New QNAP Package for Testing

Luke

raven-au

Your 453 Pro has the same oldish hardware that my 653 has; transcoding works fine; it

just takes too much of my cpu 97% and the cpu gets quite warmish (123 Deg F); I don't

want my old QNAP stressed like this; I tried with & w/o hardware acceleration..no difference;

Channels DVR transcoding is not nearly as stressing on my hardware..btw..what is your

cpu % and temps while transcoding a 2 hr long movie or news article (1080 P)??

Of course transcoding works!

And, yes, this device is barely capable of software transcoding a single 1080p movie, there's no surprise in that.

It's the hardware assisted transcoding that is being discussed here.

Are you going to answer my question?

And what device did you select?

Hardware transcoding worked fine for me, IIRC it was at around 15-50% CPU utilization but that was higher initially for a while I think.

I'd need to test again to get detailed behaviour (and that means installing Emby server and scanning my library, so that's not going to happen unless you can convince me there is something I can do to help you) but the reality is I rarely transcode in my environment.

I'm not sure about DVR material, I'm assuming it's MPEG2 which I think should work too.

Anything x265 is not going to work with hardware assisted trascoding, I'm pretty sure the GPU does not support it.

Ian

Edited by raven-au

Moogle Stiltzkin

If the Emby server profile of a device says it can't play something directly or direct stream it (right or wrong) then Emby will trancode it.

So what device is it you would like to use as a player?

Does it have an Emby client?

There has always been the problem where some applications on devices will take advantage of non-standard mechanisms to allow things to work but typically, for ongoing OS compatibility, Emby clients usually won't try and do that.

Even Kodi has removed functionality (Kodi for Android for example) to move closer to this same situation, largely to reduce support overhead.

That's just the way it is.

Perhaps one or more device profiles aren't quite right, I don't know, only way to check that out is to ask, others may be able to help.

AFAIK Intel HD graphics is the only GPU that works for hardware transcoding on QNAP devices.

Your NAS will not be able to use hardware assisted trancoding and it's CPU isn't powerful enough to trancode what you need transcoded.

Right, network performance should be fine these days (even wireless, unless you don't have reasonably up to date kit).

Kodi is well known to direct play just about anything and the Emby for Kodi plugin is quite good, that combination would work well with the NAS as an Emby server.

Kodi is available for quite a few platforms, that could be useful ....

Ian

Will nvidia hardware accelerated transcoding work for emby on qnap? some models have gpu in them, so i was wondering if NVENC is working yet?

I'm not sure about DVR material, I'm assuming it's MPEG2 which I think should work too.

If the source is MPEG2 aka H.262/H.222 and you just want to lower the bitrate then using a compressed domain transcoder like Antoine Missout's M2VRequantizer is also a possibility. We used to use it years ago for quick and dirty DVD9 to DVD5 conversions. Programs like DVD Shrink, DVD Rebuilder, DVD2One and CloneDVD integrated the same code as using a high quality encoder like TMPGEnc or Cinema Craft Encoder took a long time.

Come to think of it I believe the same technique can be used for H.264 video streams (handy for HDTV streams right?) but I've not seen an implementation only research papers from a group at Ghent University.

Anything x265 is not going to work with hardware assisted trascoding, I'm pretty sure the GPU does not support it.

x265? I hope that's just a typo and you meant H.265. Anyway since we're talking about a Bay Trail based system, then you're quite correct, the hardware itself has no support for H.265 encoding or decoding.

Will nvidia hardware accelerated transcoding work for emby on qnap? some models have gpu in them, so i was wondering if NVENC is working yet?

What model comes with an Nvidia GPU? On a sidenote are you the unofficial FAQ maintainer from the QNAP forum?

Moogle Stiltzkin

What model comes with an Nvidia GPU? On a sidenote are you the unofficial FAQ maintainer from the QNAP forum?

i'm just a regular forum user there. yes i maintain an unofficial faq for articles i find from time to time :]

well i saw from spec sheet the new x77 comes with nvidia gpu, so was wondering how would emby work on that. will the NVENC transcoding work? in the screenshots there is this option  :ph34r:

so because emby qpkg is for qnap, i'm wondering whether nvenc option will work for it yet?

Edited by Moogle Stiltzkin

alucryd

NVENC (and NVDEC) require the blob SDK from NVIDIA, and its license doesn't seem to allow redistribution unfortunately.

"Except as expressly authorized in this Agreement, you agree that you will not (nor allow third parties to): (i) copy and use software that was licensed to you for use in one or more devices in other unlicensed devices (provided that copies solely for backup purposes are allowed);"

• Like 1

raven-au
well i saw from spec sheet the new x77 comes with nvidia gpu, so was wondering how would emby work on that. will the NVENC transcoding work? in the screenshots there is this option  :ph34r:?

I don't think any QNAP NAS devices come with Nvidia graphics.

The devices you mention say graphics is optional and certain Radeon and Nvidia cards are mentioned in the compatibility list.

I'm pretty sure, judging by what I've seen so far, that the open source hardware acceleration code for Radeon devices doesn't work.

I have no idea if the open source Nvidia code (ie. not NVENC/NVDEC) will be any better.

Ian

Moogle Stiltzkin

I don't think any QNAP NAS devices come with Nvidia graphics.

The devices you mention say graphics is optional and certain Radeon and Nvidia cards are mentioned in the compatibility list.

I'm pretty sure, judging by what I've seen so far, that the open source hardware acceleration code for Radeon devices doesn't work.

I have no idea if the open source Nvidia code (ie. not NVENC/NVDEC) will be any better.

