embyforkodi (next-gen) 6.X.X support

quickmic

quickmic
6 hours ago, SwanStream said:

Asked and answered. O.K.

Nother question - I have shows that have multiple versions of the same episode. In emby I can either leave it listed as one with a drop down to select which version I want to see, or I can tell emby to split the files to separate items. Emby then lists them separately, but with the same episode #, using other naming info from fe name to differentiate. I'd like that to carry over to kodi if possible. There is a pop-up asking which file, but its hard to identify at times. Would be easier if the split carried over. Is that possible?

If you're not familiar, you can name any old file with the same episode # drop it in the appropriate directory, and as long as the file name includes some other info at end that will be used to uniquely identify it. Then u can use an emby app to drill down and you should see it her a pull down or lower down an optIon to split the files. I.e. ABC - S01E01 - live.mkv and ABC - S01E01 - studio.mkv would do the trick....

Cheers and thx for considering!

Well I know that Emby server offers a drop down for multiversion selection. Didn't know, that splitting is an option in Emby app.

Kodi doesn't support multiversions, therefore the plugin uses workarounds due to Kodi's limitation. Currently the additional versions are not synced to Kodi's database. The lookup is initiated on the fly when playback is started (current approach) and Kodi is not in aware.

It would be possible to sync both versions into Kodi's internal database. So depends how the plugin loads Kodi database but it cannot be altered on the fly. A global sync option would be possible but not reversible without a complete resync. Not sure if this is you attention, just toggling the view is not possible.

Also the context menu could be extended with multi-version selection if this helps.

If you request one of the options, this will not be included before the next stable version is released. Too many changes are required (especially if the sync method should be altered).

On 1/7/2022 at 12:27 PM, quickmic said:

No problem, use the latest beta from Emby's Kodi repo.

No need to resync.

Latest beta: No improvement, Kodi is still crashing after watching episodes.

I will try your test version too...

quickmic
7 hours ago, worthington_j said:

I noticed with 6.2.5 in List View the TV Shows have the fanart as the season folder icon instead of the poster.I downgraded back to 6.2.4 and reset my database and it displays correctly.

Yes, I changed that due to:

On 12/29/2021 at 8:39 PM, embyL0VER said:

That version uses poster.jpg as fallback for missing landscape.jpg. Fallback should be fanart.jpg in that case I think like in the other versions before. 

It is frustrating with 6.x versions. If one thing is fixed another is not working as intended. If skin specific changes to a plugin are made than it should be tested that not all others also got affected.

Both, please discuss this and let me know what you want. As mentioned, actually the skin should be responsible for fallbacks and not the plugin. However, seems your requests conflicts with each other.

Currently (for tvshows and movies):

Emby Thumb = Kodi landscape

if no Emby thumb -> Emby Backdrop0 (fanart) = Kodi landscape

if no Emby Backdrop0  -> Emby Primary (poster) = Kodi landscape

Edited by quickmic

quickmic
1 hour ago, Junias said:

Latest beta: No improvement, Kodi is still crashing after watching episodes.

I will try your test version too...

I assume it's the exact same problem, unfortunately no solution yet

embyL0VER
On 12/22/2021 at 12:19 AM, loomes said:

With the lastest v6 from beta Repo when in Kodi the Option to show a Folder for all Episodes in Series this Folder will not show a Cover (normaly it should use the Main Series Cover)
With the old Stable v5 Version this is working fine.

@quickmic Well I think all the trouble with artwork started with that post from loomes and the change you have made for the folders. I don't know.

Maybe revert the changes and leave the folder icon a folder icon.

I noticed with 6.2.5 in List View the TV Shows have the fanart as the season folder icon instead of the poster.I downgraded back to 6.2.4 and reset my database and it displays correctly.

I can not reproduce worthington_j's Problem. In the embuary skin, artwork for tv shows are like they should be.

But there is no listview for seasons, there is only a listview for all tv shows and there posters will show like they should.

Also I have posters for all seasons named like "season01-poster.jpg, season02-poster.jpg" and so on in the main folder of each tv show. In embuary each season show me the correct season poster.

Edited by embyL0VER

quickmic
13 hours ago, worthington_j said:

Which skin do you currently use?

Edited by quickmic

Guest worthington_j
43 minutes ago, embyL0VER said:

I can not reproduce worthington_j's Problem. In the embuary skin, artwork for tv shows are like they should be.

But there is no listview for seasons, there is only a listview for all tv shows and there posters will show like they should.

I'm using the Aeon Nox Silvo skin and not Embuary.  Attached is a picture of what I see.

Fanart Issue.jpg

Below is a screenshot of the way it should look and what I see in 6.2.4.

Correct.JPG

Edited by worthington_j

quickmic
5 minutes ago, worthington_j said:

I'm using the Aeon Nox Silvo skin and not Embuary.  Attached is a picture of what I see.

Fanart Issue.jpg

Below is a screenshot of the way it should look and what I see in 6.2.4.

Correct.JPG

Looks good, is this after downgrade to 6.2.4? Do you know what is shown? I mean Kodi type of the image.

Guest worthington_j
13 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Looks good, is this after downgrade to 6.2.4? Do you know what is shown? I mean Kodi type of the image.

Downgrading does not resolve the issue. It has to do with the version used during the scan of the show.  I went from 5.x to 6.2.5 which caused a DB reset when I found this issue. After downgrading to 6.2.4 and performing another DB reset the images displayed correctly. If I install 6.2.4 > Scan in my library > Upgrade to 6.2.5 the display is correct, but I'm assuming anything new I scan in will be incorrect.

embyL0VER

Ah, in the screenshots I see what worthington_j means. @quickmic is it possible that the fallback option you introduced for missing poster.jpg does the job in this case a little to "explicit" ? :D

Seems like the fallback solution doesn't find "poster.jpg" for seasons cause it doesn't search for "season**-poster.jpg" so it does a fallback to fanart.jpg or landscape.jpg.

Can it be that the fallback strictly searches for "poster.jpg" and so misses the season posters?

Edited by embyL0VER

quickmic
13 minutes ago, embyL0VER said:

Ah, in the screenshots I see what worthington_j means. @quickmic is it possible that the fallback option you introduced for missing poster.jpg does the job in this case a little to "explicit" ? :D

Seems like the fallback solution doesn't find "poster.jpg" for seasons cause it doesn't search for "season**-poster.jpg" so it does a fallback to fanart.jpg or landscape.jpg.

Can it be that the fallback strictly searches for "poster.jpg" and so misses the season posters?

The plugin doesn't "search" at all. The e.g. season artwork (or whatever) comes from emby server with tags. What Emby tags as "primary" is usually what's called "poster" in Kodi. So it's a mapping table, for season:

ArtMapping = {
                'Thumb': "thumb",
                'Primary': "poster",
                'Banner': "banner",
                'Logo': "clearlogo",
                'Art': "clearart",
                'Disc': "discart",
                'Backdrop': "fanart"
            }

Left side, tag on Emby, right side tags Kodi use.

After that basic mapping the fallbacks are initiated.

if no Emby thumb -> Emby Backdrop0 (fanart) = Kodi thumb

if no Emby Backdrop0  -> Emby Primary (poster) = Kodi thumb

As mentioned, actually the skin should do the fallbacks if e.g no thumb available/empty and not the next-gen plugin

Edited by quickmic

embyL0VER

Hm, but the mapping looks ok. With 6.2.2 all artwork syncs like it should be except for the folder icon in arctic zypher skin loomes noticed.

With 6.2.3 and the introduced changes to artwork handling, there were problems with tv shows as I remember correctly.

With 6.2.4 this was fixed but leads to problems with missing landscape.jpg in widgets which uses that type of image.

With 6.2.5 this got fixed but now the season poster artwork seems to be using fanart or landscape artwork in some viewtypes.

Seems not so easy.

If I should install some skin for testing, let me know.

Edited by embyL0VER

quickmic
2 hours ago, worthington_j said:

Downgrading does not resolve the issue. It has to do with the version used during the scan of the show.  I went from 5.x to 6.2.5 which caused a DB reset when I found this issue. After downgrading to 6.2.4 and performing another DB reset the images displayed correctly. If I install 6.2.4 > Scan in my library > Upgrade to 6.2.5 the display is correct, but I'm assuming anything new I scan in will be incorrect.

I tested with my development version, but the artwork hasn't changed compared to 6.2.5.

The screenshots you posted are exactly what I see with with Aeon Nox Silvo.

You uploaded 2 screenshots. Both looks correct.

Question:

Do you mean of of them are wrong? and if yes, explain why.

I'll check once again with 6.2.5 but I assume with no different results.

Edit:

Confirmed, exactly the same with 6.2.5

Aeon Nox Silvo default settings, and yes. I resynced the database from scratch.

Edited by quickmic

Guest worthington_j
12 minutes ago, quickmic said:

You uploaded 2 screenshots. Both looks correct.

The screenshot below displays the show when it was scanned it with 2.6.5.  As you can see I have circled the season folder that display the shows fanart vs using the season folders.

