Show off your rig..

saajan4u

DAVe3283

Looking for some user experience

Has anybody had any experience with the following SAS expanders i have my eye on?

Microsemi (Adaptec) - 82885T (2283400) - http://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/support/sas/sas/aec-82885t/

or the

So after good or bad experinces....

1) what raid card did you connect the expanders to
2) what throughput do you get when using multiple HDD/SSD - anything close to the bandwidth claimed?
3) If not connected to same make of RAID card - could you update the bios on the intel or not?
4) Do you have either working in WIn 10 PRO 64bit - any issues - does Windows see the expanders i believe it should

Finally a bit confused with the cable directions

do you use forward or reverse breakout cables from the expander to the HDD?
and also are there any issues with the Adaptec and cables from miniSAS (8087) to miniSAS HD (8643) - i assume these are bi directional?

Lost of questions :) - just been burnt with Highpoint controllers not working together so want to get it right this time :rolleyes:

Thanks

We have now wandered quite a bit off the "Show off your rig" topic, but I'll share my 2¢ anyway.

Those SAS expanders are in the $300-350 range (even on eBay), and the Adaptec even takes up a PCIe slot to work. I would suggest looking at a Dell 0KT1V (Adaptec ASR-78165) on eBay. They go for $150 (bare) to $200 (with backup battery!), and are a full 24-port RAID card. I use this, and on an array of SSDs, I can pull 7 GiB/sec read, and write to a RAID 60 at 2+ GiB/sec. It will save you some money, and takes the worry of throughput out of the picture.

I believe (but am not certain) you can create RAID volumes that span multiple Adaptec controllers, or run software redundancy (several ways are mentioned in this so-off-topic thread :P ). If you have a base RAID card you like, and want it to create a single mega-volume, then the expanders might be worth the extra money. But adding a whole 24-port RAID card for half the cost of an expander is something to consider, IMO.

PenkethBoy

Thanks for the info 

Yes i think we need a Hardware sub forum for Tech heads :) @@ebr??

To the current matter at hand - yes they are in most cases more expensive than a HBA - Raid would be nice but not needed as going Stablebit Drivepool  - so happy to pay for the expander and get a compatible HBA after - long story but Highpoint Rocket Raid cards do not play nice with each other under windows although up to 4 can work together under windows 10 according to Highpoint - but after testing for the best part of a month - computer says NO! :)

The Adaptec can be powered by the pcie slot or the molex connector - similar to the Intel - but if not i have spare slots as i will not be using 4 RR 2720SGL's :)

Having had so much hassle i would like to get these working under win10 - so need cards that support it directly as the Intel does and the Adaptec only needs an inf/cat file combo so no drivers.

I will have a look at the Dell - looks on a quick pass to be a Series 7 Adaptec card - so might be an option if Dell has win 10 drivers etc or the Adaptec ones will work. 

DAVe3283

I will have a look at the Dell - looks on a quick pass to be a Series 7 Adaptec card - so might be an option if Dell has win 10 drivers etc or the Adaptec ones will work. 

The Dell 0KT1V is the Adaptec ASR-78165, even uses the same firmware. Only difference is Adaptec won't directly provide support for them (they know which serial number is Dell and which is theirs).

This is the card I am talking about, $135 on eBay. I am using a couple with the battery backup modules on Windows Server 2012 R2 (~Win8.1), but it looks like Adaptec has drivers for Windows 10 x64 as well. The Adaptec drivers (and firmware!) do work perfectly with the Dell card.

Edited by DAVe3283

PenkethBoy

Yes google pulled up a few options 

Good to know the Adaptec firmware and drivers work :)

Edited by PenkethBoy

mediacowboy

28 tb ain't bad. I know people will complain but I have 1 Seagate 8tb archive and 5 - 4 tb desktop drives running under Windows 7 with drive bender.

Before I hear anything bad I do have a backup server about a hour and thirty minutes from my place.

Guest asrequested

28 tb ain't bad. I know people will complain but I have 1 Seagate 8tb archive and 5 - 4 tb desktop drives running under Windows 7 with drive bender.

Before I hear anything bad I do have a backup server about a hour and thirty minutes from my place.

I have other drives in the server, too. They are all desktop drives, and all Seagate.

Edited by Doofus

PenkethBoy

Yes very good drives i have 14 of them in a QNAP and my Drivepool server - just make sure you have good cooling

each one can hit 170MB/s no problem for large files :)

@@mediacowboy do you see the poor write performance but good read performance people talk about for Archive drives?

Guest asrequested

Yes very good drives i have 14 of them in a QNAP and my Drivepool server - just make sure you have good cooling

each one can hit 170MB/s no problem for large files :)

@@mediacowboy do you see the poor write performance but good read performance people talk about for Archive drives?

They are cooled pretty well. The other two I have, have been running nicely. They aren't the quietest drives, though. Not loud, but not silent.

PenkethBoy

post-134563-0-32095100-1477622769_thumb.jpg

I had a few parcels today as well :) the start of some nice new toys

Can you guess what they are :)

Happy2Play

How the */+* do you get photo's to show up inline rather than as tiny thumbnails?

Don't attach them, click the little picture in the tool bar and upload.

• Like 1

You guys are lucky you arent in France. Someone might put a gun to your head, tie you up, put you in a bathtub and rob you for your gear. You guys have any with diamond or gold accoutrements?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mediacowboy

Yes I see the slow write times but all in all I don't right to it all that often. Once the media is on the drive it becomes stagnant. I do all my recording and other processes on a faster drive before putting it on there.

mediacowboy

You guys are lucky you arent in France. Someone might put a gun to your head, tie you up, put you in a bathtub and rob you for your gear. You guys have any with diamond or gold accoutrements?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Doesn't France have pretty strick gun laws? I could see this happening in the United States. Hints another thread I started and about to take my license to carry.

mediacowboy

attachicon.gifDSC_0003.JPG

I had a few parcels today as well :) the start of some nice new toys

Can you guess what they are :)

Care to share where you found them?