Ian

hi,

sorry i probably wasn't clear enough.

no there is no default accompaniment for nvidia gpu with x77 (which is a downside compared to intel models that come with igpu for quicksync by default. Though installing nvidia gains you NVENC which works better than quicksync if it actually worked).

What i meant was, AFTER installing the optional Nvidia card, would the NVENC in emby work for transcoding? cause emby has this option, but i did not see any examples of anyone having tested this yet, thats why i'm asking if anyone knows for sure :]

hi,

What i meant was, AFTER installing the optional Nvidia card, would the NVENC in emby work for transcoding? cause emby has this option, but i did not see any examples of anyone having tested this yet, thats why i'm asking if anyone knows for sure :]

No, our ffmpeg build does not include nvenc libraries.

• Like 1

Moogle Stiltzkin

No, our ffmpeg build does not include nvenc libraries.

ah i see :{

then what is the option in EMby for hardware acceleration NVENC about then? why is it there if it's not working.

Nn45iOy.png

I'm planning on upgrading to a X77 by christmas, so i wanted to test this hardware acceleration using a nvidia graphics called installed. but now not sure if thats possible any longer x_x; xd

alucryd

ah i see :{

then what is the option in EMby for hardware acceleration NVENC about then? why is it there if it's not working.

Nn45iOy.png

I'm planning on upgrading to a X77 by christmas, so i wanted to test this hardware acceleration using a nvidia graphics called installed. but now not sure if thats possible any longer x_x; xd

The option shows in Emby because Emby supports it, but ffmpeg also has to support it. The one we ship doesn't, and surely never will due to the unpermissive license from NVIDIA, you'd have to make your own ffmpeg build to get NVENC. The NVIDIA blob is free for personal use, not for redistribution.

• Like 1

AvengersFan

@@Luke the current package version number is still set to 3.2.50.1 beta

I am getting the same issue. I downloaded the latest version this morning and installed it, but I am getting a "New Version" prompt for upgrade in the Manage Server section.

Cheers Mark

5a2b57c1ce4e0_ManageServerPage.png

Edited by mrf0ster

AvengersFan

On a separate note all, I need some help re paths and network Credentials. I have tried to read as much as I can to understand all this, but the logic escapes me unfortunately, so please be patient with me!

Part 1:

When adding folders I am unsure what path to add. Basically I have setup a folder called Multimedia, and inside that are folders called Television, Movies, Music etc.  What I have selected is /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/Movies. This works, so good on me :).

What I don’t understand is the (Optional) Shared Network Folder. Should this be //192.168.1.10/ Multimedia/Movies

Or

\\QNAPHOMENAS\Multimedia\Movies

Part 2:

What are Network Credentials when activating kodi to use the emby plug in. I don’t understand what is it that I am meant to be putting in that Network Credential setting space? I am truly lost on that one.

Thanking you in advance for any assistance.

Cheers Mark

Oh just spotted this, the word NULL when browsing.

5a2b57482c336_Null.png

Edited by mrf0ster

raven-au

On a separate note all, I need some help re paths and network Credentials. I have tried to read as much as I can to understand all this, but the logic escapes me unfortunately, so please be patient with me!

Part 1:

When adding folders I am unsure what path to add. Basically I have setup a folder called Multimedia, and inside that are folders called Television, Movies, Music etc.  What I have selected is /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/Movies. This works, so good on me :).

What I don’t understand is the (Optional) Shared Network Folder. Should this be //192.168.1.10/ Multimedia/Movies

Or

\\QNAPHOMENAS\Multimedia\Movies

Part 2:

What are Network Credentials when activating kodi to use the emby plug in. I don’t understand what is it that I am meant to be putting in that Network Credential setting space? I am truly lost on that one.

Suppose Multimedia is shared by the NAS so clients can connect using \\<NAS-NAME or IP>\Multimedia.

Now suppose you add /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia/Movies as above.

The path on the QNAP of the share Multimedia is /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Multimedia and you connect to it using \\<QNAP-NAME or IP>\Multimedia.

So the Shared Network Folder is \\<QNAP-NAME or IP>\Multimedia\Movies and the credential would be what is needed to connect to the share

\\<QNAP-DEVICE or IP>\Multimedia.

• Like 1

AvengersFan

Sometimes I have to refresh my browser when I land on the metadata Manager page after clicking the Metedata link down the bottom left of the Server Management page. The mouse does not seem to be active, but after I refresh once it does.  

But I gotta say I am loving the QNAP NAS version!

Cheers Mark

5a2b9ae37f2c0_MetaData.png

I've updated the build in the first post to the latest beta release. It also has some additional logging to try and hunt down the https crashes. thanks guys.

So, I have a QNAP TS-453A, which has a Celeron N3160 CPU. For the transcoding, should I be selecting Intel QuickSync, or VA API? I hope never to need it anyway, but if it is, I'd like the best performance, and I don't know enough about this area to know already.

Thanks!

Syvedris

@@Vidarr please post your log file, Luke sad "It also has some additional logging to try and hunt down the https crashes"

I've updated the build in the first post to the latest beta release. It also has some additional logging to try and hunt down the https crashes. thanks guys.

Thank you!

Edit:

Here is my log of the HTTPS on version: 3.2.50.3

https://paste2.org/aDfUG733 - Log_11-12-2017_1

https://paste2.org/B32msdjH - Log_11-12-2017_2

I hope it helps @@Luke.

Edited by Syvedris

Actually, sorry, i should have provided more information. the logging we added was qnap system logging. To obtain this you'd need to ssh into the nas and start the server via console, and then capture console output. thanks.