H/W Transcoding on Evansport (DS415play/DS214play) Machines

solabc16

As far as documentation goes, @@solabc16 can comment on that. We'd have to look at a specific playback example. There are some situations where Vaapi can't be used. Also it could have raised an error, in which case we automatically switch to cpu transcoding.

solabc16

Hello James,

I send my log, if I can help you with DSM 6.2.

sendlogs_DiskstationJR_synology_evansport_214play_20180729T165749UTC.tgz

Thanks @@Darkjeje, appreciated.

Best

- James

solabc16

Hello @@eevv

First thing, would be to look at this post above https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43282-hw-transcoding-on-evansport-ds415playds214play-machines/?p=596880 and then follow the links I referenced there, if you want some further background.

To put your mind at rest, there is nothing wrong with the documentation and the steps you've taken won't have 'broken anything'.

The machines based on the 'evansport' architecture are unique and aren't supported by any of the current transcoding standards; hence the specific workaround here in response to user demands - it is experimental, but for those users wishing to get involved a little deeper it gives the opportunity to benefit in some scenarios from h/w transcoding.

On 'evansport' machines the transcoding should be set to 'None' under the system configuration.

In brief, so as to not repeat previous content, Synology didn't contribute their patches back to the FFmpeg project. So the only way of leveraging the h/w transcoding on this specific h/w is to make use of the FFmpeg that is shipped with DSM. This is an old version, but does a reasonable job for the media it does support - see community feedback above. You will see that the FFmpeg version shipped by Synology includes the following in its configuration '--enable-libh264_smd --enable-smd'.

Let us know a bit more about how you have your system setup and the type of media you have in your libraries, then we can see what options you could consider. As I've posted elsewhere, the primary goal when planning your system setup (especially on this kind of h/w), is to minimise the need for transcoding at all - i.e. make it the exception and aim to direct play wherever possible.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16

Darkjeje

Hello @@Darkjeje

Your system appears to be working well, if you get a chance can you run the diagnostics before running the send logs again. Thanks.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Run-Diagnostics

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Synology-:-How-to-Send-us-Support-Logs

Best

- James

It's done !!!

sendlogs_DiskstationJR_synology_evansport_214play_20180731T194710UTC.tgz

Thank you for your work James !

Edited by Darkjeje

solabc16

Thanks @@Darkjeje

From that we can confirm the same Synology version of FFmpeg is being shipped with DSM 6.2, so the content of this thread is still relevant.

ffmpeg version 2.7.1 Copyright (c) 2000-2015 the FFmpeg developers
built with gcc 4.9.3 (crosstool-NG 1.20.0) 20150311 (prerelease)
configuration: --prefix=/usr --incdir='${prefix}/include/ffmpeg' --arch=i686 --target-os=linux --cross-prefix=/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu- --enable-cross-compile --enable-optimizations --enable-pic --enable-gpl --enable-shared --disable-static --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-libfaac --enable-encoders --enable-pthreads --disable-bzlib --disable-protocol=rtp --disable-muxer=image2 --disable-muxer=image2pipe --disable-swscale-alpha --disable-ffserver --disable-ffplay --disable-devices --disable-bzlib --disable-altivec --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libmp3lame --disable-vaapi --disable-decoder=amrnb --disable-decoder=ac3 --disable-decoder=ac3_fixed --disable-encoder=zmbv --disable-encoder=dca --disable-encoder=ac3 --disable-encoder=ac3_fixed --disable-encoder=eac3 --disable-decoder=dca --disable-decoder=eac3 --disable-decoder=truehd --cc=/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-ccache-gcc --enable-yasm --enable-libx264 --enable-encoder=libx264 --enable-libh264_smd --enable-smd --disable-filter=hqdn3d --extra-libs='-lgdl -losal -lpal -lsven -lismd_core -lismd_audio -lismd_viddec -lismd_videnc -lismd_vidpproc -lplatform_config -lffmpeg_plugin -ljson-c '

For those interested, the configuration options including 'smd' are the Synology specific customisations for the 'evansport' based machines.

Best

- James
Edited by solabc16

Hi solabc16

Thanks for your reply.

System setup Synology DS415Play Evansport 24TB used remotely only with web app

Emby Server ONLY active package on the NAS since I first started trying to install it, everything else shut down to give max resources to emby, still under resource monitor nothing goes over 10 - 20% - is there any way SSH perhaps I can make Emby a higher priority give all resources to Emby ? I'd be happy to leave the NAS alone for a whle for Emby only if that's a way to speed up this initial library scan

What are you referring to here exactly ? Link to this workaround?

