HDHR UK HD Channels No Longer Play

maegibbons

mini__me

Freeview is a mix of 1080p and 1080i in the U.K. as I understand it. For Freesat I believe it's 1080i as the standard does not allow the switching as freeview allows...something like that :)

Edited by mini__me

mini__me

Do you need me to try with a debug client to get you more information on why playback fails?

I can install bluestacks somewhere and use that as a client? Or I have full ADB access to the FireTV and a Sony Android TV to pull anything you might want?

Is there anyway I can capture the temporary files being remuxed and streamed that are failing to play?

You could try hooking up the ADB and watching the logcat but, according to the logs people have sent, there are no errors.  The stream just never starts.

I cannot direct stream from your tuner remotely.

Thanks tough to be sure (you didn't limit the output to just the app ;)) but I don't see anything different there.  No errors from the player, it just doesn't play.  The player does report that it supports the streams.

I get a better view of that when you use the send logs option in the app because it strips out all the other noise and only shows us output from our app.

Anyway, I'm not really sure why these items are having trouble or what to do about it right now.  I guess the only option at the moment is for you to disable the option to direct play them.

So if this is occurring in the UK, what channel is it and I'll see what happens with my setup.

Is it during live seeking, or direct play?

Nathanio

So if this is occurring in the UK, what channel is it and I'll see what happens with my setup.

Is it during live seeking, or direct play?

Any hd channel for me. SD is fine. I am just starting it from the guide. Recorded TV is perfect

Any hd channel for me. SD is fine. I am just starting it from the guide. Recorded TV is perfect

So Live TV, or Live Seek (pause/rw/ff)?

And which client?

mini__me

Thanks tough to be sure (you didn't limit the output to just the app ;)) but I don't see anything different there.  No errors from the player, it just doesn't play.  The player does report that it supports the streams.

I get a better view of that when you use the send logs option in the app because it strips out all the other noise and only shows us output from our app.

Anyway, I'm not really sure why these items are having trouble or what to do about it right now.  I guess the only option at the moment is for you to disable the option to direct play them.

I didn't limit to the app in case there could be something else at work :)

I'll have to test some more, as I think even with direct play disabled I may of had some issues in the past. These of course may well be resolved now.

When playing the same channels through the NextPVR plugin the channels playback perfectly, what's the chain of events in that case? Is NextPVR feeding the stream to ffmpeg to Emby that then remuxs and direct streams?

mini__me

So Live TV, or Live Seek (pause/rw/ff)?

And which client?

Any HD channel, Live TV (VLC) playback is broken and stuttered and barely starts most the time.

Live Seek does not work most of the time, sometimes it will be transcoded and does work.

Client FireTV 1 for the majority of the testing, though have issues on Sony AndroidTV but have not recently tested as much with that.

Spaceboy

All very similar to what I have been reporting with HD channels and external services in the UK. No help was forthcoming so I just had to disable all hd channels. Emby is not very Uk friendly at the moment

Edit. For the last 2 years

Edited by Spaceboy

I have tried Direct Play and Live Seek on the following channels on my FTV gen 1:

BBC1 HD - OK

BBC2 HD - failed to play in live seek, spinning circle. Live Play (Direct/V) OK.

ITV1 HD - OK

C4 HD - failed to play in live seek, spinning circle. Live Play (Direct/V) OK.

C5 HD - OK

4SEVENHD - failed to play in live seek, spinning circle. Live Play (Direct/V) OK.

QVC HD - failed to play in live seek, spinning circle. Live Play (Direct/V) OK.

CBBCHD - failed to play in live seek, spinning circle. Live Play (Direct/V) OK.

This was running against the Stable Emby server and HDHomeRun tuners.

The in-app Audio setting was set to DIRECT, as otherwise, playback would be transcoded (Trans/V) and nothing would play.

I was able to pause, RW and FF where Live Seek worked.

The FTV is very slow compared to the Shield TV!

mini__me

The in-app Audio setting was set to DIRECT, as otherwise, playback would be transcoded (Trans/V) and nothing would play.

Ah, now that's a good point...mine is set to down-mix to stereo....let me go test :)

mini__me

I guess the only option at the moment is for you to disable the option to direct play them.

With Direct play disabled I am still getting inconsistent results with playback.  Would you prefer a logcat (restricted to Emby) or just send a normal dump with the time?

Edit:  I've attached a logcat with a failure to playback with direct stream disabled.

emby logcat.txt

Edited by mini__me

Ah, now that's a good point...mine is set to down-mix to stereo....let me go test :)

I have to have my Shield TV's set to downmix, otherwise I get no audio when playing content with AC3, as it's plugged into a dumb TV, as is the FTV.

With Direct play disabled I am still getting inconsistent results with playback.  Would you prefer a logcat (restricted to Emby) or just send a normal dump with the time?

Edit:  I've attached a logcat with a failure to playback with direct stream disabled.

Did it eventually play?  It tried three times and can't tell if the third one got going.

The first two failed with this:

Unable to connect to http://192.168.62.150:8096/emby/videos/...

Yeah, I just don't know.  Even though it says it supports it, those video streams just cannot be played without at least remuxing them.  If there were some property I could key off to know that it would help but I don't see anything right now.

A new version of the app (and, thus, the player engine as well) should be available soon but I doubt that is going to have an effect.

If you select to play these streams with VLC they also don't play well?

Very odd, as I was running the adb from the server that host emby so there was connectivity :)

No playback never started :(

I've attached a filtered logcat for Direct Stream that failed to play.

What channel was that, Channel 4?

It isn't crashing, it is just shutting down.

Set  your auto logout option to anything other than "Never" or update to the latest beta.

Thanks.