embyforkodi (next-gen) 6.X.X support

quickmic

quickmic

Status Update:

Currently I have no more issues on my list. (Music compilations support will not be added in next betas as long as a stable version is not released).

One improvement is still on my list and pending.

Autodetect bandwidth

Several reported (internet stream) issues are actually related to bandwidth limitations and can be easily fixed by manually adjusting the network speed. However, this is not user friendly and very hard to detect. Kodi sometimes just crashes in that case, no proper error msgs. Impossible to know what's going on without sophisticated debugging the kodi.log

If any other issues still exists, let me know, but no more feature requests are accepted (feature freeze) till stable version is released.

Edited by quickmic
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BaukeZwart

Updated both my Shield's (2017 and 2019 Pro) to SHIELD Experience 9 yesterday. 

No issues so far. I was a bit concerned seeing earlier messages. 

Both are now running 6.2.6 beta. 

Edited by BaukeZwart
  • Like 1

quickmic
2 minutes ago, BaukeZwart said:

Updated both my Shield's (2017 and 2019 Pro) to SHIELD Experience 9 yesterday. 

No issues so far. I was a bit concerned seeing earlier messages. 

Both are now running 6.2.6 beta. 

Keep an eye on realtime progress updates. That's the only (changed) function which I haven't very well tested. I don't expect any issues but who knows. Could be edge cases, I just run my boxes for a couple of days with 6.2.6.

docflo7
5 hours ago, quickmic said:

fix audioplayer focus

I can confirm this is alright now, thanks 👌

The syncing issue is still there though. It seems to be related to "Various Artists" album, or albums with differences between album artist and song artist. 
(I noticed some "WARNING: EMBY.core.music: Possible Artist/Albumartist inconsistency" in the logs, but I have no idea if that's an unexpected behavior)

• Like 1

cybergrimes

I was trying the 6x beta today and noticed whenever I remove some categories/nodes (Settings->Interface->Skin->Configure skin->Main menu items->Edit categories) they will reappear as soon as I make any setting change in the skin. Just doing a skin color change will reset all the categories back to default. This doesn't happen in the stable version.

Thanks.

Edited by cybergrimes

SwanStream

Somewhere along the way the path in info got replaced with some internal gibberish. Would be much more helpful if it showed the actual path rather than the 127.x x.... especially if something has been mis scraped by emby. I'd be able to correct it right there if I had a clue. Thanks fornthe support!

LichenKing
On 12/10/2021 at 8:35 PM, LichenKing said:
  • Version: Kodi 19.3
  • Platform: Android Nvidia Shield 2019
  • Addon Build: Emby Next Gen 6.2.0-build 190
  • Playback Mode: Addon

Found where it happens.

I change how my movies playback once the blu-ray is loaded to Show Simplified Menu rather than Playback Main Movie.
This is because Kodi is sometimes bad about picking the correct playlist title. If the title lengths are the same Kodi sometimes like to pick director commentary from the Bluray playlist.

Settings --> Player --> Disc --> Blu-ray playback mode: Show Simplified Menu (instead of Play Main Movie)

I tested with Playback Main Movie and although sometimes slow it does load correctly.

Something has change that is crashing Kodi. I can repeat this constantly.
While I would put blame on Kodi since it is the Kodi's interface, if I navigate through the File Manager with the mapped SMB path and play the ISO directly I get the correct pop-up.

Something has broken between the handoff of of Emby addon and the Bluray playback which is crashing Kodi.

This is still broken in the 6.2.6 beta.

Show Simplified Menu as the selected option for Disc playback will completely crash Kodi after Multi-select source.

• Like 1

quickmic
3 hours ago, SwanStream said:

Somewhere along the way the path in info got replaced with some internal gibberish. Would be much more helpful if it showed the actual path rather than the 127.x x.... especially if something has been mis scraped by emby. I'd be able to correct it right there if I had a clue. Thanks fornthe support!

Welcome

The path info is not just a label it's the actual path in addon mode pointing to the internal webserver (webserver redirects to Emby server and attached several features not available in stock Kodi.) Therefore not possible to change.

btw, I forgot to add additional info for multiselection. I see what I can do...

quickmic
25 minutes ago, LichenKing said:

This is still broken in the 6.2.6 beta.

