Show off your rig..

saajan4u

Ian-Highlander

Company I work for was going to send these for recycling yesterday, nothing wrong with them, they've just bought newer ones. I was offered them first, needless to say I snapped them up.

Axus Yotta B 16 drive RAID unit with dual 4GB fibre connections and SAS extender, dual redundant power supply and dual fan units in each, fully loaded with 16 x 750GB disks and a slave JBOD unit for it also fully loaded with 16 x 750GB disks for roughly 10TB per unit (RAID 6) with the current drives fitted and I can of course fit larger disks at some point in the future. All cables, a couple of fibre cards and four spare disks thrown in. All for nothing, one very happy bunny :)

58130e9f76eb2_1.jpg

58130eaac21f8_2.jpg

Edited by Ian-Highlander
  • Like 3

PenkethBoy

@@Ian-Highlander - infiniband fibre ?

Nice grab - lots of potential with those babies

Did you do the lottery yesterday as well?  :D

Edited by PenkethBoy
  • Like 1

PenkethBoy

Care to share where you found them?

Well have been looking and waiting for 10G networking to become "affordable" for the last few years and i noticed a couple of weeks ago Asus brought out a consumer 10G switch see http://www.wegotserved.com/2016/10/14/10-great-10g-networking-products-for-prosumers/?utm_content=buffere54f0&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer but you cannot find the Asus switch (when i last looked) anywhere - i think it might have sold out overnight But it only has 2 10G ports so great that somebody is finally breaking the boundaries of the 10G "lets keep it expensive" club but ultimately if you have more than two devices you need to buy more than one and then it becomes less attractive.

So i looked at the next option - the Netgear - still a bit pricey - but in looking for that i found  - drum roll please - this

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/21791-d-link-dxs-1210-10ts/ - which is a very similar spec to the Netgear and has gone up over a £100 quid since i bought one last week!

8x 10GBase-T ports plus two 10G SFP+ uplink ports ( its not clear from the DLink site but the SFP+ ports are both 10G) and its a Layer 2/3 switch with all the usual goodies.

I also picked up at the same time - to take advantage of the SFP+ uplink ports a http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/18488-d-link-dgs-1510-20/ which gives me a 1G switch with 2x 10G SFP+ and 2x 1G SFP+ ports with an internal switching capacity of 76 Gbps so in theory i could saturate all 20 ports - eek!

The switches will be linked, as stackable, by a 10G SFP+ cable as it would be rude not too..  :P

So thats what the three boxes are you see in the photo. Two switches and a SFP+ cable

Plus i got some Cat 6 and Cat6a ( for longer runs) -

Point to note - that site sells network cables for stupid money - compared to any other site i have been to for good quality stuff :)

Oh an i found a DGS-1510-20 on eBay earlier this week (only a bit over a year old) - and i popped in a couple of bids - mainly for a bit of a laugh to see what it would go for - and i got Tango'd as i won  :o  :lol: so the second 1510 arrives Monday for less than half the new price.  :blink:

Ian-Highlander

@@Ian-Highlander - infiniband fibre ?

Nice grab - lots of potential with those babies

Did you do the lottery yesterday as well?  :D

Nope, just standard FC but dual 4Gb which will do for me ;)

Haven't done the lottery in years, maybe it's time... :D

PenkethBoy

If i had only bought the main switch and the couple of 10G cards i would have spent the same or slightly less than you did on the 6x HGST's :)

PenkethBoy

i'm in the build  phase as well - although from you previous posts i doubt mine will be as sexy as yours  :P

Guest asrequested

i'm in the build phase as well - although from you previous posts i doubt mine will be as sexy as yours :P

Lol... I have to be concerned with how mine looks, as it's right in front of me. I'd love to have a server room, but I think I'd spend all my time in there lol

I need to redo my speaker cables and have better management. I may do that this weekend

Edited by Doofus

PenkethBoy

lol sounds like you have something to do that not very exciting and are looking for jobs to do that can put that off....  :P

"..sorry darling cant cut the lawn i have to play with my speaker cables..."   :D

Guest asrequested

lol sounds like you have something to do that not very exciting and are looking for jobs to do that can put that off....  :P

"..sorry darling cant cut the lawn i have to play with my speaker cables..."   :D

lol...well there is no 'darling'....but i'm totally gonna play around, this weekend 

You have your prod drives and backup in 1 machine???  Looks like you enjoy living on the edge.

Information on disks is of no value. Therefore, a backup is not required.

Here is a photo of another computer. File Storage is under the table.

0_11d31a_ded9cb88_XXXL.jpg

0_11d31c_3a8530f8_XXXL.jpg

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

:o Information on disks is of no value. Therefore, a backup is not required. :o 

Until you have to re create a large chunk of it!  :P 

Like the fish tank on the left of the table .. oh hang on.... :D 

PenkethBoy

Just setting up my new rack with my 10G switches - initial progress 

581b1b86bf046_DSC_0013.jpg

Boris missing a couple of drive cages will go below the bottom switch and NAS will go on a shelf with some other bits and pieces

Just waiting on my "new" DL380 server to arrive to install that and start playing with my new toys!!

581b1c70ed40b_DSC_0014.jpg

Oh andfinally be able to tidy up the bomb site in the background  :rolleyes:

Just setting up my new rack with my 10G switches - initial progress

581b1b86bf046_DSC_0013.jpg

Boris missing a couple of drive cages will go below the bottom switch and NAS will go on a shelf with some other bits and pieces

Just waiting on my "new" DL380 server to arrive to install that and start playing with my new toys!!

581b1c70ed40b_DSC_0014.jpg

Oh andfinally be able to tidy up the bomb site in the background :rolleyes:

Oh... My... Gawd... That is monolith.

What kind of rack mount is that?

PenkethBoy

27u (1.4m High) and Boris is in a Lian-Li PC-343B which just fits in side between the front and back rail supports although 5mm to wide to just slide in and out (without modding) - so have to pop him in before putting the back verticals in

DL 380 just arrived so off to play :)

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

what time does your flight arrive?  oh hang on your coming from the moon - bring some soup  :P

Guest asrequested

what time does your flight arrive? oh hang on your coming from the moon - bring some soup :P

Lol... I wondered if anyone had recognized my avatar. I thought about using a moomin lol

PenkethBoy

you have to be of an age I think to notice 

always thought the soup dragon was the best bit :)

Edited by PenkethBoy

Guest asrequested

you have to be of an age I think to notice

always thought the soup dragon was the best bit :)

Ha! Right?! Memories...

How's the build, going?

PenkethBoy

not too bad bit slow lots of little details to get right hopefully first time

Just finalising the build of the Lian-li - just waiting for 2012r2 essentials to install - yawn! :)