Show off your rig..

saajan4u

Guest asrequested

not too bad bit slow lots of little details to get right hopefully first time

Just finalising the build of the Lian-li - just waiting for 2012r2 essentials to install - yawn! :)

Man! I need more money, lol

PenkethBoy

we its not an english install so a bit hunt and peck but got it to the english interface eventually :)

Guest asrequested

we its not an english install so a bit hunt and peck but got it to the english interface eventually :)

lol...you installed in another language?

And I just noticed your avatar ...nice! lol

PenkethBoy

Yes Chinese - hence cheap - but not to bad to just change the language pack and a few other settings and now UK local based :)

PenkethBoy

mines only 27u so i think you are also looking at the same :) its 1.4m high by 600mm wide and 800mm deep (which is not enough as it turned out)

581cdc8024385_DSC_0036.jpg

10G Intel card  then HP P410 SAS card and finally HP SAS Expander

581cdca12ca16_DSC_0037.jpg

Boris side one

581cdcdca5b98_DSC_0043.jpg

Boris side 2

581cdd0fedb93_DSC_0046.jpg

Boris with his cloths on

581cdd5b7e7f5_DSC_0054.jpg

Karloff installed and ready for the big turn on :)

581cdd75cc3c6_DSC_0055.jpg

Lights dim in Warrington as Boris and Karloff come to life - "..its alivvvvvveee.." 

Edited by PenkethBoy
  • Like 3

Guest asrequested

That looks fantastic! I need more money, lol. So now you every in on rack? The rack I'm looking at is depth adjustable, so I won't have issues with that.

PenkethBoy

ahh ... actually no :)

I will save the surprise for tomorrow when Frankie will make his first appearance along with donor No1 and donor No2 is in the post :) 

PrincessClevage

ahh ... actually no :)

I will save the surprise for tomorrow when Frankie will make his first appearance along with donor No1 and donor No2 is in the post :)

This is weird enough without naming the servers:p

Enjoy this thread tho;)

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Enjoy this thread tho;)

lol...But it's very apropos, bringing inanimate objects to life. But I think mine would be more 'Weird Science'. I should call it/her Lisa.

PrincessClevage

lol...But it's very apropos, bringing inanimate objects to life. But I think mine would be more 'Weird Science'. I should call it/her Lisa.

Second that... Where are the female names...

PenkethBoy

Enjoy this thread tho;)

:lol: says the member called PrincessClevage.... :blink:  :P

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Have PC's named after Black Adder characters - Queenie, Nursie and Bob :)

and some boys 

Baldrick, and Percy

but always name PC's it gives them a personality - yeah ok it is a bit weird  :P

Edited by PenkethBoy

Guest asrequested

Well Frankie has not truned up yet but his donors have :)

581dbf845d0da_DSC_0008.jpg

581dbfa353dbc_DSC_0009.jpg

I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Are those hot swap drive bays in the front? What are these going to be used for?

PenkethBoy

Close :) DL 380 G6's - yes drive bays for 2.5" sas drives same as Karloff in the rack but only one Quad Xeon for each chassis - Karloff has dual Hex Xeon's - both have minor damage - bent ears which a hair dryer and a smallish hammer should sort - idea is to effectively combine the best of both into one - Dual CPU and Both drive bay cages into one chassis (16 drives) - effectively duplicating same spec as Karloff but dual Quad rather than Hex core.. The two chassis cost £75 each - motherboards and dual power supplies are worth that on their own so get a free server and may even make money on the deal. :)

This combined machine will be my test bed for water cooling the server - so i can pull the fans (which at startup sound like a jumbo taking off next door) - although i need to do a bit of re wiring as the server will not boot with a couple of fans missing out to the bank of 6. Add  a couple of quiet fans to give airflow to the case and a Ram cooler or two and it should be no noisier than a pc. If i can fiddle with the power to use a PC power supply then = possible quiet server. As the server has no pc fan headers i will control the water cooling and any new fans with a Raspberry PI or similar. If it works on the test server i will do same on Karloff and Frankie.

I was looking on ebay last night and Hex core xeons are becoming very cheap so might swap the cpu's in near future

Frankie (DL185) was even cheaper at ~ £40 (incl postage) as he has a bent drive bay rail which is part of the chassis and the seller clearly did not know what they had so i slipped in a cheaky last minute offer before the deadline and he arrives Monday with luck.- again a bit of heat and a persuader should sort the bent rail - but he has 3.5" bays which hopefully allows for some "ordinary" TB SATA drives to be added - we will see and even if not @ £40 quid i get a dual quad core Opteron box to play with. If multi TB disks are supported then its a cheap powerful NAS/DAS/SAN box for my network as a compliment to Boris.

Guest asrequested

Damn! I don't even have room for all that...well, I could get rid of a few things, lol. I'm looking at getting a server chassis. Noise would be my reservation. I thought about switching all the fans to quiet ones, and getting a fan controller. Or if I can get 4 pin fans, I can plug them into the MB and have them controlled that way. Or I could leave everything as it is....lol...that made me chuckle. 

PenkethBoy

Well i knew they would be noisy but damn ....... had three cats in the room when i plugged in the power not expecting it to turn on by itself .... great way to clear the room - cats exit on full turbo power after inital wtf moment - lol

Even when i quiets down after initial 30 sec or so no way you could have it in the lounge etc - far from unnoticeable sound wise - hence going to water cooling - have a couple of cpu blocks on the way - and think i know how to mod the fans etc

6 x 60 mm @ 5000 rpm - wow noisy

been in data centres before but never been next to one when in a quiet room when it switched on :)

How much have you got for you rack - even if i used all four its only 8U

Oh and these servers dont have four pin fan headers on m/b