New FreeNAS Package for testing

Luke

hjason7812

And what you're doing doesn't work either. I can't submit bugs because they banned me for submitting bug in older versions. I know odd right!? But whatever.. seems like here people are smart mouthed big ego types that rather talk crap than help.

So, that conversation is over :)

Ignore requests for details, flat out refuse to even try the suggested solutions, and then bad mouth the guys trying to help.... Should get his problem fixed pretty quick eh?

adrianwi

And what you're doing doesn't work either. I can't submit bugs because they banned me for submitting bug in older versions. I know odd right!? But whatever.. seems like here people are smart mouthed big ego types that rather talk crap than help.

Are you feeling a little insecure that all the 'smart mouthed big ego types talking crap' have managed to get emby working on FreeNAS, and you still can't?

Good luck though, I'm out :(

• Like 2

arne.klein

I'm happy to see that emby is not only supporting FreeNAS - I've been using it in warden- and iocage-based jails for a few years now - but now also embracing the new iocage-based pluginv2 architecture. Awesome, thanks!

I just tried installing it following the instructions from the original post, and the installation was successful.

I did run into issues when trying to execute the "iocage fetch" command from the shell in FreeNAS' UI, resulting in an odd error message saying "pkg.freebsd.org could not be reached via dns, check your network". When I stopped being lazy and executed it in an SSH session, it worked fine though. Seems more like a FreeNAS issue than an emby one.

We're pleased to announce a brand new FreeNAS package for Emby Server. Here are the highlights and advantages over the current package:

• Fewer installation steps
  • New releases will be immediately available

(...)

What's confusing me though is that in the new (beta) FreeNAS Angular UI of FreeNAS 11.2-BETA3, I found Emby as a plugin. I keep reading that there's no one click button for installing/updating the emby plugin, but in the list of available plugins, Emby is actually listed in version 3.5.2.0 (lagging behind the stable version 3.5.3.0 a bit). It installed emby 3.5.2.0 just fine, but afterwards says that no new version is available. Where's this coming from?

I can't submit bugs because they banned me for submitting bug in older versions. I know odd right!?

Very. I can't for the life of me imagine why they would do that.

But whatever.. seems like here people are smart mouthed big ego types that rather talk crap than help.

Oh look, there might be a clue in there!

Edited by arne.klein

sluggo45

I'm happy to see that emby is not only supporting FreeNAS - I've been using it in warden- and iocage-based jails for a few years now - but now also embracing the new iocage-based pluginv2 architecture. Awesome, thanks!

I just tried installing it following the instructions from the original post, and the installation was successful.

I did run into issues when trying to execute the "iocage fetch" command from the shell in FreeNAS' UI, resulting in an odd error message saying "pkg.freebsd.org could not be reached via dns, check your network". When I stopped being lazy and executed it in an SSH session, it worked fine though. Seems more like a FreeNAS issue than an emby one.

What's confusing me though is that in the new (beta) FreeNAS Angular UI of FreeNAS 11.2-BETA3, I found Emby as a plugin. I keep reading that there's no one click button for installing/updating the emby plugin, but in the list of available plugins, Emby is actually listed in version 3.5.2.0 (lagging behind the stable version 3.5.3.0 a bit). It installed emby 3.5.2.0 just fine, but afterwards says that no new version is available. Where's this coming from?

Very. I can't for the life of me imagine why they would do that.

Oh look, there might be a clue in there!

Ignore the built in plugin. I think while the (Freenas 11.2) beta is going on they are ignoring them; the Emby plugin is from 11.1 if I am not mistaken. It'll work, but not easy to update out of cycle. If you are running 11.2 use the methods outlined here.

Keep in mind that 11.2 is very much a beta and there are still issues. One particularly nasty bug that is still floating around deletes your iocage jails when the server is rebooted: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/iocage-jail-configuration-disappeared-after-reboot.62538/page-2#post-484493

The latter already bit me once so...back up your jails :)

Not to say it isn't shaping up nicely. I'm not totally sold on the new UX - looks better, less functional - but that is something they are actively working on and it's already improved from Beta 2 so... use, give feedback on issues, and never forget it's a beta.

