New FreeNAS Package for testing

Luke

sorry, but you mean did you prefer just only one post or I miss the emby log file in the information that I wrote?

I have attached the log.txt

The log is from the old version. can you please attach a log from the new one? thanks.

The log is from the old version. can you please attach a log from the new one? thanks.

Sorry, Now there is the right one log file of 3.6 ...

eraser8

I found that moving the following directories from the old jail to the new has preserved the device associations. (assumptions are emby user is 989 and jailtank is the name of your jail pool)

cp -r /mnt/jailtank/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server/plugins /mnt/jailtank/jails/emby_2/var/db/emby-server/plugins
cp -r /mnt/jailtank/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server/config /mnt/jailtank/jails/emby_2/var/db/emby-server/config
cp -r /mnt/jailtank/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server/data/collections /mnt/jailtank/jails/emby_2/var/db/emby-server/data/collections
cp -r /mnt/jailtank/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server/data/playlists /mnt/jailtank/jails/emby_2/var/db/emby-server/data/playlists
cp -r /mnt/jailtank/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server/data/displaypreferences.db /mnt/jailtank/jails/emby_2/var/db/emby-server/data/displaypreferences.db 
cp -r /mnt/jailtank/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server/data/userdata_v2.db /mnt/jailtank/jails/emby_2/var/db/emby-server/data/userdata_v2.db
cp -r /mnt/jailtank/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server/data/users.db /mnt/jailtank/jails/emby_2/var/db/emby-server/data/users.db
cp -r /mnt/jailtank/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server/metadata /mnt/jailtank/jails/emby_2/var/db/emby-server/metadata
chown -R 989:989 /mnt/jailtank/jails/emby_2/var/db/emby-server

Now I haven't tried this while simultaneously doing a major emby version update so I don't warranty it for the jump from warden to iocage but it has worked for me over multiple warden to warden and iocage to iocage jumps.

If you are moving between iocage jails you need to use:

cp -r /mnt/jailtank/iocage/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server/plugins /mnt/jailtank/iocage/jails/emby_2/var/db/emby-server/plugins
cp -r /mnt/jailtank/iocage/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server/config /mnt/jailtank/iocage/jails/emby_2/var/db/emby-server/config
cp -r /mnt/jailtank/iocage/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server/data/collections /mnt/jailtank/iocage/jails/emby_2/var/db/emby-server/data/collections
cp -r /mnt/jailtank/iocage/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server/data/playlists /mnt/jailtank/iocage/jails/emby_2/var/db/emby-server/data/playlists
cp -r /mnt/jailtank/iocage/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server/data/displaypreferences.db /mnt/jailtank/iocage/jails/emby_2/var/db/emby-server/data/displaypreferences.db 
cp -r /mnt/jailtank/iocage/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server/data/userdata_v2.db /mnt/jailtank/iocage/jails/emby_2/var/db/emby-server/data/userdata_v2.db
cp -r /mnt/jailtank/iocage/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server/data/users.db /mnt/jailtank/iocage/jails/emby_2/var/db/emby-server/data/users.db
cp -r /mnt/jailtank/iocage/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server/metadata /mnt/jailtank/iocage/jails/emby_2/var/db/emby-server/metadata
chown -R 989:989 /mnt/jailtank/iocage/jails/emby_2/var/db/emby-server

A similar (but better way) is the creating of a emby-server dataset as mentioned above and using fstab or the GUI to direct that dataset into the emby-server jail as was suggested by several people here and at the FreeNAS resource page for installing an iocage emby.

I've yet to have to reinstall any of the Android apps on any of the family Android devices so I assume either of these would solve your problem.

