New releases on homescreen

computerprep

12 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@chefconflict will be date used as Release Date will be Months ago, take Top Gun Mavick for example Release date May 27, 2022.  So it would almost have to be some sort of hybrid dateadd/releasedate but that also creates an issue of import date vs file date or people that change dateadded to premieredate.

So how long to show in New Release can be hard to calculate.

I think others need to chime in here about "New Releases" conditions.  But a condition on how long it remains is needed.

This is interesting because I was just hit with the same issue (of sorts) for the top picks plugin.

The API has PremierDate. Is the premierDate  the day it released in theaters then?  

I'll take a look at figuring a premiere date/date added hybrid. See what is possible.

As for how long the items stay in the channel line up. I think Ive got this covered.

In Top Picks there are nine items. By limiting the items they become dynamic.

For example, when a new top pick is calculated it fits itself into the order, and bumps the items down, and the last item is removed.

If we limit the items in New Releases, where the newest release is placed at the top of the list, then we can do the same thing, bump the rest of the items down until the last item is removed.

We just have to figure out how many new releases we want to feature... If that is the way we want to handle the item list. 

Edited by chef

KobayashiM

Wow, Latest Releases on home screen still isn't a thing in v4.7.6? I don't understand what the resistance is to such a basic and useful sort.

@chef Your plugin sounds more like a spotlight feature than a latest/newest releases feature. But I'm looking forward to checking it out. Thanks for your efforts.

• Like 1

Bottles51

I think this should be a user controlled setting. But if you was to keep your new releases for 4 to 5 months that may cover the time for most Blu-ray releases. but this will only work if you have a library to back up the home screen widget/row. If the user has control of how long, they can find there own sweet spot. If this could be set up similar to how collections work, not creating duplicates just a link to the original file inside a new release library. That would solve the dates problem as you could keep up to 4 to 5 months. So from original release they would only be in there a month or 2.

Edited by Bottles51

Happy2Play
2 hours ago, chef said:

Is the premierDate  the day it released in theaters then?  

Yes this date is the Theater date from TMDB.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, KobayashiM said:

Wow, Latest Releases on home screen still isn't a thing in v4.7.6? I don't understand what the resistance is to such a basic and useful sort.

@chef Your plugin sounds more like a spotlight feature than a latest/newest releases feature. But I'm looking forward to checking it out. Thanks for your efforts.

Yeah, my top picks plugin (soon to be released) and a spotlight plugin are pretty interchangeable.

Top picks takes a collection from the entire library, and can auto calculate items based on user engagement.

New releases is very different...

New releases takes items that have been released this year, and then looks at premiere date closest to Now, and then looks at data added closest to Now to organize the library.

• Like 1

Actually, the secret is,  if you divide the date the item was released into today's date, you get a weight.

Then you just order the weights highest to lowest, and take the top results.

10 hours ago, Bottles51 said:

I think this should be a user controlled setting. But if you was to keep your new releases for 4 to 5 months that may cover the time for most Blu-ray releases. but this will only work if you have a library to back up the home screen widget/row. If the user has control of how long, they can find there own sweet spot. If this could be set up similar to how collections work, not creating duplicates just a link to the original file inside a new release library. That would solve the dates problem as you could keep up to 4 to 5 months. So from original release they would only be in there a month or 2.

The only place you will see a duplicate of the item is on the recommendations row in the items detail page.

Only because the way emby calculates recommendations for each item. Emby will compare them. If the same item lives in the main library, and has a new release entry version, emby will compare them and because they are the same, it will show up.

If that makes sense...

But, it will not duplicate anywhere else.

Bottles51
1 hour ago, chef said:

The only place you will see a duplicate of the item is on the recommendations row in the items detail page.

Only because the way emby calculates recommendations for each item. Emby will compare them. If the same item lives in the main library, and has a new release entry version, emby will compare them and because they are the same, it will show up.

If that makes sense...

But, it will not duplicate anywhere else.

Can this be set up similar to how the auto box set plugin was before collections was turned into a core feature. Where a library was created and a row can be put on home screen?

1 hour ago, Bottles51 said:

Can this be set up similar to how the auto box set plugin was before collections was turned into a core feature. Where a library was created and a row can be put on home screen?

Yes, that is the idea for sure.

It will be a row on the home screen with just the latest 20 or so new releases.

@Happy2Play

Yeah this seems to work just fine!

I  query  the library:  MinPremiereDate being in the last 6 months, and MinDateCreated being within 28 days ago.

new_releases_1.thumb.png.3d2fe8379a4a9a2d5877b0fe934d72ba.png

I don't think it needs to be much more complicated then that. 

Edited by chef
  • Thanks 1

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, chef said:

I  query  the library:  MinPremiereDate being in the last 6 months, and MinDateCreated being within 28 days ago.

And if the dates are the same?  ie the TimeLords plugin

6 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

And if the dates are the same?  ie the TimeLords plugin

Items would appear regardless, because it is making an equality check of the file being added to the library, any date greater then 28 days ago. 

If they are changing premiere dates to file creation dates, then those items will appear in new releases row regardless. That should be expected behaviour I would think. 🤔

Edited by chef

@ebr is there a trick to forcing Android tv to show primary images on the home screen for channels? Android always wants to show thumb images (or backdrop thumb), even with the channel image type array set only to ImageType.Primary.