• 2 weeks later...
Barlog9511

After update to new version 3.6.0.53 I got a new error 

HeaderPlaybackError
No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details.

weird on this is when I start to play one episode I got the error, but when click to play all, the playback start normally

maybe something related to this?

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases

HeaderPlaybackError
No compatible streams are currently available. Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details.

weird on this is when I start to play one episode I got the error, but when click to play all, the playback start normally

Please see how to report a media playback issue. thanks.

Barlog9511

HeaderPlaybackError

I try to rewrite all metadata and this help, but another weird thing happen. 

Did new beta release have only The Open Movie Database for image download?

Because of a lot of my movies now doesn't have any images :/ (is there some of the images, but  only have the very low resolution )

My TV Series library have TheTVDB for images and this work well

post-102570-0-40257900-1539043251_thumb.png

post-102570-0-76268300-1539043266_thumb.png

post-102570-0-36283500-1539043282_thumb.png

post-102570-0-49145200-1539043289_thumb.png

Edited by Barlog9511

Yes good catch thanks. Moviedb and fanart are both missing from the mono-based beta packages. This will be corrected with the next beta. Thanks.

Barlog9511

Yes good catch thanks. Moviedb and fanart are both missing from the mono-based beta packages. This will be corrected with the next beta. Thanks.

Now I must install Moviedb and fanart plugin and make some changes in Library config but seems it is working again

When are the background images downloaded? 

because I try to rewrite all metadata with pictures, but background images aren't downloaded (yet)

Barlog9511

When are the background images downloaded? 

because I try to rewrite all metadata with pictures, but background images aren't downloaded (yet)

@@Luke and second question?

Yea sorry, like i said the previous beta was missing the fanart and moviedb features.

3.6.0.45 for FreeNAS-Beta3

Installation

• Requires FreeNAS 11.2 Beta-3 (not tested with other versions).
  • There's no one click button in the freenas web interface that we could find (hopefully that'll get added in the final release). But it's fairly easy to install anyway via the shell in the web interface:
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/bott0r/iocage-plugin-emby-beta/master/emby-server-beta.json
iocage fetch -P --name emby-server-beta.json ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.0.112/24" defaultrouter="192.168.0.1" vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on"
  • vnet0 is of the virtualized network interface that is bridged to your NIC, if you have any plugins installed from the freeNAS repository it should already exist. If you open a shell and type ifconfig you should be able to figure out if it does.
  • Replace 192.168.122.3 and 24 with the IP and netmask you desire (make sure its outside your dhcp range and on your network).  You can edit this afterwards in the jail configuration interface, but since the plugin needs internet access to install, the initial configuration should be valid.
  • After installation you can add mount points using the jail interface to access your media files.

Update 

• Requires FreeNAS 11.2-Beta3, and at least Emby running
  • There's no one click button in the freenas web interface to update an existing emby installation but you can use the shell as well
  • Go to https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases
  • Copy the link from the emby-server-freebsd package (check for *.txz)
  • Follow the steps below
iocage console emby-server-beta
service emby-server stop
pkg add -f https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Releases/releases/download/3.6.0.FUTURE/emby-server-freebsd_3.6.0.FUTURE_amd64.txz
service emby-server start

Optional

• Change the User and Group of emby-server to have no file ownership issues (here e.g. needs to be UID=GID=1101)
iocage console emby-server-beta
service emby-server stop
pw groupmod emby -n emby -g 1101
pw usermod emby -n emby -u 1101 -g 1101
chown -R emby:emby /var/db/emby(hit tab)
sysrc 'emby_server_user=emby'
service emby-server start

Video

Known Issues:

When mounting a folder to the jail via the freenas UI  folder creation fails, you have to create manually the mounting folders

Hey guys. I just realized this thread so I'm late to the party. I'm excited to give this a try but I have couple questions.

Right now I'm using FreeNAS 11.2-Beta 3 and I have Emby Version 3.5.2.0 that was installed using the New GUI. I also have a separate dataset mounted for /var/db/emby-server Permissions are set up for `emby` (G)UID=989.

Questions are:

1. Can I rename the plugin from emby-server-beta to just emby -- I already know how but is it OK to do this?
  2. I thought I read the beta at first had a different database location but now it's the same as `/var/db/emby-server` I can't seem to find that again. Can you please confirm where I should mount my database folder for this beta?
  3. I would like (if possible) to keep permissions the same (`emby 989)` -- Does the new beta still create this account or will I need to perform additional steps to keep this working?

