Email Notifications

Spaceboy

Happy2Play

I've used SMTP Tester to verify settings

http://smtptest.codeplex.com/

The tester and WHS2011 Alerter are able to test fine but still unable to configure MB3 to work, "there was an error processing the request" during test. 

moviefan

Hi, tried the above recipe with smtp.office365.com, Port 587. The Connection works, the Rest Not (i think because of tls).

Unfortunately MB States an "there was an error processing the request" when testing... Credentials are okay, since they are entered exactly the Same in my WHS notifications.

-- muehlberger

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

Yah sorry as I said I misunderstood.  Telnet test will not work for anything that uses TLS since there is no mechanism for it to encrypt the data using the public key of the mail server.  Would have to use a separate mail test client for that which supports TLS to achieve the same goal.

gjviii

The tester and WHS2011 Alerter are able to test fine but still unable to configure MB3 to work, "there was an error processing the request" during test. 

I still believe there are issues with this plugin.   I get the same error, but I do receive the test email.   I get no alerts when anything is being watched, 1 time I received an alert when media was added, but that was only once.  I get "latest emails" via email like @@econ, but no other emails .  I have tried my gmail, yahoo and Comcast emails and cant get anything working as expected.  I even created a "monitor" admin account and turned everything on, only thing I get (after the there was an error processing the request) is the test email.   I 'd be willing to allow someone to remote into my computer to rule out user error.   These are all the reasons why I believe the plugin isn't working correctly  thanks

gjviii

After reading this topic

http://mediabrowser.tv/community/index.php?/topic/5874-fr-server-notification-plugin-in-mb-server/

can my issue be related? 

I've continued testing all week and still am having the same issues " I get the same error, but I do receive the test email.   I get no alerts when anything is being watched, 1 time I received an alert when media was added, but that was only once.  I get "latest emails" via email like @econ, but no other emails .  I have tried my gmail, yahoo and Comcast emails and cant get anything working as expected.  I even created a "monitor" admin account and turned everything on, only thing I get (after the there was an error processing the request) is the test email."

mboehler

I still have some trouble with email notifications, too.  But I've been too busy with work and other projects to dig deeper into it.  In about a month or so I should have more time.  But perhaps it will be solved by then.

• 4 weeks later...
Pais

I also have never been able to get a test email or anything else working for Gmail with any of the settings shown in this thread.

Spaceboy

It was working for me but you are correct it does seem to have stopped. I'm on the dev server release though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Happy2Play

I get notification emails, but never could get Test to work (Error occured while Processing Request).

I've tried everything in this thread and have given up on this plugin.

I too was ready to give up on this plugin but decided to do a complete rebuild of my server in an attempt to solve a separate media browser issue and it fixed the email plugin issue.  I still cannot do the test emails, but am using gmail.

Previously I was on the dev but have moved to the standard release.  Not sure if that would have any effect.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read all posts in this thread and tried everything (which I have not tried before). Reading through this thread it seems that there is definitely a problem somewhere. The problem I have (like most other here) is: I do receive a e-mail message when using Test Notification in the Email Notification plugin but NO other e-mail messages (not even System messages). All messages are shown in MB Notification Centre.

Can somebody please help us "less technical inclined" (call us stupid if you want) with complete instruction (with screenshots will help) to correctly setup MB Server and Email Notification plugin to work correctly?

Thank you

snazy2000

The problem with email is that there are just so many options and some people are not allowed to remotely send emails through there ISP's server without using there web client. 

Ive tested the email plugin with BT, Gmail, Hotmail and have had no issues with it. Sometimes emails dont go through but i think that may be because the provider things there being spammed and just refuse them.

sfnetwork

The problem with email is that there are just so many options and some people are not allowed to remotely send emails through there ISP's server without using there web client. 

Ive tested the email plugin with BT, Gmail, Hotmail and have had no issues with it. Sometimes emails dont go through but i think that may be because the provider things there being spammed and just refuse them.

True... is there a public SMTP we could suggest to use as a work around for anyone having issues?