Hi gents. I also did the copy of my emby data from old install to new install multiple times but I use different command if this can help someone. This RSYNC command keep the original owners/permissions of the files/directory

You need to connect by SSH to the freenas server without going in your iocages and preferably, stop any emby server:

rsync -vrlpogth /mnt/Safe/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server/ /mnt/Safe/iocage/jails/emby-server/root/var/db/emby-server/

• Like 2

makarai

I have two jails, transmission and emby, and after about 30 min and  I got connection refused from a web browser, the only way how to fix this was to restart jails

When I turn off vnet config, this problem was fixed

I am confused, i run emby on a  vnet interface without a problem, you seem to be using the interface name, i assume? Just posted my config as well 

post-165508-0-97175400-1535363207_thumb.png

post-165508-0-72844400-1535363214_thumb.png

makarai

Hi gents. I also did the copy of my emby data from old install to new install multiple times but I use different command if this can help someone. This RSYNC command keep the original owners/permissions of the files/directory

You need to connect by SSH to the freenas server without going in your iocages and preferably, stop any emby server:

rsync -vrlpogth /mnt/Safe/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server/ /mnt/Safe/iocage/jails/emby-server/root/var/db/emby-server/

if you have something setup on 3.5.2.0 and want to copy to a 3.6.2.0 jail

rsync -vrlpogth /mnt/iocage/jails/emby-server/root/var/db/emby-server/ /mnt/iocage/jails/emby-server-beta/root/var/db/emby-server/

if you get an invalid host error message just change the ip in the settings.xml file

Edited by makarai
  • Like 1

Barlog9511

I am confused, i run emby on a  vnet interface without a problem, you seem to be using the interface name, i assume? Just posted my config as well 

I'm confused too :D

I don't have any clue why is this happening ...

I try your config as well and have the same issue, only config suitable for me is from my last post 

makarai

I'm confused too :D

I don't have any clue why is this happening ...

I try your config as well and have the same issue, only config suitable for me is from my last post 

Problem that you might run into when you run your emby jail or any jail on the interface and not the vnet interface is that you wont be able to get multi casting to run. at least that is a problem i ran into.

sluggo45

I'm installing a new Emby server in Freenas 11.2 beta. I got the install done and running, no problem, and have access to the Emby web UX.

It's been a long time since I've had to deal with adding storage to jails and 11.2 is new to me, could someone help?

I've added /mnt/Slimz/media to the /media folder for my Emby jail. The former is where all my content is, natch.

However when I view that directory inside the Emby jail via ssh (/media) it's empty.

/mnt/Slimz/media is owned by the user group media/media - I use it for my Plex server, which I am switching away from.

A) Do I have a permissions problem here? Emby is running under emby/emby. I made the emby group part of wheel as well. I don't want to simply change the media user/group to emby for the datastore because that will break my Plex setup.

B ) Is there another issue as well? It's strange I can't see anything inside the directory in the jail (/media) at all, it shows correctly mapped in the FreeNas UX.

Been awhile so sorry for the basic questions. Thanks!

Edit: Figured out my first problem - had my jail mount point wrong. That's what I get for rushing through. So now that works.

Anything I need to do permissions wise in the jail?

Edit 2: Maybe I remember more than I thought. I created a media user/group in the Emby jail and assigned it the same UID as the FreeNas media user. So far I seem to be able to access and r/w in the directory. I'm assuming this is because I already made Emby part of the wheel group on the jail, so it has permissions over all jail users, and the media jail user matches the FreeNas one. Am I off here or did I get it right?

Edited by sluggo45

Hi to all,

with the release Version 3.5.2.0 and 3.6.0.2 there is a bug with the player on Android and LG OS and during the poster information preview.

With version 3.3.1.0 the problem isn't showed.

The information about the video quality, resolution and the Audio track isn't showed in the preview or during the playing

So isn't impossible to change the audio track or select the subtitle before the play or during the show

@@gasp72, try refreshing metadata on the media from the detail screen. then try to play again. please see if that helps. thanks.

makarai

I'm installing a new Emby server in Freenas 11.2 beta. I got the install done and running, no problem, and have access to the Emby web UX.

It's been a long time since I've had to deal with adding storage to jails and 11.2 is new to me, could someone help?

I've added /mnt/Slimz/media to the /media folder for my Emby jail. The former is where all my content is, natch.

However when I view that directory inside the Emby jail via ssh (/media) it's empty.

/mnt/Slimz/media is owned by the user group media/media - I use it for my Plex server, which I am switching away from.

A) Do I have a permissions problem here? Emby is running under emby/emby. I made the emby group part of wheel as well. I don't want to simply change the media user/group to emby for the datastore because that will break my Plex setup.