-The machines based on the 'evansport' architecture are unique and aren't supported by any of the current transcoding standards; hence the -specific workaround here in response to user demands - it is experimental, but for those users wishing to get involved a little deeper it gives the -opportunity to benefit in some scenarios from h/w transcoding.

Just to be clear so you are saying - with my ds415play evansport CPU I should just leave the hw accelleraiton  option (the first one, drop down menu under dashbaord- transcodin)at "none", there is no point experimenting with changing it?

Maybe you have some library tips, I've read a lot of forums:

I've just reinstalled the server from my DS415PLAY (uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled)

This is what I tried to do now to build a basic library

The library scans never seemed to finish. E.g. after several days the Music folder was still at 93%

I did not do anything with plugins except leave the default installed ones and add username + pw to the opensubtitles plugin

When I added libraries I unticked every single metadata source except one for each library - I thought this would quick up making a "basic" functional library and then I can add those other metadata sources one by one later

I disabled real-time monitoring for everything (I think I discovered a bug there - the "disable real-time monitoring" tick box is only visible depending on what kind of library it is and depending on whether the "show advanced options" is selected or not - on some of my libraries, real time monitoring is disabled when I have advanced options visible, but goes back to being disabled when I disable advanced options visible)

I have all kinds of media

One music folder with about 3TB, 300.000 tracks I think, is this simply too much for Emby ? It is always at the music library scan it stalls, and always at 92%

One movie folder

One TV folder

One mixed home video+photo folder

Priority is getting a functional music library.

In my Synology dashboard resource monitor when Emby is running there are a huge number of processes called mono-sgen and and other things with mono and sgen. Probably 20-30 total. Is this normal ?

If I restart server a( through synology community package centre or B) through emby dashboard - is there any difference ? Does one or the other cancel library scan while the other lets it continue after reboot/sthufdown ?

If I reboot shutdown maybe the NAS has to shut down for unrelated reasons for example - is all library scan progress lost ? It starts all over again ?

If I uninstall Emby Server from my NAS, can I save my media folder database (if it ever completes, if I ever get one ....) so that I dont have to do this again ? It's been a week or something now and it's still not up and running, just library scanning

Is checking out the library / apps while scans are not complete likely to have caused my library scanning problems ?

I noticed in community package centre there is a "mono" package. There is also one or two packages I think that I saw mentioned in relation to Emby, ffmpeg amongst others. Could it be beneficial / destructive for Emby to install these?

Final questions regarding library scan -

I've found no good explanation of the difference between the top left "Full library scan" button, and the individual library - three button - scan - then three options search for new missing files - search for missing metadata - replace all metadata ? Where is this better explained ? The last option if it does what it sounds like could be disastrous, what if you have carefully collected metadata for rare media files that Emby then misidentifies and mislabels ?

Lot of questions at once I know but I am an enthusiastic new Emby user and trying to get it up and going !! :) Thank you!

Hello @@eevv

First thing, would be to look at this post above https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43282-hw-transcoding-on-evansport-ds415playds214play-machines/?p=596880 and then follow the links I referenced there, if you want some further background.

To put your mind at rest, there is nothing wrong with the documentation and the steps you've taken won't have 'broken anything'.

The machines based on the 'evansport' architecture are unique and aren't supported by any of the current transcoding standards; hence the specific workaround here in response to user demands - it is experimental, but for those users wishing to get involved a little deeper it gives the opportunity to benefit in some scenarios from h/w transcoding.

On 'evansport' machines the transcoding should be set to 'None' under the system configuration.

In brief, so as to not repeat previous content, Synology didn't contribute their patches back to the FFmpeg project. So the only way of leveraging the h/w transcoding on this specific h/w is to make use of the FFmpeg that is shipped with DSM. This is an old version, but does a reasonable job for the media it does support - see community feedback above. You will see that the FFmpeg version shipped by Synology includes the following in its configuration '--enable-libh264_smd --enable-smd'.

Let us know a bit more about how you have your system setup and the type of media you have in your libraries, then we can see what options you could consider. As I've posted elsewhere, the primary goal when planning your system setup (especially on this kind of h/w), is to minimise the need for transcoding at all - i.e. make it the exception and aim to direct play wherever possible.

Best

- James

It's unclear to me if these instructions per today are still meant to be followed.

I just reinstqlled the whole server

Then i DID above procedure again

Is that wrong?

Sorry, what procedure did you do again? the post just has so many things that you did that it's not clear. thanks.

solabc16

Hello @eevv

Just to be clear so you are saying - with my ds415play evansport CPU I should just leave the hw accelleraiton  option (the first one, drop down menu under dashbaord- transcodin)at "none", there is no point experimenting with changing it?

>> Correct.

The library scans never seemed to finish. E.g. after several days the Music folder was still at 93%

Regarding the music folder, I've just spotted something (new) on one of our test systems today, where requests to the audiodb.com are failing with an SSL issue, can you upload your most recent server log; this caused the usually sprightly to really drag its feet.

In my Synology dashboard resource monitor when Emby is running there are a huge number of processes called mono-sgen and and other things with mono and sgen. Probably 20-30 total. Is this normal ?

>> At face value, I'm not sure that sounds 'normal'.

I noticed in community package centre there is a "mono" package. There is also one or two packages I think that I saw mentioned in relation to Emby, ffmpeg amongst others. Could it be beneficial / destructive for Emby to install these?

>> The Emby Server package is completely self contained, you don't need to install or configure anything else, other than what is documented in the install and setting up your media guide on the wiki. Keeping uninstalling/reinstalling/stopping/starting/re-starting isn't going to help us get to a conclusion. If the package installs correctly and runs, then that is it as far as that part of the setup goes. How it behaves with your desired library configuration is what we need to focus on.

>> Finally, can you provide details of how you would like your system setup - i.e. provide details of the libraries you would like to setup and the number of items you expect to have under each one, so we can get a sense of what you are trying to achieve and the volumes.

Best

- James

With Mono, ffmpeg etc. available in continually updated versions in Synology package center - does it have any purpose installing these ? Will e.g. Emby find/be told where to find a new ffmpeg install and it will be linked and be able to use the new version? Subsonic also has some trouble with ffmpeg/transcoding, could installing one (of AFAIK at least two available from different publishers)  Send me a msg talk soon bye

Hello @@muppets4

Assuming you are running the latest stable, use 4.0 as the FFmpeg version - let me know how you get on.

I'll take a look at making this a little more straightforward with the next stable; it is an experimental feature.

Best

- James

Sorry, what procedure did you do again? the post just has so many things that you did that it's not clear. thanks.

I meant the prominent page you have on your site that easily shows up when searching that instructs to login via SSH to enable hw transcoding on evansport (the one where the output is something strange like "ffmpeg version changed to 0.0.0.0". If that is something that is not necessary to do anymore ? In my experience any ssh command line stuff on Synology to do with ffmpeg will cause problems because like practically every media related function uses it in one way or another.

solabc16

With Mono, ffmpeg etc. available in continually updated versions in Synology package center - does it have any purpose installing these ? Will e.g. Emby find/be told where to find a new ffmpeg install and it will be linked and be able to use the new version? Subsonic also has some trouble with ffmpeg/transcoding, could installing one (of AFAIK at least two available from different publishers)  Send me a msg talk soon bye

Hello @@eevv

This is answered in my response above - https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/43282-hw-transcoding-on-evansport-ds415playds214play-machines/?p=606277, the answer is still no.

Best

- James

solabc16

I meant the prominent page you have on your site that easily shows up when searching that instructs to login via SSH to enable hw transcoding on evansport (the one where the output is something strange like "ffmpeg version changed to 0.0.0.0". If that is something that is not necessary to do anymore ? In my experience any ssh command line stuff on Synology to do with ffmpeg will cause problems because like practically every media related function uses it in one way or another.

Hello @@eevv

This entirely specific to Emby Server and is the whole reason this thread exists, as explained and discussed throughout its five pages; it will have no impact on your system outside of that.

Best
- James

OK, but can the emby ffmpeg be used by others then? Subsonic Synology transcoding never works but perhaps I could change the Subsonic ffmpeg commands to include the path to the Emby ffmpeg ? If that would work, what is the path ? The Subsonic standard transcoding ffmpeg command uses lots of parameters, I mean like "ffmpeg -a -b -1 -2", they would be the same for your version ? Thanks.

• 2 months later...

Hallo,

I'm new to Emby with specific interest for H/W transcoding on DS415play. Installed the Emby server package a few days ago and let it update to 3.5.3.0-16; DSM 6.2.1-23824 Update 1
When I try to switch on H/W transcoding as per the instructions i do get a failed error message on Validating Version and the script exits. Thanks in advance for putting me back on track.