Show Simplified Menu as the selected option for Disc playback will completely crash Kodi after Multi-select source.

I'll check that.

quickmic
7 hours ago, docflo7 said:

I can confirm this is alright now, thanks 👌

The syncing issue is still there though. It seems to be related to "Various Artists" album, or albums with differences between album artist and song artist. 
(I noticed some "WARNING: EMBY.core.music: Possible Artist/Albumartist inconsistency" in the logs, but I have no idea if that's an unexpected behavior)

Yep, the "Various Artists" are actually what I mean with compilation support. I already started an implementation but will not be added before stable version is released. Lots of code rewrite pending and even more testing is required.

The warning message is just a hint. Actually, I never used  "Various Artists" as an Albumartist in my setup, therefore this most likely a mislabeling on Emby server (for my content only). Will also be changed when I add (full) support for compilations.

• Like 1

quickmic
6 hours ago, cybergrimes said:

I was trying the 6x beta today and noticed whenever I remove some categories/nodes (Settings->Interface->Skin->Configure skin->Main menu items->Edit categories) they will reappear as soon as I make any setting change in the skin. Just doing a skin color change will reset all the categories back to default. This doesn't happen in the stable version.

Thanks.

You are deleting Emby nodes on purpose? If so, yes they will be re-created on Kodi restart but frankly not sure why you wanna remove Emby specific nodes. You will lose all the custum node filters, but if this your intention I can probably change/disable the automatic node rebuilding on Kodi start.

This will also be postponed unless stable version is released. Also lots of spots in the code to be modified.

Have you thought about using a custom skin? You have way more options building the main menu.

kyotocafe

I am having now another issue, PGSSUB subtitles are not working when files are transcoded.

As I had to set a quality setting really low, otherwise the player was stalled, I noticed that the PGSSUB subtitles were not being displayed, SRT work fine.

I found this message on the logs, TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit 

If I set the quality higher the PGSSUB subs are displayed, but when it is low, it transcodes and they are not displayed.

cybergrimes
6 hours ago, quickmic said:

You are deleting Emby nodes on purpose?

Yes nobody in my household uses the categories Years, Actors, Country, etc. I trim it down to Recently added, Genres, Titles and Sets. I would probably turn off category widgets entirely if it was a choice between showing them all or being able to remove a few. 

• Like 1

quickmic
3 hours ago, kyotocafe said:

I am having now another issue, PGSSUB subtitles are not working when files are transcoded.

As I had to set a quality setting really low, otherwise the player was stalled, I noticed that the PGSSUB subtitles were not being displayed, SRT work fine.

I found this message on the logs, TranscodeReasons=ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit 

If I set the quality higher the PGSSUB subs are displayed, but when it is low, it transcodes and they are not displayed.

Well, srt's are just text files and copied/cached to Kodi on transcoding. The "ContainerBitrateExceedsLimit" is normal, this is actually a message/report to Emby server why transcoding was initiated. -> content bitrate higher than maximum network speed/bandwidth available.

I assume Emby server limits PGSSUB on low bandwidth? Not sure, I assume PGSSUBs are embedded into video feed or a separate feed? Anyway, it would totally make sense to remove a subtitle stream to save bandwidth for the actual video feed.

Edited by quickmic

quickmic
58 minutes ago, cybergrimes said:

Yes nobody in my household uses the categories Years, Actors, Country, etc. I trim it down to Recently added, Genres, Titles and Sets. I would probably turn off category widgets entirely if it was a choice between showing them all or being able to remove a few. 

I put it on my todo list (after stable version is released).

• Thanks 1

On 1/12/2022 at 4:14 PM, kyotocafe said:

Hi, whenever I try to play any content it just stops playing after 5 or 6 seconds, it is like it is frozen, if I try to stop it, kodi just hungs and I have to kill the process.

I am attaching the log. 