B ) Is there another issue as well? It's strange I can't see anything inside the directory in the jail (/media) at all, it shows correctly mapped in the FreeNas UX.

Been awhile so sorry for the basic questions. Thanks!

Edit: Figured out my first problem - had my jail mount point wrong. That's what I get for rushing through. So now that works.

Anything I need to do permissions wise in the jail?

Edit 2: Maybe I remember more than I thought. I created a media user/group in the Emby jail and assigned it the same UID as the FreeNas media user. So far I seem to be able to access and r/w in the directory. I'm assuming this is because I already made Emby part of the wheel group on the jail, so it has permissions over all jail users, and the media jail user matches the FreeNas one. Am I off here or did I get it right?

just a quick note here from my side, not sure how you mount your datasets, and who exactly owns them. I from my side had always issues with accessing datasets/folders from emby. So i just have one user (user1) with uid 1000 that owns all the multimedia datasets. 

Then i change the user of emby-server following this post under optional

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60971-new-freenas-package-for-testing/?view=findpost&p=604009

lastly i mount the folders using the UI and it looks like this 

post-165508-0-07133000-1535727469_thumb.png

sluggo45

just a quick note here from my side, not sure how you mount your datasets, and who exactly owns them. I from my side had always issues with accessing datasets/folders from emby. So i just have one user (user1) with uid 1000 that owns all the multimedia datasets. 

Then i change the user of emby-server following this post under optional

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60971-new-freenas-package-for-testing/?view=findpost&p=604009

lastly i mount the folders using the UI and it looks like this 

Thanks!

Do you create "user1" in your Emby jail and change Emby server to use that? Or do you just assign the user/group of Emby to 816 (in my case, that is my media user/group which I use for everything like you use user1) and otherwise follow the optional instructions? Sorry if I am being dense.

sluggo45

Edit: No longer relevant; the updated pkg install instructions on page 3 of this thread work fine.

Edited by sluggo45

sluggo45

New question: I'm having trouble with the Roku thumbnail addon and 4k files. It creates 74 byte files and stops. No errors in the log.

I'm wondering if this has to do with how ffmpeg is compiled for this release - I have a test Windows Emby server, and it can create thumbnails just fine for the 4k files, it just takes a while because that server is mapped to a share.

Any pointers?

Edit: It's actually doing this for all Roku thumbnails, not just 4k files. It creates a bunch of 72 byte files.

Edited by sluggo45
  • Like 1

sluggo45

Can you please attach the emby server log? thanks.

Attached. They don't tell much.

So, interesting: I set up an empty test jail, no Emby. Then after updating the pkg repo I just installed ffmpeg.

Then by manually running the command Emby's Roku thumbs addon uses it created the thumb correctly. Took almost an hour for the 4k title I tried, which is about right.

Doing this in the Emby jail fails. It skips all but the header frames and  throws back conversion failed.

This would seem to explain why I get tiny files. Methinks something is missing that the Roku thumb generator requires?

If I go to install the ffmpeg package on the Emby jail it tells me it will install ffmpeg but the x265 package already installed will be downgraded from 2.8.1 > 2.6.1, and that's all. I haven't actually installed it yet - will it help, hurt, or do nothing? It looks like the Emby Freenas package installs ffmpeg itself in its opt/bin directory, I had to export the path to it to get it to run from the command line.

emby-server-log.txt

Edited by sluggo45

Attached. They don't tell much.

So, interesting: I set up an empty test jail, no Emby. Then after updating the pkg repo I just installed ffmpeg.

Then by manually running the command Emby's Roku thumbs addon uses it created the thumb correctly. Took almost an hour for the 4k title I tried, which is about right.

Doing this in the Emby jail fails. It skips all but the header frames and  throws back conversion failed.

This would seem to explain why I get tiny files. Methinks something is missing that the Roku thumb generator requires?

If I go to install the ffmpeg package on the Emby jail it tells me it will install ffmpeg but the x265 package already installed will be downgraded from 2.8.1 > 2.6.1, and that's all. I haven't actually installed it yet - will it help, hurt, or do nothing? It looks like the Emby Freenas package installs ffmpeg itself in its opt/bin directory, I had to export the path to it to get it to run from the command line.

