New FreeNAS Package for testing

Luke

Just a heads up, even in FreeNAS 11.2 Beta 3, the default jail that is created is 11.1-RELEASE.

So the initial command should include a -r 11.2-RELEASE in there to create the jail using 11.2

iocage fetch -P --name emby-server-beta.json -r 11.2-RELEASE ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.2.100/24" defaultrouter="192.168.2.1" vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on"

makarai

@@makarai do you agree?

i actually disagree. if you look into https://github.com/bott0r/iocage-plugin-emby-beta/blob/master/emby-server-beta.json you'll see that when pulling the emby--server-beta.json you'll install that with the 11.2 release.

However, if you install the stable first you'll install 11.1 check https://github.com/MediaBrowser/iocage-amd64/blob/master/emby-server.json and when you update you of course can stay on 11.1. 

cheers

Edited by makarai

i actually disagree. if you look into https://github.com/bott0r/iocage-plugin-emby-beta/blob/master/emby-server-beta.json you'll see that when pulling the emby--server-beta.json you'll install that with the 11.2 release.

However, if you install the stable first you'll install 11.1 check https://github.com/MediaBrowser/iocage-amd64/blob/master/emby-server.json

cheers

I've just destroyed again and starting from scratch so I'll try again, but earlier I ended up with 11.1 and it gave me a kernel mismatch and asked if I wanted to proceed anyways

@marakai i've finally merged the topics. In order to avoid having two sets of instructions, going forward please suggest the updates and I'll incorporate them. Thanks !

makarai

fine with me (you can add this part, if you like)

Beta - Installation

• Requires FreeNAS 11.2-Beta3+
  • There's no one click button in the freenas web interface that we could find (hopefully that'll get added in the final release). But it's fairly easy to install anyway via the shell in the web interface:
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/ma-karai/iocage-plugin-emby-beta/master/emby-server-beta.json
iocage fetch -P --name emby-server.json ip4_addr="vnet0|192.168.122.3/24" defaultrouter="192.168.0.1" vnet="on" allow_raw_sockets="1" boot="on"
  • Replace vnet0 with your virtual network interface (ifconfig will print them). vnet0 should be set to your virtual interface, if you have installed a regular FreeNAS plugin its most likely vnet0 
  • Replace 192.168.122.3 and 24 with the IP and netmast you desire (should be different from that of your freenas box).  You can edit this afterwards in the jail configuration interface, but since the plugin needs internet access to install, the initial configuration should be valid.
  • After installation you can add mount points using the jail interface to access your media files.
Edited by makarai

makarai

Not strictly related to Emby but there a way to update an 11.1 jail to 11.2 or do I need to back up Emby and reinstall from scratch.

Well, technically, you should be able to update the base jail, and keep your data, not sure if that is already proper implemented in the beta.

I'll do it this way, i install, a new jail and keep the other still running. (you just need to change the name in the .json file, and freenas release), mount my multimedia folders via gui,

then i rsync the data via 

rsync -vrlpogth /mnt/evo/iocage/jails/emby-server-OLD/root/var/db/emby-server/ /mnt/evo/iocage/jails/emby-server-NEW/root/var/db/emby-server/

change /mnt/evo/iopcage/jails/  to your actual jail folder. done 

takes 10 minutes

Edited by makarai

adrianwi

Storing /var/db/emby-server outside of the jail (e.g. /mnt/pool/emby-data) and mounting it back (iocage fstab -a emby-server '/mnt/pool/emby-data /var/db/emby-server nullfs rw 0 0') in is the way to go, rather than copying folders between jails when you rebuild one.

And one of the biggest benefits of iocage is the ability to update the version of FreeBSD the jail is running, so you should be able to update your 11.1 iocage jail to 11.2.  I'm still on 11.1-U6 so haven't tried this yet, but in theory, it shouldn't be more complicated than:

iocage fetch 11.2-RELEASE
iocage upgrade <jail_name> -r 11.2-RELEASE

You might need to do a pkg update/upgrade inside the jail after upgrading, but as I say, I can't try it yet as I'm not on the 11.2 beta train.

Edited by adrianwi

Storing /var/db/emby-server outside of the jail (e.g. /mnt/pool/emby-data) and mounting it back (iocage fstab -a emby-server '/mnt/pool/emby-data /var/db/emby-server nullfs rw 0 0') in is the way to go, rather than copying folders between jails when you rebuild one.

