Email Notifications

Spaceboy

Sorry to hear that, the plugin used to work fine. It is a very useful plugin and hopefully some one can fix it.

It seems that "used to" is the operative term here. At some time something must have changed (maybe on the server side) and it does not seem that anybody is looking at the problem.

CBers

It works for me.

I get email notifications many times a day from my MBS, plus others from my friends and family's MBS'.

I don't send via Gmail, but my own domain.

It works for me.

I get email notifications many times a day from my MBS, plus others from my friends and family's MBS'.

I don't send via Gmail, but my own domain.

CBers would you please be so kind and let us have your setup? Thanks

It works fine with gmail.  Sometimes I notice that I am not receiving email alerts and a restart of MB fixes.  Happens maybe once or twice a week.  See the settings below.

54c135e018ff1_1222015123734PM.jpg

• Like 2

It works fine with gmail.  Sometimes I notice that I am not receiving email alerts and a restart of MB fixes.  Happens maybe once or twice a week.  See the settings below.

54c135e018ff1_1222015123734PM.jpg

Thanks!

Tried the same settings but couldn't make it work, it could be because I'm running the latest dev. version.

Thanks!

Tried the same settings but couldn't make it work, it could be because I'm running the latest dev. version.

Same here! Using same versions as listed by mouseware (above).

Thanks econ for the settings. Still not working for me though. Pity that it is this difficult.

it's a community plugin, we're all working together on it :) actually if you read through this thread, it's been suggested not to use gmail because they may not all go through if being sent rapidly, due to spam traps. other free email services may have the same effects.

you can use them to receive notifications, but it's not suggested to use them to send them out. cbers has his own email server, so works perfectly for him. you could look at something like mailgun i think.

it's a community plugin, we're all working together on it :) actually if you read through this thread, it's been suggested not to use gmail because they may not all go through if being sent rapidly, due to spam traps. other free email services may have the same effects.

you can use them to receive notifications, but it's not suggested to use them to send them out. cbers has his own email server, so works perfectly for him. you could look at something like mailgun i think.

Hi Luke,

It used to work with outlook.com previously, but after I reinstalled MB3 it stops working, and since then I couldn't send any email no matter which account I choose......

Hi Luke,

It used to work with outlook.com previously, but after I reinstalled MB3 it stops working, and since then I couldn't send any email no matter which account I choose......

Well investigate. These are community plugins, so we're all working together on them. CBers says they work great.

CBers

Well investigate. These are community plugins, so we're all working together on them. CBers says they work great.

If I get a chance later, I'll change mine over to use Gmail and see what happens.

CBers

If I get a chance later, I'll change mine over to use Gmail and see what happens.

It didn't work, getting an error about "The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first.".

2015-01-23 13:18:50.0844 Error - DtoUtils: ServiceBase<TRequest>::Service Exception
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.5501.2478
	Command line: C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
	Processor count: 4
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: False
	Program data path: C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
	Application Path: C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. be2sm2170874wjb.38 - gsmtp
	System.Net.Mail.SmtpException
	   at System.Net.Mail.SendMailAsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result)
	   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.EndSendMail(IAsyncResult result)
	   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.SendMailCallback(IAsyncResult result)

2015-01-23 13:18:50.0844 Error - HttpServer: Error processing request for /Notification/SMTP/Test/fe8e98c1df54d9b502474bab46ee8982
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.0.5501.2478
	Command line: C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
	Processor count: 4
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: False
	Program data path: C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
	Application Path: C:\Users\Media\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\system\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. be2sm2170874wjb.38 - gsmtp
	ServiceStack.HttpError
	No Stack Trace Available

2015-01-23 13:18:50.0844 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 500 to 192.168.1.7. Response time: 108.0062 ms.
	Url: http://192.168.1.140:8096/Notification/SMTP/Test/fe8e98c1df54d9b502474bab46ee8982
2015-01-23 13:18:54.7727 Debug - HttpServer: Exiting HttpConnection.OnReadInternal because nread=0. ConnectionId: c86c3778c74a44449333a575410a4bae
2015-01-23 13:18:54.7767 Debug - HttpServer: Exiting HttpConnection.OnReadInternal because nread=0. ConnectionId: 56cc61d350834b22b3ad7d383fdbedc1
2015-01-23 13:18:54.7767 Debug - HttpServer: Exiting HttpConnection.OnReadInternal because nread=0. ConnectionId: a8b0ff5d362c432e97e930dcdaa03ff9

Does something need adding to the command to start a TLS connection?

well i don't know, but i wouldn't use a free email service to do the sending of the emails. i will update the config page to mention that.

mouseware

it's been suggested not to use gmail because they may not all go through if being sent rapidly

Right on. I still had to create a custom filter/rule in Gmail even though it was from me to me and authenticated as me to route to my inbox rather than SPAM. 

CBers

I have no issues with gmail.  Make sure you're email from AND to is to a gmail account.

When I did my test earlier I used one of my GMAIL emails to send the the other to receive - still didn't work.

mouseware

I just re-read this thread and a few questions that weren't asked:

1. Are you going through a proxy server or VPN?

2. Is the windows firewall (or other software firewall) enabled?

3. If using gmail (and you have telnet installed or putty) can you just "telnet smtp.gmail.com 587" and get any response, like:

220 mx.google.com ESMTP y200sm1444889iod.23 - gsmtp

If you are on Windows Server 20xx you can install the SMTP (IIS) "feature" and just point your settings to "localhost" to relay them...

If not, any chance to install wireshare and capture when you send a notification? 

Edited by mouseware