Email Notifications

Spaceboy

Just to jump in on this topic, I have the same issue and pretty sure the same log notifications as CBer's from memory. I noticed my email notifications stopped working maybe a month or so back and tried a heap of things to get it working but had no success. Google the log notifications from the "Test" mail option but couldn't find anything at the time. I know for sure it was something related to the implementation of the email method in the plugin as it had been working fine prior and my Sonarr install on the same QNAP with the identical server config works faultlessly (same situation as CBer's with Nzbget notifications).

Had given up on it for the moment and was just waiting for a software update when another mate of mine that is new to Emby emailed me asking if I had my email notifications as working as his weren't and that he had seen this thread so thought I would add to the discussion.

Current config is;

Emby running native on QNAP 3.08500.0

Emby Email Plugin 3.0.6119.41073

Using Godaddy Mail Servers. Haven't tried hotmail/gmail or free services purely as I have a notification address I use for my internal network and would prefer to keep using this.

For what its worth and to add some weight the CBer's comments I also think notifications of Library and Server updates is a great feature and emails are the the best base standard for notification. Extra helpful when you have multiple Emby Servers or multiple Emby Users you want to be notified once Series library etc is updated.

thanks

• Like 2

happpyg

Hi, new Emby user and loving it so far!  I second rjay's comments but so far, and as I am a new user, haven't been able to gather any useful logs yet.  I have turned on debug mode but still nothing extra apart from:

"2016-11-22 16:03:12.0375 Info Notifier: Emailing <insert my home email address here> with subject Emby: Emby: Test Notification" 

seems to get written into my logs when I send a test email.  My notifications will work fine for some time (a day or so) and then seems to stop working randomly.  After I restart the Emby service it will come good again for another day or so.

I run my own exchange server on the same LAN as my Emby server and have tested with Wireshark on my exchange box and see no attempt to connect at all from the Emby server when notifications are not working.  When all is working you see SMTP traffic as expected.

My config is

Emby  3.0.8500.0 running on 2008 R2 server as a windows service.

Emby Email Plugin 3.0.6119.41073

Local exchange server.  Switching from plain SMTP to TLS etc with auth makes no difference

Thanks for the work on this!

• Like 2

MSattler

So odd with.... I am running it with gmail.  I went ahead and set a test notification..... well I get it, but I see two in my mail box.  One from Emby, and then I get a failure from Emby saying it failed to deliver a email going to you@.com.

Although it is configured to send to my email address.

• Like 1

CBers
I get an email from GOOGLE if I use my GMAIL address to send from in the plugin:

"Google just blocked someone from signing into your Google Account XXXXX@.com from an app that may put your account at risk."

"Google will continue to block sign-in attempts from the app that you're using because it has known security problems or is out of date. You can continue to use this app by allowing access to less secure apps, but this may leave your account vulnerable."

So odd with.... I am running it with gmail.  I went ahead and set a test notification..... well I get it, but I see two in my mail box.  One from Emby, and then I get a failure from Emby saying it failed to deliver a email going to you@.com.

Although it is configured to send to my email address.

I am seeing the same thing with it attempting to send to you@.com.

I have mine configured to send from email1@.com to send to email2@.com.  I am getting tests and undeliverables in email1@.com.

CBers

I am seeing the same thing with it attempting to send to you@.com.

I have mine configured to send from email1@.com to send to email2@.com.  I am getting tests and undeliverables in email1@.com.

Nothing received by email2@.com though ??

Nothing received by email2@.com though ??

Correct, never receiving anything at email2.  The emails are being received in the incorrect gmail account -- the "email from".

• Like 1

MSattler

I get an email from GOOGLE if I use my GMAIL address to send from in the plugin:

"Google just blocked someone from signing into your Google Account XXXXX@.com from an app that may put your account at risk."

"Google will continue to block sign-in attempts from the app that you're using because it has known security problems or is out of date. You can continue to use this app by allowing access to less secure apps, but this may leave your account vulnerable."

MSattler

Correct, never receiving anything at email2.  The emails are being received in the incorrect gmail account -- the "email from".

See I am sending it from and to the same email.  And get the email and the bounce for you@.com.  Must be something buggy in the code.

Any errors in the server log around the time you send a test notification ??

See above for examples.

2016-11-22 10:02:37.4377 Info App: Emailing emailto@[member="gmail"].com with subject Emby: Emby: Test Notification
2016-11-22 10:02:37.4377 Info App: Emailing emailto@[member="gmail"].com with subject Emby: Emby: Test Notification
2016-11-22 10:02:37.4377 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.1.6169.27919
	Command line: C:\Users\media\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Processor count: 4
	Program data path: C:\Users\media\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
	Application directory: C:\Users\media\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System
	System.ArgumentException: You must specify password when you are not using defualt credentials
	   at AegisImplicitMail.SmtpSocketClient.SendMail(AbstractMailMessage message)
	   at MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Notifier.SendNotificationInternal(UserNotification request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Api.ServerApiEndpoints.Post(TestNotification request)
	   at ServiceStack.Host.ServiceExecGeneral.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<CreateExecFn>b__0(Object service, Object request)
	   at ServiceStack.Host.ServiceExecGeneral.<Execute>d__2.MoveNext()
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at ServiceStack.Host.ServiceController.<Execute>d__15.MoveNext()
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at ServiceStack.Host.RestHandler.<ProcessRequestAsync>d__19.MoveNext()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.<RequestHandler>d__60.MoveNext()
	System.ArgumentException
	   at AegisImplicitMail.SmtpSocketClient.SendMail(AbstractMailMessage message)
	   at MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Notifier.SendNotificationInternal(UserNotification request, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Api.ServerApiEndpoints.Post(TestNotification request)
	   at ServiceStack.Host.ServiceExecGeneral.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<CreateExecFn>b__0(Object service, Object request)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.<RequestHandler>d__60.MoveNext()

2016-11-22 10:02:37.4377 Info HttpServer: HTTP Response 500 to . Time: 0ms. https:///emby/Notification/SMTP/Test/afb49e73489a796ac5dba2343b1362b5
2016-11-22 10:02:37.4845 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.1.6169.27919
	Command line: C:\Users\media\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System\MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	Processor count: 4
	Program data path: C:\Users\media\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server
	Application directory: C:\Users\media\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server\System
	System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.IO.IOException: The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.AuthenticateAsClient(String targetHost)
	   at AegisImplicitMail.SmtpSocketConnection.Open(String host, Int32 port, SslMode isSsl, Int32 timeout)
	   at AegisImplicitMail.SmtpSocketClient.EsablishSmtp()
	   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
	   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.WaitAll(Task[] tasks, Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	---> (Inner Exception #0) System.IO.IOException: The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ForceAuthentication(Boolean receiveFirst, Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
	   at AegisImplicitMail.SmtpSocketConnection.Open(String host, Int32 port, SslMode isSsl, Int32 timeout)
	   at AegisImplicitMail.SmtpSocketClient.EsablishSmtp()<---

System.AggregateException
	   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.WaitAll(Task[] tasks, Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	InnerException: System.IO.IOException
	System.IO.IOException: The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.

Happy2Play

@@econ

Are you sure your configuration is correct?

System.ArgumentException: You must specify password when you are not using defualt credentials

CBers

@@econ

Nice catch on the spelling mistake ;)

• Like 1

@@econ

The password has to be correct because the emails are being received in my gmail account.  Just the wrong one.

• Like 1

CBers

See I am sending it from and to the same email.  And get the email and the bounce for you@.com.  Must be something buggy in the code.

I am now getting that.

So, which code is the question, Emby or Google ??

CBers

Just received an email entitled "Manage your Home with Emby Users", but also received the following:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

you@[member="gmail"].com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain gmail.com by gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com. [2a00:1450:400c:c04::1a].

The error that the other server returned was:
550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try
550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or
550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at
550 5.1.1  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=NoSuchUser tr13si29006989wjb.191 - gsmtp

