meatrack

z31fanatic

Anyone buying this to use XBMC better read up because it isn't a matter of installing it from a store. You need to root the device and will have to do it over every time there is an update.

Wrong. You don't need root to install xbmc. You simply sideload it.

Spaceboy

Your definition of simply does not meet WAF standards. In fact that is the problem full stop with xbmc IMO. It's designed for single people that don't need to explain their setup

Vidman

Your definition of simply does not meet WAF standards. In fact that is the problem full stop with xbmc IMO. It's designed for single people that don't need to explain their setup

Who is your reply directed at? Do you mean in your opinion it doesnt meet WAF standards? Is there a definitive definition of these standards somewhere we can refer to? :P

Spaceboy

my reply was clearly directed at the person that used the word "simply" to describe the sideloading process. that sort of terminology designates you as single. as does your response.

common sense dictates the requirements of WAF, but you didn't get the simply reference either, so i think i'm preaching to the unconvertible

Vidman

Well I think WAF refers to usage rather than setup. Once xbmc is setup to your liking it is very usable... Granted setting up can be complicated but that is a side effect of being very customisable

Edited by Vidman

Agreed, my issues with the Roku are mainly interface related (the childish nature of the skin is the ugly reference).

However, does the Roku support AC3 and DTS?

Can you have de-interlacing enabled for Live TV broadcasts or will have I have dreaded interlace lines?

From my experience, and I admit it's not exhaustive, the Roku falls down in this areas....

If by support you mean passthrough, then yes - I get AC3 and DTS passthrough on my Rokus.  I don't watch a lot of Live TV through mine, but I have yet to notice any interlacing either.

Spot on Vidman...usage is what I was referring to in regards to WAF...take it to the next step with a Harmony Remote to have the surround, TV, and Fire TV all come up with one button and yeah...bloody hell it meets with the WAF..

Setting up a Fire TV is just as simple as a ROKU, actually easier...side-loading XBMC and setting it up to your liking is a bit of work (the side loading any novice can do)....setting up XBMC can be simple or complex depending how configurable and to your liking you'd like it to be...

bottom line, once set up is high on the WAF...so simple my 2 and a half year old can use it...

-SM

breezytm

I must agree, setting up the fire tv with xbmc and life tv is definitely WAF. My girlfriend loves the fact that she can watch contents from all her apps and live tv from the same box. Setting up xbmc is hell. It always has been. Unless one copy the .xbmc folder from one device and move it to the next. It was pain to get things going but once I got everything working as well as they do now even my little nephew and niece came over last weekend and figured it out on their own. 5 & 8. If they can get it and my girlfriend couldn't get it it would of been time to say our goodbyes lol

Roku must certainly consider changing the GUI. I got rid of mine because of it.

MrWebsmith

i have xbmc running well but on my firetv, but how did you all get swmc enabled and working for it.. any tricks.. it wont seem to install the pvr plugin for it from the main repo... worked fine on my other xbmb3c setup downstairs.. just the firetv cant seem to do it..

Spaceboy

Well I think WAF refers to usage rather than setup. Once xbmc is setup to your liking it is very usable... Granted setting up can be complicated but that is a side effect of being very customisable

well of course you do because your argument has no substance otherwise. however most people would acknowledge that set up is a key part of the user experience. xbmc equates to android in this situation and things like a roku are apple.

Spot on Vidman...usage is what I was referring to in regards to WAF...take it to the next step with a Harmony Remote to have the surround, TV, and Fire TV all come up with one button and yeah...bloody hell it meets with the WAF..

Setting up a Fire TV is just as simple as a ROKU, actually easier...side-loading XBMC and setting it up to your liking is a bit of work (the side loading any novice can do)....setting up XBMC can be simple or complex depending how configurable and to your liking you'd like it to be...

bottom line, once set up is high on the WAF...so simple my 2 and a half year old can use it...

-SM

no, its clearly not. going into the app store and clicking install is not the same as sideloading something.  and again you are willfully ignoring the bit of the argument that doesn't fit. once set up is high on the WAF, thats like saying once we have world peace all will be fine, lets just overlook the insurmountable!

