Show off your rig..

saajan4u

Guest asrequested

What was the price point? Newegg currently has the HGST 4TB Megascale drives which are Enterprise drives for 113.99.

That's less than I'm paying, but Newegg has screwed me over with their deliveries, and I really don't want to order from them, again. I took the Amazon path. Returning product with them is so easy. But now you've got me questioning my choice of drives.

That's less than I'm paying, but Newegg has screwed me over with their deliveries, and I really don't want to order from them, again. I took the Amazon path. Returning product with them is so easy. But now you've got me questioning my choice of drives.

Definitly go with what you're more comfortable with. If you prefer Amazon's return policy, then you stick with it. Convenience > Price. 

PenkethBoy

Megascale are nas drives so they would be a good choice - if they others are 7200 Nas then the raid will be limited by the speed of the Megascale's assuming you had one array

If you are thinking of using Storage Spaces (shudder) then you cant do raid 10 anyway or raid 6 - you only have mirror options - with ReFS - or a variation on raid5 (with more than 6 drives it gives you double parity so sorta Raid6)

Out of interest - what features of Raid10 do you prefer over Raid6?

If you want to go the Raid10 route just a couple of things to remember - when you are reading data from 8 disks - simplistically in raid 6 you have data coming from 6 drives and raid10 only four so you will end up with a lower read speed value. But its irelavent if you cant use the speed as i guess you are on gigabit network.

As a good alternative with lots of benefits - have a look at Stablebit Drivepool - its not raid - but has many more advantages - especially if linked with their Scanner software. This is what i am moving to from Raid for most of my data.

Ian-Highlander

Ooh a chance to post this image on a forum again (sorry contributing nothing to the conversation really, but I used to love showing this to new trainees before really blowing their minds), it's old now and could do with an updated version, wonder if we've got enough water coolers around to replicate this (I didn't create the original)   :D

580a039ea3ffc_raidexplained.jpg

Edited by Ian-Highlander
  • Like 5

b0dyr0ck2006

Out of curiosity, why are you guys building such intense systems? Surely it is complete overkill for household use some of the setups here would be better suited to commercial grade. Surely worst case scenario it would be 5/6 streams within a household at any one time

Guest asrequested

I changed my order. I'm matching all 8 drives. HGST NAS 7200rpm. The reason I'm inclined toward RAID 10 is performance, with great redundancy. I've read on here that some people using 5 and 6 have had issues with streaming from the array while writing to it.

• Like 2

Guest asrequested

Out of curiosity, why are you guys building such intense systems? Surely it is complete overkill for household use some of the setups here would be better suited to commercial grade. Surely worst case scenario it would be 5/6 streams within a household at any one time

Honestly, because I want to lol

• Like 3

MSattler

So storage wise I continue to stick with unRaid over Raid 5/6/10.

Here are my reasons why:

1)  I still get parity with unRAID, and can even do dual parity disks now, allowing me to lose up to 2 disks in my tower.

2)  Being all parity is on 1 or 2 disks, I don't lose as much space as I do with Raid 5/6/10.  

3)  If I do lose 3 disks, I don't lose all of my data.  I continue to function, just without the movies that were on those disks I lost.

4)  I can mix various disk sizes.

Most importantly to me:

5)  With Raid 5/6/10, all disks are spinning at all times.   PowerOn times quickly go through the roof.   With unraid, only the drive my movie is on, that I'm trying to watch, is spun up.

Movies are NOT written across multiple disks.   This helps the temperatures in my server, as not all 11 disks are spinning at the same time.

Edited by MSattler

Ian-Highlander

Honestly, because I want to lol

What he said, some of us are geeks and do this stuff for a hobby :D

My system is nothing compared to some of these guys, but has two drives in RAID 1 for the system drive, I also take full bare metal backups of the system every few weeks, a 16 drive RAID 6 array with one set as a hot spare allowing for 3 failures before total destruction as well as multiple USB drives connected through USB 3 cards for additional storage and backups. Every bit of data is replicated onto at least two seperate drives, the important stuff is on a third internally as well as a fourth which is encrypted and sent to my parents every so often for safe keeping.

The main server runs Hyper-V and Emby basically and has three guest servers in Hyper-V running an active directory domain, DNS server, DHCP server, MySQL database server, Apache web server, Kerio mail server and loads of other bits and bobs. I have domain logons for my wife Amy and I and multiple different network shares for different purposes.

