Email Notifications

Spaceboy

econ

@@snazy2000

Do you mind posting your smtp settings you used?  I was able to get the email notifications working for an internal smtp server using port 25 I have, but not one that is external to my network.

I am aware of the "Users will not be notified about their own activities." setting.  The notification for another user gets triggered in the dashboard, however the email is never sent when using an external smtp server. Test emails go through fine with the external smtp server.

snazy2000

Its very strange that test notifications do but main once dont as its the same code. Maybe you have setup your config page wrong for Playback ?

I have just pushed a change to github adding SSL support to the plugin.

Some ISP do not allow users to send email through there servers without using there client?

gjviii

I'm seeing the same issues as @@econ.  When I use my test setup from my work, everything works fine (port 25), but when at home on a Comcast network, test notifications work but the actual notifications of watched video's never work.  I think Comcast needs the ssl support that Snazy requested

snazy2000

The changes i have made have been merged just waiting for luke to put the built on catalog im sure he will do that when he gets a chance :)

econ

I installed the latest update with SSL/TLS, however I still haven't been able to get it to work with any smtp servers -- hotmail, gmail, verizon, yahoo.  Has anyone gotten this working with an smtp server off their network?

Here is what I am getting in the logs:

2014-05-03 16:18:17.1689 Error - HttpAsyncTaskHandler: Error occured while Processing Request: The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. w101sm4176910qge.12 - gsmtp
    The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. w101sm4176910qge.12 - gsmtp
    System.Net.Mail.SmtpException
    at System.Net.Mail.SendMailAsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result)
    at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.EndSendMail(IAsyncResult result)
    at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.SendMailCallback(IAsyncResult result)

I have verified my network isn't blocking smtp services by using a local program

http://smtptest.codeplex.com/

Server Version 3.0.5235.42132

Email Plugin 1.0.5235.34972

Spaceboy

It's working for me with the alt gmail server provided

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

econ

I tried the alternate gmail one as well but unfortunately my ISP is blocking port 25. Anyone know of another smtp server not running on port 25 that doesn't require authentication, similar to the alternate gmail one?

jj12345

The  {ItemName} template item reports episode name for TV shows.  Could it be expanded to be series - episode since I frequently don't recognize episode names.  

Koleckai Silvestri

The  {ItemName} template item reports episode name for TV shows.  Could it be expanded to be series - episode since I frequently don't recognize episode names.  

This has been requested elsewhere as well. Hopefully it gets added.

gjviii

I installed the latest update with SSL/TLS, however I still haven't been able to get it to work with any smtp servers -- hotmail, gmail, verizon, yahoo.  Has anyone gotten this working with an smtp server off their network?

Here is what I am getting in the logs:

2014-05-03 16:18:17.1689 Error - HttpAsyncTaskHandler: Error occured while Processing Request: The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. w101sm4176910qge.12 - gsmtp
    The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. w101sm4176910qge.12 - gsmtp

I have verified my network isn't blocking smtp services by using a local program

http://smtptest.codeplex.com/

Server Version 3.0.5235.42132

Email Plugin 1.0.5235.34972

I tried the alternate gmail one as well but unfortunately my ISP is blocking port 25. Anyone know of another smtp server not running on port 25 that doesn't require authentication, similar to the alternate gmail one?

I'm seeing the same exact issues.  my isp is blocking port 25 as well.

Pais

I keep getting the following message with Gmail using 1.0.5235.34972. I'm using the exact same setting as I use for Email notifications from FlexRAID, which are always delivered.

2014-05-04 17:31:18.1708 Error - HttpAsyncTaskHandler: Error occured while Processing Request: Syntax error, command unrecognized. The server response was: 

snazy2000

I have just tested Gmail with following settings

Server : smtp.gmail.com

Port : 587

SSL Enabled

SMTP Auth Enabled

Username : My Email

Password : MY Password

Works great for me after a server restart to apply the settings

You have to re-start the server to see config changes?

gjviii

I have just tested Gmail with following settings

Server : smtp.gmail.com

Port : 587

SSL Enabled

SMTP Auth Enabled

Username : My Email

Password : MY Password

Thanks for checking google, I believe I am using the same settings you are and its still not working.   I also noticed with these settings I am no longer getting the test emails.  cant pull server logs until later this week when I return home.  I'm also wondering if it works for @econ  as it appears he is using Comcast and is having the same issues I have

5367844dc3588_Capture.png

snazy2000

You have to re-start the server to see config changes?