Thanks that's all for my questions --

I apologize if the rest of this is out of scope for the this forum but it seems more people (who maybe don't normally don't use the command line) are on the command line because of the beta/transition state of things on FreeNAS right now. I just hate to see people having a bad time and frustrated because they are put in a situation they're not normally in.

I've been playing with the (new)iocage for a little while, both FreeNAS 11.1 and now the Beta. I never used the GUI in 11.1 so I've gotten pretty comfortable with most of the iocage basics from the command line. I'd like, if I may to just add a few things I've noticed along the way but have not seen mentioned yet

First a few words about iocage activate for people using iocage for the very first time. Very simply your just telling iocage where it's going to live and this also creates some initial structure inside the iocage dataset. For example if my storage pool was called tank. The command would be

iocage activate tank

Again it's nothing to do with Emby -- and FreeNAS usually does this just fine on its own but I have found at this point, for best results to manually run this command before installing my first plugin or jail. I only mention this for people who are taking there first steps with iocage because they're trying to run Emby

I manage all my IP address from my router so I create my plugins/jails to use DHCP. When I install this plugin my command will look like this

iocage fetch -P dhcp=on vnet=on bpf=yes -n emby-server-beta.json --branch 'master'

And a final note on adding storage. While it is true that you must stop the jail to add storage from the FreeNAS GUI. I have the found exact opposite to be true when using the console (CLI)

For Example to maybe mount a dataset called tank/media/movies inside the jail at /home/emby/movies you could use

iocage fstab -a emby-server-beta "/mnt/tank/media/movies /home/emby/movies nullfs rw 0 0"

An again I have found this to work while the jail is running

I forgot to mention this also seems to work without having to create a folder first (again opposite the gui)

Edited by Zodiac

makarai

I hope @@Luke will chime in here.

1. Can I rename the plugin from emby-server-beta to just emby -- I already know how but is it OK to do this?
  2. I thought I read the beta at first had a different database location but now it's the same as `/var/db/emby-server` I can't seem to find that again. Can you please confirm where I should mount my database folder for this beta?
  3. I would like (if possible) to keep permissions the same (`emby 989)` -- Does the new beta still create this account or will I need to perform additional steps to keep this working?

- You can name your jail however you want, njust change the name within the json file  (vi emby-server-beta.json) 

- Db location is still /var/db/emby-server (however between 3.5 and 3.6 a major db overhaul has taken place, so not sure how easy it is to convert) 

- The new emby jail user also runs on 989

If i were you, i would try the following approach

1. install the beta as is (with weird name) 
  2. mount your folders the same way you mounted your folders in your org emby installation, either gui or fstab (you might have to mkdir some folders, see known issues)
  3. rsync your old db over to the new one. 
  4. restart emby service and hope if rewrites the db, check if everything works in the beta. 
  5. now you have two running jails (emby and emby-server-beta) test it to your hearts content, if everything works great you can delete the old plugin :D

here an rsync command that works for me :D

rsync -vrlpogth /mnt/evo/iocage/jails/emby-server-OLD/root/var/db/emby-server/ /mnt/evo/iocage/jails/emby-server-NEW/root/var/db/emby-server/
Edited by makarai

makarai

@@makarai, any thoughts on @'s questions above yours?

I did answer his questions,I think. I asked for you to chime in because of the DB change that happened between 3.5 and 3.6

I haven't installed a fresh emby in about 2 weeks, I'll try it later tonight and report back. But I don't see why it should not work.

Edited by makarai

@@Luke and @@makarai, Thanks for the replies and recommendations.

The post_install.sh  needs updated to the new emby link (I submitted a pull-request) but otherwise the installation and database upgrade went off with out a hitch.

I am having a playback issue though. In my case it's only mkv files which all contain 5.1 ac3 audio. 

Shared object "libx264.so.152" not found, required by "libavcodec.so.58"

All my other media, MP4 AVI MP3 -- all playback just fine. Any advice?

Edit: So this only seems to be effecting playback in chrome-browser. The Emby Android app and my Nvidia Shield (both casting from my phone and direct playback in the app) play my mkv files just fine.

Edited by Zodiac