Email Notifications

Spaceboy

happpyg

Since my last post in this thread my email notifications have been working fine until today they randomly stopped.  I couldn't see anything in my logs, if there is something specific I should be looking for i'll check again and post here?

The only thing I've done since is install pushover notifications which are still working now even though emails aren't.  When I try to send a test email I don't get the email and then anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours later I get a message in the Emby web console "There was an error sending the test email. Please check your email settings and try again".

Not sure if that helps anyone but if I can give any more information let me know.

Cheers!

Happy2Play

@@Luke

Unless you made changes in 3.1.6177.26407 dev to fix this, I found the problem with updates  from plugin .41073.  The new version (3.0.6143.20346) is appending/doubling a new set of configs to the xml.  I deleted the duplicated section and the plugin worked without issue for me.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

It maintained the previous settings and added another SMTPOptions.  Erasing one fixed it for me.

- <Options>
- <SMTPOptions>
  <Enabled>true</Enabled> 
  <EmailFrom>xxxxxxxx@[member="Xxxxxx"]x.com</EmailFrom> 
  <EmailTo>xxxxxxxxxxxx@[member="xxxx"]mail.com</EmailTo> 
  <Server>smtp.xxxxxxxxxxxxx.com</Server> 
  <Port>587</Port> 
  <UseCredentials>true</UseCredentials> 
  <Username>xxxxxxxxxx@[member="Xxxxxx"]xmail.com</Username> 
  <PwData>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</PwData> 
  <MediaBrowserUserId>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx</MediaBrowserUserId> 
  <SSL>true</SSL> 
  </SMTPOptions>
- <SMTPOptions>
  <Enabled>true</Enabled>
  <EmailFrom>xxxxxxxxxxxxxx@[member="Xxxxxx"]xxcom</EmailFrom>
  <EmailTo>xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@[member="Xxxxxx"]x.com</EmailTo>
  <Server>smtp.xxxxxxxxxx.com</Server>
  <Port>587</Port>
  <UseCredentials>true</UseCredentials>
  <Username>xxxxxxxxxxx@[member="xxxx"].com</Username>
  <PwData>xxxxxxx</PwData>
  <MediaBrowserUserId>xxxxxxxxx</MediaBrowserUserId>
  <SSL>true</SSL>
  </SMTPOptions>
  </Options>
  </PluginConfiguration>
Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

This happened at the update from .41073 to 3.0.6143.20346.  The updated plugin didn't read the config and I had to re-enter everything and that is when I noticed it just added again to the xml.

So saving made no difference at the time (and doesn't duplicate its known data).  So there is a recognition problem between the updated plug looking at previous data.

Or at least on my system. :)

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

@@Luke

Okay more info from testing, I think the duplicate isn't really that since they were separate UserIDs.  One issue when you have multiple userids is the password gets cleared on one or the other, depending on which one you are testing from and you get errors.

Only having one user in the xml provided no errors.

@@CBers

Any chance you can verify this?

Happy2Play

What do you mean exactly about multiple users? You mean saving user B clears the password for user A?

Correct.  With only one user I don't get any errors either.

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

@@Luke

Couldn't get the update (.681) to work at all.

So I reverted back to 3.0.6143.20346 and built each user, one at a time saving the info for each user separately then combining the two.  Started the server and receive test email to both account without issue.

There is a issue somewhere with multiple users in the code.

Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

Tried setting up single user and multi user and no emails went through.  Saw the passwork saved in new plain test field and Pwdata remained empty.

Happy2Play

It would appear the plugin works fine it is just a matter of the xml playing nice.  At least from what I am seeing with v3.0.6143.20346.

Here is the log from .681 if that helps.

System.IO.IOException: The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.
Edited by Happy2Play
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

Not sure if it is by design but Test Notification sends to all users wheather enabled or not.  So if one user is configured correctly and another isn't you get the pop up error so it is a little difficult to trouble shoot users.

CBers

@@CBers

Do you have multiple user emails setup?  And are you seeing pretty much what I am?

I have multiple users on the server, but only 1 set up in the Email plugin, mine.

At work at the moment so can't check the xml files etc., but I do see the errors with the test notification, but currently not receiving any.

On my dev server I am sending through my own domain and getting nothing, whereas on my beta servers, I am sending through gmail and receiving an email, which also contains an error email as well.

Happy2Play

I have multiple users on the server, but only 1 set up in the Email plugin, mine.

At work at the moment so can't check the xml files etc., but I do see the errors with the test notification, but currently not receiving any.

On my dev server I am sending through my own domain and getting nothing, whereas on my beta servers, I am sending through gmail and receiving an email, which also contains an error email as well.

Are both these on the new plugin.  Can you list versions.  I haven't tested at all on beta just dev.  One user on Hotmail and the other on Gmail.

Edited by Happy2Play

CBers

Are both these on the new plugin.  Can you list versions.  I haven't tested at all on beta just dev.  One user on Hotmail and the other on Gmail.

Both are using the latest version Luke just released, v3.0.6178.681.

CBers

I just renamed the MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.xml to MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.xml.old, expecting a new one to be created when I hit save, but although the popup says the settings have been saved, there is no new .MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.xml file.

Happy2Play

I just renamed the MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.xml to MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.xml.old, expecting a new one to be created when I hit save, but although the popup says the settings have been saved, there is no new .MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.xml file.

Ya I notice that also you have to restart the server.

CBers

Yes, just did that and created a new.xml file.

It's now only got 1 set of SMTP option in it, mine.

The password field is filled in with *, but it is in clear text in the xml file !!

The Test notification no longer errors, but not received the email as yet !!

CBers

I did the same on my BETA server, which uses my GMAIL account to send through, and the email was sent without any errors, but in the received email, I get this:

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

you@[member="gmail"].com

Technical details of permanent failure:
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain gmail.com by gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com. [2a00:1450:400c:c09::1a].

The error that the other server returned was:
550-5.1.1 The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try
550-5.1.1 double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or
550-5.1.1 unnecessary spaces. Learn more at
550 5.1.1  https://support.google.com/mail/?p=NoSuchUser 137si2591890wmb.66 - gsmtp

Happy2Play

Are you setting the To and From address up with different accounts?  I just put same address in in both when testing with my gmail.

Even on a new build I get error message (pop-up) on new plugin 3.0.6178.681, I can get the previous version to work though 3.0.6143.20346.

Edited by Happy2Play