Email Notifications

Spaceboy

muehlberger

Ok, thanks guys. Some people mentioned that the test button was working but automated emails are not.

I just want to make sure the automated emails are working and then that might be all we can do. If a provider is trapping them as spam or blocking them then there's not much we can do. I agree the notification services are better but it's nice to provide choice.

Hi - in my Case, the Test Button didn't work, but sending Mails ( office365, TLS) works :-D

-- muehlberger

Gesendet von meinem iPad mit Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
gjviii

I just noticed that email notifications are no longer working under Version 3.0.5324.37963.   Can someone validate that they are seeing the same issue?

Thanks

I just noticed that email notifications are no longer working under Version 3.0.5324.37963.   Can someone validate that they are seeing the same issue?

Thanks

I could never get e-mail notifications to work (not even with earlier versions of MB). Seems that it has not been working for a long time (if ever). This thread could to date not deliver a solution/explanation either.

AdrianW

It's been working for me for many releases - I'm currently on  3.0.5325.39569

Edited by AdrianW

moviefan

Thanks

I noticed mine weren't working as well and then I realized it was because my email server was shutoff.  :-)

They work fine with it on!

You know thats strange, I just noticed my playback started notifications arent working either.  Other email notifications are working for me, ie application update installed, server restart required.  I just got those last night with the most recent update to the general release of mb. I know everything is configured correctly.  I created a "notification" user to send emails when anything is played with my regular account. I am away from my server now but will try to post logs later.

Edit:

very strange but a restart of the server and I am now receiving playback notifications

Edited by econ

• 1 month later...

Sorry to drag this up again but I have spent all morning on this and it is driving me nuts!

I used to have the email notifications working fine when I had mediabrowser3 server installed on my WHS2011 server.  I changed to a new server on Windows 7 and everything is working perfectly except the email notifications.  Firstly I would like to confirm that I can send emails using the Testasmtp Application and I copy and paste all the information from that program into mediabrowser email settings to ensure user entry errors (I have tried typing manually as well) I have restarted the server and I have even created a new account on my domain but that made no difference. 

When playing a video or sending a test notification I get this error in the log (the stars are there to protect myself) 

2014-09-25 13:34:25.9371 Error - NotificationManager: Error sending notification to Email Notifications
    Transaction failed. The server response was: <cpc*-cosh*-2-0-cust*.6-1.cable.virginm.net[82.24.*.*]>: Client host rejected: Access denied
    System.Net.Mail.SmtpException
     at System.Net.Mail.SendMailAsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result)
     at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.EndSendMail(IAsyncResult result)
     at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.SendMailCallback(IAsyncResult result)
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
     at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
     at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
     at MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Notifier.<SendNotification>d__3.MoveNext()
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
     at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
     at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
     at MediaBrowser.Server.Implementations.Notifications.NotificationManager.<SendNotification>d__17.MoveNext()

Edited by mbc0

Sorry to drag this up again but I have spent all morning on this and it is driving me nuts!

I used to have the email notifications working fine when I had mediabrowser3 server installed on my WHS2011 server.  I changed to a new server on Windows 7 and everything is working perfectly except the email notifications.

I (and seemingly a few other users - refer earlier in this topic) have NEVER been able to get email notifications to send any e-mails (except test messages). This seems to have gone unnoticed to date as no changes have been made.

I was wondering that after reading the whole topic... what makes it extra annoying to me was that I used to have it working perfectly on WHS2011 and as a result am really missing it! it is always the way, you miss something you had rather than not having it in the first place... :-(

The access denied in the error log may be something to do with some kind of permission or port setting? can any devs chime in at all please?

Thanks

i think as mentioned a couple pages ago, a more reliable solution would be to use something like mailgun or i don't remember what the name of it was. but snazy or anyone else hasn't had a chance to build a plugin for that. 

@@Chris Jones this could be a good project

Can the developer of "E-mail Notifications" not get the plugin to work? If not should it not be scrapped as a plugin as it seems not to be working (in most cases anyway)?

Chris Jones

I may be interested in writing a MailGun plugin though my time is limited but i will keep it in my list. However surely it seems like the existing plugin should work. I've never tried it as i just look at notifications in the web client. I've never had any problems sending emails via gmail at least from my own movie import software. If the test button works then surely all emails should work. I might install this when i have time and see if i get the same issue.

I would agree but the test email button doesn't work for a lot of people (myself included) but I am able to send emails through other programs with the same details no problem 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would revisit this and installed the plugin again and low and behold it now works perfectly! (except the test button) I am now getting my notifications through email again! I am so happy :-D 

• 2 months later...

I used to get it to work with outlook.com account, but now after reinstalling the latest beta version I couldn't get it to work.

I also tried my gmail account following the config shared in this thread, still no success.

Any hint?

• 2 weeks later...

Any one get this plugin to work with either gmail or hotmail recently?

I have tried EVERYTHING possible and could NEVER get this plugin to work (other than sending a test message). Seems that there is very little development (or support) on this one.

I have tried EVERYTHING possible and could NEVER get this plugin to work (other than sending a test message). Seems that there is very little development (or support) on this 

Sorry to hear that, the plugin used to work fine. It is a very useful plugin and hopefully some one can fix it.

mouseware

Any one get this plugin to work with either gmail or hotmail recently?

Yes, I have it working just fine with Gmail, server 3.0.5490.2, and plugin version 1.0.5235.34972.

Did you follow Google's Gmail guide: https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600?hl=en

I'm using port 587/TLS with my full email address as username, and because I have 2FA enabled, an application specific password for this email function only. 

• Like 3

Yes, I have it working just fine with Gmail, server 3.0.5490.2, and plugin version 1.0.5235.34972.

Did you follow Google's Gmail guide: https://support.google.com/a/answer/176600?hl=en

I'm using port 587/TLS with my full email address as username, and because I have 2FA enabled, an application specific password for this email function only. 

Can I ask what SMTP URL do you use? The relay one of the normal one?

Thank you!