Chapters

TeamB

TeamB

What is the easiest way to create chapters externally. REST Api, nfo, text cut files?

i.e. I have some chapter info that I want to add to my movies or episodes in txt files now and want emby to use that info.

Also is there a chapter editor in Emby?

Edited by TeamB

Hi, there's no api for this yet, but given the advent of the intros feature, and the fact that it adds data to chapters, we're going to have a chapter editor in the near future so there will be an api at that point.

TeamB
6 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, there's no api for this yet, but given the advent of the intros feature, and the fact that it adds data to chapters, we're going to have a chapter editor in the near future so there will be an api at that point.

So what are my options for having some chapters auto created or something like that, my source MKV test files do not have chapters.

7 minutes ago, TeamB said:

So what are my options for having some chapters auto created or something like that, my source MKV test files do not have chapters.

The server already auto-generates them every five minutes if the file doesn't have any. Is that what you're looking for?

TeamB
2 hours ago, Luke said:

The server already auto-generates them every five minutes if the file doesn't have any. Is that what you're looking for?

Is this something i need to turn on somewhere, i have no chapters at all in the web client.

I am experimenting with importing chapters for playing items in kodi, just need some example data to play with at the moment.

GrimReaper
13 minutes ago, TeamB said:

Is this something i need to turn on somewhere, i have no chapters at all in the web client.

It is per-library settings, edit any library, enable Show Advanced, scroll down to Video preview thumbnails, opt for 10-sec bifs or 5-min Chapter markers, run Thumbnail extraction scheduled task. 

TeamB
3 minutes ago, GrimReaper said:

It is per-library settings, edit any library, enable Show Advanced, scroll down to Video preview thumbnails, opt for 10-sec bifs or 5-min Chapter markers, run Thumbnail extraction scheduled task. 

cool thanks, dont think I would have worked that out as I did not make the connection between Chapters and "Video Preview Thumbnails" and I needed to turn on show advanced to see the selection for at Chapter points.

roaku
9 hours ago, TeamB said:

So is this really the only way to create chapters at the moment.

Well, mkvtoolnix has a very full featured chapter editor, if you just need to end up with chapter files compatible with Emby.

10 hours ago, TeamB said:

9 hours ago, TeamB said:

So is this really the only way to create chapters at the moment.

The chapters are actually auto created it is just that the web app does not show them if they don't have images.  So, you are only seeing them when you turn on the option to create the images but, if you were to retrieve an item with the API, the chapters would be there regardless.

TeamB
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

The chapters are actually auto created it is just that the web app does not show them if they don't have images.  So, you are only seeing them when you turn on the option to create the images but, if you were to retrieve an item with the API, the chapters would be there regardless.

Ok that is a little weird, I was using the items API and was specifying the chapters field but was not seeing any chapters in the responce, that is why I was trying to create some manually. That are showing up now I have turned on the above setting in the library so I can at least test importing chapters as bookmarks in Kodi at playback time.

I think I should be able to create some custom chapters using IItemRepository in an Emby plugin, I will give that a go, see if I can put together a simple Chapter adding end point plugin that I can use in this project.

• 2 weeks later...
Cheesegeezer
On 05/05/2022 at 14:16, TeamB said:

Ok that is a little weird, I was using the items API and was specifying the chapters field but was not seeing any chapters in the responce, that is why I was trying to create some manually. That are showing up now I have turned on the above setting in the library so I can at least test importing chapters as bookmarks in Kodi at playback time.

I think I should be able to create some custom chapters using IItemRepository in an Emby plugin, I will give that a go, see if I can put together a simple Chapter adding end point plugin that I can use in this project.

I can help you with this. Should be a scheduled task that runs periodically or if a new item is added after the main library scan has been completed. 
json is the multi platform goto now and emby has a built in serialiser/deserialiser you can use to convert your text files to objects/ classes and then populate the chapters based on your files.

all the info needed by emby is 

name(title), startpositionruntimeticks, markertype. Then after this has been posted is you run imageextraction task to get the the thumbs.

• Agree 1