Usually, the ISP one is the best choice but hard to give a full proof procedure for those based on the fact that there are so many different ISP and requirements (some requires authentication on SMTP other no if it's within their network, etc...)... 

Edited by sfnetwork

sfnetwork

To be honest, for me, PushOver (iOS and Android devices) and PushAlot (any of my Win 8 PC) are better and more reliable vs all those SMTP and their different requirements... It covers everywhere I would need to see those emails (in my case)

And there are others like Prowl, NotifyMyAndroid, etc... so I prefer this since it talks to their API directly and it doesn't depend on SMTP servers which can be so different from one to another... (and it's not like there is a lot of info in the notification content (which would be where emails could be better...)

Edited by sfnetwork

snazy2000

I dont really use any of the notifications tbh lol. I dont know of any public SMTP servers.

There are options like a MailGun plugin but would require users to have there own domain name or to use the sandbox domain which has limitations but atm i dont have the incentive to create it as I wouldn't use it my self and working on channel plugins atm. 

If there was a group of people that would use the plugin then maybe I may create it at some point. 

sfnetwork

I dont really use any of the notifications tbh lol. I dont know of any public SMTP servers.

There are options like a MailGun plugin but would require users to have there own domain name or to use the sandbox domain which has limitations but atm i dont have the incentive to create it as I wouldn't use it my self and working on channel plugins atm. 

If there was a group of people that would use the plugin then maybe I may create it at some point. 

lol you don't use it, you just created those for us? so sweet  :wub:

Edited by sfnetwork

sfnetwork

Ok, thanks guys. Some people mentioned that the test button was working but automated emails are not.

I just want to make sure the automated emails are working and then that might be all we can do. If a provider is trapping them as spam or blocking them then there's not much we can do. I agree the notification services are better but it's nice to provide choice.

I'll do some testing later with it to really confirm...

Pais

Here's a few details on my setup. I run Windows Home Server 2011 as the OS on my server with FlexRaid for data protection and of course MediaBrowser server. I have Windows Home Server and FlexRaid independently setup to send notifications via GMail and regularly get emails from each. I (attempt to) use the same settings with the email plug-in and haven't ever received a test or notification email.

Is there something that I can test since I have some email notifications working on the same machine using other software, but not the MediaBrowser email plug-in?

• Like 1

snazy2000

One thing i did notice luke is that Channel video playback is not detected by video playback.

and as you can see i receive all my emails so the plugin isnt broken :/ its just config for the users which is the issue 

2014-06-24_1801.png

Ok, thanks guys. Some people mentioned that the test button was working but automated emails are not.

I just want to make sure the automated emails are working and then that might be all we can do. If a provider is trapping them as spam or blocking them then there's not much we can do. I agree the notification services are better but it's nice to provide choice.

The problem does not seem to be provider trapping or spam (if it was why does the test e-mail go delivered?). In any case I checked spam and restrictions with my ISP and none was found. Problem must be between MD Server an plugin.

To be honest, for me, PushOver (iOS and Android devices) and PushAlot (any of my Win 8 PC) are better and more reliable vs all those SMTP and their different requirements... It covers everywhere I would need to see those emails (in my case)

And there are others like Prowl, NotifyMyAndroid, etc... so I prefer this since it talks to their API directly and it doesn't depend on SMTP servers which can be so different from one to another... (and it's not like there is a lot of info in the notification content (which would be where emails could be better...)

Might be better but they cost money :wacko:

Here's a few details on my setup. I run Windows Home Server 2011 as the OS on my server with FlexRaid for data protection and of course MediaBrowser server. I have Windows Home Server and FlexRaid independently setup to send notifications via GMail and regularly get emails from each. I (attempt to) use the same settings with the email plug-in and haven't ever received a test or notification email.

Is there something that I can test since I have some email notifications working on the same machine using other software, but not the MediaBrowser email plug-in?

I have RaidAR and Paradox Alarm setup and do not have any problem getting e-mails from these services (using the same setup as MB)