New releases on homescreen

computerprep

Cheesegeezer
38 minutes ago, chef said:

I can put this in the plugin catalog anytime.

The reason that I am waiting is because there is a core feature that the devs are working on, that will help organize how the ranked items appear on the home screen.

Currently, I have no real control over where the items get placed. We can rank them, and create the custom thumb and primary images, but when they get displayed they may or may not  be inorder.

The devs are going to add this ability for one of the upcoming releases of Emby.

Then I'll put it in the catalog for everyone to use.

It will be awesome!!

Just as an aside, this will be a paid feature though. I think it's worth a couple bucks for the time it took me to write and refine it. 

😀

It’s frickin awesome, enjoying it right now!! I think we are all educated enough to read digits that state the order even though they are not displayed in order lol 😂 

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

It’s frickin awesome, enjoying it right now!! I think we are all educated enough to read digits that state the order even though they are not displayed in order lol 😂 

Ladies and gentlemen, the myth the legend cheesegeezer. 

Thanks man. 

Hopefully we can get this out soon!

• Haha 1

Cheesegeezer
1 hour ago, chef said:

The reason that I am waiting is because there is a core feature that the devs are working on, that will help organize how the ranked items appear on the home screen.

Currently, I have no real control over where the items get placed. We can rank them, and create the custom thumb and primary images, but when they get displayed they may or may not  be inorder.

The devs are going to add this ability for one of the upcoming releases of Emby.

probably planned for a future release… 

1 hour ago, chef said:

It will be awesome!!

it already is!!

1 hour ago, chef said:

Just as an aside, this will be a paid feature though. I think it's worth a couple bucks for the time it took me to write and refine it. 

😀

Finally… you should be rewarded for all the amazing free plugins you have already provided the emby community. 100% behind you on this bro 👍👍

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Cheesegeezer
4 minutes ago, chef said:

You think I should release it even with the items out of order?  @Cheesegeezer

I do but make it paid. That’s paramount 

At least you will get real time feedback to improve on if necessary 😉

• Agree 2

Racerprose
4 hours ago, chef said:

It will be awesome!!

😀

I see. Thanks for the clarification. I've recently switched from Plex to Emby and do not miss anything from Plex, aside from the ability to show on the homescreen a recently released section that displays recent movies by current year, so when I saw your plugin for that I was happy, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get it installed, especially since I am running Emby from my Synology NAS.

Edited by Racerprose

52 minutes ago, Racerprose said:

I see. Thanks for the clarification. I've recently switched from Plex to Emby and do not miss anything from Plex, aside from the ability to show on the homescreen a recently released section that displays recent movies by current year, so when I saw your plugin for that I was happy, but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to get it installed, especially since I am running Emby from my Synology NAS.

Sorry, yeah, it is t released yet. Stay tuned.

I'll check in with the core guys and see if they have had a chance to implement anything that will get this complete.

Also, It's great to hear that emby has been a good alternative for you! 

Junglejim

7 hours ago, chef said:

Sorry, yeah, it is t released yet. Stay tuned.

This looks great! I'll defo pay for this. :) Good luck getting this up and running. 👍

I'm already in gimp making my home thumb in anticipation. 😉

Edit: ..

1424743522_TOPPICKS.thumb.png.4b490b30f84053c8be027b259502aaaf.png

Edited by Junglejim
  • Like 1

FrostByte
16 hours ago, chef said:

😀

Already made a small donation a while back for your efforts but think it's definitely worth paying again for the final product once it's available.  Thanks

• Thanks 1

Okay, there is one other thing I think that needs to be added.

This thread is called new releases. So maybe we should have a toggle that adds items that have been released in the current month to the top picks automatically.

That way if you don't get around to creating a top picks list, and you haven't enabled the auto picks, then new releases will add themselves.

That sound cool?

Edited by chef
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, kikinjo said:

New releases and top pick (something that admin of emby server choose) are 2 completely different things.

You can choose the top picks as an admin, or you can toggle on the auto picks that will calculate a top pick list based on watched status and favorite items from the user base.

The reason I've added the ability to add your own items is because some servers only have one or two users. This way you can show at the top of your home screen your top picks for the user base. 