Thanks for the info. We'll look into this.

sluggo45

Hi Luke,

Update 2: Destroyed my test jail and created a new one. First I tried the 3.6.0.32 beta (I am on 3.6.0.31 in my "main" jail) but didn't expect a change and there wasn't.

Then I installed the release version, 3.5.2.0. This works (Roku thumb generation).

Hopefully that closes the delta for you; after 3.5.2.0 is where the problem started - that, or it's the plugin. I noticed the release version only offers up to 3.1.5 for the plugin while the beta shows 3.1.8. There's no way to stop that from updating, I've noticed, unless I am missing something, or I'd try an older version of the plugin to test too.

This is a new setup so I can re-do the jail and stick with the release version for now, but I'll keep a test available of the beta if you need me to try anything or provide more logs.

With the beta package are you able to do other tasks involving ffmpeg, such as transcode video for playback? thanks.

sluggo45

Yes, transcoding with the beta works, just tried it via a Roku client. FFMpeg process is running in jail, shows transcoding in dashboard.

sluggo45

Another note: the 3.6.0.32 beta on Windows doesn't exhibit this behavior either. Thumbnail generation works with it. Just FreeNAS has the issue (well, I've only tested FreeNAS and Windows, more precisely).

• Like 1

sluggo45

Hi Luke,

Cross-referencing this thread: https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/61942-shared-object-library-not-found-for-ffmpeg-on-3602/page-3 - I noticed I was also having the shared library missing issue, along with some errors with ffprobe not being able to scan files, etc. In my case I am using quarterly packages already but it looks like the x264 package was just updated to .155 in there as well so, problems.

I think the reason ffmpeg "worked" before for me was because the transcodes I tried weren't with h.264 video essences. When I forced Emby to transcode everything by lowering the settings I ran in to ffmpeg failures there. Aha.

So, I compiled ffmpeg using the port, and configured it with the options Emby needs. I tried some manual encodes via shell and they worked. Then I switched the paths Emby uses for ffmpeg and ffprobe in the launcher script. At first, this didn't work for me - same problems - but then I realized I forgot that the script exports the library path and so it was still using the same libraries Emby installed for ffmpeg :)

I changed that as well and now everything works. ffprobe can scan video files, transcoding works, and so does Roku thumb generation. It's been running steadily for 12 hours now, plowing through my collection.

So (as you probably already know) something is off with the libraries the Emby pkg is installing. I'm on the .33 beta now btw. 

For others who run in to this and want a temporary fix (apologies if you are already familiar with FreeBSD):

Install ffmpeg from the port. You'll need to do Portsnap fetch & extract if you haven't already, then go to /usr/ports/multimedia/ffmpeg and run make install clean. When asked, select the configuration options Emby needs (libass, lame, opus, x265 plus the defaults) and compile.

You could just install the ffmpeg package, which is simpler, but if I'm not mistaken the FreeBSD pkg isn't built with all the options needed.

ffmpeg will be installed in /usr/local/bin, and libraries in /usr/local/lib. These won't conflict with the Emby install, btw, when it's fixed.

Now edit the startup script /usr/local/etc/rc.d/emby-server . Change the emby_server_ffmpeg and emby_server_ffprobe lines (there are two each) to /usr/local/bin instead of /usr/local/opt/emby-server/bin . And change export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/opt/emby-server/lib to export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib . Then restart Emby server.

Note this is temporary - upgrading Emby will overwrite the startup script and set it back to the defaults - but it'll get things going until whatever the specific library or other issue with the ffmpeg package installed with the Emby package is.

• Like 4

alucryd

@@sluggo45 Are you building libx264 from source or using the binary package? Binary packages are still on .152 on my FreeBSD version 11.2. Once it lands our ffmpeg binary will be rebuilt against it.

sluggo45

@@sluggo45 Are you building libx264 from source or using the binary package? Binary packages are still on .152 on my FreeBSD version 11.2. Once it lands our ffmpeg binary will be rebuilt against it.

root@emby-server:~ # pkg info -x x264

libx264-0.155.2917

x264-0.155.2917_3

Is what mine returns. My package system is set to quarterly.

I built ffmpeg from source (the port) and it generated libx264.so.155 as well, which is what is being used.