• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#61 johanbcn OFFLINE  

johanbcn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 03:36 PM

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:03 PM

I have been playing around with Emby on my DS214Play and overall it's working pretty good :)

There are some files, though, that I can't transcode to chromecast. Seems that the ffmpeg command is not being built correctly:

/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg: eval: line 196: syntax error near unexpected token `min'
/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/ffmpeg/bin/ffmpeg: eval: line 196: `sudo /usr/bin/ffmpeg -f matroska,webm -i file:"/volume1/EmbyTest/movies/test.mkv" -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -codec:v:0 h264_smd -prefer_smd -force_key_frames "expr:gte(t,n_forced*5)" -copyts -avoid_negative_ts disabled -start_at_zero -filter_complex [0:5]scale=1920:802:force_original_aspect_ratio=decrease[sub];[0:0][sub]overlay,scale=trunc(min(max(iw\,ih*dar)\,1920)/2)*2:trunc(ow/dar/2)*2 -pix_fmt yuv420p -preset superfast -crf 23 -maxrate 11926739 -bufsize 23853478 -profile:v high -level 4.1 -x264opts:0 subme=0:me_range=4:rc_lookahead=10:me=dia:no_chroma_me:8x8dct=0:partitions=none -vsync -1 -map_metadata -1 -map_chapters -1 -threads 0 -codec:a:0 aac -strict experimental -ac 2 -ab 384000 -af volume=2 -y "/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/transcoding-temp/2bdac344ba7c244f3e1acef886c0c5d1.mkv"'

Ok, I have figured it out. It's a message thrown by the shell, not by ffmpeg. The value of the filter_complex argument should be wrapped in double quotes for it to work correctly, such as this:

sudo /usr/bin/ffmpeg -f matroska,webm -i file:"/volume1/EmbyTest/movies/test.mkv" -map 0:0 -map 0:1 -codec:v:0 h264_smd -prefer_smd -force_key_frames "expr:gte(t,n_forced*5)" -copyts -avoid_negative_ts disabled -start_at_zero -filter_complex "[0:5]scale=1920:802:force_original_aspect_ratio=decrease[sub];[0:0][sub]overlay,scale=trunc(min(max(iw\,ih*dar)\,1920)/2)*2:trunc(ow/dar/2)*2" -pix_fmt yuv420p -preset superfast -crf 23 -maxrate 11926739 -bufsize 23853478 -profile:v high -level 4.1 -x264opts:0 subme=0:me_range=4:rc_lookahead=10:me=dia:no_chroma_me:8x8dct=0:partitions=none -vsync -1 -map_metadata -1 -map_chapters -1 -threads 0 -codec:a:0 aac -strict experimental -ac 2 -ab 384000 -af volume=2 -y "/var/packages/EmbyServer/target/var/transcoding-temp/2bdac344ba7c244f3e1acef886c0c5d1.mkv"

#62 Darkjeje OFFLINE  

Darkjeje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Local time: 04:36 PM
  • LocationFrance

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:29 PM

Do you have any news to have transcoding options from the web menu for the ds214play ?

#63 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137760 posts
  • Local time: 10:36 AM

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:32 PM

Do you have any news to have transcoding options from the web menu for the ds214play ?

Can you elaborate more on what exactly you're asking? Thanks !

#64 Darkjeje OFFLINE  

Darkjeje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:34 AM

Can you elaborate more on what exactly you're asking? Thanks !

Hello Luke,

I wanted to know if we could now have hardware transcoding without going through ssh but directly from the dashboard ?

5b0b94fbdd432_Emby.png

I wanted to know if we could now have hardware transcoding without going through ssh but directly from the dashboard

• erikblues likes this

#65 muppets4 OFFLINE  

muppets4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:07 PM

Hello Luke,

I wanted to know if we could now have hardware transcoding without going through ssh but directly from the dashboard ?
5b0b94fbdd432_Emby.png

I wanted to know if we could now have hardware transcoding without going through ssh but directly from the dashboard[/size]

I was hoping for this too. Is there a possibility?
  • erikblues likes this

#66 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137760 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 06:23 PM

Have you tried enabling vaapi?

#67 muppets4 OFFLINE  

muppets4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:02 AM

After I did what was in the topic start I am not able to start any live TV anymore. The screen stays black with the circle that keeps circling (:

I've added the ffmpeg log.

And I can't seem to get it off again. I used sudo ./switchcomp ffmpeg 3.4.1 and it gives me a fail on validating version

Attached Files

Edited by muppets4, 12 July 2018 - 06:42 AM.