It just happened to be that I restarted server and I started to get the email notifications. Before I restarted it didn't seem to work. 

gjviii

I restarted server as well and still didn't work.   I pulled logs remotely.   I've tested and verified passwords as well, so i don't BELIEVE its user error.

2014-05-05 08:35:47.8853 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP GET http://localhost:8096/mediabrowser/Plugins/b9f0c474-e9a8-4292-ae41-eb3c1542f4cd/Configuration

2014-05-05 08:35:47.8853 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to [::1]:51712. Response time: 8.0005 ms
2014-05-05 08:36:06.1373 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 304 to [::1]:51712. Response time: 15.0009 ms
2014-05-05 08:36:06.1513 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 204 to [::1]:51712. Response time: 15.0009 ms
2014-05-05 08:36:09.9435 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 200 to [::1]:51712. Response time: 11.0007 ms
2014-05-05 08:36:10.1535 Error - HttpAsyncTaskHandler: Error occured while Processing Request: The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. 11sm11164824qgv.20 - gsmtp
The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. 11sm11164824qgv.20 - gsmtp

2014-05-05 08:36:10.1535 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 500 to [::1]:51712. Response time: 186.0106 ms
2014-05-05 08:36:10.2305 Error - HttpAsyncTaskHandler: Error occured while Processing Request: The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. r4sm16823805qat.16 - gsmtp
The SMTP server requires a secure connection or the client was not authenticated. The server response was: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. r4sm16823805qat.16 - gsmtp

2014-05-05 08:36:10.2405 Debug - HttpServer: HTTP Response 500 to [::1]:51713. Response time: 259.0148 ms

AdrianW

Here's a warning for everyone...  :blink: 

Sometime ago I'd changed the name of one of my archive folders, and only just now I noticed that it wasn't showing in MB - so, I went to the Library section in the Web UI and fixed the path. Which kicked off a scan.

Almost immediately I received over 1500 "New content added" notifications... but I also had email notifications configured to send to my work email  :o 

That address received around 50 - something stopped more going through - maybe my work's spam filter, maybe something at my ISP. 

I've now disabled that notification, I'm not getting caught like that again.

Can't blame anyone but myself though.

AdrianW

I just realised that trying to mark as read those 1500 notifications on the dashboard only five at a time is going to take forever.

Any chance to improving the drop list of notifications to show more than five and possibly to add a "Mark all as read" option.

Koleckai Silvestri

Yeah. You have to really configure those notifications before you do anything else or your systems can be overwhelmed. They should really be off by default and let us opt-in to the individual notifications. I have the majority turned off until we can manage them more easily.

I just realised that trying to mark as read those 1500 notifications on the dashboard only five at a time is going to take forever.

Any chance to improving the drop list of notifications to show more than five and possibly to add a "Mark all as read" option.

On the map just haven't gotten there yet.

You can delete the notifications.db.

Yeah. You have to really configure those notifications before you do anything else or your systems can be overwhelmed. They should really be off by default and let us opt-in to the individual notifications. I have the majority turned off until we can manage them more easily.

Aren't new item notifications off by default?

Koleckai Silvestri

Aren't new item notifications off by default?

Everything was turned on when my server updated and set to to send notifications to all users. Ended up with 400 notifications myself when I changed a library folder.

Went through and set everything to Administrators only as my family doesn't care about the notifications and turned off all the content related ones.

gjviii

Maybe on dev builds but for the general public the new item notifications are off by default. those are really the only ones that could end up overwhelming like that.

@@Luke - any ideas why alerts aren't working for me or @econ using Comcast (blocking port 25) isp?  I have tried the google smtp server as well... 

Maybe on dev builds but for the general public the new item notifications are off by default. those are really the only ones that could end up overwhelming like that.