Email Notifications

Spaceboy

CBers

Are you setting the To and From address up with different accounts?  I just put same address in in both when testing with my gmail.

Even on a new build I get error message (pop-up) on new plugin 3.0.6178.681, I can get the previous version to work though 3.0.6143.20346.

With GMAIL yes.

I have created a new GMAIL email address and have used that to send to my normal GMAIL email address, but the email bounces back to itself with that you@ error.

It seems that using the same To/From GMAIL address, is just a masking the issue, as it's the sending email address that is receiving the email and the error messages, not the recipient email.

Happy2Play

Maybe, I can send from Hotmail to gmail, but get that same bounce error trying gmail to hotmail.

MSattler

With GMAIL yes.

I have created a new GMAIL email address and have used that to send to my normal GMAIL email address, but the email bounces back to itself with that you@ error.

It seems that using the same To/From GMAIL address, is just a masking the issue, as it's the sending email address that is receiving the email and the error messages, not the recipient email.

Even with using the same from and to, I still get the you@.com bounce.

Happy2Play

@@CBers @@MSattler

Just tested this if I use port 465 I get the you@ bounce, but using port 587 I don't get any mail.  On plugin (.681)

Edited by Happy2Play

Happy2Play

My testing result from previous and current plugin

Single User
From and To using same address: gmail notifications worked on ports 465 and 587  Hotmail failed(no emails) on port 465
From gmail to hotmail: failed (no emails) on port 465 but port 587 worked
From hotmail to gmail: failed (no emails) ports 465 but port 587 worked

Multiple users
Tested one user setup with hotmail and the other with gmail
User A password get deleted when you save user B and vice versas  (copied both hashed passwords for next step)
Shutdown server and manually entered hashed password for the one that is missing allows both to recieve emails

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reset xml file for single user (all gmail)
Updated to 3.0.6178.681
Clicked Test - error (log) "The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format."
Re-entered passord - same as above
Shutdown server and delete xml
Restarted and entered information in again
Same errors (log) "The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format."
Changed from port 587 to 465
Test notification received but received email failure also

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:
     you@.com
Technical details of permanent failure: Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain gmail.com

gmail to hotmail
port 465 recieve failure email as above but recieve test notification in gmail not hotmail.
port 587 error (log) The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.

Changed to hotmail
port 465 error (log)"A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond"
port 587 error (log)"The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format."

Probably by design but Test Notifications should be independent of the user you select to test.  Current emails are attempted to sent to All configured users enabled or not.

Edited by Happy2Play

CBers

Even with using the same from and to, I still get the you@.com bounce.

Yes, but no matter what the TO address is, that message is received by the sending email.

Looks like a bug using Gmail SMTP.

Happy2Play

So @@Happy2Play, there's no real answer then?

Have you tried all of the above with the version that you made read-only?

I haven't tested with the stable version in dev but I can here in a few minutes.

CBers

I haven't tested with the stable version in dev but I can here in a few minutes.

OK, only if you have time.

Thanks.

Happy2Play

New plugin 3.0.6178.28512

gmail to hotmail 465 good
gmail to hotmail 587 pop-up error log The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.

gmail port 465 good
gmail port 587 pop-up error log The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.

homail port 465 pop-up error log A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond

hotmail port 587 pop-up error log The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.

hotmail to gmail port 465 pop-up error log A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
hotmail to gmail port 587 pop-up error log The handshake failed due to an unexpected packet format.

At this point I can revert it back to the stock .net smtp mailer, or I can keep the third party one. The stock mailer built into the framework I think is a little out of date and will only work with email domains that are not exactly on the cutting edge. The third party mailer has additional configuration and can probably solve the above, however someone else in the community will have to take on the responsibility of exploring this.

Right now I am leaning towards reverting to stock and keeping the plugin around temporarily so that everyone who has it can get an update that will be compatible with their server version. And then I'll probably just pull it until a contributor comes around who is interested in helping to get this perfected.

Maybe @@landgazr or @@chef enjoy email notifications?

Happy2Play

Overall 3.0.6143.20346 had the most functionality at least from my test, unless this changed with server updates affected this.  Only issue was multi-user password issue.

@@CBers 3.0.6119.41073 on dev 3.1.6178.26744 doesn't work at all

all configurations port 465 pop-up error log Unable to find the specified file.

all configurations port 587 pop-up error log Unable to find the specified file.