Patje

********************************************************************************
Script invoked as [./switchcomp] by [root].                         
File Version : 3.5.3.0-16                               
********************************************************************************

This script enables you to safely switch versions of the internal components    
used by the package. PLEASE ONLY USE AS DIRECTED BY SUPPORT                     

Type [yes] and press return to continue: yes

Requested Component  : ffmpeg
Requested Version    : 0.0.0

Validating Component : SUCCESS
Validating Version   : FAILED

ERROR: Switch component returned an error, exiting script.

Edited by patje57

solabc16

Hello @@patje57

Thanks for getting in touch, I'm afraid there's a problem in this build relating to this (experimental) feature.

If you are comfortable SSHing to your system, you can resolve it by running the following:-

sudo sed -e 's/v\$2/\$2/' -i.bak /var/packages/EmbyServer/scripts/utilities/switchcomp

If you're not, let me know and we'll find another way to resolve it for your.

Best
- James

NOTE: For anybody else reading this, the above applies to 3.5.3.0-16 on 'evansport' based systems only.
Edited by solabc16

Hallo @@solabc16

Thanks James, the solution works OK, running the switch script after changed the ffmpeg component and activated the h/w transcoding. Confirmed both by monitoring resources and in the transcoding log (did only run a quick check on 1 file).

I'm back on track.

Mvg, Patje

• 4 months later...

It works on my DS214play with Emby 4.0.2.0 and ffmpeg 4.1 when I used:

Change the FFmpeg version, using 'sudo ./switchcomp ffmpeg 0.0.0'.

But it doesn't work with files with DTS audio. It just doesn't play.

I also tried: 'sudo ./switchcomp ffmpeg 0.0.0'

but then HW transcoding doesn't work anymore.

Is there a work around to make DTS work with HW transcoding on the new 4.0 Emby server?

It works on my DS214play with Emby 4.0.2.0 and ffmpeg 4.1 when I used:

Change the FFmpeg version, using 'sudo ./switchcomp ffmpeg 0.0.0'.

But it doesn't work with files with DTS audio. It just doesn't play.

I also tried: 'sudo ./switchcomp ffmpeg 0.0.0'

but then HW transcoding doesn't work anymore.

Is there a work around to make DTS work with HW transcoding on the new 4.0 Emby server?

Hi there, in order for us to best help you, please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. thanks !

Did you hack around with the install package? Because somehow you managed to replace the ffmpeg build with the Synology version and that's not supported.

ffmpeg version 2.7.1 Copyright (c) 2000-2015 the FFmpeg developers
  built with gcc 4.9.3 (crosstool-NG 1.20.0) 20150311 (prerelease)
  configuration: --prefix=/usr --incdir='${prefix}/include/ffmpeg' --arch=i686 --target-os=linux --cross-prefix=/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu- --enable-cross-compile --enable-optimizations --enable-pic --enable-gpl --enable-shared --disable-static --enable-version3 --enable-nonfree --enable-libfaac --enable-encoders --enable-pthreads --disable-bzlib --disable-protocol=rtp --disable-muxer=image2 --disable-muxer=image2pipe --disable-swscale-alpha --disable-ffserver --disable-ffplay --disable-devices --disable-bzlib --disable-altivec --enable-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libmp3lame --disable-vaapi --disable-decoder=amrnb --disable-decoder=ac3 --disable-decoder=ac3_fixed --disable-encoder=zmbv --disable-encoder=dca --disable-encoder=ac3 --disable-encoder=ac3_fixed --disable-encoder=eac3 --disable-decoder=dca --disable-decoder=eac3 --disable-decoder=truehd --cc=/usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/i686-pc-linux-gnu-ccache-gcc --enable-yasm --enable-libx264 --enable-encoder=libx264 --enable-libh264_smd --enable-smd --disable-filter=hqdn3d --extra-libs='-lgdl -losal -lpal -lsven -lismd_core -lismd_audio -lismd_viddec -lismd_videnc -lismd_vidpproc -lplatform_config -lffmpeg_plugin -ljson-c '
  libavutil      54. 27.100 / 54. 27.100
  libavcodec     56. 41.100 / 56. 41.100

See how it says ffmpeg 2.7.1, that's not our ffmpeg build. 

@@solabc16

No I just installed the ffmpeg package in package centre and did the hack described in the first post.

Does this mean 2.7.1 is installed on the whole Synology system or only for emby server?