Android Mobile - Separate quality setting for mobile data

Richard Branches

Richard Branches

Since "Auto" won't help me save Mobile Data, I have to manually switch the quality to 128Kbps when listening to music and 360p when watching a video, but I have to switch it again to "Auto" if I'm connected to an external WiFi because I won't be worry about any data limitation, however, it's annoying going back and forth changing those settings everytime I need it, so there should be another menu for Mobile Data.

Besides the current "Internet Quality" menu, my suggestion is to add another menu for both music and video, labeled "Mobile Data Quality", with the same options inside:

Music:

Internet quality: Auto, 64 Kbps, 96 Kbps, 128 Kbps, 192 Kbps, 256 Kbps, 320 Kbps, 512 Kbps, 1 Mbps, 1.5 Mbps, 2 Mbps

Mobile data quality: Auto, 64 Kbps, 96 Kbps, 128 Kbps, 192 Kbps, 256 Kbps, 320 Kbps, 512 Kbps, 1 Mbps, 1.5 Mbps, 2 Mbps

Video:

Internet quality: Auto, 144p, 240p, 360p, 480p - 420 Kbps, 480p - 720 Kbps, 480p - 1 Mbps, 720p - 1.5 Mbps, 720p - 2 Mbps, 720p - 3 mbps, 720p - 4 Mbps, 1080p - 4 Mbps, 1080p - 5 Mbps, 1080p - 6 Mbps, 1080p - 8 Mbps, 1080p - 10 Mbps, 1080p - 15 Mbps, 1080p - 20 Mbps, 1080p - 25 Mbps, 1080p - 30 Mbps, 1080p - 40 Mbps, 1080p - 50 Mbps, 1080p - 60 Mbps, 4K - 40 Mbps, 4K - 60 Mbps, 4K - 80 Mbps, 4K - 100 Mbps, 4K - 120 Mbps.

Mobile data quality: Auto, 144p, 240p, 360p, 480p - 420 Kbps, 480p - 720 Kbps, 480p - 1 Mbps, 720p - 1.5 Mbps, 720p - 2 Mbps, 720p - 3 mbps, 720p - 4 Mbps, 1080p - 4 Mbps, 1080p - 5 Mbps, 1080p - 6 Mbps, 1080p - 8 Mbps, 1080p - 10 Mbps, 1080p - 15 Mbps, 1080p - 20 Mbps, 1080p - 25 Mbps, 1080p - 30 Mbps, 1080p - 40 Mbps, 1080p - 50 Mbps, 1080p - 60 Mbps, 4K - 40 Mbps, 4K - 60 Mbps, 4K - 80 Mbps, 4K - 100 Mbps, 4K - 120 Mbps.

Edited by Richard Branches

improve the "Auto" setting to ALWAYS transcode every single song to a low quality file when users are on mobile data

Then other users will complain about transcoding. That's why we have the quality options. IF auto is too high or too low, then simply choose the value that is best for you in the app's settings.

Richard Branches

Then other users will complain about transcoding. That's why we have the quality options. IF auto is too high or too low, then simply choose the value that is best for you in the app's settings.

That's OK and I guess those complaining maybe have unlimited data, but what about the others?, I don't think those complaining are the majority...

Besides, that is annoying, there should be a "set and forget" setting like I said above.

there should be a "set and forget" setting like I said above.

Yes there is, the internet quality setting in the app.

Richard Branches

You can also add a mobile setting menu with the same quality options found in the current menu, but they should operate independently.

Richard Branches

Yes there is, the internet quality setting in the app.

Like I said, you can also add a separate mobile settings menu with the same quality options found in the current "Internet" menu, but they should operate independently, that way, when I'm connected to an external WiFi I could select "Auto" in the "internet" menu and "128Kbps" in the mobile data menu.

The idea is to avoid going into settings every time I'm on mobile data.

Richard Branches

It should be like this, both "Internet" and "Mobile data" quality settings working independently:

Music:

Internet quality: Auto, 64 Kbps, 96 Kbps, 128 Kbps, 192 Kbps, 256 Kbps, 320 Kbps, 512 Kbps, 1 Mbps, 1.5 Mbps, 2 Mbps

Mobile data quality: Auto, 64 Kbps, 96 Kbps, 128 Kbps, 192 Kbps, 256 Kbps, 320 Kbps, 512 Kbps, 1 Mbps, 1.5 Mbps, 2 Mbps

Video:

Internet quality: Auto, 144p, 240p, 360p, 480p - 420 Kbps, 480p - 720 Kbps, 480p - 1 Mbps, 720p - 1.5 Mbps, 720p - 2 Mbps, 720p - 3 mbps, 720p - 4 Mbps, 1080p - 4 Mbps, 1080p - 5 Mbps, 1080p - 6 Mbps, 1080p - 8 Mbps, 1080p - 10 Mbps, 1080p - 15 Mbps, 1080p - 20 Mbps, 1080p - 25 Mbps, 1080p - 30 Mbps, 1080p - 40 Mbps, 1080p - 50 Mbps, 1080p - 60 Mbps, 4K - 40 Mbps, 4K - 60 Mbps, 4K - 80 Mbps, 4K - 100 Mbps, 4K - 120 Mbps.