Fanart Issue2.jpg

The next screenshot is with the show scanned it with 6.2.4. You can see where I circled the season folders displaying the season poster and NOT the fanart.  This is the display I have always seen in the past and I believe to be correct.

Correct2.jpg

Edited by worthington_j

quickmic
4 minutes ago, worthington_j said:

The screenshot below displays the show when it was scanned it with 2.6.5.  As you can see I have circled the season folder that display the shows fanart vs using the season folders.

Fanart Issue2.jpg

The next screenshot is with the show scanned it with 6.2.4. You can see where I circled the season folders displaying the season poster and NOT the fanart.  This is the display I have always seen in the past and I believe to be correct.

Correct2.jpg

Ahhhhh this one, I thought the season picture on the right side is wrong. I'll check it.

quickmic

@embyL0VER and @worthington_j

Now we are circling back. Aeon Nox Silvo skin shows thumbs on the left side. Obviously worthington_j has none and fallback is used.

As mentioned priority in case of missing thumb is currently

1.thumb

2.fanart

3.poster

Obviously worthington_j wants:

1.thumb

2.poster

3.fanart

@worthington_j

Emby server is capable to load the thumbs for almost all popular TVShows. Big Bang Theory is  a good example. I have all thumbs available on my server (and synced to Kodi), so you can consider loading them. It's not a actual fix for the request, but at least it helps.

Guest worthington_j
3 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Emby server is capable to load the thumbs for almost all popular TVShows. Big Bang Theory is  a good example. I have all thumbs available on my server (and synced to Kodi), so you can consider loading them. It's not a actual fix for the request, but at least it helps.

I use -thumbs for the episodes but not for the season folders.  In the past for the Season01 folder it would always display the season01-poster.jpg, it didn't matter if I was using Emby/Jellyfin/Kodi.

quickmic

One more thought.

Kodi/artwork "standard" "defines" fallbacks (also) on aspect ratios. thumb is usually landscape, posters are portrait. So it's probably not a good idea to use a portrait image as a fallback for landscape. This "breaks" other skins.

quickmic
1 minute ago, worthington_j said:

I use -thumbs for the episodes but not for the season folders.  In the past for the Season01 folder it would always display the season01-poster.jpg, it didn't matter if I was using Emby/Jellyfin/Kodi.

Frankly, there is no perfect solution and I cannot fix every skin inconsistencies.

Please discuss this with each other and just let me know what you want. I'm out here.

embyL0VER
40 minutes ago, quickmic said:

Frankly, there is no perfect solution and I cannot fix every skin inconsistencies.

Please discuss this with each other and just let me know what you want. I'm out here.

worthington_j can you please test with emby-next-gen 6.2.2? And see if it works like it should?

If so my suggestion @quickmic would be revert back the changes made for the arctic zypher skin which were introduced with 6.2.3 and let the folder icon be a folder icon.

Cause it seems after changing this, all the other artworks seems to be affected.

EDIT: Or yeah loading season thumbs if it's possible. :D

Edited by embyL0VER

Guest worthington_j

I might get laughed at for this, but I run all my stuff through media companion and save the data in nfo files and jpg's.  Then I force emby to read the nfo and artwork saved by media companion and turn off all other scans.  The reason I do this is because I no longer have to worry about Emby/Jellyfin/Kodi/Plex scanning in the wrong information.  I use Emby most of the time, but I also have times where I'm offline and use a local kodi setup.  No matter what system I decide to use (I went from a sql shared kodi setup to Emby) all data is the same.  I'm looking at media companion to see if they save season thumbs and I do not see this listed as an option.  Does anybody know where Emby is getting the season thumbs?

quickmic
20 minutes ago, embyL0VER said:

worthington_j can you please test with emby-next-gen 6.2.2? And see if it works like it should?

If so my suggestion @quickmic would be revert back the changes made for the arctic zypher skin which were introduced with 6.2.3 and let the folder icon be a folder icon.

Cause it seems after changing this, all the other artworks seems to be affected.

6.2.2 had an artwork BUG! The fallback should always work like in 6.2.3 and then I changed it again in 6.2.5

6.2.2 ignored (in most cases) the fallbacks so it was like an non existent image. That would mean I remove all fallbacks in the code and let the skin decide.

Edited by quickmic

embyL0VER

Ah ok. Well than I think you should leave it as is and the skin developers have to choose the right image and/or one has to load season thumbs if that is possible.

quickmic
1 minute ago, embyL0VER said:

Ah ok. Well than I think you should leave it as is and the skin developers have to choose the right image and/or one has to load season thumbs if that is possible.

Would be also my preference, but looks like this broke arctic zypher skin.