New releases on homescreen

computerprep

Dibbes

@@chef

This New Release thing is great!  Thanks. 

One idea ... it may not even be possible, I wouldn't know though... instead of making 3, 4, or 5 different plugins to cater to everyone's tastes, why not create one plugin that puts selected playlists on the Home screen.  Then we can use the smart playlists plugin (or create your own playlists manually) to create custom Home screen sections (with the name of the playlist as its title)...

On second thought ... some of the suggestions wouldn't be possible with the smart playlist (like "on this day")

These plugins have way less impact on the database than the smart playlist plugin. Until there's support for a real database, this will be the case... and I wouldn't hold my breath for that...

chef

not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I cannot add anything

Yes, make sure you run refresh in internet channels. I'll try and make time today to run that task on save.

See if I can finish the Flashback channel too.

Nevermind... it just takes ages to load the list...

• Like 1

chef

@@chef

This New Release thing is great! Thanks.

One idea ... it may not even be possible, I wouldn't know though... instead of making 3, 4, or 5 different plugins to cater to everyone's tastes, why not create one plugin that puts selected playlists on the Home screen. Then we can use the smart playlists plugin (or create your own playlists manually) to create custom Home screen sections (with the name of the playlist as its title)...

On second thought ... some of the suggestions wouldn't be possible with the smart playlist (like "on this day")

I think I just figured out how to add multiple channels in a plugin.

I can make the configuration page with enable and disable channels.

Just have to test it out make sure it works.

• Like 1

Dibbes

I think I just figured out how to add multiple channels in a plugin.

I can make the configuration page with enable and disable channels.

Just have to test it out make sure it works.

Have you found a way to get rid of the multiple database entries? For example I now have 3 entries for the movie 1917, one normal, one for the New releases and one for the Featured plugin (I renamed as I liked Featured better than Top Picks, sorry!)

Dibbes

not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I cannot add anything

Yes, make sure you run refresh in internet channels. I'll try and make time today to run that task on save.

See if I can finish the Flashback channel too.

Nevermind... it just takes ages to load the list...

The issue is not the Internet Channels task. It had been run. It just when I open the plugin, it takes almost a minute for the movies list to show... it's about 8000 items, so I shouldn't be surprised... funnily enough it also gives quite a few duplicates, I'm not sure why though. I may need to clean/trim the database...

Edited by Dibbes

chef

@@Luke when creating channel items from library items, the newly created item is added back to the database with a new 'Id', and creates duplicate entries.

Is there a trick to just referencing an item in a channel plugin without creating the new entry?

Edited by chef

@@Luke when creating channel items from library items, the newly created item is added back to the database with a new 'Id', and creates duplicate entries.

Is there a trick to just referencing an item in a channel plugin without creating the new entry?

Yes it will be a new item.

Dibbes

:)

Ok, that's annoying! so you cannot use a XML or something instead of the database?

atomicmoon

I'm going to assume multiple instances of this are not an option at this point, even through some renaming hack? 
This is a great start though, and a much requested feature from my household!

Thank you so much for the time and energy that went into this!

chef

Ok, that's annoying! so you cannot use a XML or something instead of the database?

I was thinking about this, and unfortunately, once we add the item into the channel, it creates a new entry in the database.

There is another way to create top picks. We use symbolic links. I don't know if emby honors symlinks.

We could move multiple physical files around.

But I'm not sure if I trust a plugin to be responsible for copy, paste and deletion in the file system. Probably not a good idea.

Edited by chef

Dibbes

But I'm not sure if I trust a plugin to be responsible for copy, paste and deletion in the file system. Probably not a good idea.

@@chef Personally I don't think I'd use a plugin that is capable of that... for the moment it's not really an huge issue as I use the grouping plugin as well, so at least I don't get two items displayed... Not sure if this will work for serie episodes as well later on.

By the way, @@atomicmoon already created Hulu style icons for it: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/79688-hulu-style-library-icons/page-6#entry890231 Thought you´d like to know ;-)

Edited by Dibbes
  • Like 1

Dibbes

@@chef is there a way you can add the year of the movie and the resolution in the selection menu? For example, if I want to feature Robin Hood or Tarzan or something, there's a bunch of different productions, especially when there are various versions of these...

• 2 weeks later...
Thomas Straub

I'm sure I'm probably hijacking this thread, and I apologize.

I finally jumped ship from Plex to Emby, got my SSL working and this was my last missing "piece". Does anyone know where I can drop the plugin on Mac OS X? My server is a Mac Mini, so I'm not sure if the folder is within the .app package, or hidden from Finder.

Thanks for the help, and the plugin! Looks great! Any news on addition to the catalog? 

• 2 months later...
Dibbes

@chef Have you been able to look more into this? Especially the year behind a title and maybe the multiple channels to one single plugin... :-)

Edited by Dibbes

chef
On 6/19/2020 at 8:58 AM, Thomas Straub said:

I'm sure I'm probably hijacking this thread, and I apologize.

I finally jumped ship from Plex to Emby, got my SSL working and this was my last missing "piece". Does anyone know where I can drop the plugin on Mac OS X? My server is a Mac Mini, so I'm not sure if the folder is within the .app package, or hidden from Finder.

Thanks for the help, and the plugin! Looks great! Any news on addition to the catalog? 

Hi @Thomas Straub, welcome.

There are two plugin folders to be aware of inside the Emby-Server folder structure.

One is at "Emby-Server/system/plugins"

The other "Emby-Server/programdata/plugins".

You want to out the dll in the "programdata/plugins" folder and restart the server.

@Dibbes let me see what I can do with the year data. I'll get back to you.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
bakes82
On 11/9/2020 at 10:14 AM, kikinjo said:

Hey @chef , any time for updates for this plugin maybe ?

Cheers

What update you looking for?  I could issue a PR depending what you wanted

• 4 weeks later...
Dibbes
On 8/31/2020 at 2:21 PM, chef said:

@Dibbes let me see what I can do with the year data. I'll get back to you.

Does it already feel like a full time job to you? LoL

• 5 weeks later...

This sounds awesome and is exactly what I am looking for.    I'm not seeing this in the plug-in catalog.  Is this a manual install only?

• 1 month later...

I believe it is manual install..

I installed the only link the compiled DLL today, last update was 11 months ago on GitHub..

Finding that Emby will not load so far with this plugin installed..

EDIT: I can get it to load by clicking on my Account picture on Emby Web and going to settings then, to Home.. When I go back to plugins and try to load the Configuration page or Settings everything freezes.. on refresh I getting the 'Emby Boot' startup page and it sits there in a not loading stage after the spinner.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...

Just Bumping this... It would be really great to have the ability to display the Latest Section On Homescreen by "Release Date" ( Currently it diplays in order of "latest added file" for each library  ) 

Obviously users could have the option to switch between both as per their preference .

@Lukeis this feature currently WIP ?

Edited by xd003

A separate feature won't be needed for this. Once we have smart views/playlists, you'll be able to build this kind of view on your own.

• Like 1

KingMovies
On 4/13/2021 at 5:09 PM, Luke said:

A separate feature won't be needed for this. Once we have smart views/playlists, you'll be able to build this kind of view on your own.

would that be server side or client side? 

Just now, KingMovies said:

would that be server side or client side? 

It would be saved server-side and then displayed in all Emby apps.