I host websites and email for a few good friends and for family members on top of everything else. Internally I have two networks, private and guest ones with seperate routers on each and Emby routed through both so guests can use Emby but without hitting anything else on the private network, generally there are only my wife and I in the house, is it overkill? yes absolutely, do I have fun mucking around with it all, hell yes. :)

Edited by Ian-Highlander
  • Like 3

PenkethBoy

I changed my order. I'm matching all 8 drives. HGST NAS 7200rpm. The reason I'm inclined toward RAID 10 is performance, with great redundancy. I've read on here that some people using 5 and 6 have had issues with streaming from the array while writing to it.

Good if it were me i would build a raid6 and test the speed read/write - then build raid10 and compare - or the other way around to see which is actually the fastest - happy to be prove wrong :)

What are you using for raid to get raid10?

Guest asrequested

Good if it were me i would build a raid6 and test the speed read/write - then build raid10 and compare - or the other way around to see which is actually the fastest - happy to be prove wrong :)

What are you using for raid to get raid10?

That's another question I had. Recommendations?

PenkethBoy

Again because i can  :P but also to build something that will last the next few years and some elements beyond that

soon that 5/6 will be all 4k streams and what ever the next will be 5k, 8k... at some point 1Gig ethernet will not cut it although there is some time to go yet

So as 10G is now available in consumer grade switches see http://www.wegotserved.com/2016/10/14/10-great-10g-networking-products-for-prosumers/

Although the Asus sold out like lightening when i read the thread could not find one anywhere :( but other alternatives exist :)

PenkethBoy

That's another question I had. Recommendations?

Yes therein is the rub for windows there is not much unless you go commercial and pay relatively significant mooola

Unraid/flexraid/snapraid - all have a steep learning curve - looked at all of them and walked away - having read the forums/tech/spec etc

With linux there are several options and some are built in to the os

Having had QNAP boxes for 5-6 years they are good - and automate a lot of processes - but if you need the option to have a good cpu/10g/transcoding you have to pay a fair amount more for the box than you have paid for those disks!

I will be keeping my QNAP 853A as i can link the four 1G ports (LAG - or whatever you want to call it) with my new switches but have no option for 10g. My new server as its built to my spec i have no limitations so lots of disks/dual 10G network card - but i will not be using raid (thats the current plan).

As i said before i will use Stablebit - Drivepool - for duplication - ssd cache(read/write) - read stripping - lots of other options - plus Scanner to keep an eye on my disks - and it moves the data off should it find something automatically etc

The big selling point for me is i can take any drive out of a pool and read it in virtually any other pc/mac/linux box as all the drives are NTFS - and there is no loss of space to parity (as you have duplication - not the same but practically very simialr) - also as our friend pointed out with unraid - its only the disks being accessed that spin up rather than all 8 in your case. Also any size drives are supported :)

And the cost is buttons in comparison to other options - oh and they are working on a Cloud option to work woth all the usual players - still in beta but works ok with a couple of issues which they are working on.

Give it a check out you can play with it and others for usually 21-30 days see how you go

Edited by PenkethBoy

mediacowboy

Another option like stablebit is drive bender. It does not have hard and heavy support but worth checking it out.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Emby works well with a Stablebit pool?

Yes, use it on both my servers.

PenkethBoy

Yes drive bender looks similar 

forgot to mention you can add existing drives with data as well no need to start from scratch - and/or have data outside the pool on a drive which is part of the pool

The system sees the pool drive(s) as "another" disk in the system

With large numbers of drives you dont need to mount them or give them letters - DP uses the unc path so no long path name problems

PenkethBoy

:) - try out the addon's and file dup and placement rules

have fun

and now you have 30+ TB to play with 

Guest asrequested

:) - try out the addon's and file dup and placement rules

have fun

and now you have 30+ TB to play with 

It looks great. As for 30TB+, with file copying enabled, it will eat through that, but I need to truly put it through it's paces. I should have everything in place. next weekend.

PenkethBoy
Looking for some user experience

Has anybody had any experience with the following SAS expanders i have my eye on?

Microsemi (Adaptec) - 82885T (2283400) - http://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/support/sas/sas/aec-82885t/

or the

So after good or bad experinces....

1) what raid card did you connect the expanders to

2) what throughput do you get when using multiple HDD/SSD - anything close to the bandwidth claimed?

3) If not connected to same make of RAID card - could you update the bios on the intel or not?

4) Do you have either working in WIn 10 PRO 64bit - any issues - does Windows see the expanders i believe it should

Finally a bit confused with the cable directions

do you use forward or reverse breakout cables from the expander to the HDD?

and also are there any issues with the Adaptec and cables from miniSAS (8087) to miniSAS HD (8643) - i assume these are bi directional?

Lost of questions :) - just been burnt with Highpoint controllers not working together so want to get it right this time :rolleyes: 

Thanks