The option is there to use it if you want it.

• Like 3

Bottles51

Maybe a way to filter out dates or even genres for when you have a child or someone who loves a movie so much they watch it every day or two. For example only show most watched for decade or for current year. i can see mine being overrun with animated films because of children.

Edited by Bottles51

28 minutes ago, Bottles51 said:

Maybe a way to filter out dates or even genres for when you have a child or someone who loves a movie so much they watch it every day or two. For example only show most watched for decade or for current year. i can see mine being overrun with animated films because of children.

This should be taken into consideration when calculating the top items.

Luckily, you do have the option to add or remove items from the list.

I'll take a look at it and see what we can do about it.

On the flip side, I am now realizing that for accounts that can't see higher rates items, I might have to also handle that.

For instance if the top three picks are rated PG-13 then the account with the parental control will only see pick four through nine.

I think I know how to handle this. But It is now on my radar.

• Like 3

Sorry wanna get this out, but the family has got the covid..  again... Geesh.

When the migraine headache goes away I'll finish this.

To handle our rating problem I've decided to add a toggle which will ignore user accounts that have parental controls on them. 

As for accounts where children have altered the watch data because they replay the same children's movie 10 times in a row... Still working on it. 

We want to keep the setup and simple as possible, so I dont think an ignore list is the way to go...

But, it might come down to that. 

Edited by chef
  • Thanks 1

Bottles51

Is there possibly a way to ignore when the same user keeps watching say multiple times the same day or week? That would resolve a lot if watching only counts 1 time. Not sure how hard that would be i know nothing about coding. Hope you all feel better soon.

Edited by Bottles51

@chefwe've determined that the plug-in being discussed now is not related to new releases, right?  So, really, this discussion should not be taking place in this FR...

• Agree 1

Can we discuss how to describe a  "New Release"?

For example:

- was released (premiered) this week (in the last 7 days)

- was released (premiered) this month (in the last 30 days)

Is it a option to choose either of those?

How long does the item remain a new release?

Edited by chef

Nostromo86

@chef Hi, For me the best would be to have on the homescreen via imdb, the list of popular media of the moment, the 100 best movies etc lol :)

Edited by Nostromo86
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nostromo86 said:

@chef Hi, For me the best would be to have on the homescreen via imdb, the list of popular media of the moment, the 100 best movies etc lol :)

Interesting.

That sounds little more like the Top Picks plugin (soon to be released in the catalog). 😃

But, it is an interesting idea to reference a provider for their list of "new releases".

Then maybe compare what items you have in your library to what is in the provider list had, and display them.

But, I think it might be even easier to look at the metadata emby has collected for library items to decide what is a "new release".

Happy2Play
5 hours ago, chef said:

Can we discuss how to describe a  "New Release"?

For example:

- was released (premiered) this week (in the last 7 days)

- was released (premiered) this month (in the last 30 days)

Is it a option to choose either of those?

How long does the item remain a new release?

Yes as I believe everyone will have a different answer.  At what point does a New Release become just a Latest added Movie?

But it would probably be best if it was configurable manually or 7/14/30/.....

12 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes as I believe everyone will have a different answer.  At what point does a New Release become just a Latest added Movie?

But it would probably be best if it was configurable manually or 7/14/30/.....

I agree.

To me new release would definitely have to have been released to the public within. A certain time frame. 

If I make that time frame customizable then a channel library can populate itself with items that have premiered date within that DateTime to Now.

For example:

Thor Love and Thunder had a premiere date last week.

If that item exists in the library, then that item should become part of the New Releases channel.

If that is correct then I have a New Releases channel plugin ready to go!

Give me a couple minutes and we should try it out. 

• Like 1

Happy2Play

@chefconflict will be date used as Release Date will be Months ago, take Top Gun Mavick for example Release date May 27, 2022.  So it would almost have to be some sort of hybrid dateadd/releasedate but that also creates an issue of import date vs file date or people that change dateadded to premieredate.

So how long to show in New Release can be hard to calculate.

I think others need to chime in here about "New Releases" conditions.  But a condition on how long it remains is needed.