NAS should play/Control with mobiles

Lukkkkas
Go to solution Solved by Carlo,

Lukkkkas

Hi,

I try now for some days already to reach my (in my eyes: simple) goal and I would like to have some advice:

I have my music on a QNAP TS-453Be and would like to plug my sound system to the analog audio output jack of the NAS and then control via a desktoppc/laptop or mobile what is played on the NAS to the sound system.

After some other tools tried out I am now friend of emby. I installed it on the NAS and I can log in from various PCs and play locally music and can even play music on other PCs if I allow the user to do so ("Allow remote control of other users").

Now, this is nice and the UI is how I imagined, but it is not fullfilling my wish above to have the NAS play the music and in fact I do not want to allow every user I want to allow to play sound on my sound system to also remote control my mobile musicwise.

So I see three options:

A) I find some way to play to the QNAP Audio output jacket and I can configure users that they can do that but not remote control the other users.

B) I install Linux Station (as it can send sound to the audio output jacket) on the QNAP and open within there a browser to connect to emby and then I can remotecontrol it from everybody else. I then would like to limit other users to only be able to remote control this Linux-Station-User and not everybody else.

C) I install Linux Station and install some kind of daemon that emby can stream to. This daeomn then plays the music over the audio output jacket and I can configure users that they can do that but not remote control the other users.

I do not know if any of these options do work at all and whether it has something to do with DLNA. My understanding of DLNA is that you can provide music files to other devices, but these devices need the active player part that starts music etc.

Of course I would prefer A) as I do not need to have a linux station running only because of that setup.

Plan B) sounds hacky and I do not have the feeling that I can limit which user can be remote controlled only none or all.

Plan C) sound ok, but I have no idea at all what I need to install on my linux station ubuntu 18. Do I need some kind of DLNA receiver/player? What software do I need and how do I configure it in the emby server?

I am very confused why this whole setup is so difficult as I thought this would be something everybody wants, but it seems that most people wnat to decide on their DLNA TV what should be played and use the NAS only as a storage but not for generating analog sound.

I'd be very glad if somebody could bring some light into my situation and could just point me into the right direction. I am very capable of digging into manuals how to do something if I know what I want, but I seem not to have a good enough understandings of the standard DNLA and the QNAP NAS to know what to goole for ...

Or maybe I am totally wrong expecting to solve some wish like this with such a setup?

Thankx for your time in advance

Lukas

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution

Have you thought of using a cheap android device or roku or even just a bluetooth receiver you could pair up with a phone to control?

Emby has cast feature built into the mobile apps which could make for nice remotes.

Got an old phone not being used that does WIFI?  Maybe could even install Emby on that and cast to it as well.