"Auto" for Android Mobile over Mobile data or external Wi-Fi issues

Richard Branches

Richard Branches

Well I misunderstood because I thought you were already doing that.

I didn't know there was a setting for this otherwise I wouldn't create this post in the first place, thank you anyway  ;)

Richard Branches
On 28/02/2018 at 21:21, Luke said:

Ok, I tested this with both the android app and the web app. Inside the apps I set all playback qualities to Auto. Then on the server i set the internet streaming bitrate limit to:

Then I tried to play some flac files, and in all cases the flac files were transcoded.

Hello, I didn't have the time to test this until today but it didn't work, I found the option under users and set it as you suggested:

5a9f31f5bb873_users.png

And also under Playback -> Streaming:

5a9f3230c390b_playback.png

Then I tested different flac files and they were played directly, I tested this under an external wifi connection. Didn't work.

Edited by Richard Branches

Richard Branches

Ok, I tested this with both the android app and the web app. Inside the apps I set all playback qualities to Auto. Then on the server i set the internet streaming bitrate limit to:

Then I tried to play some flac files, and in all cases the flac files were transcoded.

I forgot to ask you: If this setting is necessary for transcoding to work then why the videos (movies, tv shows or personal videos libraries) are getting transcoded correctly without setting this up?

Richard Branches

Because they are much higher bitrate than music.

I see... so, what's the problem with the music then?

Richard Branches

They are much lower bitrate and probably fit under the detected bandwidth.

A 192Khz/24bit FLAC cannot be considered as a lower bitrate file, those are the most I've tested to see the capabilities of the server/transcoder, there must be something wrong definitely.

​Besides, all FLAC files stutter a lot.

Edited by delacosta78

Richard Branches

I just hope you fix the issue with embedded images that pushes the total container bitrate beyond 320kbps, I will be satisfied with that.

Hello, I didn't have the time to test this until today but it didn't work, I found the option under users and set it as you suggested:

5a9f31f5bb873_users.png

And also under Playback -> Streaming:

5a9f3230c390b_playback.png

Then I tested different flac files and they were played directly, I tested this under mobile data and an external wifi connection. Didn't work.

Could that be an input format problem?  Can you try "0.5"?  Or, perhaps, the bitrates really are under 1/2 Mb...

Richard Branches

Could that be an input format problem?  Can you try "0.5"?  Or, perhaps, the bitrates really are under 1/2 Mb...

I enter 0.5 but the server changes itself to 0,5

Richard Branches

perhaps, the bitrates really are under 1/2 Mb...

My internet upload speed is around 1 Mbps, so that should be around 100 kb/s and the songs I've tried are higher than that, like this one:

Extracted from MediaInfo:

Coldplay - A Head Full of Dreams.flac
Format: FLAC
Format/Info: Free Lossless Audio Codec
File size: 141 MiB
Duration: 3 min 43 s
Overall bit rate mode: Variable
Overall bit rate: 5.302 kb/s
Album: A Head Full of Dreams
Album/Performer: Coldplay
Track name: A Head Full of Dreams
Track name/Position: 1
Performer: Coldplay
Genre: Pop
Recorded date: 2015
Cover: Yes
Cover type: Cover (front)
Cover MIME: image/jpeg
Edited by delacosta78

I enter 0.5 but the server changes itself to 0,5

It might just be localized formatting in the browser. can you provide a server log when trying to play? thanks.

Richard Branches

It might just be localized formatting in the browser. can you provide a server log when trying to play? thanks.

Here's the server log from yesterday, when I made the test it was around 2-4 pm local time (UTC -05:00).

server-63655946139.txt

Richard Branches

Hello, today I tested this again with mobile data and all the songs I played were transcoded, so the issue seems to be with external wifi connections, I'm going to keep testing this between today and tomorrow to confirm...

5aa7095e867e6_Transcoding.png

By the way, you need to optimize the app for phones with 1Gb of memory or less, when a song starts to play, the info of the previous song remains and the loop circle takes too much time to update.

Edited by Richard Branches

Richard Branches

All right, it wasn't necessary to wait until tomorrow to complete the testing using "Auto" :

On mobile data: if the first song I start to play is FLAC then everything get transcoded including MP3s when they shouldn't and if the first song I start to play is an MP3 then it plays directly, but FLACs don't get transcoded.

On external Wifi: FLACs don't get transcoded and MP3s play directly as expected.

Edited by delacosta78

Richard Branches

and the ffmpeg log for the mp3?

There's three logs: One is of the mp3 file that was transcoded after several flac files were transcoded and two logs from flac files that didn't get transcoded after an mp3 file was played directly.

ffmpeg-transcode-7dea1ddf-4539-413f-a7c9-7d2106959d8f.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-60134b40-1cd3-41e9-a148-7a5f393c6f97.txt

ffmpeg-transcode-c48a23cc-981c-4da3-9da5-3b5b02dc1d34.txt

Edited by delacosta78

the mp3 transcoded because the max streaming bitrate is set to 315000 and the mp3 bitrate is higher than that.

Richard Branches

the mp3 transcoded because the max streaming bitrate is set to 315000 and the mp3 bitrate is higher than that.

What is the criteria for that? why they never get transcoded if I play them first or of if I play only mp3 files? I tested several songs in mp3 and never got transcoded but if I play them mixed with flac files they get transcoded along the way.

Edited by delacosta78

Richard Branches

That's probably the value that the bandwidth measurements came up with.

I don't get it, if I play one mp3 file first, then flac files doesn't get transcoded and if I play one flac file first, then mp3 files get transcoded when they shouldn't because their bitrate is big enough to be uploaded through my limited internet upload speed.

I always thought the transcoder was taking into account first the upload speed and then determine if the file needs to be transcoded or not by its bitrate independently.

Edited by delacosta78

Richard Branches

That's probably the value that the bandwidth measurements came up with.

The upload limit set in the server is 0.5 or 500Kbps, everything beyond that limit should be transcoded, mp3s are limited to 320Kbps so they don't get transcoded for obvious reasons, however, flac files are always higher than the limitation, the flac file with the smallest bitrate in my music library is 579Kbps so this file and the rest of the flac files must be transcoded.

This should work exactly the same as with videos, I noticed they always get transcoded because their bitrate are always bigger than the limitation, I still haven't found a video in my library with a smaller bitrate to test this thoroughly.

Edited by delacosta78