Show off your rig..

saajan4u

MSattler

Honestly it depends on what cpu's they have....

Thing is.... Emby runs on sqlite, which has no database locking, so you cannot setup a load balanced front end for it.  I suppose you could run multiple servers... but that's a PITA been there done that.

Servers won't have video cards so no Quicksync or any kind of video card based decoding/encoding.

1U servers typically cannot hold a ton of disks, so they don't make really great storage servers.

Power consumption on these servers will most likely be higher than say an i7-6700 box, which would allow you to use QuickSync for encoding/decoding.

So could you use them?  Yes.  Would it be practical?  Probably not, at least from a power/space perspective.

2f1e2ab2e90f58f897141737347663ed.jpg

How about this for a server system? Haha. My company is getting rid of these and got me thinking...

b0dyr0ck2006

Honestly it depends on what cpu's they have....

Thing is.... Emby runs on sqlite, which has no database locking, so you cannot setup a load balanced front end for it. I suppose you could run multiple servers... but that's a PITA been there done that.

Servers won't have video cards so no Quicksync or any kind of video card based decoding/encoding.

1U servers typically cannot hold a ton of disks, so they don't make really great storage servers.

Power consumption on these servers will most likely be higher than say an i7-6700 box, which would allow you to use QuickSync for encoding/decoding.

So could you use them? Yes. Would it be practical? Probably not, at least from a power/space perspective.

They are Apple Xserve Xeon 2.66 dual quad core, 48gb ram and currently fitted with 3x 1tb hdd hotswaps. Far too noisy for my place but would look cool!! They came from a certain broadcast company so must be so so.

MSattler

They are Apple Xserve Xeon 2.66 dual quad core, 48gb ram and currently fitted with 3x 1tb hdd hotswaps. Far too noisy for my place but would look cool!! They came from a certain broadcast company so must be so so.

Probably enough processing power for a Front End emby server.  Still limited on storage though... well I guess not everyone needs 50TB =)

Can always just sell them online!

b0dyr0ck2006

Probably enough processing power for a Front End emby server. Still limited on storage though... well I guess not everyone needs 50TB =)

Can always just sell them online!

Haha true, I'm only running on 12tb and I thought that was a lot until I stumbled across this thread.

These are currently on sale on eBay

Wow there are some pretty setups in here! My theater room is not nearly as pretty as some, but it works great for me & my friends/family.

post-73481-0-92010600-1474676805_thumb.jpgpost-73481-0-08281300-1474676811_thumb.jpgpost-73481-0-23946400-1474676817_thumb.jpg

I run a 100" fixed screen projector (BenQ W1070, has treated me well for 3+ years now). Running a 5.1 setup off an Integra DTR-50.5. Front speakers are all B&W, rears are some cheap (relatively) in-wall JBLs. I've never felt the quality of the rear speakers was as important, so we cheaped out.

post-73481-0-97331300-1474677362_thumb.jpgpost-73481-0-33726000-1474677368_thumb.jpg

I wired my whole house for Ethernet (I also have WiFi, but I hate WiFi because it is slow as balls). That is an older pic of the network rack, it now has a battery backup and some power injectors for IP cameras.

post-73481-0-84792500-1474677669_thumb.jpgpost-73481-0-17796700-1474677674_thumb.jpg

Server is a custom build on an ASUS workstation board, stock clocked Intel 4770K (didn't need the extra speed). Using a Fractal Define R4 case (no complaints). Thought I did alright on cable management inside the case. It runs Windows Server 2012 R2. Filled it with 5x 4TB Seagate HDDs, using the equivalent of a RAID5 with Windows Storage Spaces.

post-73481-0-86723000-1474677726_thumb.jpgpost-73481-0-64518500-1474677732_thumb.jpgpost-73481-0-09780200-1474677739_thumb.jpg

When that space became insufficient, I got my hands on a few 1TB SSDs and a NORCO RPC-4224 case to act as an enclosure (it is cheaper than most SAS enclosures). Since the SSDs all only use 5 volts, and a LOT of it, it was cheaper to get a dedicated 5V power supply, rather than a PC power supply. It works great, and was less than $60 for 40 amps at 5 volts.

post-73481-0-67613700-1474677750_thumb.jpgpost-73481-0-07528900-1474677756_thumb.pngpost-73481-0-43267800-1474677762_thumb.png

Got it all slapped together. I put some foam at the top of the case since I walk through there and was worried about cutting my shins as I went by. Configured the SSDs in RAID 60 on an Adaptec 78165 RAID card. They run pretty fast for a RAID 60, IMO.