#68 muppets4 OFFLINE  

muppets4

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 185 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 12 July 2018 - 06:02 AM

Have you tried enabling vaapi?

I tried. Makes no difference.

#69 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137760 posts

Posted 12 July 2018 - 09:25 AM

Looks like an encoding failure. We'll see what @solabc16 thinks. Thanks.

#70 solabc16 OFFLINE  

solabc16

Advanced Member

• ForumMod
  • 1969 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:20 AM

Hello @muppets4

Assuming you are running the latest stable, use 4.0 as the FFmpeg version - let me know how you get on.

I'll take a look at making this a little more straightforward with the next stable; it is an experimental feature.

Best

- James

#71 solabc16 OFFLINE  

solabc16

Advanced Member

• ForumMod
  • 1969 posts

Posted 13 July 2018 - 06:45 AM

Hello All

On some of the other points, it's probably best to refer back to these posts... we'll keep looking at how to make the experience as good as it can be and make changes where it makes sense to do so.

Anybody who is running DSM 6.2 on their DS415play or DS214play system, it would helpful if you could run the following: https://github.com/M...us-Support-Logs

Best
- James

Edited by solabc16, 13 July 2018 - 06:45 AM.

#72 eevv OFFLINE  

eevv

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:41 AM

Installed the official Emby .spk from Synology Community Package Center

On my Synology DS415PLAY Evansport with hardware transcoding capabilities

Latest DSM 6.2-23739-2 and Emby version installed was 3.5.0.0-1

I then ran the SSH commands listed for DSM6 at the first post in this thread, like this:

-------------------------------------

Using username . .
password:
:$ cd /var/packages/EmbyServer/scripts/utilities
:/var/packages/EmbyServer/scripts/utilities$ sudo ./switchcomp ffmpeg 0.0.0.0

We trust you have received the usual lecture ffem the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

Password:

Script invoked as [./switchcemp] by [root].
File Version : 3.5.0.0—l

This script enables you to safely switch versions of the internal components
used by the package. PLEASE ONLY USE AS DIRECTED BY SUPPORT

Type [yes] and press return to continue: yes

Requested Cfimponent : ffmpeg
Requested Version : 0.0.0

Validating Component : SUCCESS
Validating Version : SUCCESS

Component [ffmpeg] successfully switched to version [0.0.0].

*** Please stop and start Emby Server in Package Center for the changes to take effect. ***

-------------------------------------

Restarted Emby both from the internal dashboard reboot and a start/stop from the package center

One difference: I could not log in as "admin", login rejected, I logged in with my personal (admin) account, and I think the way it works in DSM at the moment is you can do sudo/root etc. kind of stuff as long as you are  presented with the We trust you have received the usual lecture ffem the local System Administrator message first and then retype your password ?

It looks from the output pasted above that the specified commands are carried out successfully even though I logged in as my own admin username not "admin" ?

More important question - 

do you still have to do these SSH commands even though you install official spk directly from Synology package center ? If so it's really important so you get hw transcoding but there is no warning about this anywhere that I can see, I just came across these instructions on the forum. 

Most important question -

after installing Emby and doing the SSH commands outlined above, under Server - Transcoding - Hardware Acceleration, which option do I choose ? There is no "auto" option as I have seen in other documentation. There is:

AMD AMF

Intel Quick Sync

MediaCodec Android

OpenMAX OMX

Nvidia NVENC

Video Acceleration API (VA API)

Exonys V4L2 MFC Encoder

I have searched thoroughly for anything in the DS415PLAY data sheets etc. for more information about which of these, if any, support the Intel Evansport CE5335 Atom processor. According to my research Intel Quick Sync it is not, in spite of Evansport being a Intel processor. 

Which option if any do I choose?

Are the SSH commands still necessary even when you do a normal Synology package center Emby install ?

How can I tell if transcoding is being used or not when I'm playing a file ?

Many detailed questions, I know, I am an enthusiastic newbie and eager to learn, hope someone can help. Thank you.

#73 Darkjeje OFFLINE  

Darkjeje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 29 July 2018 - 12:57 PM

Hello James,

I send my log, if I can help you with DSM 6.2.

sendlogs_DiskstationJR_synology_evansport_214play_20180729T165749UTC.tgz

#74 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137760 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 02:30 PM

hi @eevv

Are the SSH commands still necessary even when you do a normal Synology package center Emby install ?