I beg to differ Spaceboy...we tech people that run the MediaBrowser backend (be it the wife or the husband, or one partner or the other to be politically correct, in a household) are capable of setting 'things' up...that's a fact or you wouldn't be in this forum...the other half in the relationship often wants 'nothing' to do with all this nonsense other than to USE it....this OTHER half don't give a toss how hard or simple the backend or device they're using is to setup...what they want is something that is simple to use, reliable and pretty...

YOU are the one that is ignoring the fact that some skills are required to set up a MediaBrowser server, a TV server, link them together, getting the content downloaded automatically or uploaded from ones collection etc. etc.....by your definition that is all too hard too so we should all just give up because it doesn't meet the WAF, so until it is as easy as setting up a default ROKU when should all forget this endeavour.  This is one more link in the relatively hard, albeit getting easier day by day, task of getting the whole solution set up...side loading XMBC on to a Fire TV compared the aforementioned is darn easy, just because it slightly harder than a ROKU doesn't mean it isn't worth while, it is worth while in 'my opinion' because XMBC is a VASTLY nicely interface....if ROKU would just update their SDK allowing for a nicer graphically rich interface (and decent horizontal grid option) without all the restrictions then I'll take another look...until then I'll stick away from ROKU.

WAF factor (maybe we should change that to PAF) is based on usability...not setup..THAT is a clear fact...

-SM

Edited by Scot
  • Like 1

Spaceboy

Well you differ then but stop wondering why people do not like xmbc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Spaceboy

dark_slayer

There's plenty of people that don't like htpcs at all

Given that preference though, I can see how those people wouldn't like MB3 or Plex since the only thing that can be installed from a "store" are client apps. That type of person can't install mb3 server from the windows or osx store, so they can't use mb3 server at all since it has to be sideloaded

Vidman

I would argue that you differ :P

Spaceboy

Not sure what you mean. Look there are repeatedly questions of why people don't like xbmc. As one of those people I tell you why and you tell me I'm wrong. About my own opinions.

I think that ends the discussion

dark_slayer

I think you could eventually see MBS on android

I think an arm server could be really cool. I'm not aware of the hardware capacity for large storage arrays in arm yet, but I guess if you wanted microserver running a bunch of USB HDDs off a USB hub then it could be a reality today

breezytm

How is setting up XBMC any different than setting MBS or Plex Media Server and their clients? I heard a lot of people talked about the fact they don't like XBMC because of the complicated setup and I personally just don't get it. Then again that's just my opinion, there isn't any difference. Specially when you have XBMC setup with a sql server or upnp.

Edited by breezytm
  • Like 1

Man, SpaceBoy you change your argument midstream, or at least grapple at something else to poo poo....first it was XBMC on the FireTV is a no go because it isn't in the Amazon Store (so Sideloading was all too hard in your opinion) now it is that XMBC is all too hard...

Oh, and my whole point was WAF!!!! You even tried to say that a wife would say no because of it being a 'hard setup'...we all merely pointed out that it was NOT the set up but the usability ONCE step up that matters to the none technical users in the house...

It's your opinion, more would disagree with than agree with you in a tech type forum like this...

Whatever....

Edited by Scot

Quickly going back to the FireTV and the MB plugin.   Is it close? Is there going to be a public beta to test a native MB client?   Inquiring minds want to know! 

Thanks

• Like 1

dark_slayer

Wouldnt that pair well with a packaged NAS like a Synology or WD? The server could run on an old phone/tablet and access the storage without needing a computer on all of the time?

Or better yet, run right on the Android router?

Yeah, I suppose arm based nas solutions have been around for a while

I was thinking more diy where you can get a tegra or snapdragon board and load up windowsrt or Linux since you get considerably more control than just waiting to see if the software you want to use can be "rolled" for your particular nas manufacturer

Edited by dark_slayer

thefranklin

I think an arm server could be really cool. I'm not aware of the hardware capacity for large storage arrays in arm yet, but I guess if you wanted microserver running a bunch of USB HDDs off a USB hub then it could be a reality today

Wouldnt that pair well with a packaged NAS like a Synology or WD? The server could run on an old phone/tablet and access the storage without needing a computer on all of the time?

Or better yet, run right on the Android router?

Edited by thefranklin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...