The actual HTPC front-end is a cheap i3 build in a small mini-ITX case I found on Newegg years ago. About the size of an Xbox 360. Has a small mSATA SSD to boot from, a Blu-ray drive for when I haven't ripped something I want to watch yet, and the rest of the content is over the network. Nothing fancy, but it plays 2D & 3D content great, and streams games from my main desktop when I want to play Goat Simulator on a 100" screen (which has happened more than I would have thought).

Now all I need to do is paint the media room, put some better posters up, and get an actual rackmount case (and requisite rack) for the server, and I'll be good to go. Until I run out of space from all the ripping, again ;)

• Like 2

Why 24x SSDs? Seems like a waste of money, throughput and iops for media storage, imho.

I never said I bought them... ;) They are old engineering samples I got for free. And I can't turn down free storage.

SSDs do have an advantage when a couple users are streaming content off the array and I start adding new content. The old mechanical drives would choke badly in that situation, leading to stuttering for the users watching content. Obviously this is not a problem on the SSDs.

When this space becomes insufficient, I will probably use a tiered storage setup with 20x mechanical HDDs and 4x SSDs as a cache to solve the problem described above. I'll have to decide if I want to use Windows Storage Spaces or the RAID card's native ability to do that.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

colejack

I never said I bought them... ;) They are old engineering samples I got for free. And I can't turn down free storage.

SSDs do have an advantage when a couple users are streaming content off the array and I start adding new content. The old mechanical drives would choke badly in that situation, leading to stuttering for the users watching content. Obviously this is not a problem on the SSDs.

When this space becomes insufficient, I will probably use a tiered storage setup with 20x mechanical HDDs and 4x SSDs as a cache to solve the problem described above. I'll have to decide if I want to use Windows Storage Spaces or the RAID card's native ability to do that.

Sent from my FlashScan V2

Well damn, lucky you. I would love to have those for a VM datastore.

shaefurr

Finally got a pic that shows the actual lighting color. Jesus taking a pic of a purple/UV color light is a pita.

Also ordered some braided cable extensions, was going to paracord the PSU myself, but due to my 1. Lazyness and 2. Not wanted the server down for days to rewire, I decided this was the way to go. :P

57ead97171718_0927161159.jpg

57ead9827829c_0927161200.jpg

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Nice, shaefurr!

I'm planning a new build. I want to reconfigure my setup. Make my present rig, a dedicated server. I'm trying to decide if I want to go to a rack. I still need an HTPC, as I need support for the audio that I use.

PenkethBoy

Nice effects

Hope to show off my new storage / backup server this weekend when amazon get their finder out and deliver the 4x3 hdd adaptors i am waiting on

shaefurr

Would be neat looking server, and lol @ the reference in the description "If you have the means I highly suggest picking one up."

You can embed youtube btw, its

[Youtube] youtubesharelink [/Youtube]

Guest asrequested

Would be neat looking server, and lol @ the reference in the description "If you have the means I highly suggest picking one up."

You can embed youtube btw, its

[Youtube] youtubesharelink [/Youtube]

I first saw this case years ago, but it was $1000, and I couldn't afford it, then. But now, if I can find it, I'd like to get my hands one. On ebay, it's $1700 LOL

Edited by Doofus

shaefurr

I first saw this case years ago, but it was $1000, and I could afford it, then. But now, if I can find it, I'd like to get my hands one. On ebay, it's $1700 LOL

Wowz, that's a pricy case.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

Wowz, that's a pricy case.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

LOL...I know, right? But I've been salivating over it for years. Just take a look at the specs, here

Guest asrequested

Seems extremely over priced for what it is. Not really seeing the appeal of it.

Yeah, I know. I suspect it's largely because of the screen. But it's BEAUTIFUL! lol.....The main reason I like it, is because it can house 10 HDDs. 

PenkethBoy

there are a lot of cases out there that will hold a lot more than 10 and save you a bundle of mooola

cough.. beauty in the eye of the beholder...  :)

Guest asrequested

there are a lot of cases out there that will hold a lot more than 10 and save you a bundle of mooola

I'm researching that, right now. Any suggestions?

shaefurr

I bought my case because it held 8 drives, which at the time I thought was a lot. Now its full and Im down to less than 1TB of free space lol. I'll be switches cases pretty soon.

I always wanted the Cosmos II, holds 13 drives and just looks awesome with the full window. But it was over 3x the price of this Fractal R3.

b889e5f56178a88b2d4e92c61dcc3d35.jpg

Guest asrequested

I bought my case because it held 8 drives, which at the time I thought was a lot. Now its full and Im down to less than 1TB of free space lol. I'll be switches cases pretty soon.

I always wanted the Cosmos II, holds 13 drives and just looks awesome with the full window. But it was over 3x the price of this Fractal R3.

b889e5f56178a88b2d4e92c61dcc3d35.jpg

That's my problem. My present case can hold 10, but I can't fit it onto a rack. I want one that will sit horizontally and hold just as many HDDs.