"Auto" for Android Mobile over Mobile data or external Wi-Fi issues

Richard Branches

Richard Branches

Ok, i still have not been able to reproduce but will try to hunt it down. Thanks.

Please let me know when you finally fix it, I'm not using Emby on my phone right now because I really can't listen to music when I'm out.

• 3 weeks later...

Have you configured a remote streaming bitrate limit in advanced server settings?

Richard Branches

Have you configured a remote streaming bitrate limit in advanced server settings?

You may not remember but it has always been 0.5, however, now that I have a faster upload speed I set it to 6.5 but higher quality songs (usually 192Khz) are also getting transcoded into FLAC.

Can you either attach the corresponding server log from the ffmpeg log above, or make a new example and attach both the server and ffmpeg logs? i have a couple theories i want to look at. thanks.

Actually just to save us both time, if the log is not in debug mode, then please enable debug logging, restart the server, then repeat the test. thanks.

Richard Branches

Actually just to save us both time, if the log is not in debug mode, then please enable debug logging, restart the server, then repeat the test. thanks.

Done.

Internet quality: Auto

Internet streaming bitrate limit (Mbps): 0.5

I renamed the external IP to XXX.XXX.XXX.XX for security...

embyserver.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-223a39f5-c8c9-46e0-916b-b41cc1de4bcb_1.txt

Edited by Richard Branches

• 4 weeks later...
Richard Branches

Hey @@Luke!, I was testing the web app to find out if this problem was there but I've been playing music for a while using mobile data and the upload limitation set to 0,5 and guess what? it's not transcoding to FLAC anymore!, did you finally fix it?.  Take a look at the attached logs!. I'm gonna have to use the web app while you fix the Android app!  :D Please let me know when it's ready!.

5d5a13bb976b6_transcoding2.png

5d5a114392488_transcoding.png

ffmpeg-transcode-02d37961-547d-4f34-842a-e222c6fbffe1_1.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-0d094726-478d-4ffc-809a-c5e04c3979c9_1.txt

Richard Branches

Thanks for the info.

Don't forget that even if this is working now, the mobile quality menu to save data is still needed...  :D

Richard Branches

Today is my second day testing the web app and I'm pretty happy with it, it's been transcoding the music correctly, so I may consider this topic as "Resolved", there are however four feature requests still pending to make it the best out there:

1) Support for internal equalizers:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/55871-bring-support-for-internal-equalizers

2) Separate quality setting for mobile data

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/75611-android-mobile-separate-quality-setting-for-mobile-data/

3)  Minimum playback for "Recently Played" and minimum play count for "Frequently Played":

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/76035-emby-servers-please-add-playback-settings-for-music/

4) improve the "now playing" music screen

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/56846-android-mobile-please-improve-the-now-playing-music-screen/

Thank you @@ebr and @@Luke.

Richard Branches

I mean those are unrelated.

Yes, I know, I just wanted you not to forget them and place them strategically in your list of priorities.

Richard Branches

Question: I installed the update to version 3.0.73 of Android Mobile and I've been playing some 24 bit songs and I noticed something:

My current upload limitation is 6.5 Mbps and the web app transcode every single 44.1/24bit song and higher to the appropiate AAC bitrate, the reason could be:

- They are above the upload limitation

- The web app doesn't support 24 bit audio

- All of the above.

The thing is, on the Android Mobile app it looks like you already deployed the fix from the web app because they are not getting transcoded into FLAC itself anymore but they aren't getting transcoded into AAC either by the above reasons.

Take a look at the attached log using the web app.

ffmpeg-transcode-9e103a4d-b030-48e5-a482-1a3024fd1b08_1.txt

Richard Branches

The web app has a limit I think excluding 24bit, so it will transcode no matter what.

Understood, but on the Android Mobile those songs stutter a little because, I don't know, they are too high?, I guess they should get transcoded instead.

Richard Branches

Have you tried lowering the quality setting?

It's on Auto so I assumed they were going to be transcoded automatically by the quality of the connection at that very moment.

Richard Branches

Since I'm using mobile data, you know it's not always stable, that's why the "mobile data" quality setting is a must, I'm going to test those songs with an external WiFi to see how it goes and I'll let you know.

Since I'm using mobile data, you know it's not always stable(...)

That's why adaptive/on-the-fly streaming according to the available bandwidth would be a bless, especially with HEVC.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Richard Branches

And I was believing this problem was fixed for good but no, (on mobile data) it's randomly transcoding into FLAC itself even in the web app...  :(

I haven't had the time to test this with an external WiFi but I'm sure it's the same problem... or worse.

ffmpeg-transcode-8918ca87-916f-470b-a9e7-41b0251fa0eb_1.txt