EMBY ATSC3

lklein

CharlieMurphy

This update to HDHR might be relevant to this thread?

https://www.silicondust.com/support/downloads/firmware-changelog/

• 4K models: Fix problem where first PMT may not contain all audio tracks which can result in the client choosing the wrong audio track.
  • 4K models: Fix problem where audio language was not reported when present in the manifest but not present in the DASH MP4 data which can result in the client choosing the wrong audio track.

On 1/19/2022 at 10:04 PM, softworkz said:

That's what I meant. Please try to install it normally to the internal storage

@rljnc has this helped?

• 4 weeks later...
MBSki
5 minutes ago, rljnc said:

I have yet to get audio on 3.1 channels.

I swear I had audio in the Android TV app on beta .28 or .29, but on .30 I'm not getting audio in either Android TV or the standard Android app. In some cases it just goes to a black screen and spins.

• 1 month later...
troyhough

Hi All-

ATSC 3.0 went live today in Omaha, NE. I am picking up 5 stations. All 5 work flawlessly and quickly/smooth in the HDHR app as well as the Channels DVR app (Android and Android TV). Video and Sound are great. However, not too well with Emby 😪

Installed the latest Beta server (4.7.0.35). Latest stable versions for both the Android app and Android TV app.

With the standard Android app on my phone (Pixel 6 Pro), Direct Play, it will attempt to tune the station (spinning circle) and it will flash the image for a split second then go black. No sound. No anything. If you change it to transcode, station will play after a while and have video & sound. (Both transcoded)

On Android TV (Nvidia Shield and Tivo Stream 4K), Direct Play, it takes a long time to tune the channel, 30-40 seconds, then works with sound most of the time. Other times it says "cannot tune channel". You can play back a recorded ATSC3 show and video will Direct Play while audio transcodes.

Edited by troyhough

clarkss12

The ATSC3 channels play perfectly on my Galaxy S20 Ultra.  I am waiting for a Beelink Expand M, so I can connect my Galaxy phone to my TV via my Yamaha AVR.  That will tell me if my TV and AVR works with the Dolby AC-4 audio codec.

troyhough
10 hours ago, troyhough said:

Delete

Edited by troyhough

troyhough
On 4/21/2022 at 12:16 PM, cayars said:

You guys are so lucky!

Not exactly. None of the ATSC3 channels work on my Android phone (Pixel 6 Pro) (3.2.44). They sometimes work on Emby Android TV, most of the time they do not. When they do it takes a LONG time to tune, like 30 seconds or longer.

They all work on the HDHR app as well as Channels DVR app for Android and Android TV. Takes about 4-5 seconds to tune and always work.

Edited by troyhough

clarkss12
5 minutes ago, troyhough said:

Not exactly. None of the ATSC3 channels work on my Android phone (Pixel 6 Pro) (3.2.44). They sometimes work on Emby Android TV, most of the time they do not. When they do it takes a LONG time to tune, like 30 seconds or longer.

They all work on the HDHR app as well as Channels DVR app for Android and Android TV. Takes about 5 seconds to tune.

Takes about 15 seconds to start playing on my Galaxy S20 Ultra.  

troyhough
On 4/21/2022 at 1:04 PM, clarkss12 said:

Takes about 15 seconds to start playing on my Galaxy S20 Ultra.  

Channels DVR tunes them on my phone (as well as Android TV) in about 4-5 seconds. Video and sound is perfect.

On my phone, Emby hangs for a long time then the channel image flashes for a split second, then goes to black and nothing happens. No sound or video. If I enable external video player (VLC) it plays the video but no sound (to be expected since it's AC4).

Phone is Pixel 6 Pro.

Emby Android TV is a cluster too. Doesn't work sometimes "Unable to tune channel". When it does work it takes forever to tune, 30-40 seconds.

Edited by troyhough

When watching ATSC 3.0 on my Nvidia shield I have audio. That's because the server will transcode the AC4 audio to AC3 automatically because the Shield does not support AC4 audio directly. When watching ATSC 3.0 on my Apple TV there is no audio. The server direct plays the AC4 audio to my Apple TV for some reason, even when the Apple TV does not support AC4 audio.

Could there be a feature added to always make the server transcode the AC4 audio to AC3?

I would think that would be a great marketing move for Emby, since the only way currently the HD Homerun can decode AC4 audio is by over the cloud.

troyhough
18 minutes ago, gbees said:

When watching ATSC 3.0 on my Nvidia shield I have audio. That's because the server will transcode the AC4 audio to AC3 automatically because the Shield does not support AC4 audio directly. When watching ATSC 3.0 on my Apple TV there is no audio. The server direct plays the AC4 audio to my Apple TV for some reason, even when the Apple TV does not support AC4 audio.

Could there be a feature added to always make the server transcode the AC4 audio to AC3?

I would think that would be a great marketing move for Emby, since the only way currently the HD Homerun can decode AC4 audio is by over the cloud.

How long does it take to tune the ATSC3 channels after you select one? Double check your tuner status to make sure it's not falling back to an ATSC1.

9 hours ago, gbees said:

because the Shield does not support AC4 audio directly

It actually should if you are connected directly to a sound system that does.

14 hours ago, ebr said:

It actually should if you are connected directly to a sound system that does.

Hi ebr,

I think you are missing my point.

When I am watching ATSC 3.0 with a shield or my Roku I have sound because the Emby server can decode and then transcodes the AC4 audio to AC3.

When I try to watch ATSC 3.0 on my Apple TV there is no sound because the Emby server direct streams ac4 audio to my Apple TV. The Apple TV or the Emby client app cannot play AC4 directly.

Is there a way to make the Emby server transcode the AC4 audio to AC3 when using my Apple TV?

Like a selection on the server "Always transcode AC4 to AC3".

This feature would be very useful in the time being until AC4 is widely adopted.  

8 hours ago, gbees said:

I think you are missing my point.

Hi.  I understood your main point.  I was just correcting your statement that the Shield would always have to transcode AC4.  With the right setup, it can direct play it.

Your other issue needs to be reported in the Apple TV forum.

On 4/23/2022 at 7:27 AM, ebr said:

Your other issue needs to be reported in the Apple TV forum.

I reported it to the Apple TV forum, thanks for your feedback.

• Like 1