----- Original message -----

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
        d=gmail.com; s=20120113;
        h=message-id:date:from:to:reply-to:subject:mime-version
         :content-transfer-encoding;
        bh=hJ1rUky1KD1D4TFcx29Ce0kUqmE4lqvuHxkgWFswcLo=;
        b=kEVNvx6oQFkj0RD3eY3vX2GFV7GmLGaGZQCxArCFgegw2bUalR98Sh+jHnoytbmhhd
         c/Kdv0SS0S9GBGXZXFrOJKcp3Ov+jPkOAq8ftPXG1p9EmGuzxydJULifBWk+ntn0P7UN
         MG8Crr7BHc4ciOBVxISnvRWEL5GoBujOyAvOoT0horCCRYkpAK733zp4tmz3hhnELG+f
         G+Lxyjyt9Kw75oYSdEFayKxCOzMoHkFsndPN4SMxUJrQkbJVbXDgM33l0OwidZHGSJAA
         NiL3NTVtB5Yn/SHctkJ5cFiIhGDPKdHree/01lWVD55x0FVPeN4GpIxINUegINvwIFoQ
         A9HQ==
X-Google-DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed;
        d=1e100.net; s=20130820;
        h=x-gm-message-state:message-id:date:from:to:reply-to:subject
         :mime-version:content-transfer-encoding;
        bh=hJ1rUky1KD1D4TFcx29Ce0kUqmE4lqvuHxkgWFswcLo=;
        b=DW7B4nqpS0408HD99BPWWAl/SqQR6SHjUltpOsSFVestM2VvbdTxrsHm3mv8fjeWY9
         XnDymyaLXEA3Y78mXVdq13Ele9TSymNWVUtck2qqZr57InLSIvL/RbU2YyN08jArCYmw
         eoYXRYNqMFT+/gQkW+75zRLeZ8ydb97VMXDjFhyJ20ePkqSBAr/6E+o5nex6ibiAuGZV
         0x00CT56OY0oWdqKvYzPlkvXCMTi/bPhCYcOyAkTKHFc4lZKBk3T2VbMvSdoCK9QIkWh
         GTbAXdzCyN8rw877f6qIDwl5EvUYC0DLXy/xWpTsk82sXww4fdce2tJJ5q1wQ3P0aphg
         aHZg==
X-Gm-Message-State: AKaTC01KZIWtc3nQcCG0y5Feyinis17SdXVKE3UgStVaiyanyDlFcHO6w//pkC62rr7H8A==
X-Received: by 10.195.18.71 with SMTP id gk7mr2458126wjd.175.1479890611164;
        Wed, 23 Nov 2016 00:43:31 -0800 (PST)
Return-Path: <myemail@[member="gmail"].com>
Received: from smtp.gmail.com (cpc3-maid6-2-0-cust1604.20-1.cable.virginm.net. [92.232.78.69])
        by smtp.gmail.com with ESMTPSA id f10sm35087428wjl.28.2016.11.23.00.43.30
        for <you@[member="gmail"].com>
        (version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128);
        Wed, 23 Nov 2016 00:43:30 -0800 (PST)
Message-ID: <583556b2.8a29c20a.df6a.a806@mx.google.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 00:43:30 -0800 (PST)
X-Google-Original-Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2016 08:43:33 GMT
X-Google-Original-From: you@[member="gmail"].com
X-Mailer: AIM.MimeMailer
TO: you@[member="gmail"].com
REPLY-TO: you@[member="gmail"].com
SUBJECT: Emby: Manage your Home with Emby Users
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="#SEPERATOR2#"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

----- End of message -----
So it's not just the Email Notifications plugin that has a problem, it's also how the Emby Informational emails are sent out.

Happy2Play

Testing with gmail I see the same issue, gmail say the account doesn't exist no matter what you enter in the TO: field.  Couldn't get Hotmail to process at all with v3.0.6167.21545.

• Like 1

Testing with gmail I see the same issue, gmail say the account doesn't exist no matter what you enter in the TO: field. Couldn't get Hotmail to process at all with v

If you are using gmails smtp servers make sure you have a gmail account in the to AND from field. They will only allow emails to gmail accounts.

So Luke, any progress on getting this fixed please?

If you're looking for progress updates then it's time for me to pull the plugin. In short - I need help with this. Someone from the community to make this plugin their baby and get to the bottom of every report that emails are not sending.

Snazy2000 is around but is not available for that kind of troubleshooting. I have no problem helping to update the plugin to adjust to server changes, but as far as being the go to person for every email-related issue, I need someone to help with that.

CBers

Can you just post the DLL that was working then please.

Until you changed it, it was working fine for me, even though the TEST notification failed in the settings page, the email was always delivered.

Your change broke it, so post the pre change version and then pull the plugin.

Happy2Play

Can you just post the DLL that was working then please.

Until you changed it, it was working fine for me, even though the TEST notification failed in the settings page, the email was always delivered.

Your change broke it, so post the pre change version and then pull the plugin.

Testing purposes only

@@CBers

v3.0.6119.41073 (in catalog) should be the version you are looking for, tested on current dev.  As you noted test fails but you still get notification.

I made the plugin "Read-Only" (while server was shutdown) and turned off installation failures and plugin failure to stop the failure notification.  Of course the new version is listed for install on dashboard but can't do to the "Read-Only".

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1