Future build and gaming system rebuild

mediacowboy

SHSPVR

Yeah I was thinking that. I have had to put this on hold for a few weeks.

So how it working out for you so far mediacowboy ?

mediacowboy

So how it working out for you so far mediacowboy ?

I had a sick kid two weekends ago and now the wife is sick. I have bought some more parts for the mounting of the LSI card. What I am thinking now is use this with a screw on the inside of the cage and then one for the card on the other side with a nylon washer between the card and screw. I will do one test hole with a hard drive I have laying around to make sure this idea will work hopefully this weekend. I am hoping with in the next few weeks to get a few more parts as I will have double time pay for working on MLK day and a Performance bonus. Hard Drives will have to wait but I hope to get the system booted and then buy a hard drive every pay period.

Also I have started gaming using a Geforce GTX 660 Ti for now. It is on loan from a friend from work. I realized quick that a wireless mouse and keyboard wouldn't work. So instead of buying parts last Friday I bought a Razer Blackwidow Chroma keyboard and a Razer Naga Hex v2 mouse. Between all three items I have been able to stay up all night with the sick family members.

mediacowboy

Card is mounted, kinda of. I will be replacing the motherboard stand offs so that I can put a screw on top of the card instead of a nut. But all in all I like it.

0df0a89d52b22519bed3f773c99da2d5.jpg

4de8a1e812afbde69ca5f0b24c800294.jpg

The harddrive bay that the three screws are near is a little tight but still works. Hoping to get more of this done within the next month or so.

Edited by mediacowboy

mediacowboy

For anyone following here is the final pictures of how I decided to mount my card. I still have a lot of parts to buy but the hard part is done. 

b5004d6eb5d46e0f58ffc715448c5902.jpg

d1db840089c341ba517d45993b7a8d32.jpg

9ffc1347b3bb71e655a51c053fc3ca4a.jpg

Cable management is going to be tight but I think I'll get it sorted. I did turn the top 120 MM fan 90 degrees to make the fan connectors come up at the top of the case instead of in the middle.

c6736add851fc61ab04da242b62d8d87.jpg

I'll keep you posted as I buy more parts.

I have also decide to add a 2 TB 2.5 hard drive to the build for misc items and converting which I haven't bought yet.

Thanks @@SHSPVR, @, and @@PenkethBoy.

Edited by mediacowboy

PenkethBoy

Good - looks like the card shold be nice an cool with the fans so close - i assume there are vents on the back side of the fans?

mediacowboy

Well you guy's corrupted me and I bought another LSI 9211-8i for my current/gaming system as I wanted to eliminate the two 4 port sata cards I had. I bought this one on ebay for 79.00 with a $10 off coupon, $89 full cost, for the other one being late. It is installed and connected to my currently seven hard drives to give me under windows a total of 32.7 TB of which I am using 17 TB.

• Like 2

Guest asrequested

Well you guy's corrupted me and I bought another LSI 9211-8i for my current/gaming system as I wanted to eliminate the two 4 port sata cards I had. I bought this one on ebay for 79.00 with a $10 off coupon, $89 full cost, for the other one being late. It is installed and connected to my currently seven hard drives to give me under windows a total of 32.7 TB of which I am using 17 TB.

You're welcome lol

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

:) Anytime you want corrupting you know where we are  :D  :P

colejack

Just wait until you find out that you can buy Dell H200/H310 adapters for only ~$40 and flash them to LSI IT-mode. HBA's for everyone!

I currently have 3 and counting.

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Just wait until you find out that you can buy Dell H200/H310 adapters for only ~$40 and flash them to LSI IT-mode. HBA's for everyone!

I currently have 3 and counting.

Ooh you can do that! - nice - any links for how to or is it the same as flashing the 9211-8i???

• Like 1

PenkethBoy

Thanks

So no different to the LSi normal LSI flash - just need the correct bios and fw for my H310

mediacowboy

@@CBers, I know you use Drive Bender and have a question for you as I am building this new server and wanted your input. Do you think I would benefit from buying a landing drive for drive bender with the drives I am using for storage? 

Update:

I ordered the motherboard, cpu cooler, and a Seagate 2 TB barraCude 2.5" hard drive. I still haven't ordered the power supply, cpu, ram, or the storage drives. I am getting closer. I hope this next paid day I can order everything but the storage drives which I am hoping to get those once I get taxes back, will have to wait and see.

The 2TB hard drive will be for misc stuff like converting media and downloading. 

CBers

@@CBers, I know you use Drive Bender and have a question for you as I am building this new server and wanted your input. Do you think I would benefit from buying a landing drive for drive bender with the drives I am using for storage?

A landing zone disc may benefit you if you have constant writes, but if, like me, it's only a few files each day, then it might not be worth the effort or cost.

I don't use one, as my DB pool is mainly read-from.

Did you see Anthony's blog about Drive Xtender, where you can create a pool of mixed local and cloud drives?

https://blog.division-m.com/2017/02/02/a-view-from-the-drivers-seat/

mediacowboy

Dang running out of room quick and still have a power supply, 2.5 hard drive cage and a water cooler. I really need the cpu, ram, and power supply.

43ab8cdb955d1a9fc6fbe68bfe54863c.jpg

mediacowboy

Okay well without the power supply. I think I got everything mounted. I still need to work on cable management but it is better.

fd93b7da2c839a4ccc28fb8bd7e06970.jpg

c0e0db16bf2799124b764861db757526.jpg

Edited by mediacowboy

mediacowboy

2 - 120 mm intake pulling back over the radiator and out the back. We will see what happens. I don't think I could fit another fan in there for the cpu either way.

I am open for suggestions on how to cool it better. I'm thinking a shorter PCI extension would help.

Edited by mediacowboy