". I can still navigate in the library though. Interestingly, this does not apply to audio files that can still be played good. There is no apparent error message in Emby's logs.

I know Popartica has reported a similar issue with the previous docker container (here).

Do you have any idea on what's going on?

I'm also curious to know if other users have this issue or not.

Edited by grimy55

hurricanehrndz

Thank you very much HurricanHernandez for this update.

On my side, I still have the issue reported in that post (here). After the server starts up, I may play successfuly a video once but then nothing won't play for any video file, i.e. stuck with a black screen and the video duration is undetermined "--:--". I can still navigate in the library though. Interestingly, this does not apply to audio files that can still be played good. There is no apparent error message in Emby's logs.

I know Popartica has reported a similar issue with the previous docker container (here).

Do you have any idea on what's going on?

I'm also curious to know if other users have this issue or not.

I have ran the docker container time and time again, and have never seen the error with the tpl file. What's your host's os?

Edited by hurricanehernandez

grimy55

It is actually a virtual machine. Here is the output from lscpu:

~$ lscpu
Architecture:          x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Thread(s) per core:    1
Core(s) per socket:    4
Socket(s):             1
NUMA node(s):          1
Vendor ID:             AuthenticAMD
CPU family:            16
Model:                 5
Stepping:              3
CPU MHz:               2399.998
BogoMIPS:              4799.99
Virtualization:        AMD-V
Hypervisor vendor:     KVM
Virtualization type:   full
L1d cache:             64K
L1i cache:             64K
L2 cache:              512K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3

The processor on the physical machine is an AMD Athlon II X4 610e 2400 MHz.

UPDATE: The VM is using one core of the physical CPU. I just realized that the issue with Emby could have appeared when I decided to split the CPU in 4 threads for the VM. I'm gonna try to come back to my ancient configuration (1 CPU, 1 thread) to check if that solves anything.

Edited by grimy55

hurricanehrndz

It is actually a virtual machine. Here is the output from lscpu:

~$ lscpu
Architecture:          x86_64
CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order:            Little Endian
CPU(s):                4
On-line CPU(s) list:   0-3
Thread(s) per core:    1
Core(s) per socket:    4
Socket(s):             1
NUMA node(s):          1
Vendor ID:             AuthenticAMD
CPU family:            16
Model:                 5
Stepping:              3
CPU MHz:               2399.998
BogoMIPS:              4799.99
Virtualization:        AMD-V
Hypervisor vendor:     KVM
Virtualization type:   full
L1d cache:             64K
L1i cache:             64K
L2 cache:              512K
NUMA node0 CPU(s):     0-3

The processor on the physical machine is an AMD Athlon II X4 610e 2400 MHz.

UPDATE: The VM is using one core of the physical CPU. I just realized that the issue with Emby could have appeared when I decided to split the CPU in 4 threads for the VM. I'm gonna try to come back to my ancient configuration (1 CPU, 1 thread) to check if that solves anything.

grimy55,

Any update?

grimy55

Thanks for staying in touch with that.

The 1-CPU=1-thread configuration did not solve the issue. I also tried to use the "--privileged=true" option in the docker run command, since I get a hunch from some web searching that it could make it. At a first glance, it sounds like it did the trick, but after 10-12h the playback problem came back again.

grimy55

Just for update, I gave up trying to make the container working on my Trusty VM. I installed the container on a Fedora 21 VM and everything is working flawlessly so far.

hurricanehrndz

Just for update, I gave up trying to make the container working on my Trusty VM. I installed the container on a Fedora 21 VM and everything is working flawlessly so far.

I'm glad it's working for you. I find it totally odd that Trusty didn't work. Must have been something in trusty. I run it on unRAID as you must know and it seems to work fine within unRAID as well.

• 2 weeks later...
eskay993

Hi

I'm having trouble playing videos as well. I'm testing the latest official docker on Ubuntu 14.04. I installed it using a regular pull request and made no changes.

All my movies are scanned in just fine, but nothing happens when I click play in my browser or iOS apps. The old version of the docker (from a few months ago) worked fine, but I don't have access to it anymore.

Not sure if this log below is useful, but it's the only one listed in the Emby web console. This is off the back of a fresh docker install, followed by new Library, scan then click play in Chrome. I tested other browsers as well. I enabled debug log as well.

http://pastebin.com/0my2ZyKH

I saw other thread regarding SIGSEGV error (here), which I did have before, but haven't seen it crop up again. Mono is version 3.10.0 and I tested 3.12.1 and 3.2.8 and all the same results.

Any recommendation on what i can try next?

Thanks!

hurricanehrndz

Hi

I'm having trouble playing videos as well. I'm testing the latest official docker on Ubuntu 14.04. I installed it using a regular pull request and made no changes.

All my movies are scanned in just fine, but nothing happens when I click play in my browser or iOS apps. The old version of the docker (from a few months ago) worked fine, but I don't have access to it anymore.

Not sure if this log below is useful, but it's the only one listed in the Emby web console. This is off the back of a fresh docker install, followed by new Library, scan then click play in Chrome. I tested other browsers as well. I enabled debug log as well.

I saw other thread regarding SIGSEGV error (here), which I did have before, but haven't seen it crop up again. Mono is version 3.10.0 and I tested 3.12.1 and 3.2.8 and all the same results.

Thanks!

I can confirm your issue. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on. I will post an update as soon as I know what's happening.

Hi

Thanks!

Can you enable debug logging under advanced, repeat the test and post a new log? thanks.

hurricanehrndz

@@Luke OK it seems to be an issue with the chrome and firefox interface, videos play fine from android client. If I had to guess, it seems like the play button the web interface is broken.

hurricanehrndz

@@Luke I would say the issue is similar to this one.

I don't think a request is coming in because the web interface is broken somehow.

that one's about chromecast. the workflow for CC is completely different so I wouldn't compare the two issues.

you might want to try using the browser debugger to see what's happening

hurricanehrndz

you might want to try using the browser debugger to see what's happening

Requesting url without automatic networking: http://172.16.101.102:8096/Users/2ec276a2642e54a19b612b9418a8bd3b/Items/f8afd423d13ef7aa45c2f035846dbfa1
jquery.mobile-1.4.5.js:15451 Requesting url without automatic networking: http://172.16.101.102:8096/Users/2ec276a2642e54a19b612b9418a8bd3b/Items/f8afd423d13ef7aa45c2f035846dbfa1/Intros
jquery.mobile-1.4.5.js:15451 Requesting url without automatic networking: http://172.16.101.102:8096/Items/f8afd423d13ef7aa45c2f035846dbfa1/PlaybackInfo?UserId=2ec276a2642e54a19b612b9418a8bd3b&StartTimeTicks=0
jquery.mobile-1.4.5.js:15451 Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'toLowerCase' of undefinedjquery.mobile-1.4.5.js:15451 self.createStreamInfojquery.mobile-1.4.5.js:15451 self.playVideojquery.mobile-1.4.5.js:15451 playInternalPostMediaSourceSelectionjquery.mobile-1.4.5.js:15451 (anonymous function)all.js?v=3.0.5575.31755:2 jall.js?v=3.0.5575.31755:2 k.fireWithjquery.mobile-1.4.5.js:4261 xjquery.mobile-1.4.5.js:4534 (anonymous function)