Have you followed our Synology install guide here? https://emby.media/nas-server.html

How can I tell if transcoding is being used or not when I'm playing a file ?

Yes the server dashboard will display this information. Many Emby apps also have ways to show this in the video player directly. Does this answer your question?

#75 eevv OFFLINE  

eevv

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:49 PM

Yes have followed that guide 

So the FFMPEG change that I did was NOT necesssary and that documentation should not be out there then ? Could I have broken anything now ? It gives the impression this must be done in spite of official package etc., these installs should usually also set the shared folder permissions they need etc. too 

Yes I've seen the "stats for nerds" option for videos sometimes say "transcode". CPU etc goes up to over 90% for at least beginning of a transcoding movie (when I've checked it) and IMMEDIATELY cpu usage etc goes down when the movie is turnedoff ... but isnt transcoding supposed to be a dedicated hardware component that processes stuff the CPU otherwise would have done, thereby... so isn't supposed to transcode accompanied by high high CPU usage, while the others, "direct play" etc., my CPU usage is maybe 20% of the other scenario.

- so from this I can at least conclude that there is no hw transcoding when I use the Synology Emby server ? ds415play tips reeived with thanks  

hi @eevv

Have you followed our Synology install guide here? https://emby.media/nas-server.html

Yes the server dashboard will display this information. Many Emby apps also have ways to show this in the video player directly. Does this answer your question?

#76 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 137760 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 10:14 PM

As far as documentation goes, @solabc16 can comment on that. We'd have to look at a specific playback example. There are some situations where Vaapi can't be used. Also it could have raised an error, in which case we automatically switch to cpu transcoding.

#77 solabc16 OFFLINE  

solabc16

Advanced Member

• ForumMod
  • 1969 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 04:55 PM

Hello James,

I send my log, if I can help you with DSM 6.2.

sendlogs_DiskstationJR_synology_evansport_214play_20180729T165749UTC.tgz

Thanks @Darkjeje, appreciated.

Best

- James

#78 solabc16 OFFLINE  

solabc16

Advanced Member

• ForumMod
  • 1969 posts

Posted 30 July 2018 - 05:08 PM

Hello @eevv

First thing, would be to look at this post above https://emby.media/c...hines/?p=596880 and then follow the links I referenced there, if you want some further background.

To put your mind at rest, there is nothing wrong with the documentation and the steps you've taken won't have 'broken anything'.

The machines based on the 'evansport' architecture are unique and aren't supported by any of the current transcoding standards; hence the specific workaround here in response to user demands - it is experimental, but for those users wishing to get involved a little deeper it gives the opportunity to benefit in some scenarios from h/w transcoding.

On 'evansport' machines the transcoding should be set to 'None' under the system configuration.

In brief, so as to not repeat previous content, Synology didn't contribute their patches back to the FFmpeg project. So the only way of leveraging the h/w transcoding on this specific h/w is to make use of the FFmpeg that is shipped with DSM. This is an old version, but does a reasonable job for the media it does support - see community feedback above. You will see that the FFmpeg version shipped by Synology includes the following in its configuration '--enable-libh264_smd --enable-smd'.

Let us know a bit more about how you have your system setup and the type of media you have in your libraries, then we can see what options you could consider. As I've posted elsewhere, the primary goal when planning your system setup (especially on this kind of h/w), is to minimise the need for transcoding at all - i.e. make it the exception and aim to direct play wherever possible.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16, 30 July 2018 - 05:09 PM.

#79 solabc16 OFFLINE  

solabc16

Advanced Member

• ForumMod
  • 1969 posts

Posted 31 July 2018 - 06:59 AM

Hello @Darkjeje

Your system appears to be working well, if you get a chance can you run the diagnostics before running the send logs again. Thanks.

https://github.com/M...Run-Diagnostics

https://github.com/M...us-Support-Logs

Best

- James

#80 Darkjeje OFFLINE  

Darkjeje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 31 July 2018 - 03:46 PM

Hello @Darkjeje

Your system appears to be working well, if you get a chance can you run the diagnostics before running the send logs again. Thanks.

https://github.com/M...Run-Diagnostics

https://github.com/M...us-Support-Logs

Best

- James

It's done !!!

sendlogs_DiskstationJR_synology_evansport_214play_20180731T194710UTC.tgz

Thank you for your work James !

Edited by Darkjeje, 31 July 2018 - 03:46 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Synology, Evansport, Hardware Transcoding

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users