And one of the biggest benefits of iocage is the ability to update the version of FreeBSD the jail is running, so you should be able to update your 11.1 iocage jail to 11.2.  I'm still on 11.1-U6 so haven't tried this yet, but in theory, it shouldn't be more complicated than:

iocage fetch 11.2-RELEASE
iocage upgrade <jail_name> -r 11.2-RELEASE

You might need to do a pkg update/upgrade inside the jail after upgrading, but as I say, I can't try it yet as I'm not on the 11.2 beta train.

I did this after I updated on all of my jails and it worked wonderfully.

hjason7812

Don't you mean stop and start instead of onestop and onestart? The service is enabled and started in post_install.sh when the jail is created. Other than that I don't know how iocage reacts when you try to install a jail with the same name but it's likely to fail as you said.

Upgrading should be done via a shell indeed, and pkg upgrade should also be called once in a while. I'll try to keep our freebsd updated and always build against the latest packages.

i know you have to stop emby to install the storage in the jail to your media, but once stopped it will not restart again..

So how are you supposed to add your media to emby?

sluggo45

i know you have to stop emby to install the storage in the jail to your media, but once stopped it will not restart again..

So how are you supposed to add your media to emby?

You have a problem if you can't start the jail after. Check your jail's fstab - I've noticed the 11.2 betas don't have many fail safes, so for example the GUI will let you put a bad/incorrect path in and it will take it but then refuse to start because it can't mount it.

• Like 1

hjason7812

They shouldn't have changed from the old style jail storage. I don't even know where to direct my media to all places are root and stay empty, even tried to add a fold into the root for my media and still nothing.

I tested it without add anything to the jail and it turns off and starts fine. I add one media to the storage and it doesn't work again.

Edited by hjason7812

sluggo45

Mounting storage is pretty much exactly the same; sounds like you have another problem going on.

In 11.3 (and 11.1) you can either do it from the GUI or command line and it is pretty straightforward, particularly the GUI. Stop the jail, click Mount Points, click the + sign, on top under source click the black folder, choose the storage pool you want to mount, under Destination on the bottom do the same and select the folder where you want it mounted, done. The only caveat is it won't create a non-existent folder for you (the old Warden jail method would) so you have to create one in the jail first if you want to use something different.

It couldn't be simpler. As I said, if that didn't work for you, you have a bigger problem going on. What that is no one could say with the info you've provided. Have you tried the FreeNAS forum/storage subforum under Help? The members there are usually pretty helpful and can guide you since this isn't an Emby-specific problem.

makarai

They shouldn't have changed from the old style jail storage. I don't even know where to direct my media to all places are root and stay empty, even tried to add a fold into the root for my media and still nothing.

I tested it without add anything to the jail and it turns off and starts fine. I add one media to the storage and it doesn't work again.

I assume its the known issue.

Do you get any error message, why the jail doesnt start?

If you mount storage (via the gui mount points) make sure the folder you mount into actually exists. atm the GUI does not create folders for you!

makarai

No error, i click the start on emby and it gove the circle and goes away but emby is still stopped

Is the jail stopped, or the emby service in the jail?

remove the storage again that you added and try if it starts! 

can you please upload two screenshots from your mount storage parts

Edited by makarai

hjason7812

The new freenas update 11.2 beta 3 you have to stop emby to add to the jail.i deleted all i added to the jail and emby did not start. To get emby working again i had to delete the install and reinstall emby. I'm at a loss as to how to add my media to this new gui. Everything i do seems to not work. Gotta love technology when it doesn't work

@@gasp72, try refreshing metadata on the media from the detail screen. then try to play again. please see if that helps. thanks.

No,

on my side refreshing the metadata doesn't helps . :-(

No,

on my side refreshing the metadata doesn't helps . :-(

Please attach a new server and ffmpeg log from the latest build. Thanks.

sluggo45

The new freenas update 11.2 beta 3 you have to stop emby to add to the jail.i deleted all i added to the jail and emby did not start. To get emby working again i had to delete the install and reinstall emby. I'm at a loss as to how to add my media to this new gui. Everything i do seems to not work. Gotta love technology when it doesn't work

FreeNAS 11.2 beta 3 works well for many of us here, in general.

Also, it's a beta. Finding edge cases that don't work so the bugs can be fixed is the entire point of them :) That's how software, particularly free software people develop on their own time and dime, gets better. What you're doing ("it doesn't work) isn't particularly helpful to the cause. You're basically just venting.