Mobile data quality: Auto, 144p, 240p, 360p, 480p - 420 Kbps, 480p - 720 Kbps, 480p - 1 Mbps, 720p - 1.5 Mbps, 720p - 2 Mbps, 720p - 3 mbps, 720p - 4 Mbps, 1080p - 4 Mbps, 1080p - 5 Mbps, 1080p - 6 Mbps, 1080p - 8 Mbps, 1080p - 10 Mbps, 1080p - 15 Mbps, 1080p - 20 Mbps, 1080p - 25 Mbps, 1080p - 30 Mbps, 1080p - 40 Mbps, 1080p - 50 Mbps, 1080p - 60 Mbps, 4K - 40 Mbps, 4K - 60 Mbps, 4K - 80 Mbps, 4K - 100 Mbps, 4K - 120 Mbps.

Richard Branches

Changed title of topic/request to be more on point.

You're right!, thank you!.

neik

If the solution is to us adjust it manually then what is the "auto" for?

Auto is intended to get you the best possible quality based on the connection.

Richard Branches

If the solution is to us adjust it manually then what is the "auto" for?

Because both "External WiFi" and "Mobile Data" are in the same menu, but it's annoying going into setting everytime we want to switch between the two, so having a separate setting for mobile data is better.

Richard Branches

Auto is intended to get you the best possible quality based on the connection.

Yeah, but it seems to benefit only to external WiFi connections.

Yeah, but it seems to benefit only to external WiFi connections.

No, it benefits all connections in the purpose for which it is designed.  It will get you the best possible quality for the connection speed.

The auto setting is not designed to minimize your data use.  There is no way for us to do this "automatically" because we have no way to know what you want your data use to be.  So, you would need to use a specific setting to tell the app that - and that is now what this request is for.

Auto should stay the way it is.

Richard Branches

No, it benefits all connections in the purpose for which it is designed.  It will get you the best possible quality for the connection speed.

The auto setting is not designed to minimize your data use.  There is no way for us to do this "automatically" because we have no way to know what you want your data use to be.  So, you would need to use a specific setting to tell the app that - and that is now what this request is for.

Auto should stay the way it is.

Thank you for clarifying that a separate mobile data menu is indeed needed to help save data without the hassle of changing this manually everytime we need it, I hope you implement it very soon.

neik

Because both "External WiFi" and "Mobile Data" are in the same menu, but it's annoying going into setting everytime we want to switch between the two, so having a separate setting for mobile data is better.

I don't use mobile data (only synced stuff) but that makes sense, I guess.

• Like 1

Richard Branches

but that raises the question what to do on metered external wifis?

You can set the threshold manually, from auto to the quality you want from the "Internet quality" menu.

daedalus

and if you eg alter between metered, unmetered wifi and mobile, the next "wants" a new option to cover that and not to have to do manually

don't get me wrong, this is not so easy

maybe an easy accessible "data saver" option could be a solution

Richard Branches

and if you eg alter between metered, unmetered wifi and mobile, the next "wants" a new option to cover that and not to have to do manually

don't get me wrong, this is not so easy

maybe an easy accessible "data saver" option could be a solution

Every single music app (Google Play Music, Spotify, Deezer, YouTube Music, etc.) and video apps (Netflix, Prime Video, etc.) has two separate quality options, so why not Emby?.

Besides external metered WiFi connections are not that common so why bother to have another setting for that?

Believe it or not but mobile data is becoming more used to listen/watch to music/video than WiFi at home.

daedalus

Every single music app (Google Play Music, Spotify, Deezer, YouTube Music, etc.) and video apps (Netflix, Prime Video, etc.) has two separate quality options, so why not Emby?.

these services work different than your home media server

Besides external metered WiFi connections are not that common so why bother to have another setting for that?
why consider just your problem and not all use cases?

Believe it or not but mobile data is becoming more used to listen/watch to music/video than WiFi at home.

we are not talking about mobile vs home

Richard Branches

these services work different than your home media server

I know! and I'm not comparing them!, but they all have a basic function every Emby mobile app must have: A "set and forget" option or menu to help users save MOBILE DATA, period.

By the way, I remember some day having my computer (Fedora 29) connected to my phone by using the hotspot feature and I went to Gnome Software to check on any new software updates, when I clicked on the button, a warning message appeared saying I was using a WiFi "metered" connection, I suppose Emby apps should also display a similar warning to inform users to make the appropriate change of bitrate in the "Internet" quality menu.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Richard Branches

The new PlexAmp app created only for music has the separate quality menus for WiFi and Mobile data (see below screenshot), I hope Emby app doesn't get behind with this necessary option...

5ea1c6f5bc682_MusicQuality.png