@Luke I have a feature request. Pretty easy one. Please ignore Channel items in "More Like This" row recommendations on the details screen.

Edited by chef

On 9/16/2022 at 3:16 AM, chef said:

This is interesting because I was just hit with the same issue (of sorts) for the top picks plugin.

The API has PremierDate. Is the premierDate  the day it released in theaters then?  

I'll take a look at figuring a premiere date/date added hybrid. See what is possible.

As for how long the items stay in the channel line up. I think Ive got this covered.

In Top Picks there are nine items. By limiting the items they become dynamic.

For example, when a new top pick is calculated it fits itself into the order, and bumps the items down, and the last item is removed.

If we limit the items in New Releases, where the newest release is placed at the top of the list, then we can do the same thing, bump the rest of the items down until the last item is removed.

We just have to figure out how many new releases we want to feature... If that is the way we want to handle the item list. 

hey Chef, 

with regards to how many is this a choice we can implement manually on the plugin ? if not i would vote for 10 in total :)

also can we change the title name on the library ie spotlight, new releases, top picks, trending now etc.

hope family are doing better now with covid too    

do you know what it the plugin would look like with the alternative home front layout if you dont mind me asking lol  

homefront.png

1 minute ago, ONYX MEDIA said:

do you know what it the plugin would look like with the alternative home front layout if you dont mind me asking lol  

homefront.png

Do you guys want to load up a version of new releases and see?

I can post a version here to try it out.

When I release top picks I would like to make it a paid plugin, a couple bucks. But for new releases we might as well make it a freebie. 

So... Wanna try it out? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chef said:

Do you guys want to load up a version of new releases and see?

I can post a version here to try it out.

When I release top picks I would like to make it a paid plugin, a couple bucks. But for new releases we might as well make it a freebie. 

So... Wanna try it out? 

definitely up for trying chef and will also be very happy to pay once completed too :) 

Okay,

This is a New Releases Channel.

It will aggregate items in the library that have a premiere date in the last 8 months, and that have been added to the library in the last 2 months. 

Note: If you do use the TImelord plugin to alter metadata,  just know that the list in the channel will reflect those changes.

Looking forward to some feedback. 

Emby.NewReleases.zip

The only thing I can't seem to understand fully, is how this plugin displays it's list of items on ATV.  The channel items show up as thumbnail images instead of primary. @ebr

Edited by chef
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, chef said:

Okay,

It will aggregate items in the library that have a premiere date in the last 8 months, and that have been added to the library in the last 2 months. 

Note: If you do use the TImelord plugin to alter metadata,  just know that the list in the channel will reflect those changes.

Emby.NewReleases.zip 8.42 kB · 0 downloads

The only thing I can't seem to understand fully, is how this plugin displays it's list of items on ATV.  The channel items show up as thumbnail images instead if primary. @ebr

thanks chef will look forward to testing it out :)

Nostromo86
3 hours ago, chef said:

Okay,

Emby.NewReleases.zip 8.42 kB · 5 downloads

The only thing I can't seem to understand fully, is how this plugin displays it's list of items on ATV.  The channel items show up as thumbnail images instead if primary. @ebr

Hey niiice, i try it now, good job but i dont understand the difference with timelord 😕  image.thumb.png.cc2c98aacdf796a23e135aa81767e3c1.png

2022-09-19_19h13_54.png

Nostromo86
3 hours ago, chef said:

Okay,

Emby.NewReleases.zip 8.42 kB · 5 downloads

Hey niiice, i try it now, good job but i dont understand the difference with timelord 😕  

And I'm sorry if I didn't understand everything, but where is the top pick plugin? It is configured on the most watched movies by my users?
If you have to do all that why not make a popular media plugin via the TMDB API? Thank you all
image.thumb.png.cc2c98aacdf796a23e135aa81767e3c1.png

13 minutes ago, Nostromo86 said:

Hey niiice, i try it now, good job but i dont understand the difference with timelord 😕  

And I'm sorry if I didn't understand everything, but where is the top pick plugin? It is configured on the most watched movies by my users?
If you have to do all that why not make a popular media plugin via the TMDB API? Thank you all
image.thumb.png.cc2c98aacdf796a23e135aa81767e3c1.png

Top picks will be released in the catalog some point (hopefully) this week.

I just want to make sure that it works well, and there isn't any buggy surprises since it will have a a couple bucks attached.

With regards to the timelord plugin having effects on New releases... It may indirectly limit the amount of content which gets added to the channel. It also may have the reverse effect where more content is added because the metadata was altered.

In any case, I dont think it will be a big deal, but that is why I posted the plugin, so there could be some feedback and maybe we can catch it before it also gets put in the catalog. 

👍😃

4 hours ago, chef said:

Okay,

Emby.NewReleases.zip 8.42 kB · 6 downloads

To tell you the truth, it's grown on me 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Punch said:

To tell you the truth, it's grown on me 😊

Do you mean the thumb images on ATV?

So.. it's been about 5 hours since I posted that test. Seems like it must work well.

No one is reporting issues when the refresh internet channels task is run.

So that is great!

• Agree 1