New QNAP Package for Testing

Luke

raven-au

As I said Ian, I was way over my head, I just tried renaming one .so file because I saw somewhere on the internet people talking about a direct compatibility between va-api and the vdpau, it was a long shot. I saw some discussion about using the vdpau driver act as an interface between the va-api driver too, I will try to improve my knowledge on this matter.

HW acceleration on the Radeon nas is a pain right now, and your response on trying to compile the driver and get the b-frame error I think I saw somewhere else. I would've tried to install the whole vdpau driver if the Linux in qnap wasn't so restricted.

The qts 4.3.4 announcement with gpgpu support may tip the scales on the compatibility with drivers and multiple gpus, but that is my wishful thinking right now.

LOL, and it's pretty hard for me too.

That Bellagio driver in that tar package you got your hands on is part of the mesa too.

It's an OpenMAX IL driver, I wonder if that would work with Emby ..... I'll have a go at building it.

macvirii

LOL, and it's pretty hard for me too.

That Bellagio driver in that tar package you got your hands on is part of the mesa too.

It's an OpenMAX IL driver, I wonder if that would work with Emby ..... I'll have a go at building it.

I've seen that the mesa drive is quite good, the question is the compatibility to use the hw acceleration right.

And that tar package was a coincidence, I was going for the vdpau driver but saw on a blog the tar name and found that one. Maybe we can indeed be lucky right?

raven-au

I've seen that the mesa drive is quite good, the question is the compatibility to use the hw acceleration right.

And that tar package was a coincidence, I was going for the vdpau driver but saw on a blog the tar name and found that one. Maybe we can indeed be lucky right?

I enabled more mesa options and included the Bellagio omx drivers in my build.

Haven't checked to see if the omx drivers actually work yet.

Tried the vaapi and vaapi with vdpau backend again using the updated build and get the same result.

The vaapi comes back with the B frames not supported message (pretty sure that's a mesa problem not an ffmpeg problem) and vaapi using the vdpau backend silently fails, no message whatsoever so no clue where to look.

So it's not looking good.

I can put the build stuff I've used on Dropbox if anyone is interested, perhaps someone else can see something I got wrong!

Ian

I did however build the r600 vaapi driver and will include it in our next package, hopefully it works as is on AMD models.

It should but don't expect miracles, this bug explains why better than I can.

It looks like there's a limitation with B-frame support with the r600 vaapi driver.

It's a crap-shoot as to whether your GPU supports it, for example the RX480 definitely doesn't. Oh and OpenMAX only supports CQP rate control making it practically useless.

- Added support for discrete GPU cards. A GPU card can improve trascoding performance, and enables your NAS to run HD Station and Linux Station (only supported on TS-1685 and TS-x77 series NAS, but not supported on Linux Station 1.4). 

Humbug! That's just just more vague marketing jive from QNAP. Did you ever notice how these claims and pages like this never go into any detail and never mention encoding?

The simple fact is that if you want end-to-end HW accelerated transcoding you need a modern, supported hardware platform running Windows. Anybody else would be better off doing what the pro's do e.g. the Australian Broadcasting Corporation uses EC2 instances to transcode their content and they don't use hardware encoding as can be seen here.

Syvedris

@@Vidarr it also crashes for me with SSL, Luke mentioned me to wait for a update. Don't know when it will be released but for now you only can use HTTP with no SSL.

Edited by Syvedris

I'm getting incredibly blocky and pixelated video. Doesn't matter if I have hardware transcoding on or off. Over gigabit LAN. Source is full quality BD rip to mkv. Is there a way to force full quality?

Edited by syplex

Are you playing them on the APP for cellphone ?

are you having this problem for every video ?

could you test the same video on the web player and emby theater ?

What kind of cert have you configured in emby?

PKCS12 (.pfx) cert with password , by LetsEncrypt. Same cert works for older mono version of Emby and works for other applications such as Plex.

Have you checked the box to require https? if so, try unchecking that and see if it makes a difference. thanks.

Syvedris

@@Luke it will crash also if you turn off that require https setting. You can see it in my post I've tested it.

I also using same cert as mentioned above.

Hello something new happend the upnp crash with emby (i checked it's the only app that went mad) nothing really annoying had to nat it myself but it's kinda weird.

Are you playing them on the APP for cellphone ?

are you having this problem for every video ?

could you test the same video on the web player and emby theater ?

I am playing them on an Apple TV 4th Gen and Apple TV 4K. Both hardwired gigabit ethernet. Same issue on both.

I don't see the problem using the web player on a laptop.

I don't have emby theater.

Hello something new happend the upnp crash with emby (i checked it's the only app that went mad) nothing really annoying had to nat it myself but it's kinda weird.

hi @@Vidarr, please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

I am playing them on an Apple TV 4th Gen and Apple TV 4K. Both hardwired gigabit ethernet. Same issue on both.

I don't see the problem using the web player on a laptop.

I don't have emby theater.

hi @@syplex, please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !