Show Intro Skip Option

Liquidfire88

seanbuff
18 minutes ago, DragonSkills99 said:

But I'm still not getting any skip buttons or such displayed (tried it in Chrome but also the Android Emby APP)

with this plugin, you won't get a button onscreen to skip the intro, only Auto-Skip is supported. The intro should automatically skip if you have enabled these options, and added your user account to the list

image.png.f7b8fb4925f6981d7ad71044bc808295.png

When working, you should also see a little notification popup indicating the Intro was skipped

Edited by seanbuff
more info

DragonSkills99
1 hour ago, seanbuff said:

with this plugin, you won't get a button onscreen to skip the intro, only Auto-Skip is supported. The intro should automatically skip if you have enabled these options, and added your user account to the list

image.png.f7b8fb4925f6981d7ad71044bc808295.png

When working, you should also see a little notification popup indicating the Intro was skipped

Thanks for the info, I thought it would ask me if it should skip or at least I hoped for, cause sometimes I may just not want to skip. And I generally don't like it, if it is just skipping without me telling him to... thats also why I disabled all those options... @Cheesegeezer @chef Any plan on adding a button for that or was all my work the last 3 days for nothing?

seanbuff
19 minutes ago, DragonSkills99 said:

Any plan on adding a button for that or was all my work the last 3 days for nothing?

That's where the core version that @Cheesegeezer was explaining to you a few pages back comes in. Currently there are two separate implementations of this feature. The one you have been configuring and testing is the plugin version which was created by a bunch of clever community folk.

The other "core" version is the official implementation of it created by the Emby dev team that is currently only present as a hidden option in the latest Beta version of the Server, not as a plugin.

The latter (core) version already has the "Intro Skip" button implemented on screen (which is what you want by the sounds of it). Unfortunately, the two do not currently share data, so the detected intros you have completed with the plugin version over the last few days are not compatible with the core version (and vice-versa)

It's expected that as the core version matures and reaches the Stable server version, this plugin will become a tool to enhance the core detected intros with some additional functionality.

Hope that makes sense.

• Like 2

Cheesegeezer
49 minutes ago, DragonSkills99 said:

Thanks for the info, I thought it would ask me if it should skip or at least I hoped for, cause sometimes I may just not want to skip. And I generally don't like it, if it is just skipping without me telling him to... thats also why I disabled all those options... @Cheesegeezer @chef Any plan on adding a button for that or was all my work the last 3 days for nothing?

If i can explain… the core version is closed source and OSD functions are not available in the API. We as plugin developers can’t place a button that interacts directly in the core Video OSD, however we did have a button that displayed on many clients with different visual pleasantries. We could look to brink this back. 

23 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

That's where the core version that @Cheesegeezer was explaining to you a few pages back comes in. Currently there are two separate implementations of this feature. The one you have been configuring and testing is the plugin version which was created by a bunch of clever community folk.

The other "core" version is the official implementation of it created by the Emby dev team that is currently only present as a hidden option in the latest Beta version of the Server, not as a plugin.

The latter (core) version already has the "Intro Skip" button implemented on screen (which is what you want by the sounds of it). Unfortunately, the two do not currently share data, so the detected intros you have completed with the plugin version over the last few days are not compatible with the core version (and vice-versa)

It's expected that as the core version matures and reaches the Stable server version, this plugin will become a tool to enhance the core detected intros with some additional functionality.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks Sean, very well explained. I would like to add, if I may… at the moment its unclear how much of the plugin will be used. As far as it stands now.. only intros detection and a button is on the horizon as a release.. no editors, no autoskip, no stats, no chapter markers no credit skip, etc

which leads me on actually, you can skip using the chapter markers with the plugin in the video OSD 

• Like 1

DragonSkills99
1 hour ago, seanbuff said:

Even though I already asked for this piece of information, you're the first one telling me about where/how to get the "core" version. So, thanks.

1 hour ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Thanks Sean, very well explained. I would like to add, if I may… at the moment its unclear how much of the plugin will be used. As far as it stands now.. only intros detection and a button is on the horizon as a release.. no editors, no autoskip, no stats, no chapter markers no credit skip, etc

which leads me on actually, you can skip using the chapter markers with the plugin in the video OSD 

Thanks for that explanation. Having to rerun the search, I would have tried to start it on my windows computer (as it is waaay more powerful) and somehow export it to the NAS, the "no editors, no autoskip, no stats, no chapter markers" part would have been just sad but acceptible but to remove the anyway lacking "credit skip" part is inacceptible for me. (It's lacking cause you can only define a starting but no ending marker and it's not that rare, that some episodes continue after the credits)

Seems like I'm back to square one with no viable solution 😔

Cheesegeezer
20 minutes ago, DragonSkills99 said:

(It's lacking cause you can only define a starting but no ending marker and it's not that rare, that some episodes continue after the credits

Seems like I'm back to square one with no viable solution 😔

And watching netflix also doesn't have this feature or amazon prime. You will just get watch next episode. 

Please understand that the technology is there to chromaprint, which is what is being used.  however.... where do you stop, because a lot of credit end music is different for each show, so you end up with partial match on 3 shows out of 1 season.  The alternative is to black detect when the credit music fingerprinting fails.  Surely you must see the challenges posed by all the variables to contend with.  One final method would be to use OCR, which i have proved works, but is a very intensive process for the system where some frames can take as long as 10 seconds to detect the text where there is a lot of color information.  I used Absolutely Fabulous to test this because it has scrolling text credits (90's era) and also moving pictures in the background.

It's easy enough to put an editor in for end credits, but what is actually being shown after the credits??? a sneak peak for the next show that you are going to watch anyway... or one last joke? is it really that important

If we can please the majority of people most of the time thats a win if you ask me.

Sorry you feel disappointed, it's your decision to use or not use the plugin/core versions.

On a side note, you will no be able to port the db to the synology - after you set it up all your Libraries and items will have newly generated GUID's and our database uses these Id's to store our information. This is on our todo list to allow for porting of information, but not got round to it yet.

• Like 1

DragonSkills99
19 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

And watching netflix also doesn't have this feature or amazon prime. You will just get watch next episode. 

Please understand that the technology is there to chromaprint, which is what is being used.  however.... where do you stop, because a lot of credit end music is different for each show, so you end up with partial match on 3 shows out of 1 season.  The alternative is to black detect when the credit music fingerprinting fails.  Surely you must see the challenges posed by all the variables to contend with.  One final method would be to use OCR, which i have proved works, but is a very intensive process for the system where some frames can take as long as 10 seconds to detect the text where there is a lot of color information.  I used Absolutely Fabulous to test this because it has scrolling text credits (90's era) and also moving pictures in the background.

It's easy enough to put an editor in for end credits, but what is actually being shown after the credits??? a sneak peak for the next show that you are going to watch anyway... or one last joke? is it really that important

If we can please the majority of people most of the time thats a win if you ask me.

Sorry you feel disappointed, it's your decision to use or not use the plugin/core versions.

On a side note, you will no be able to port the db to the synology - after you set it up all your Libraries and items will have newly generated GUID's and our database uses these Id's to store our information. This is on our todo list to allow for porting of information, but not got round to it yet.

I think for amazon and netflix there was smth like skip outro (credits) but it's not on every show, but wakanim definitely has this feature for intro and outro. 

For your question, if there is really essential parts of the series after the credits, the answer ist sometimes YES, I'm talking here mainly about animes and for them there can be valueable parts of the series everywhere, sometimes it's even together with the outro (it playing the outro music but still showing content). So NO it's not always a preview or smth I would wanna see.

And as for recognition method, it's okay for me if it's not perfect and fails sometime, it would even be ok if I had to do it completely manually (I'm glad if it's automatic thoug). That was never the criteria, but only a plugin where I get a button for intro and outro where I can skip it. Just seems like the solutions here are not what I search...

DragonSkills99
2 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

[...], however we did have a button that displayed on many clients with different visual pleasantries. We could look to brink this back. 

Is this button available for plugins? If yes is there any documentation on how to utilize? In that case I could write myself a little companion plugin for the official one, extending it with the features I need...

Cheesegeezer
16 minutes ago, DragonSkills99 said:

Is this button available for plugins? If yes is there any documentation on how to utilize? In that case I could write myself a little companion plugin for the official one, extending it with the features I need...

We need to add it back in.  Code what you want... seems like you are a difficult one to please.

Edrock200

Probably too late for this but...please consider adding an option to side load the time marker data with the media or add to nfo. For people who have more than one emby server, it means scanning media for intros only once. It would also make it much easier to recover from, say, an os drive loss in which the emby data was lost with regards to amount of time needed to recover all features. (I know, I know backups, but it still happens.)

I really wish thetvdb would add intro marker time stamps. I know not all media is timed exactly alike so this wouldnt be as accurate but a lot less resource intensive.

• Agree 3

Amanade3

Any one interested in delay skip intro by few milliseconds you can add this code in the file introskip.xml located in the Emby server location in your drive\programdata\plugins\configurations.

write or copy this code.

<AutoSkipDelay>800</AutoSkipDelay> you can put any millseconds you want in the place of 800 it works for me. although it doesn't show anything in the plugin settings.

rbjtech
17 minutes ago, Amanade3 said:

Any one interested in delay skip intro by few milliseconds you can add this code in the file introskip.xml located in the Emby server location in your drive\programdata\plugins\configurations.

write or copy this code.

<AutoSkipDelay>800</AutoSkipDelay> you can put any millseconds you want in the place of 800 it works for me. although it doesn't show anything in the plugin settings.

I don't believe this is used - it's just a leftover in the XML config file from when we originally had it .. ;)

That's not to say it won't be coming back.. but in the latest Plugin release, I don't believe this value will be acknowledged - I may be wrong though !

Cheesegeezer
1 hour ago, Edrock200 said:

Probably too late for this but...please consider adding an option to side load the time marker data with the media or add to nfo. For people who have more than one emby server, it means scanning media for intros only once. It would also make it much easier to recover from, say, an os drive loss in which the emby data was lost with regards to amount of time needed to recover all features. (I know, I know backups, but it still happens.)

on the list of todo’s 

1 hour ago, Edrock200 said:

I really wish thetvdb would add intro marker time stamps. I know not all media is timed exactly alike so this wouldnt be as accurate but a lot less resource intensive.

It maybe something we could discuss with them, however we don’t want everyone using our hard work,  but the new emby core structure of intros will help with this alot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

chef

Hi there! Because our plugin is editing chapters, and not utilizing the latest updates in emby, it is conflicting with the core implementations.

Therefore, the plugin will be blocked from loading in the next beta update.

We can change the plugin to not alter chapters and cause these conflicts,  and it will load again. But for the time being, the plugin and the core versions do not play nice together, so the plugin will be disabled.

We'll get it fix as soon as time allows.

Thanks!

Ben.

• Thanks 2

seanbuff

Thanks for the heads up @chef

I have yet to migrate my users over to the core implementation, just can't trust its detection without the extremely useful intro graphical editor that the plugin provides.
Also, a lot of my users are ATV users which doesn't currently have the Intro Skip button - would hate them to lose their auto-skip functionality we've all grown to enjoy.

Hope you guys can get a fix in soon enough (i can always just not accept the next beta too) -- appreciate your work!

chef
6 minutes ago, seanbuff said:

Thanks for the heads up @chef

I have yet to migrate my users over to the core implementation, just can't trust its detection without the extremely useful intro graphical editor that the plugin provides.
Also, a lot of my users are ATV users which doesn't currently have the Intro Skip button - would hate them to lose their auto-skip functionality we've all grown to enjoy.

Hope you guys can get a fix in soon enough (i can always just not accept the next beta too) -- appreciate your work!

I'm pretty sure that that is what we should be working on... Is the editor.

We talked about how we would do that, and I'm sure that tomorrow will be dedicated to figuring out the best ways to create an editor without messing a bunch of things up. 

• Like 1

TeamB
9 minutes ago, chef said:

We talked about how we would do that, and I'm sure that tomorrow will be dedicated to figuring out the best ways to create an editor without messing a bunch of things up. 

I am guessing this is internal talk? With the core team?

chef
9 minutes ago, TeamB said:

I am guessing this is internal talk? With the core team?

I think we'll try and write a plugin that handles the editor separate from the core, with the the intro skip team.

If the core creates an editor later, then that's cool, but in the meantime we'll see if we can port the editor that was written before, to handle the chapter data. 

Try and pull data from the chapters, and write data back from the table.

Most of the html and JavaScript is written, so all we would have to do is change the queries and the endpoints... Well... That would be best case scenario... Probabaly won't be that easy.

I think loading the table data will be faster, because we won't have to extract images for each timestamp, we should be able to pull the chapter image.

Edited by chef

TeamB

@chef

When you say table data are you referring to your internal table from the plugin or the main media item table that has all the chapter data?

When I first started looking into chapters I expected a chapter editor built in, at least being able to create and delete chapters in the web client but there was nothing. I was surprised about that.

I have not played with the new core implementation of the intro skip yet, been playing with other stuff. But does that just create named chapters?

If that is the case all we need is a chapter viewer/editor plugin. Based on what I have been playing with that should not to too hard as all the chapters are available in the Media Items available from the Library interface in plugins and you can save chapter using the IItemRepository but you probably already know all this since it looks like you have been playing with this a lot longer than me.

I was asking about this just last week https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/108182-chapters/

chef
1 minute ago, TeamB said:

@chef

When you say table data are you referring to your internal table from the plugin or the main media item table that has all the chapter data?

When I first started looking into chapters I expected a chapter editor built in, at least being able to create and delete chapters in the web client but there was nothing. I was surprised about that.

I have not played with the new core implementation of the intro skip yet, been playing with other stuff. But does that just create named chapters?

If that is the case all we need is a chapter viewer/editor plugin. Based on what I have been playing with that should not to too hard as all the chapters are available in the Media Items available from the Library interface in plugins and you can save chapter using the IItemRepository but you probably already know all this since it looks like you have been playing with this a lot longer than me.

I was asking about this just last week https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/108182-chapters/

Yes! That is exactly what I had said. 👍😆 A chapter editor would be exactly what we need to write. 

But, would we create the editor for the entire chapter list, or just the intro and (future) credit parts?

TeamB
10 minutes ago, chef said:

Yes! That is exactly what I had said. 👍😆 A chapter editor would be exactly what we need to write. 

But, would we create the editor for the entire chapter list, or just the intro and (future) credit parts?

I think a full chapter editor would be great, if the intro and credit chapters are just normal chapter markers but with special names then you could add simple toggle filtering to the UI to just show those chapters if the user wanted.

A REST API to create or edit chapters would also be great, it is what my current project is, a simple REST Api plugin to allow adding and editing chapters externally.

Cheesegeezer
9 minutes ago, TeamB said:

I think a full chapter editor would be great, if the intro and credit chapters are just normal chapter markers but with special names then you could add simple toggle filtering to the UI to just show those chapters if the user wanted.

A REST API to create or edit chapters would also be great, it is what my current project is, a simple REST Api plugin to allow adding and editing chapters externally.

Interesting.  I wrote a plugin years ago MBChapters (still have it on my Github Repos) to use ChapterGrabber and TagChimp for checking hash on videos and then grabbing the chapter names and times from the online DB and then manipulating the chapter points in Emby.  After speaking with the guy started Chapter Grabber, he was moving to a new API model but never finished it, and here endeth that plugin's days.  But it was pretty good and robust enough to trust

Shame that ChapterGrabber is now hosted by plex and is read only.  And TagChimp was pretty crap anyways and is completely Dead.

image.png.92f4b8deed86e88f8ee8bb3eb5f58f5e.png

Edited by Cheesegeezer

TeamB
35 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Interesting.  I wrote a plugin years ago MBChapters (still have it on my Github Repos) to use ChapterGrabber and TagChimp for checking hash on videos and then grabbing the chapter names and times from the online DB and then manipulating the chapter points in Emby.  After speaking with the guy started Chapter Grabber, he was moving to a new API model but never finished it, and here endeth that plugin's days.  But it was pretty good and robust enough to trust

Shame that ChapterGrabber is now hosted by plex and is read only.  And TagChimp was pretty crap anyways and is completely Dead.

image.png.92f4b8deed86e88f8ee8bb3eb5f58f5e.png

cool idea, a lib of chapters that you can apply to your movies would be awesome. A bit like subtitles but for chapters.

This is more a personal question and dont feel like you have to answer it but why are all your projects private? You dont want people sharing your code and ideas?

Edited by TeamB

Cheesegeezer
10 minutes ago, TeamB said:

cool idea, a lib of chapters that you can apply to your movies would be awesome. A bit like subtitles but for chapters.

the plugin was written and ready to go, it was horrible to get all the data as it was all in xml and nested within nests of nests of data. and i was using it along with others but the guy killed the api and it was game over. 

10 minutes ago, TeamB said:

This is more a personal question and dont feel like you have to answer it but why are all your projects private? You dont want people sharing your code ideas?

I don’t know, it possibly because my code skills are quite amateur and im embarrassed. Completely self taught 
Just a preference. 

Edited by Cheesegeezer

TeamB
3 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

the plugin was written and ready to go, it was horrible to get all the data as it was all in xml and nested within nests of nests of data. and i was using it along with others but the guy killed the api and it was game over. 

That sound painful, it would be nice to have a good source of chapter info though.

8 minutes ago, Cheesegeezer said:

I don’t know, it possibly because my code skills are quite amateur and im embarrassed. Completely self taught 
Just a preference. 

Dont be embarrassed, it can be a bit stressful showing people your code, I remember when team wide code reviews started being a thing in most teams I worked in, it was stressful putting your work that you spent hours doing in front of others to pick over and find all the stuff you you did wrong. And having to some times justify why you did what you did, especially as most software engineers are picky self absorbed bastards that just want to comment for the sake of commenting "Oh look you spelled that variable name wrong" #$%^ that pisses me off. Anyway code coveys ideas and ideas should be shared, well that's my view.

On another note, one of the ideas I had with audio chromaprint detection was using it to SYNC subtitles and chapters to the correct location.
What I have found is sometimes when I have a movie or episode and I download subtitles they are offset by a number of seconds, I need to open up the options in playback and set an offset to get them to line up. One idea I had was to have a way to take a short audio chromaprint say 5 min into a movie that you could search for and know this was at offset x and then set your subtitile offset up to that so the subtitles were in sync with the audio track. Discussion for a different project I guess.