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Looks like only port 587 in server 3.1.6178.26744 and plugin 3.0.6143.20346 works now.

gmail to hotmail 465 Syntax error, command unrecognized. The server response was:
gmail to hotmail 587 Good

gmail port 465 Syntax error, command unrecognized. The server response was:
gmail port 587 Good

homail port 465 pop-up error log A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
hotmail port 587 Good

hotmail to gmail port 465 pop-up error log A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond
hotmail to gmail port 587 Good

Edited by Happy2Play

trifleneurotic

Although I'm new to Emby, I currently do not use e-mail notifications. However the world doesn't revolve around me (: I'd love to help if I can.

What happ2play mentioned is exactly what I was experiencing and is now making a bit of sense to me. I setup a second user to notify them of library updates which is when I started noticing all the problems. The password thing mentioned makes complete sense as I would go in Save the password for one user, test and all good then go onto the second user and notice password was missing so resetup again thinking it was working only to find the first user was without password again and no longer receiving emails.

thanks

CBers

I am now running v3.0.6178.37996 of the plugin and I have reverted my sending email (FROM) to my own email address, sending TO my gmail addres.

Test notifications with the plugin on both dev and beta servers were received.

I'll wait and see if I get other notifications.

Happy2Play

Tested plugin v3.0.6178.37996, everything appears to work only on port 587.

• 1 year later...

My Email notification doesn't work anymore. My settings are:

From and To Email Address:      My own Gmailadress

SMTP Hostname                        smtp.gmail.com

Port   587

both checkboxes are checked

SMTP Autentification

Username:      my own Gmailadress

password        app password from google.

This is the failure i can see in the log file

2018-01-09 11:41:01.964 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.2.60.1
	Command line: /opt/emby-server/system/EmbyServer.dll -programdata /var/lib/emby -ffmpeg /opt/emby-server/bin/ffmpeg -ffprobe /opt/emby-server/bin/ffprobe -updatepackage emby-server-deb_{version}_armhf.deb
	Operating system: Unix 4.9.35.7
	64-Bit OS: False
	64-Bit Process: False
	User Interactive: True
	Processor count: 4
	Program data path: /var/lib/emby
	Application directory: /opt/emby-server/system
	System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Failure sending mail. ---> System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.
	   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendAuthResetSignal(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest, ExceptionDispatchInfo exception)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendBlob(Byte[] incoming, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.CheckCompletionBeforeNextReceive(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendBlob(Byte[] incoming, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.ProcessReceivedBlob(Byte[] buffer, Int32 count, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReadFrame(Byte[] buffer, Int32 readBytes, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartReceiveBlob(Byte[] buffer, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.PartialFrameCallback(AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.InternalEndProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.EndProcessAuthentication(IAsyncResult result)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.EndAuthenticateAsClient(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
	   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.ConnectAndHandshakeAsyncResult.TlsStreamAuthenticateCallback(IAsyncResult result)
	   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.ConnectAndHandshakeAsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result)
	   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.EndGetConnection(IAsyncResult result)
	   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.ConnectCallback(IAsyncResult result)
	   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Notifier.<SendNotification>d__11.MoveNext()
	System.Net.Mail.SmtpException
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
	   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
	   at MediaBrowser.Plugins.SmtpNotifications.Notifier.<SendNotification>d__11.MoveNext()
	InnerException: System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException
	System.Security.Authentication.AuthenticationException: The remote certificate is invalid according to the validation procedure.
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.StartSendAuthResetSignal(ProtocolToken message, AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest, ExceptionDispatchInfo exception)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.PartialFrameCallback(AsyncProtocolRequest asyncRequest)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslState.InternalEndProcessAuthentication(LazyAsyncResult lazyResult)
	   at System.Net.Security.SslStream.EndAuthenticateAsClient(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
	   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.ConnectAndHandshakeAsyncResult.TlsStreamAuthenticateCallback(IAsyncResult result)
	   at System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.ConnectAndHandshakeAsyncResult.End(IAsyncResult result)

It seems that there is a problem with the ssl connection. I can see that app password was never used, so emby never logged in and try to send the email. 

Hope you can help me.

2Fake

@@2Fake, I don't know, sorry. The .NET Core email API is giving an error about the SSL cert of the remote email server. The only thing I can tell you is that in the past others have had issues using this with gmail and have had to make changes in their google accounts in order to get it to work.

• Like 1