meatrack

theniteow1

I've seen it where a track can be marked as the default, mostly I have seen this with audio, not subtitle tracks.  Usually it comes down to someone using MKVToolNix, or some other software to remux a video file, and it's done incorrectly.  You may want to look at the file with MKVToolNix and see how it looks.

Kramerika

The only time I ever use MKVToolNix is to merge movies that were based on more than one disk.  That is not the case with any of the movies that I posted.  I'm not doing anything fancy.  I use MakeMKV to extract files.  The only change I made to the default with MakeMKV is that subtitles are not set to default.  I  compress the files with Handbrake.  Everything remains the same in going from raw MKV to compressed MKV except the video stream which gets compressed.  I use basically the same approach for DVD or bluray movies.  Bluray movies do use PGS subtitles versus VOBSUB.  Here is the info from mkvinfo skipping the chapter info.

|+ Segment information
| + Segment UID: 0x0d 0x4b 0xbd 0xd0 0x57 0xf5 0xfe 0x5e 0xfc 0x16 0x7e 0xdf 0x52 0x64 0x1d 0x7c
| + Muxing application: libmkv 0.6.5
| + Writing application: HandBrake 0.9.9
| + Timecode scale: 1000000
| + Duration: 5371.324s (01:29:31.324)
|+ Segment tracks
| + A track
|  + Track number: 1 (track ID for mkvmerge & mkvextract: 0)
|  + Track UID: 14024
|  + Track type: video
|  + Lacing flag: 0
|  + Codec ID: V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
|  + CodecPrivate, length 49 (h.264 profile: High @L4.1)
|  + Default duration: 41.708ms (23.976 frames/fields per second for a video track)
|  + Default flag: 1
|  + MinCache: 1
|  + Video track
|   + Pixel width: 712
|   + Pixel height: 440
|   + Display width: 843
|   + Display height: 440
| + A track
|  + Track number: 2 (track ID for mkvmerge & mkvextract: 1)
|  + Track UID: 1408
|  + Track type: audio
|  + Codec ID: A_AC3
|  + Language: eng
|  + Default flag: 1
|  + Audio track
|   + Sampling frequency: 48000
|   + Channels: 6
| + A track
|  + Track number: 3 (track ID for mkvmerge & mkvextract: 2)
|  + Track UID: 4081
|  + Track type: subtitles
|  + Codec ID: S_VOBSUB
|  + CodecPrivate, length 349
|  + Language: eng
|  + Default flag: 0

Edited by Kramerika

LOL

@@Kramerika if you PM me the email address associated with the Amazon account on that device, I can add you to the beta and you can see if this fixes your issue.  You will need to enable all marketing communications from Amazon at least temporarily in order for the invite to get to you.  Thanks.

Kramerika

Sent!  I could try recreating the file in compressing it again minus the subtitle and see if it plays.  I might do that before trying the beta.

Sent!  I could try recreating the file in compressing it again minus the subtitle and see if it plays.  I might do that before trying the beta.

No, please try the beta first as I want to see if it solves the problem.  If you remove the problem we'll never know :).

Kramerika

It all works!  Thank you!  Any chance I can get this for the Shield TV too?  Hope you do an official release soon if not.

The odd thing is that I did try a version of the movie not including subtitles, and it had the same issue.  That makes me skeptical that subtitles was the issue.  In any case, it is fixed with the current version.  You rock!

Okay, great.  As soon as I'm comfortable that enough folks have run this for a few days such that there aren't any gotchas, I'll promote this version to production.

• 1 month later...
crystalgipsy

Ok my Fire Original TV updated this week to the latest version of the OS. I can no longer get any 5.1 audio at all just 2.0 for both DD and DTS. Currently using the latest beta release. Is this a known limitation or is something amiss.

Edited by crystalgipsy

Is this a Fire TV Stick or actual Fire TV?

What is it connected to and how?

DD will be 2.0 but DTS and AAC should be 5.1.  However, none of that is changed between the two versions of FireOS...

crystalgipsy

Is this a Fire TV Stick or actual Fire TV?

What is it connected to and how?

DD will be 2.0 but DTS and AAC should be 5.1.  However, none of that is changed between the two versions of FireOS...

1st gen FireTV  with latest 5.0.5 firmware hooked up to my AV amp via HDMI no 5.1 for DTS or DD just plain old 2.0. It worked before the update. 

Edited by crystalgipsy

Can you give me a specific example of something for which this is happening?

Is it direct playing or transcoding (OSD tells you)?

crystalgipsy

Can you give me a specific example of something for which this is happening?

Is it direct playing or transcoding (OSD tells you)?

Direct playing any of my MKV's . Audio is on Direct in settings and using VLC Player. My server is running on QNAP and running 3.0.5871.0

Edited by crystalgipsy

I mean a specific example of an item for which this is happening.  What is its exact format?  What does the media info in the web app detail page say?

crystalgipsy

Its a h.264 mkv with DTS audio  nothing out of the ordinary and its for any file I have which are all pretty much the same format.

Video
CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1920x960
Aspect ratio2:1
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate18555 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames4

Audio
Languageeng
CodecDCA
ProfileDTS
Layout5.1
Channels6 ch
Bitrate1500 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes

crystalgipsy

Try re-starting the Fire TV while the receiver is powered on.

No difference must be the app under the new OS. Works fine for both DD and DTS on the shield now though.

Edited by crystalgipsy

Okay.  There is at least one other person having the same problem but I have yet to reproduce it (except for being able to fix it by rebooting the Fire).

I'll have to do more investigation.

AmericanCrisis

Will the new Fire TV direct play a DTS-HD or DTS encoded BD rip?  All the DTS-HD rips have a DTS track too.  How about a TrueHD BD rip?  Same with the TrueHD (there is a DD track as well).  Will they Direct Play?

What are you calling a "BD rip"?

It is not going to direct play folder structure rips (BDMV).

• Like 1

AmericanCrisis

What are you calling a "BD rip"?

It is not going to direct play folder structure rips (BDMV).

I used makemkv to put the main title into an MKV container.  Each file has 2-3 audio tracks (DTS-HD/DTS or TrueHD/DD).  No BDMV or ISO.

Ronski

Ok my Fire Original TV updated this week to the latest version of the OS. I can no longer get any 5.1 audio at all just 2.0 for both DD and DTS. Currently using the latest beta release. Is this a known limitation or is something amiss.

I'm the other person having this problem, I hadn't used Emby much until recently, I'm sure this didn't happen when I played with Emby last year.

My thread is here

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/31977-emby-only-plays-pcm-stereo/