New QNAP Package for Testing

Luke

@@syplex can you please describe the issue that you're having? thanks.

The video quality is very poor and blocky and really bad when there is movement or sudden changes.  This is in Apple TV 4th gen and an Apple TV 4K.  It looks like it is a highly compressed low bitrate stream versus the full-bitrate MKV I ripped.  It looks good when I play in the web player or in PLEX when played at "full quality".

The app is requesting a very low video bitrate, so check your bitrate setting in the apple tv app. Also make sure the apple tv app is fully up to date because we pushed out some fixes a few days ago related to this.

joelang6126

I understand but I'm also asking you to describe what happened in your own words. Thanks !

The issue is that Transcoding is still using huge amounts of CPU with no difference in utilization levels on or off. As you can see in the log the VAAPI operation fails.

That is the new default value going forward but it sounds like you must have installed this new package in it's early days before the default value changed.

plexrefugee

Hi, thanks for your efforts here, would love to get this working on my NAS

I installed 3.2.36.0 on my TVS-1282 but unfortunately the server is not accessible at https://X.XX.XX.XX:8920/

I see dotnet process running and listening on port 8920 

I tried to reboot 

issue still remains

does the app have any dependencies?

Server logs attached

EDIT - checked the logs myself and can access on port 8096 (not using ssl) so presume I have the same SSL issues reported above

server-63646286603.txt

Edited by plexrefugee

Hi,

New Emby user. Very impressed with Emby performance (on 2011 i-7 iMac). What a change from trying to use Plex.

In addition to the iMac, have a Shield and Qnap 251A to utilize as servers. I would rather not run Emby 24/7 on iMac, thus would rather use either Shield or Qnap. As Emby currently doesn’t support Shield installations, I’m interested in utilizing Qnap (although it is a low level NAS). Primarily running to iOS and tvOS clients.

Currently, I am able to use the Qnap as a server for Channels DVR. In playing to a web browser (i.e. not using Channel’s iOS/tvOS apps)...1080i mpeg2 files load quickly and commercial (3-3.5 min) skipping is very smooth without lag.

Some questions:

Is this Qnap testing package ready to be used/tested by a “novice”?

Could Qnap 251A be used as an acceptable server for Emby?

Thanks for any information or direction.

Hi,

New Emby user. Very impressed with Emby performance (on 2011 i-7 iMac). What a change from trying to use Plex.

In addition to the iMac, have a Shield and Qnap 251A to utilize as servers. I would rather not run Emby 24/7 on iMac, thus would rather use either Shield or Qnap. As Emby currently doesn’t support Shield installations, I’m interested in utilizing Qnap (although it is a low level NAS). Primarily running to iOS and tvOS clients.

Currently, I am able to use the Qnap as a server for Channels DVR. In playing to a web browser (i.e. not using Channel’s iOS/tvOS apps)...1080i mpeg2 files load quickly and commercial (3-3.5 min) skipping is very smooth without lag.

Some questions:

Is this Qnap testing package ready to be used/tested by a “novice”?

Could Qnap 251A be used as an acceptable server for Emby?

Thanks for any information or direction.

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I think the 251A is a great choice and it's exactly the model that we are testing with.

The QNAP package is feature complete and equivalent to the previous package with the one issue being that using https is currently causing random crashing. We are looking into that.

How can i update qnap emby server from beta, there is no .qpkg in beta?

We are not currently doing daily betas for QNAP. We're doing stable releases, plus the occasional beta when there's something QNAP-related that needs testing. Thanks !

Hi Luke,

Loaded the above Qnap pkg on my 251A. No problems. Fairly quick load of one library of ~470 mpeg2 files. Maybe due to already having NFO files created by previous load to the 2011 iMac?

However, on trying to play the included mpeg2 files, I am seeing stalls, etc.

Analyzing on the Qnap 251A dashboard, I see that ffmeg process registers at ~90%. Redo Settings on Emby...to 1080 6mbps. Server registers at ~35%, however only get opening screen and no progress, either web or iOS application.

Playing same file on Channels DVR (to browser)at same bitrate yields playback and ability to skip forward with ffmeg<20%.

I realize Channels DVR transcoding has been maximized for mpeg2/H.264 playback, as their only playback requirements are for those files recorded by their DVR.

My usage requirements are to be able to play those same type files, no matter the source. Channels is great for it’s “own” files, however, it is based on an internal database, hence it is not a “file manager”. I cannot add other mpeg2/h.264 files recorded by other sources. As I do have ~200 files recorded from other sources...and need a playback solution for “all” files, I have tried Plex (results are sub optimal...no ffd); Emby, at least works if I use i-7 iMac.

Are there any other settings in Emby that I can set to utilize the Qnap 251A as an Emby server?

For now, I can continue to use iMac i-7, as an Emby server. It works for my requirements...while Plex doesn’t. However, I’m interested in utilizing the Nvidia Shield (better specs)...Worst case, I may have to investigate adding yet another device to run Emby...

Certainly, not my ideal solution...as the Qnap 251A is obviously capable (H/W) of meeting my requirements, if transcoding is efficiently implemented.

In addition, as Channels also leverages the H/W capabilities of both iOS (iPad Pro) and tvOS (ATV 4K) and even lower spec’d Apple devices...server requirements are significantly reduced (same as Infuse or MrMC on Apple).

IMO, Emby is the best file management solution available...I am very impressed. Looking forward to any improvements in playback to ensure that Emby is the solution of choice for those of us with the excellent HDHR tuners (OTA or Prime).

We are not currently doing daily betas for QNAP. We're doing stable releases, plus the occasional beta when there's something QNAP-related that needs testing. Thanks !

Thank you, Luke..

Edited by zeroq

If you're wondering why it's because we have to build for QNAP on a QNAP device, therefore it's not hooked into our automated build system. We're not going to manually produce daily betas as that will just be too much for us to handle. The reason the other NAS devices do get betas is because their build processes are bit more flexible.