Thanks

kodi.log 70.87 kB · 3 downloads

6.2.5 here (will update to 6.2.6 now) and I started getting the same issue like you when stopping (playback actually goes fine), I'm using Native Path (so, no Addon Mode)

"if I try to stop it, kodi just hungs and I have to kill the process"   <--- this part here, same thing for me.

I didn't write anything here because I didn't think it could be related to Emby next gen but rather KODI itself perhaps (specially now that my Nvidia Shield just updated to Android 11)

But it seems there may be a connection? (log attached @quickmic)

kodi.log

Edited by djhifi
  • Like 1

quickmic
6 minutes ago, djhifi said:

6.2.5 here (will update to 6.2.6 now) and I started getting the same issue like you when stopping (playback actually goes fine), I'm using Native Path (so, no Addon Mode)

"if I try to stop it, kodi just hungs and I have to kill the process"   <--- this part here, same thing for me.

I didn't write anything here because I didn't think it could be related to Emby next gen but rather KODI itself perhaps (specially now that my Nvidia Shield just updated to Android 11)

But it seems there may be a connection? (log attached @quickmic)

kodi.log 69.34 kB · 0 downloads

Well, 6.2.6 should not crash, but it also doesn't cover the actual issue. I also added some debug infos. btw. can you easily retrigger the issue? If yes, enable debug mode and send me a log.

If there is no pattern, it's quite hard to find. As mentioned, I have a rough idea what's the problem. The fix in 6.2.6 should work and not just skip the issue with a long term effect that database going out of sync. If my assumption is correct, for some reason you setup tries to delete the same file twice. So the fix just skips one of the delete queries and database is still consistent.

PeteGul

Hi

After update of Shield, I started to fall out of Kodi when looking at my playlists.

As it just happends when doing this, I think it could be Emby that may be the problem. But I don't know at all 🙂

Edit: I looks like it just when I browse for movies, not series.

I don't even have the time to press play for a movie a little down the list. 

My log from Kodi are here LOG

Petter

Edited by pettergulbra

PeteGul

Edit 2 (can't edit the first post) 

Tried to start some series, Kodi just asked to remove, becouse the file does not exists. It does, but maybe Emby can't work together with the new Android on shield, will say I use direct parh also. 

SwanStream
19 hours ago, quickmic said:

Welcome

The path info is not just a label it's the actual path in addon mode pointing to the internal webserver (webserver redirects to Emby server and attached several features not available in stock Kodi.) Therefore not possible to change.

btw, I forgot to add additional info for multiselection. I see what I can do...

Ah, but I've always selected native mode.... No idea hownthat changed, but really just need to know do I need to kill the db and start over with library sync to fix? As I recall its only selectable when adding the library...

quickmic
6 hours ago, SwanStream said:

Ah, but I've always selected native mode.... No idea hownthat changed, but really just need to know do I need to kill the db and start over with library sync to fix? As I recall its only selectable when adding the library...

Yes. kill the database (and the plugin settings). The pathes are synced to Kodi DB, therefore not possible to change them without a rebuild.

PeteGul
8 hours ago, SwanStream said:

2 hours ago, quickmic said:

Yes. kill the database (and the plugin settings). The pathes are synced to Kodi DB, therefore not possible to change them without a rebuild.

Hi

Does this has something to do with my problem to? 

If I understand correctly, after the update Emby can't use direct path and has to change to the other mode? 

SwanStream
8 hours ago, quickmic said:

Cheers. Now for the linked question regarding multi-episode display... now that I'm back to direct path, will this change the behavior I saw with split episodes? i.e. when split on the emby side the "others" just disappeared in Kodi or will it now give me the popup as before I split the episodes? 

BaukeZwart
On 13/01/2022 at 19:32, quickmic said:

Keep an eye on realtime progress updates. That's the only (changed) function which I haven't very well tested. I don't expect any issues but who knows. Could be edge cases, I just run my boxes for a couple of days with 6.2.6.

I closely monitored real-time progress updates, no issues there.
I have had one issue that Kodi couldn't play any file, I guess E4K lost connection with the server.
A simple Shield reboot fixed it, didn't happen again after that. For now I see that as an isolated incident .
If it happens again I will post the log.

• Thanks 1