"Auto" for Android Mobile over Mobile data or external Wi-Fi issues

Richard Branches

Richard Branches

No, I don't usually do that, but I can't answer that right now because that's not the problem, I actually talked about that in this topic I guess, I don't remember, but they said the app or the sever still didn't have the ability to switch between both types of connections back then, I don't know currently...

Edited by Richard Branches

Richard Branches

I was testing the Android app yesterday and it apparently was working fine with the transcoding, it's just that I still haven't been able to figure out in what moment it stops working with the transcoding situation, I will keep testing it and provide feedback.

• Like 1

Richard Branches

I'm testing the app at this moment and it's not transcoding, is there a way you can check on your end why?

Would the server log help in any way?

Richard Branches

@Lukeand @ebrI just found out that something breaks between the server and the Android app after sometime that the server is running without using the app and the only way to fix this is by restarting the server again and again, the web app is not affected by this.

Steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Run the server

2. Open the Android app on the phone, making sure that the phone is using the mobile data and not the local WiFi connection.

3. Start playback, the app starts transcoding the media above the limitation set in the sever and/or according to the download speed of the mobile data.

4. Stop using the app, leaving the server running.

5. After some unspecified amount of time I start the Android app again and start playing the media (still connected to mobile data) and I notice that transcoding doesn't work anymore so I have to restart the server again.

Richard Branches

Looks like I found the exact reason of the problem 😂:

I set my Windows 11 laptop to turn OFF the screen after 5 minutes of inactivity when it's connected to the charger or in 3 minutes of inactivity when it's using the battery, therefore, the problem happens when the screen turns OFF after the aforementioned inactivity time, when I turn it back ON, transcoding doesn't work anymore so I have to restart the server to fix it.

The web app is not affected by this as I already mentioned.

Richard Branches

Sometimes transcoding doesn't work even after restarting the server, something is getting broken between the app and server, the web app is completely excluded of all these issues.

Hi Richard,

In the Transcoding menu, can you tell us if the following two options at the bottom are checked or not checked (enabled/disabled).

Enable throttling
Allow subtitle extraction on the fly

When playback stops, if you look at the server, does the file continue to be transcoded until it's finished the complete file?

Carlo

Richard Branches

Hello Carlo,

"Enable throttling" is unchecked

"Allow subtitle extraction on the fly" is checked

1 hour ago, Carlo said:

When playback stops, if you look at the server, does the file continue to be transcoded until it's finished the complete file?

I had to use the web app to be able to answer your question because the Android app is refusing to transcode anything at this moment:

When I start to play anything and press stop, transcoding also stops right away and that doesn't affect playback in any way if I start it again.

I hope that answers your question...

8 hours ago, Richard Branches said:

Sometimes transcoding doesn't work even after restarting the server

Maybe you're trying to play as soon as the server is started. If you try to play while things are starting up you could get an error. It's something we are looking at improving, but on slower hardware it's more noticeable.

Richard Branches

Absolutely not, that doesn't happen with the web app, I can start playback as soon as the server is ready and transcoding always works perfectly.

2 minutes ago, Richard Branches said:

Absolutely not, that doesn't happen with the web app, I can start playback as soon as the server is ready and transcoding always works perfectly.

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Richard Branches

Please check out this video where you can see the difference between the web app and the Android app and don't tell me that the hi-res song gets transcoded just because it's the web app, I've tested the web app while connected to a high speed external WiFi connection and no transcoding was needed because the download speed was fast enough to play the song directly.

I'm not sure why the audio didn't get recorded when using the web app, at least you can hear that playback stutters when using the Android app since it's trying to play it directly over a slow mobile data connection.

The log file shows this:

2023-10-30 12:29:30.265 Info Server: http/1.1 GET http://‌‍‍x.x.x.x:8096/emby/Audio/13077/universal?UserId=65bfe937333b407ba39658c8518f28a8&DeviceId=47f437986a5d865b&MaxStreamingBitrate=6583500&TranscodingContainer=ts&TranscodingProtocol=hls&AudioCodec=aac&api_key=‌e3d05ca4af904b3a9441631d04ef54ef‌&PlaySessionId=1698686887873&StartTimeTicks=0&EnableRedirection=true&EnableRemoteMedia=false. UserAgent: Emby/3.3.40 (Linux;Android 12) ExoPlayerLib/2.18.7

This looks like it's trying to use standard streaming for playback from web vs trying to play the file progressively.

Edited by Carlo
  • Confused 1

Richard Branches

Could you please edit your message and delete the external IP from there!!!??????!?!?!?!?!? 😱😱😱😱😱😱

I thought I had deleted it from there...

• Facepalm 1

Richard Branches

Please delete the comment where the file is, I see it has been downloaded at least 4 times, please deleted it!!!

Richard Branches
On 10/31/2023 at 10:09 PM, Richard Branches said:

I already attached the server log, there are no transcoding logs, please check the latest lines in the file, it could tell you anything.

It's still in this one!!!

OMG what did I do!!!!

😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

Richard Branches

I hope you guys are very cautious with this, I actually exposed my entire network to anyone here 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